• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the idling program when it came out, and got a Batter's Helm. I was also taking all highest level weapons I got and keeping them, then deleting the lower level ones.

When they banned the use of the program, I lost my beloved Batter's Helm and over half my inventory...

OH WELL

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
ArtistDude88 said:
I used the idling program when it came out, and got a Batter's Helm. I was also taking all highest level weapons I got and keeping them, then deleting the lower level ones.

When they banned the use of the program, I lost my beloved Batter's Helm and over half my inventory...

OH WELL

I lost my soldier's medal because Valve thought I was using it... I never got it back.

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
I don't see the problem. Valve gave some hats for people who didn't do this a long time ago, but who gives a crap, they aren't doing that again and it is not bannable in any form.

There's a better way to idle though. Through some idling program via text or something, I really don't idle. Ceebs or DrKirby should know.
make a shortcut to Steam and under properties put this in the target line

D:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -nopix -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw +map "cp_dustbowl"

replace the D:\Steam\Steam.exe with the location you installed to.

It's also not an idling program, it's just running TF2 in text mode.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Iadien said:
I lost my soldier's medal because Valve thought I was using it... I never got it back.
So you're still looking for your medal, just like your father is still looking for you, amirighte JAAAASOOOOOOOOOON!

As far as I know, Valve returned the items. Maybe drop them an email? That medal can be worth quite a bit.

commissar

If you are going to idle just remember there's no point doing so unless you can't play for (iirc) seven hours in a week. More than that is wasting power :(

commissar said:
If you are going to idle just remember there's no point doing so unless you can't play for (iirc) seven hours in a week. More than that is wasting power :(
Isn't it based on the number of drops not the time? I normally get all my drops in 2 days if I play for about 2 hours straight each day.

Ceebs

commissar said:
I just like going to sleep and waking up to a stack of new drops. It's like a weekly Christmas morning.

Remy

The OS X version of TF2 has the advantage of not taking 30-75 seconds of janky audio skips to recover after you app switch away - you command-tab back in, and the game is just there.

On the other hand, the performance is notably lower on the exact same hardware. Speaking from personal experience as I tend to play under Boot Camp.

One small weird side-effect: the fonts are different, and it really fucks with my head looking at the OS X HUD.

Yeef

Remy said:
The OS X version of TF2 has the advantage of not taking 30-75 seconds of janky audio skips to recover after you app switch away - you command-tab back in, and the game is just there.
You shouldn't have that problem if you play windowed (with no border obviously). Also, I have my TF2 set to still output to the speakers even when it's not focused.

As for idling, I used to only do it when I knew I wouldn't be able to play much that week, but now I actually have two idle accounts. I had been planning to buy a backpack extender from the store, but then I realized that it was cheaper (free in my case) to just get the extra accounts. Then once I had the accounts it seemed silly not to idle them for the extra items. This way I have triple the space, and should have what I need to craft stuff instantly when new items are released (I used to just convert everything to metal to save space).

Yeef said:
You shouldn't have that problem if you play windowed (with no border obviously). Also, I have my TF2 set to still output to the speakers even when it's not focused.

As for idling, I used to only do it when I knew I wouldn't be able to play much that week, but now I actually have two idle accounts. I had been planning to buy a backpack extender from the store, but then I realized that it was cheaper (free in my case) to just get the extra accounts. Then once I had the accounts it seemed silly not to idle them for the extra items. This way I have triple the space, and should have what I need to craft stuff instantly when new items are released (I used to just convert everything to metal to save space).
Maybe I should have gifted myself that extra copy I had instead of giving it away! Now I just feel sad. =(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the replay thing still is taking up a player slot, allowing only 23 people to play.

Edit: nope, just crazy.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Kuro Madoushi said:
So you're still looking for your medal, just like your father is still looking for you, amirighte JAAAASOOOOOOOOOON!

As far as I know, Valve returned the items. Maybe drop them an email? That medal can be worth quite a bit.

I have no idea what this is referring to.

I received everything except the medal, and I emailed them about it, no response.

Ydahs

So, after loading the game up for the first time in months and downloading all the updates... it doesn't work. It just crashes whenever it's "retrieving server info" on server load :(

Any idea why? The only hardware difference between now and then is a new monitor. Could that be a related issue? Is there a crash log somewhere which I can access?

I need my TF2 fix!

edit: seems the problem might be AA. when I change to anything other than 'None', it freezes :\

Why does the server show 23/23 players, but when I joined there were twelve people in each team?

Anyway, I had some calls to attend to and I was kicked by the time I came back. Let me in already!

Orellio said:
People need to learn how to take out a sentry, dear lord. Twice tonight my team got stopped by a lone engineer.
I'm the greatest engineer in the history of WORLD.

In all seriousness, my sentry in A point in Steel had a crazy kill count. I don't know how I didn't die while defending it.

And the dispenser that saved my ass wasn't even mine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to sound like I'm pimping another server since I'm part of another forum as well, but you guys might want to go to

Gibbed Gaming: (http://www.gibbedgaming.com/)

Server ID: (64.94.238.10:27015)

There are a couple of Gaffers that go on there from time to time (myself, Yeef, Javaman, Ketch, Evilmario, Whoreleo, etc etc etc). It's a bit more serious pants gaming there, but I'm just providing another server for you guys to try out. No replay yet though... :'(

Twig

Banned
join server

mic still doesn't work

fiddle with it for five minutes

mic still doesn't work

game crashes immediately after i give up and decide to play without mic

fuck tf2

Yeef, stay away from playing Sniper. For you, and mine, sake!

In the mean time, I'll stay away from playing Pyro myself.

DBC63BD21A6CB9F5575D9E47305F453337201CDA

There needs to a "Destroying Sentries, Dispenser and their engineers" course, including me. Wartime is the only one that always destroys my sentries without letting me do something about it!

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Yeef, stay away from playing Sniper. For you, and mine, sake!

In the mean time, I'll stay away from playing Pyro myself.
Pffft. More like stay away from rifle. I am pretty good with Huntsman and don't really care for the rifle, but everyone was playing classes they suck at on Mountain Lab. That was our team theme. Also, I got stuck in the geometry going up on top of the cave at the first point, but instead of exploding I just waiting for someone to come close enough for me to snipe.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EasyTGT said:
Here's a replay of me killing Java for the umpteenth time.
YouTube

EDIT: Kuro complained that he couldn't tell it was Java, so I had to make another one... this time from his point of view to reach maximum humiliation potential. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxpOp8Ktps&feature=youtube_gdata

JAVA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

@ Twiggy, when I had to reinstall, I had a lot of crashes as well. I'd suggest completely uninstalling and deleting the entire TF2 folder. Worked for me.

Forkball

I had some good rampages as a Sniper on Degroot. I killed five or six guys with my Bushwacka on point A, and taunted right on the point after I finished them off. Awesome replay, right? TOO BAD THE DOWNLOAD FAILED. I also killed three people with three crits on the last point to single handedly defend it. Download failed again. I know a lot of people hate Degroot, but that map has a lot of potential for fun and crazy replays.

Forkball said:
I had some good rampages as a Sniper on Degroot. I killed five or six guys with my Bushwacka on point A, and taunted right on the point after I finished them off. Awesome replay, right? TOO BAD THE DOWNLOAD FAILED. I also killed three people with three crits on the last point to single handedly defend it. Download failed again. I know a lot of people hate Degroot, but that map has a lot of potential for fun and crazy replays.
I hate that map because I can't use Jarate, but I can use mad milk? Piss is older than the middle ages in any case!

Ketch

Rlan said:
Got to say, the Team Fortress 2 Video Editor is super slick and easy to use.

ugh, I disagree... It's pretty limited, you'd pretty much have to use an outside video editor for anything really cool. Also, the controls are wack, I kept hitting spacebar instead of left clicking and lowering the camera when I wanted it to go up.... I don't like it very much.

Remy

Sgt.Pepper said:
Why does the server show 23/23 players, but when I joined there were twelve people in each team?

Anyway, I had some calls to attend to and I was kicked by the time I came back. Let me in already!

The addition of replays has made it a little complicated to exactly understand how the server slots get advertised.

When 3.0 launched, the setting appeared to be:

25 slots leased and running
24 slots advertised in server.cfg
23 slots appear in the TF2 server browser (because tf2 removes the slot with the replay spectator?)

I just changed the advertisement configuration to 25. Hopefully it'll now look like there's 24.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
I've yet to see blu win degroot...

DarkKyo

EasyTGT said:
ugh, I disagree... It's pretty limited, you'd pretty much have to use an outside video editor for anything really cool. Also, the controls are wack, I kept hitting spacebar instead of left clicking and lowering the camera when I wanted it to go up.... I don't like it very much.
Yeah but come on.. for its purposes? The replay editor is fcking awesome. Super easy to use.. very intuitive interface even for those with no video editing experience. Can you think of any other game that renders high quality replays like that? It's limited in terms of what you can do with it, of course, but it gives you so many more options than something simple like fraps which would just record the normal first person view.

Kuro Madoushi said:
I've yet to see blu win degroot...
That happens almost all the time, if anything that maps needs to get a lower capture rate on both A/B. They get captured so fast it is not even worth trying to defend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom