• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

desh

Ok, here's the situation. We're on offense on Badwater, the cart is on the ramp going down to the final point. I catch fire from Yeef, and run back around the corner to the previous check point where I see a Heavy/Medic Combo coming in. The medic was literally standing there not moving, just healing the Heavy. I stood in between the medic and heavy, on fire, and called for medic. I didn't expect to be overhealed, or even healed up to full health, just douse the fire. But he didn't do any of that, and 2 seconds later they continued into the fray.

I voiced my displeasure as to what happened, but I didn't really lay in to the guy (at least I don't think I did), in the sense where I'm telling him he's the worst medic I've ever seen, and he should stop playing this game. As far as I can remember all I said was something to the effect, "if you see a guy on fire calling for medic, it's usually a good idea to heal them."

Also, for the record, there didn't appear to be any enemy combatants in the general vicinity.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
desh said:
Ok, here's the situation. We're on offense on Badwater, the cart is on the ramp going down to the final point. I catch fire from Yeef, and run back around the corner to the previous check point where I see a Heavy/Medic Combo coming in. The medic was literally standing there not moving, just healing the Heavy. I stood in between the medic and heavy, on fire, and called for medic. I didn't expect to be overhealed, or even healed up to full health, just douse the fire. But he didn't do any of that, and 2 seconds later they continued into the fray.

I voiced my displeasure as to what happened, but I didn't really lay in to the guy (at least I don't think I did), in the sense where I'm telling him he's the worst medic I've ever seen, and he should stop playing this game. As far as I can remember all I said was something to the effect, "if you see a guy on fire calling for medic, it's usually a good idea to heal them."

Also, for the record, there didn't appear to be any enemy combatants in the general vicinity.

did you die?

health pack nearby?

MUJU TROLLED?! :D

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
I'm going to play Medic and you all will love my newbishness to the class!
Artistdude's newbness knows no bounds!

I've never seen you play medic. I get the impression you'd find it boring cause you have nobody on the other team to piss off. :D

Sgt.Pepper said:
As soon pocket medic came to the discussion it stopped being about newbies.
I actually read up on some of that stuff a few days ago...Didn't know that's what you guys you were referring to. I thought you were just talking about a pocket medic as one who sticks to a specific player.

Forkball said:
I see a lot of people recommend newbies to play medic, but honestly medic is a difficult and important class, something that should be played by more experienced players. For one, if someone goes medic, chances are that's going to be the only medic on the team. That means someone who is actually good at medic and was willing to play one might see that there's already a medic and play a different class. And if something goes wrong, everyone will blame the medic, which is discouraging for new players. How many times have you heard, "we needed more medics/ubers" after a match? People should hold off on trying out medic until they know the maps and get the general flow of a match..
You only need a good medic if you are stuck and need an uber to break up some engie nests. Otherwise a newbie medic can do just fine by healing people as much as possible.

You can win w/o medics too. But it all depends on the map & the teams.

Proven

Yeef said:
Depending on the game type and class chances are anyone NOT headed to the front lines are retreating for health and ammo, so they can head back to the conflict zone. A medic's healing rate is based on the time since the target was last damaged, so someone who's retreating from the front lines should heal pretty quickly. On top of that, a scout has pretty low HP and it takes all of 2 seconds to heal them up. No one expects a medic to chase people to top them off, but if you're healing someone who's fully overhealed and don't bother to top off your other teammates (assuming there's no danger) you're just being a dick and/or a crappy medic.
Overall, I agree with Kuro. When you're the only one, or one of two medics on a server with 12 players, shit gets irritating. Yes, you're retreating from the combat zone, but I'm going up there right now with someone in order to not lose any ground. Two seconds and a moment to turn to face you is more than enough time for a crit rocket to come around the corner and kill the only full health combat class before I can switch back to him and pop an uber. And experienced Medics know about the god damn out of battle heal rate. But it also takes 10 seconds for it to even start speeding up. If you're on fire, then guess what? No extra heal rate! If you're in the red I'll give you a second and half if I can for about 35hp, but then you may not even be the only one on fire. If I have a suspicion you're 10 seconds or more out of the fight, then I could even heal a Soldier in 3 seconds, we'll both notice, and you'll be coming with me right now. If the enemy is coming around the corner right this minute, then I'm skipping you to pop uber on who I'm with, and I'll tell the rest to runaway as they're not going to be of any help unless it's by potshots.

The most common situations that irritate me are right after an enemy push and before my team's counter push. If I stop to heal everyone there, then we lose ground. If I heal one or two, then I can maybe still keep up with the group that just respawned and are ready to fight. Hell, this is half the reason I go Jag Engineer whenever I'm not running Gunslinger. Dispensers are much better at mass healing.

tl;dr Triage sucks for everyone, don't give me an aneurysm.

Came into this thread in hopes to find a group of GAFers to play with. Now I feel the urge to be a bragging douche. But it's not really bragging because Demo + Sniper = easy mode.

FBAEFB2ECD998F63A5E32CE69722FF3DA4FCEF3A

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
Overall, I agree with Kuro. When you're the only one, or one of two medics on a server with 12 players, shit gets irritating. Yes, you're retreating from the combat zone, but I'm going up there right now with someone in order to not lose any ground. Two seconds and a moment to turn to face you is more than enough time for a crit rocket to come around the corner and kill the only full health combat class before I can switch back to him and pop an uber. And experienced Medics know about the god damn out of battle heal rate. But it also takes 10 seconds for it to even start speeding up. If you're on fire, then guess what? No extra heal rate! If you're in the red I'll give you a second and half if I can for about 35hp, but then you may not even be the only one on fire. If I have a suspicion you're 10 seconds or more out of the fight, then I could even heal a Soldier in 3 seconds, we'll both notice, and you'll be coming with me right now. If the enemy is coming around the corner right this minute, then I'm skipping you to pop uber on who I'm with, and I'll tell the rest to runaway as they're not going to be of any help unless it's by potshots.

The most common situations that irritate me are right after an enemy push and before my team's counter push. If I stop to heal everyone there, then we lose ground. If I heal one or two, then I can maybe still keep up with the group that just respawned and are ready to fight. Hell, this is half the reason I go Jag Engineer whenever I'm not running Gunslinger. Dispensers are much better at mass healing.

tl;dr Triage sucks for everyone, don't give me an aneurysm.

Even Krillin knows better! >:/

desh

what is the server IP, I can't seem to find it.

I've tried the following:

174.143.208.222:27015
216.6.224.225:27015

But, neither seem to work

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
desh said:
what is the server IP, I can't seem to find it.

I've tried the following:

174.143.208.222:27015
216.6.224.225:27015

But, neither seem to work
You have people on the server on your friends list, right?

right-click join game????????????

Jenga

Banned
Ceebs said:
I just joined a Pony server by mistake. That was a harrowing experience. Everything from mic spam MLP songs to people talking about they need a dose of friendship. Creepy.
now do you see the monsters i must fight

Twig

Banned
I just discovered that the replays don't record the voice. That nullifies 99% of the reason anyone should ever make a TF2 video.

KiKaL

Don't know why I hadn't came here and found out the IP but actually randomly joined the GAF server without knowing it. Definitely should have found it sooner. Seems to be a pretty competitive yet fun server. Good games tonight

Twig

Banned
Clydefrog said:
Replays don't even show who killed who. :(
Yeah but I don't care about killin'. Only talkin'.

It seriously completely killed any interest I had in the replay feature. Soooo, I'm probably done playing TF2 again.

vanty

Does the mute button still exist? Just had a REALLY fucking annoying soldier and medic (who healed no one else) pair spending half the game going "yeah fkn owned!!!" and when I hit Esc and clicked what I'm sure used to be a mute button it's now a coaching thing. Looked at other buttons and unless I was crazy at the time none of them are mute either.

corn_fest

Twig said:
I just discovered that the replays don't record the voice. That nullifies 99% of the reason anyone should ever make a TF2 video.
Can you still make the old type of demos? Or is it replays-only now?

Forkball said:
I'm not sure what's up with my net, it did those horrible slow spikes again. It wasn't as bad as yesterday, but I randomly jumped up to 250ish ping during matches. It seemed to go away as the night went on, but I should call my ISP tomorrow to see what's up.

A few more videos from the GAF server:

RED is afraid of stickies (not sure why the video glitches my first shot)
Bushwackin'
Jarate isn't the best seasoning for a sandvich.
I still think the bushwacka needs a nerf. Jarate + Bushwacka one hits most not buffed (even with that probably will) classes. I love it, but it eliminates Sniper weakest point by giving him one of the most dangerous close combat combinations in the game. Almost or on the same level as Axetinguisher.

Yeef

Borgnine said:
Bwhahahahahah.

Do items reset tonight? According to the wiki it's 0:00 GMT Thursday which would be 4:00 PM PST today. Cause if not then I'm not playing this stupid game, I put in a good 2 hours or so last night and didn't get shit!
Items reset tonight at around 8 PM EST.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I still think the bushwacka needs a nerf. Jarate + Bushwacka one hits most not buffed (even with that probably will) classes. I love it, but it eliminates Sniper weakest point by giving him one of the most dangerous close combat combinations in the game. Almost or on the same level as Axetinguisher.
It needs random crits removed at the very least. As it is right now it's a straight upgrade to the Kukri against every class but Pyro.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, me too. I love the "Meet the . . . " videos.

I wonder what they will do with Meet the Pyro? mmdffpphmmm rrph mmrrr rrrphhd deerrrmm
When they announce Team Fortress 3 and finally reveal Pyro's gender.
Only to be ambiguous in the end again.

Twig

Banned
corn_fest said:
Can you still make the old type of demos? Or is it replays-only now?
You can, but then I have to turn on voice loopback again so it captures my own voice, and I have to install the mod that autorecords every game I play, and I have to go through and find the best parts, rather than press a key...

I don't want to do that again. ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom