• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I think sometime soon I'll make custom configs for each map/gametype. That way some of the shorter maps can get more rounds and some of the longer maps can get fewer rounds and/or shorter rounds.

Yeef said:
My main problem with Heavy is lack of dynamic mechanics. As far as attacking lots of classes are pretty bare bones. All a Heavy can really do is shoot. Every other class has additional mechanics that make them interesting to play. The buffalo steak sandvich stands out as the exception, but that's really more of a gimmick than a useful ability.

Agreed. That's why doing anything besides rushing sucks. There's simply isn't any depth to the class.

Yeef

How would you guys feel about cutting ctf to 1 round, but upping the caps needed to 4 or 5 (and also dropping the time limit to 15~20 minutes)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
How would you guys feel about cutting ctf to 1 round, but upping the caps needed to 4 or 5 (and also dropping the time limit to 15~20 minutes)?
Go for it.

If you are making Custom Configurations, make King of the Hill 3 rounds, that way one team can "Win"

Proven

Yeef said:
Everyone hates lakeside but me.

I like just about every official map except for dustbowl and 2fort. I'm not a fan of hydro, but that's the mode's fault, not the map's fault. If it were identical but cp instead of tc I'd love it.
This is me, except I still like Dustbowl and 2Fort is good with the right player mindset. The only official maps that I consider bottom on the list are Frontier and Pipeline.

fugimax said:
Wasted Uber turns into Awesome Capture

6 kills, a few assists, and a handful of destructions ... all after the uber was over. :)
I would have ended this at tooting the horn. "Tooting my own horn..."

Saige

I must do better.
Drkirby said:
Also, I have been stockpiling weapons for the Meat the Medic up date, so I have a bunch of dups. If you need anything, let me know, you can have anything on Page 1 and 5. Of minor note, I have a decent amount of shogun weapons:
http://tf2b.com/?id=Drkirby
I’m still missing quite a few weapons, so there are about 6 of your dups that I could use.

What would you want for them?

DarkKyo

Some jackass just added me to his friends list and when I asked him how he found me he threatened to hack my information if I didn't stay on the line and answer his questions like "how old are you?"

I de-friended him and changed my steam and gmail passwords... I should be good, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dechaios said:
Some jackass just added me to his friends list and when I asked him how he found me he threatened to hack my information if I didn't stay on the line and answer his questions like "how old are you?"

I de-friended him and changed my steam and gmail passwords... I should be good, right?
What was his name?

Ketch

Dechaios said:

Sounds like some dumb kid. Report that nonsense to Valve and maybe they'll ban his steam account. People need to learn that you can't treat strangers like crap just because it's the internet.

Also, Here's some sweet double-o super spy ketch action from pipeline last night. =) =)
Notice the burning?

Cleared everybody off the cart

This one's for the LOLs

Yeef

Dechaios said:

You shouldn't be using the same password for gmail and steam. If you don't steam guard will protect you even if someone gets your steam password.

DarkKyo

Yeef said:
You shouldn't be using the same password for gmail and steam. If you don't steam guard will protect you even if someone gets your steam password.
I don't use the same passwords for the two. I just changed them just in case. *shrugs*

Twig

Banned
You were almost undoubtedly completely safe, and this guy was just fucking with you.

EasyTGT said:
People need to learn that you can't treat strangers like crap just because it's the internet.
w...WHAT?????

Forkball

Dechaios said:

I know this freaked you out, but I find this hilarious. He was e-mugging you. Honestly I would have just kept talking to him, why the hell did he need to know how old you are? And I assume Steam accounts are pretty difficult to hack now thanks to Steam Guard, you shouldn't worry.

Ketch

Twig said:
w...WHAT?????

Doesn't it bother you the way people act on the internet? Treating people they don't know like crap... horrible horrible attitudes and language, xbox live hate speech ect. I really don't understand why people think it's ok.

Not trying to mount a crusade here or anything, but I'm personally disturbed by the way some people act and wish they had to take more responsibility for their actions.

Stupid jerk looses access to steam for cyber-bullying or phising or whatever and thinks "Gee, maybe I should have some common decency when interacting with people on the internet". Seems like the right out come to me.

Oreoleo

EasyTGT said:
Doesn't it bother you the way people act on the internet? Treating people they don't know like crap... horrible horrible attitudes and language, xbox live hate speech ect. I really don't understand why people think it's ok.
Dude, look at who you're talking to.

215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

Yeef

Here are the changes:

Default time limit set back to 30 (from 45) minutes.

• All 5cp maps - 25 minute time limit
  • All tc maps - 20 minute time limit, 1 round
  • All ctf maps - 20 minute time limit, 5 capture limit, 1 round
  • All koth maps - 3 rounds, 2 win limit (if 1 team wins twice 3rd round won't be played)
  • degroot - 15 minute time limit, 5 rounds
  • 5gorge - 30 minute time limit, 1 round
  • donkeykong - 12 minute time limit
  • thundermountain - 45 minute time limit

Javaman

Yeef said:
Here are the changes:

• All koth maps - 3 rounds, 2 win limit (if 1 team wins twice 3rd round won't be played)

You forgot...

• 2fort - 0 minute time limit, 0 rounds, 0 capture limit

Baha

Yeef said:
Here are the changes:

What about plr maps? 20-25 minute time limit with 1 round would be a sweet spot (the only exception to this rule being plr_hightower).

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
esc said:
Why did you make degroot 5 rounds? It can't be defended, blue first is always gonna win 3-2.

I totally defended that shit last night. It was instant respawn though, maybe that had something to do with it. Is there a way to add instant respawn just to degroot? I think it would be helpful in maximizing the chopping and the shooting of the arrows and the overall delight.

Yeef

Baha said:
What about plr maps? 20-25 minute time limit with 1 round would be a sweet spot (the only exception to this rule being plr_hightower).
I think plr is fine as it is now.

esc said:
Why did you make degroot 5 rounds? It can't be defended, blue first is always gonna win 3-2.
Because it can't be defended. 2 rounds ends in like 4 minutes. it takes some people that long to just load the map. If, somehow, it is defended, it'll end after 15 minutes.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
Fucking mini-sentries.
Fix yer goddamn pro ping before complainin'!

@borgnine I've yet to see blu win on degroot...

@artisthacker88 I troll all you guys, but it's done with love.

Except for whomever this fuckin failspah 'Ketch' guy is...he needs to fall into a hole :mad:

Javaman

Baha said:
That would break upwards. Iirc it still map changes at the end of the map timer instead of the round, robbing the second team from playing a full attack round. There's another map like this... thunder mountain? I would strongly recommend againt going for a forced rotation. One bad map is enough to clear out 1/2 the server. Two in a row will kill it altogether. There's a reason the same'o maps keep getting played, because people like to play them. They're comfortable. If people are bored with the map maybe we could try something different like all certain classes or something.to mix it up a bit

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Dude, look at who you're talking to.
To be fair, it's only in very rare instances that I get angry enough to actually mean anything I say, and most of the people I talk to (at least, in TF2 (at least, that used to be the case (there are more regulars now that don't know me))) know this.

Also to be fairer, I agree with him. There are lines that I won't cross (the typical hatespeech, for example, pisses me off, unless it's actually cleverly done and is a joke) that a lot of people do cross, just because they can get away with it.

Also to be fairest, I am hilarious
to me

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sgt.Pepper said:
Well, he's posting them here so regulars can download them outside the game so they don't start bitching. :)
I have them, but I don't think we will get more than 6 people if we do a map change.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
Because it can't be defended. 2 rounds ends in like 4 minutes. it takes some people that long to just load the map. If, somehow, it is defended, it'll end after 15 minutes.
*thumbs up*

This is good logic.

didyougetridofmapvotingyet.jpg

Hazaro said:
I have them, but I don't think we will get more than 6 people if we do a map change.
The only way to get people to play customs is to have them on servers. Eventually enough people will have it so that it's a non-issue: see Cashworks. This reactionary "oh god there aren't enough people! GET RID OF IT!" is just a circle of misery and despair. Besides, if people don't want to play customs, fuck them. They're dicks anyway, and probably will end up voting for Dustbowl.

Baha

Javaman said:
That would break upwards. Iirc it still map changes at the end of the map timer instead of the round, robbing the second team from playing a full attack round. There's another map like this... thunder mountain? I would strongly recommend againt going for a forced rotation. One bad map is enough to clear out 1/2 the server. Two in a row will kill it altogether. There's a reason the same'o maps keep getting played, because people like to play them. They're comfortable. If people are bored with the map maybe we could try something different like all certain classes or something.to mix it up a bit

Are payload & payload race maps counted as one and the same on server rotations? I thought there was a clear distinction between the two.

Twig

Banned
I can't download the maps from TF2maps.net. It just takes me to a page that says I need to wait a minute before downloading another map, before I actually get to download one. Over and over. EDIT: Nevermind, only seems to happen with oilfield, for some reason. Guess I'll find it somewhere else?
Javaman said:
If people are bored with the map maybe we could try something different like all certain classes or something.to mix it up a bit
That is quite literally the worst solution to the problem. Doing class rushes is fun, but only if the map isn't boring.

n0b

Yeef said:
Here are the changes:

I like that you removed all PL maps from the server except for tundermountain. Just get rid of that and it will be great! You can add PLR back in though. :)U)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Twig said:
The only way to get people to play customs is to have them on servers. Eventually enough people will have it so that it's a non-issue: see Cashworks. This reactionary "oh god there aren't enough people! GET RID OF IT!" is just a circle of misery and despair. Besides, if people don't want to play customs, fuck them. They're dicks anyway, and probably will end up voting for Dustbowl.
I am with you.

Can the server even feed out that large a file?
Old server had a 25MB limit and downloaded at like 15kbps right?

Twig

Banned
n0b said:
I like that you removed all PL maps from the server except for tundermountain. Just get rid of that and it will be great! You can add PLR back in though. :)U)
Hazaro said:
I am with you.

Hm, good point. How do downloads work these days, YEEF?!

Yeef

Twig said:
didyougetridofmapvotingyet.jpg
Nope, but I set it up so that the last 7 maps played can't be nominated which should at least reduce the problem of playing the same 4 maps over and over.

dragonlife29 said:
Where do I install them?

EDIT: I think I got it.
Just download them to your tf/maps folder. You don't even need to extract them since source games can read straight from bzips.

Baha said:
Are payload & payload race maps counted as one and the same on server rotations? I thought there was a clear distinction between the two.
Java's just senile.

As far as TF2 configs are concerned there are only 2 modes: arena and non-arena. You can also make custom config files for individual maps. So basically what I did was make config files for each mode, then make a config file for each map that says 'run the config file for this mode.'

Twig said:
I can't download the maps from TF2maps.net. It just takes me to a page that says I need to wait a minute before downloading another map, before I actually get to download one. Over and over. EDIT: Nevermind, only seems to happen with oilfield, for some reason. Guess I'll find it somewhere else?
Just download them from here: http://tf2.alliedbiscuit.net/tf/maps

Hazaro said:
I am with you.

The server doesn't send out the maps, the client automatically downloads them from my webspace (above), which should be fairly quick. For some people it downloads slowly in-game for some reason even though they can get it at full sped via browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom