• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
2fIiO.gif

(CLICK ME TO CONNECT)

oUDnZ.gif

@Junior - Friends list is full brah

notworksafe

19 & 21 said:
Man, all voice makes me play terribly. Finally disabled voice all together and managed to get a decent sniping game going. Stop distracting me, fuckers.
Mic usage isn't bad on the GAF server at all. All voice is what makes it fun, imo.

If you want to hear actual annoying mic spam you should try an Something Awful server. :/ Those guys actually got me to turn off voices.

Also, thanks for the fun matches on Saturday! My friend (Jenni Walters...his GAF account is still waiting approval) and I had a great time. Hopefully we weren't too terrible (or I wasn't at least).

Javaman

Kuro Madoushi said:
Also can't help it if I leave when a map comes up, I got lots of friends on different servers asking me to join them. That AND KOTH, PLR, and some CP maps are just plain terribad.

You're so popular, can I have your autograph!?!?

corn_fest

Twig said:
No, because fuck idiots who just want to play the same maps over and over. They are the warts on TF2's ass, and deserve nothing but derision.
+1
fuck Badwater, Dustbowl and the like. I'd much rather rotate through the other 30+ maps, even if some of them are of dubious quality.

Clydefrog

Support classes (engy/medic primarily) are such a bitch to play because half the time you're supporting a bunch of idiots. That's why I prefer to just go on my own and shoot arrows in everyone's faces.

Oreoleo

Chinner said:
not gonna play then.

I mean, it happens, I won't lie. But it's usually at the expense of about half of the server, and the other half ends up getting bored after 10-15 minutes, so we map change early anyway.

I don't hate 2fort, but I can only play it on 24/7 servers where the time limit is like 3 hours per match. Essentially turns it into deathmatch, which can be a nice change of pace.

also, there are plenty of people who bitch on the server about maps already. you can join us and just complain about how we're not playing 2fort! we have it set up so you can nominate it for map vote. it'll be fun!

Oreoleo

Actually it seems the last few times it's been a straight roll, especially on stage 3. Get past that first point and it's all over.

Yeef

Dustbowl is easily my least favorite map that we actually play. Other than the second map Dustbowl is the worst.

ArtistDude88 said:
I don't get it?
I airblasted that rocket back at that soldier, but it went straight up instead.

notworksafe said:
Mic usage isn't bad on the GAF server at all. All voice is what makes it fun, imo.

If you want to hear actual annoying mic spam you should try an Something Awful server. :/ Those guys actually got me to turn off voices.

Also, thanks for the fun matches on Saturday! My friend (Jenni Walters...his GAF account is still waiting approval) and I had a great time. Hopefully we weren't too terrible (or I wasn't at least).
I don't think your friend understands how ubers work...

Forkball said:
I almost nominated Yukon last night.

Almost.
I nominated Moonshine like 6 times before we actually got to play it. Once we did though I thought it was a pretty good map.

Jesus, is there any map you guys don't hate? It better not be hightower and/or lakeside!

Edit: Yeef, can you get this map on the server? I'd like to try it.

Hell, I would like to play more custom and less stock maps.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:
I nominated Moonshine like 6 times before we actually got to play it. Once we did though I thought it was a pretty good map.

It wasn't bad, but it needs a lot of work. The fact that there isn't a main, direct route is kind of absurd. There's just a lot of bad use of space in general.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Jesus, is there any map you guys don't hate? It better not be hightower and/or lakeside!

Lakeside is so bad.

I wouldn't mind more custom maps but stuff like Donkey Kong is intolerable.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:

Edit: Yeef, can you get this map on the server? I'd like to try it.

Everyone hates lakeside but me.

I like just about every official map except for dustbowl and 2fort. I'm not a fan of hydro, but that's the mode's fault, not the map's fault. If it were identical but cp instead of tc I'd love it.

Oreoleo

A 5cp version of Hydro would be pretty awesome. Having the routes shut off dynamically like Egypt or Steel would be super cool.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
re: map bitching

I think a lot of the same maps come up over and over because, like me, people either don't care what they play on or they just vote for what they know. I think the solution is a healthy dose of admin abuse. If we just finished playing playing Badwater and Goldrush and Thundermountain wins just tell everyone to suck your fucking dick and change it to whatever. Most people won't care.

I like the occasional custom map thrown in the rotation but not a CUSTOM MAP NIGHT. Cashworks doesn't count cause it's the official map of GAF. Like that one where no one can find B and it's like on an island or something. Whatever it's called that one is cool.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I swear to god that the day servers have gotten worse in the last twelve months. Its almost impossible to find something not running Increased Players, Fast Respawn, Dice, Bots, or any other stupid changes.

The_Technomancer said:
I swear to god that the day servers have gotten worse in the last twelve months. Its almost impossible to find something not running Increased Players, Fast Respawn, Dice, Bots, or any other stupid changes.
You forgot fake player count and map extending.

Clydefrog

The Lions Den is my go-to server. http://lions.dongues.net/

24 players
default respawn/map times
all-talk
dead players can type to live players
option to rtv, option to team scramble, option to vutemute/kick
fair and tolerant admins
great community, usually filled with regulars
no jank (i get ~15 ping)

and even some of my GAF steam friends come in! I've seen Forkball, Sgt. Pepper, Speculawyer.

these lions dens guys should pay me...

The_Technomancer said:

Yep. My blacklist is so long, it lags the game for a few seconds to add more. Just default 24 player servers, please!

DogWelder

Borgnine said:
re: map bitching

I think a lot of the same maps come up over and over because, like me, people either don't care what they play on or they just vote for what they know. I think the solution is a healthy dose of admin abuse. If we just finished playing playing Badwater and Goldrush and Thundermountain wins just tell everyone to suck your fucking dick and change it to whatever. Most people won't care.
I do this when Yeef is not on the server, but since he's the head honcho (since Remy's never around), correct protocol is to defer to him when he's there. Pretty sure you're an admin too, ftr.

notworksafe

Yeef said:
I don't think your friend understands how ubers work...
lol yeah...he also never has voice chat on because of playing on SA servers all the time so I'm sure that didn't help.

For map rotation is there a way to take a map out of the voting pool for a while once it has been played? That might be a good way to keep new maps coming while still letting people vote.

DogWelder

notworksafe said:
lol yeah...he also never has voice chat on because of playing on SA servers all the time so I'm sure that didn't help.

For map rotation is there a way to take a map out of the voting pool for a while once it has been played? That might be a good way to keep new maps coming while still letting people vote.
It does that automatically. You also can't nominate a map that's been played recently.

rar

koth is the best in pubs, i love it

the biggest problem with tf2 is the maps. no one makes any fun ones and i dont know why

notworksafe

esc said:
It does that automatically. You also can't nominate a map that's been played recently.
Oh hm, didn't know that. I like seeing non-default maps but really I just like playing whatever. I usually vote for one I've never seen before, though I favor payload maps over the others gameplay types.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Everyone hates lakeside but me.

I like just about every official map except for dustbowl and 2fort. I'm not a fan of hydro, but that's the mode's fault, not the map's fault. If it were identical but cp instead of tc I'd love it.
I like lakeside (map is pretty, and it's KOTH which means it's very short). I like 2fort if there's only 1 engineer on each side.

Donkey kong is perhaps my most hated custom map.

Yeef

esc said:
I do this when Yeef is not on the server, but since he's the head honcho (since Remy's never around), correct protocol is to defer to him when he's there. Pretty sure you're an admin too, ftr.
Borgnine's not an admin, wartime is. It's okay to get them confused. People without mics are all the same anyway.

Also, as long as there's a consensus I don't care about admins changing maps or doing scrambles. Java does it all the time (usually because he wants to play Cashworks). Just changing the map without discussing it with the people who are playing would be a pretty shitty thing to do, especially if it's something like donkeykong.

notworksafe said:
Right now I have it set to last 4 maps played can't be voted in.

Twig

Banned
rar said:
koth is the best in pubs, i love it

the biggest problem with tf2 is the maps. no one makes any fun ones and i dont know why
There are plenty of fun maps. You just haven't realized it's you that is the problem.

Twig

Banned
As much as I hate map voting, what I hate even MORE is loading up a map and then having to load another map immediately. If you're going to whip out your admin dick, at least do it gracefully.

DogWelder

Twig said:
As much as I hate map voting, what I hate even MORE is loading up a map and then having to load another map immediately. If you're going to whip out your admin dick, at least do it gracefully.
The Hell? No-one does this on the GAF server unless the map is 2Fort.

Twig

Banned
esc said:
The Hell? No-one does this on the GAF server unless the map is 2Fort.
I am not sure how to respond to this. Are you calling me a liar? Because it's happened, more than once, and not on 2fort. And even if it did happen on 2fort, it's still fucking annoying.

I mean, I've been playing TF2 with GAF since the game's pre-release beta. Why would I just make up some bullshit for fun?

DogWelder

Twig said:
I am not sure how to respond to this. Are you calling me a liar? Because it's happened, more than once, and not on 2fort. And even if it did happen on 2fort, it's still fucking annoying.

I mean, I've been playing TF2 with GAF since the game's pre-release beta. Why would I just make up some bullshit for fun?
No-one does this anymore. Better?

Twig

Banned
esc said:
No-one does this anymore. Better?
No, because it happened last week. Or at least sometime recently. I didn't mark it down on my calendar, obviously. "I'll get you yet, motherfucker."

DogWelder

Twig said:
No, because it happened last week.
Seriously, the only time it happens is when 2Fort comes up. Only times 2Fort gets voted is when it's the first choice on the list and the mapvote happens to come up at the most inconvenient time in the round. (Note to Yeef, make mapvotes start with the number 3 or 4). Either that or people are trollin' and I don't like pandering to the trolls. I really don't understand GAF mentality sometimes. Hate 2Fort and that CTF map with the bridge, but play regular engineer to prolong that shit forever. I honestly don't mind 2Fort occasionally but there is no "graceful" time to map change when each round lasts forever.

Twig

Banned
It was Lumbermill.

And even if it was 2fort, you have no excuse. Get off the server and come back later if you don't want to play it. It's not that hard. I do it all the time when I'm playing Dustbowl for the fortieth time in a single evening because people refuse to ever try anything outside their comfort zone. You just press the escape key, then click the disconnect button!

The more you know.

For the record, I fucking detest 2fort.

Yeef

Twig said:
No, because it happened last week. Or at least sometime recently. I didn't mark it down on my calendar, obviously. "I'll get you yet, motherfucker."
It happened a few times before we got SourceMod up and running on the new server. That was mainly because the only way to change the map was to do changelevel via rcon. What would end up happening is that I'd go into the console to change the map at the end of a round, but too slowly. The server was set to a rotation with all of the maps just going in alphabetical order.

As far as I know it hasn't happened since we got SourceMod up and running, except for once, (last night) when gold rush came up 5 maps after we'd just played it.

I think I'll increase the old-vote up to 7 so that we replay maps less frequently.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
It happened a few times before we got SourceMod up and running on the new server. That was mainly because the only way to change the map was to do changelevel via rcon. What would end up happening is that I'd go into the console to change the map at the end of a round, but too slowly. The server was set to a rotation with all of the maps just going in alphabetical order.

As far as I know it hasn't happened since we got SourceMod up and running, except for once, (last night) when gold rush came up 5 maps after we'd just played it.

I think I'll increase the old-vote up to 7 so that we replay maps less frequently.
But I'm fairly certain voting was enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom