• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Dechaios said:
Yeah but come on.. for its purposes? The replay editor is fcking awesome. Super easy to use.. very intuitive interface even for those with no video editing experience. Can you think of any other game that renders high quality replays like that? It's limited in terms of what you can do with it, of course, but it gives you so many more options than something simple like fraps which would just record the normal first person view.

Skate series on the consoles did it better... on the consoles!

It's a neat feature, very cool. But it's not a good editor.

Edit: Should also mention that it came in a free update. So there's that. Just wish there was some more post processing effects is all.

desh

Forkball said:
I had some good rampages as a Sniper on Degroot. I killed five or six guys with my Bushwacka on point A, and taunted right on the point after I finished them off. Awesome replay, right? TOO BAD THE DOWNLOAD FAILED. I also killed three people with three crits on the last point to single handedly defend it. Download failed again. I know a lot of people hate Degroot, but that map has a lot of potential for fun and crazy replays.
I was on there with you Forkball (I'm MUJU). At first I didn't like the Degroot gameplay, but I'm coming around to it; it's fun every once and a while. Crossbow Medic, and Fez Spy are pretty fun to play in this mod. Spy is good on defense, while Medic is a beast on offense. Although, I had a 15 kill streak going with Medic on defense that failed to download (grrr).

I found that offense is much easier than defense; offense seemed to win 80% of the time.

Ceebs

I just joined a Pony server by mistake. That was a harrowing experience. Everything from mic spam MLP songs to people talking about they need a dose of friendship. Creepy.

Ceebs said:
I just joined a Pony server by mistake. That was a harrowing experience. Everything from mic spam MLP songs to people talking about they need a dose of friendship. Creepy.
Same thing happened to me, except that it was my very first server I ever joined. A few of the players there tried to add me even though I was only on there for like 5 minutes. Scary stuff (some of the sprays were in WTF territory).

Ceebs said:
I did once, I bailed after 2-3 minutes. It was hilarious in my opinion.

Chinner

Banned
i actually wanna play on a mlp server to see how bad it is lol.

anyway, uploaded my first video!
http://youtu.be/G_74gzrqVIQ

at first i was really scrubby at it (which you can see with the first half), but you can do loads of stuff with this. gonna use it loads me thinks.

Chinner said:
i actually wanna play on a mlp server to see how bad it is lol.

anyway, uploaded my first video!
http://youtu.be/G_74gzrqVIQ

at first i was really scrubby at it (which you can see with the first half), but you can do loads of stuff with this. gonna use it loads me thinks.
The close up to the demo was really well done. I liked it!

AcciDante

Ceebs said:
...why do these servers exist!?

Grinchy

Banned
Man the replays have really made me realize how much I'm missing out by not having a good GPU. This game looks amazing at high framerates with AA and motion blur...

Ceebs

Grinchy said:
Man the replays have really made me realize how much I'm missing out by not having a good GPU. This game looks amazing at high framerates with AA and motion blur...
The game maxed out looks nothing like the replays. I run at max settings and 8XAA and the replays still shock me at how good they look. (not to say the game is not a looker during gameplay if you can turn on all the options.)

Just sent my laptop I play TF2 on off for repairs... looks like my TF2 hiatus will be a little longer. It's too bad, too, because it looks like the replay feature was just starting to work, too...

Grinchy said:
The added motion blur and other things make the game look even better in replays that in-game. =)

The game still looks pretty good after so many years, but I'd rather play with good framerate than the pretty graphics.

Example: Take my crappy video. It looks way better than on my screen since I play with low-settings, but you wouldn't notice it much in there.

Ceebs, if I get a gift wrap how much would you like for the Enthusiast Timepiece? It is the only thing I would like from Poker Night at the Inventory.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok, so I'm really, very, super LTTP.

Never played Team Fortress before. I've been wanting to for a while but felt like I needed to get my KBM skills up a little. They are about as good as they are going to get for now so I've decided to jump in and give it a shot. It's downloading now, at 33%

Everyone is always telling me how fun TF is. Time to find out.

Any advice for a beginner?

Play Medic, Soldier or Demo.

Go play on good servers like GAF. Tell people you're new, the community is generally very friendly towards newbies.

I personally can't really recommend the Training Mode.

commissar

Watch the movies at the start of a map which will tell you what the gametype is and what to do.
With navigating maps: look at the arrows and the colour palette. Team colour arrows point you in a direction, go that way.

Basically look at your HUD it will tell you everything you need to know about your teams progress in the round. Bit down the bottom tells you about objective status, kill bit up the top tells you there are spies, snipers or crits coming your way.

Otherwise pick a class, shoot some dudes, help the team!

Note: spy can be a difficult class when beginning as you need to know ammo placements, and how other classes act to be effective.
If you are a pyro, right click with your flamethrower to put out any team mates who are on fire. They will love you.

Nice games tonight, though the team in Dustbowl were stacked horribly, hahaha.

Don't forget, cart=moving dispenser. Why do you think my sentries were so good on nightfall? I used the cart to make a lvl 3 sentry before the gates opened!

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
Ceebs, if I get a gift wrap how much would you like for the Enthusiast Timepiece? It is the only thing I would like from Poker Night at the Inventory.
I dunno some metal would be fine I guess. I don't use it at all.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks Commisar and Wolf for the tips. I played a bit of 'offline practice' and found that I like the soldier class the best so far. Pyro was cool too. Messed around with sniper a bit.

Overall I had a good time getting to know some maps and the feel for the game. A little more offline practice for me and I'll be ready for a GAF server and hopefully not embarrass myself.

Are stats tracked anywhere? I was curious to see how I did with the several rounds of 'offline practice' I completed but couldn't find any stats before I quit out. Is that in game somewhere?

I'm tired and gotta sleep now.

Oh and about those hats, 7 dollars, really? L..O..L

RbBrdMan said:
Thanks Commisar and Wolf for the tips. I played a bit of 'offline practice' and found that I like the soldier class the best so far. Pyro was cool too. Messed around with sniper a bit.

Overall I had a good time getting to know some maps and the feel for the game. A little more offline practice for me and I'll be ready for a GAF server and hopefully not embarrass myself.

Are stats tracked anywhere? I was curious to see how I did with the several rounds of 'offline practice' I completed but couldn't find any stats before I quit out. Is that in game somewhere?

You can get them as drop after...400+ hours, maybe?

You can craft them with metal and trade them for other things.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
RbBrdMan said:

The game records basic stats, but really in-depth stuff is dependent on the server. Some record stats, some don't, and they generally don't share between them.

And yea, hats can drop, you can craft them, people can trade them to you out of pity.... there's tons of hats floating around, you should only pay if you want a specific hat. (And even then you don't need to.)

Damn tonight was fun! I think the crazy payload race comeback earlier on in the night and the crazy payload defense later on were the most fun games. The super close defense was intense as hell.

Now for pie

Ketch

RbBrdMan said:

Don't worry about embarrassing yourself, I do that every time I log in. The momentum goes back and forth so much that winning or losing is all luck sometimes. Don't worry about dieing, just focus on pushing objectives, helping teammates, and having fun! As long as you don't rage quit you'll get better in no time.

commissar

FUCK YEAH TF2 :D
awwyeahtf2.jpg

(aka show us your screens)

Ceebs

EasyTGT said:
Don't worry about embarrassing yourself, I do that every time I log in. The momentum goes back and forth so much that winning or losing is all luck sometimes. Don't worry about dieing, just focus on pushing objectives, helping teammates, and having fun! As long as you don't rage quit you'll get better in no time.
Too many engineers on a map can get me to rage quit almost every time.

ArtistDude88 said:
I hate it when there's 1 sentry that no one can take out, like last night in Nightfall. Made me go Demo, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?!
I'll check the replay later to see who was the medic.

My sentry there was glorious, and Baha is the best watchdog ever. =D Too bad about the comeback from RED though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom