• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Recently I've been having this weird framerate glitch. Sometimes my framerate is cut in half, and it doesn't even get that high during the death screen. It randomly does this. For example, last night on the GAF server on Hightower, one round my framerate was normal, but then the very next round it did that problem. Again, on Nightfall it was fine, but then during Dustbowl, it did it again. It seems to go away when I restart Steam. I ran CCleaner last night just in case and it hasn't done it since, maybe it's just a weird glitch, but it's annoying.

And putting a sentry on the payload tracks is cheating. COMEBACK MORE LIKE CHEATBACK.

Also I punch Commodore to death.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, it has taken months but one of the TF2 updates finally caused my computer to also start having frame rate issues and crashes. Ah, good ol' Valve.

Ceebs

I actually got a framerate boost with one of the recent updates. I had to stay at 4xaa to keep 60fps, but now I can cruise at 8 with the only hiccups being something like 20 person rocket spam.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I've been able to keep my FPS good, with TF2defrag.bat. I run that after each patch.

DarkKyo

Ceebs said:
I actually got a framerate boost with one of the recent updates. I had to stay at 4xaa to keep 60fps, but now I can cruise at 8 with the only hiccups being something like 20 person rocket spam.
Probably the hatless update.. one of the advertised features was dynamic model loading or something.

Clydefrog said:
Even if TF2 was the crashiest crash of a game that ever crashed, we'd still be playing it daily.

Yep.

I remember playing Dungeon Siege with a buddy in co-op. I literally crashed every 30 min or so... But we kept playing it everyday for like a month till the very end :p

It wasn't until after I beat it did I realize having complex shadows on or something was making it crash, d'oh!

I think I'm skipping tonight. TF2 is making me lose sleep since the announcements are coming too late. >_<

I have to sleep at 9:30 PM to get my eight hours sleep time, because I have to wake up at 5:30 AM.

Clydefrog

Sgt.Pepper said:
I think I'm skipping tonight. TF2 is making me lose sleep since the announcements are coming too late. >_<

I have to sleep at 9:30 PM to get my eight hours sleep time, because I have to wake up at 5:30 AM.

Awww SgtPepper needs his beauty rest

Clydefrog said:
Awww SgtPepper needs his beauty rest
I'm a fitness freak and the beauty rest is totally needed! In fact, I've been sleeping around 5-6 hours those 2 weeks, that's not good at all!

Edit: Hey, and where the hell is my reuploaded movie? The one on hoodoo that was broken.

Remy said:

24bosjt.jpg

Forkball

My connection is borked or something. The internet seems to work fine, but my latency on TF2 is insane and it's also not connecting correctly to my iPhone. Hopefully the problem fixes itself. CCleaner also seems to screw up Steam, but I did the recommended fix and I don't think it's related.

[edit] Yeah my internet is acting weird too. I hope it's nothing major and just a passing issue. Although I'm pretty sure I hold the record for lowest and highest ping ever now.

[edit 2] It fixed itself, hooray!

Forkball said:
My connection is borked or something. The internet seems to work fine, but my latency on TF2 is insane and it's also not connecting correctly to my iPhone. Hopefully the problem fixes itself. CCleaner also seems to screw up Steam, but I did the recommended fix and I don't think it's related.

[edit] Yeah my internet is acting weird too. I hope it's nothing major and just a passing issue. Although I'm pretty sure I hold the record for lowest and highest ping ever now.

[edit 2] It fixed itself, hooray!

Usually when my internet is acting up, I just unplug the modem and router for a while.

Chinner

Banned
i dunno, i think some people just suck as medics even if they're not being pockets. its always the worst when you have to fight to get a medics attention, especially when its obvious you need help.

Chinner said:
i dunno, i think some people just suck as medics even if they're not being pockets. its always the worst when you have to fight to get a medics attention, especially when its obvious you need help.
And the way the game is coded, the medic wants to help the most injured person the most since that helps build up the uber faster.

As medic, I like hanging back behind 3 or so combatants and keeping all 3 topped up. It seems to be a better use of the medic resource than being a pocket medic. You keep more combatants in the field and you build ubers faster.

The choice of when to uber is tough . . . you want to be relative close to the buildings you want to attack, you want a combatant who has plenty of ammo loaded & ready, and you want someone that will use it well. Last night I kept being too picky and died holding many ubers . . . that is bad play. Better to waste an uber than to die.

corn_fest

Yeah, I generally try to hop around and keep the entire team at full health, but sometimes I feel like it's more effective to pocket someone for a while to push. I can't stand medics that do nothing but stick to a single person, though.
I do have problems with holding ubers too long and getting killed. I don't want to look silly and pop an uber with no enemies around U:

(._.)

Banned
corn_fest said:
Yeah, I generally try to hop around and keep the entire team at full health, but sometimes I feel like it's more effective to pocket someone for a while to push. I can't stand medics that do nothing but stick to a single person, though.
I do have problems with holding ubers too long and getting killed. I don't want to look silly and pop an uber with no enemies around U:
Yes, pocketing is very often times smart to do. You can still keep the team at full health while pocketing too if you use your mic and tell them to hold back for a second. Those medics that just stick on one heavy constantly getting killed for walking in front of them are the worst. Hitting "E" like six times then finally having to tell them over the mic to heal you = lol.

Vieo

How secure is this game in terms of aimbotters? I've bumped into some people who get ridiculous amounts of headshots and I'm beginning to think SOMETHING is up.

Forkball

I see a lot of people recommend newbies to play medic, but honestly medic is a difficult and important class, something that should be played by more experienced players. For one, if someone goes medic, chances are that's going to be the only medic on the team. That means someone who is actually good at medic and was willing to play one might see that there's already a medic and play a different class. And if something goes wrong, everyone will blame the medic, which is discouraging for new players. How many times have you heard, "we needed more medics/ubers" after a match? People should hold off on trying out medic until they know the maps and get the general flow of a match.

I try not to rage at newbies, but I got pretty mad a few nights ago when someone opened that damn door on the first point on Dustbowl. I didn't see who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was some soldier with a name I didn't recognize. Earlier in the match he kept just running through the door, taking pot shots at heavies that were trying to get in, but I told him don't open that door. There were a few minutes in the match, and I just build up and uber and was waiting for a demo, but then a fucking heavy/medic with kritz waltzes through and destroys our base and pretty much lost us the match because that guy probably opened the door thinking he could kill a heavy/medic combo from two feet away.

DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, bitchinh at medics...smh

1. N00b should start off as med to see how people play and react. Complaining about lack of medics pronably means YOU should be one.
2. More experienced medics don't like complainers and don't like going med when their team sucks.
3. Pockecting works if yor pocket knows what's up, listens, and protects you. A med isn't a fuckin dispenser. I deliberate don't heal people that get me killed and don't know shit. Don't like it? Play med.
4. Is there a med pack nearby? Are you a scout? Don't be lazy...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Medpacks don't overheal you.
Medpacks don't build uber.

I'd rather be healing someone headed to the front line who 'needs' that overheal than to waste time on a scout too lazy to get a medpack. 3 people headed to front line gets a buff over one guy close to a med pack screaming med.

If you're serious about building uber, the person you're healing can damage themselves. Or, you can and should be overhealing other people headed to the front lines.

I'm not saying a medic 'shouldn't' heal someone who will die for sure, but I'd rather not waste my time if the player isn't contributing or if there's a more pressing concern.

So, why pocket? Can that one guy do more than other people combined? Yes? Then the rest of the team can go to hell. No? Should be spreading heals.

Again, I remember on Java Server, my team was really stupid. I yell at Sciz to go heavy and stick with him the entire way. I don't know what the hell the rest of my team is doing, but Sciz and I jump to the top of the scoreboard and get all the way to the final point. Can't finish since the other team wised up and camped.

Basically, I'm just not a big fan of raging against medics unless you're offering good advice (I hope you're a better med than them), he's a battle medic (I've yet to see one that contributes to a team...medic chains are fun for short bursts, but not whole rounds), he's the only med (a bad medic is better than no medic).

Case in point, I was raging at a stupid ass medic to get the fucking full health pack behind me in Steel on point A. Why? I sure as hell am more experienced, I was covering him SO he could get it, he was about to die, he was our only medic, he was hiding in an area that could get hit with spam AND spies like to hide there.

Otherwise, my opinion is: unless you're willing to go med and tell that med to do something else, shut up.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
I'd rather be healing someone headed to the front line who 'needs' that overheal than to waste time on a scout too lazy to get a medpack. 3 people headed to front line gets a buff over one guy close to a med pack screaming med.
Depending on the game type and class chances are anyone NOT headed to the front lines are retreating for health and ammo, so they can head back to the conflict zone. A medic's healing rate is based on the time since the target was last damaged, so someone who's retreating from the front lines should heal pretty quickly. On top of that, a scout has pretty low HP and it takes all of 2 seconds to heal them up. No one expects a medic to chase people to top them off, but if you're healing someone who's fully overhealed and don't bother to top off your other teammates (assuming there's no danger) you're just being a dick and/or a crappy medic.

Basically, I'm just not a big fan of raging against medics unless you're offering good advice (I hope you're a better med than them), he's a battle medic (I've yet to see one that contributes to a team...medic chains are fun for short bursts, but not whole rounds), he's the only med (a bad medic is better than no medic).
"Heal me" is great advice. Especially if the medic isn't doing anything more useful at the moment. In Muju's case I can't say, because I didn't actually see what the situation was (I just heard him over voice chat) but I've had plenty of times where lone medics wandering around run past teammates without bothering to heal them even when they're not healing anyone.

Case in point, I was raging at a stupid ass medic to get the fucking full health pack behind me in Steel on point A. Why? I sure as hell am more experienced, I was covering him SO he could get it, he was about to die, he was our only medic, he was hiding in an area that could get hit with spam AND spies like to hide there.

Otherwise, my opinion is: unless you're willing to go med and tell that med to do something else, shut up.
"DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!" ;P

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Depending on the game type and class chances are anyone NOT headed to the front lines are retreating for health and ammo, so they can head back to the conflict zone. A medic's healing rate is based on the time since the target was last damaged, so someone who's retreating from the front lines should heal pretty quickly. On top of that, a scout has pretty low HP and it takes all of 2 seconds to heal them up. No one expects a medic to chase people to top them off, but if you're healing someone who's fully overhealed and don't bother to top off your other teammates (assuming there's no danger) you're just being a dick and/or a crappy medic.

"Heal me" is great advice. Especially if the medic isn't doing anything more useful at the moment. In Muju's case I can't say, because I didn't actually see what the situation was (I just heard him over voice chat) but I've had plenty of times where lone medics wandering around run past teammates without bothering to heal them even when they're not healing anyone.

"DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO!" ;P

Scout is still low priority. If he or anyone is burning to death, I'll try to help, otherwise they really should go get their own health.

In the second case, I'd say he's just a n00b. If he's the only medic on the team, the TEAM is to blame.

I raged GOOD advice! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom