• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

TF2 looks so beautiful on my new computer. Even though the game is four years old, visually it's still remarkably impressive. Just goes to show you that a good art style goes a long way (until you kill it with hats AMIRITE)

Also I saw this:

AD0BA501E64A5E04F37B4C56D86DDCDA476D4F75

Grinchy

Banned
Forkball said:
TF2 looks so beautiful on my new computer. Even though the game is four years old, visually it's still remarkably impressive. Just goes to show you that a good art style goes a long way (until you kill it with hats AMIRITE)
I definitely agree. I went from 720p with low settings and struggling to stay at ~50fps to everything at max, 1920x1200 at like 130fps. It's a really amazing looking game all of a sudden. I truly believe that the extra performance also makes the game easier to play. I notice spies much more easily now, for example.

Huh, I think I crashed a server. It happened literally as I was detonating a sticky under a wounded Engineer (who was going after a friendly Spy taking potshots at the point), I heard an extended chirp, got the timeout timer, and when I checked the server browser, the server was only half-full suddenly and onto a new map.

"KA-BOOM! You're all bloody dead!"

Twig

Banned
Twig said:
Further experimentation has shown me that it's damn near impossible to make good, smooth camera movements for extended periods of time. This video is almost nauseating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lotsN6ZZfhg

But I like the subject matter. For some reason, nobody could kill me (until someone did).
I love how my admittedly horrible video is drawing out the YouTube trolls more than any of the other couple hundred videos I have on the site. It makes me laaaugh.

Also, it inexplicably has over 100 views, which only a few of my videos have ever managed. Most of them come from GAF. So which of you are the troooolls. :3

DogWelder

There are three (as far as I can recall) custom maps that need to be updated or removed because they crash everyone's client:

pl_swiftwater
koth_garbageday
???

Anyone remember the last one? There may be more we just haven't played a bunch of the ctf and koth customs.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So just last night I was completely re-affirmed in my belief that "every weapon is great in the hands of someone".
Case in point: my brother absolutely dominating on a 5CP Gorge map using, I kid you not, the Cloak and Dagger and the Kunai. And he loves that loadout.

Thoraxes

Twig said:
I love how my admittedly horrible video is drawing out the YouTube trolls more than any of the other couple hundred videos I have on the site. It makes me laaaugh.

Also, it inexplicably has over 100 views, which only a few of my videos have ever managed. Most of them come from GAF. So which of you are the troooolls. :3
My original music entry just hit over 400 views today! I was so happy. Also, I actually made an original chiptune for it, which was just fun anyways.

When are peak server times anyways for when I can find the most of you guys playing? I always look at random times but never seem to find anyone on.

Yeef

Thoraxes said:
My original music entry just hit over 400 views today! I was so happy. Also, I actually made an original chiptune for it, which was just fun anyways.

When are peak server times anyways for when I can find the most of you guys playing? I always look at random times but never seem to find anyone on.
9 PM Eastern is when the GAF server gets started most nights.

AniHawk

man, i can't count how many times a medic had an ubercharge ready only to let me go on the charge. or decide they'd rather uber a sniper or something.

Kulock said:
Huh, I think I crashed a server. It happened literally as I was detonating a sticky under a wounded Engineer (who was going after a friendly Spy taking potshots at the point), I heard an extended chirp, got the timeout timer, and when I checked the server browser, the server was only half-full suddenly and onto a new map.

"KA-BOOM! You're all bloody dead!"
Sorry to burst your happy bubble but that was just the server resetting.

AniHawk said:
man, i can't count how many times a medic had an ubercharge ready only to let me go on the charge. or decide they'd rather uber a sniper or something.
That really sucks. Hell, today I was playing and the only people alive was me and a medic who had a krit charge ready and I was a demo, what does he do? Never activate the charge and we both die because of numbers (2v6).

I don't know how I didn't rage quit.

Yeef

You didn't push the cart hard enough, BLU!

[EDIT] Server seems to be FUBAR'd for reasons unknown. Restarting it doesn't help and with this new hosting I don't really have [m]any other options.

Oreoleo

Kuro Madoushi said:
Dr. Claw was back in action. HOW'D THAT FIST FEEL, WHORELEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEO?

It didn't feel good I can tell you that much :(

AniHawk said:

Have you played with us on the server? What's your Steam ID?

AniHawk

Orellio said:
Have you played with us on the server? What's your Steam ID?

i don't think i'm good enough to hang with you guys yet. the first obstacle is getting down the kb+m controls. the second obstacle is learning all the new tricks that separate the pc/mac version from the console one. last obstacle is learning all the new maps. usually there's one a night i haven't played that often or is completely new to me.

i've gotten better, but i'm still pretty shitty at it.

Yeef

AniHawk said:
i don't think i'm good enough to hang with you guys yet. the first obstacle is getting down the kb+m controls. the second obstacle is learning all the new tricks that separate the pc/mac version from the console one. last obstacle is learning all the new maps. usually there's one a night i haven't played that often or is completely new to me.

The GAF server is insanely laid back. Don't worry about 'not being good enough,' generally if you're doing something 'wrong' we won't care. At most we'll say "hey, [this] is why that's not working. Maybe think about doing [this] instead."

More likely, though, we'll just ignore any shortcomings and complain about dirty crits.

Nabs

AniHawk said:

feel free to noob out, no one will care.

Yeef said:
More likely, though, we'll just ignore any shortcomings and complain about dirty crits.

fucking crits.

Forkball

AniHawk said:

I killed myself on the sawblade in Sawmill tonight. Twice. You're good enough, just join us and have fun.

Although I have to complain about Medic woes on Dustbowl tonight. I'm not blaming the medics, it was just a perfect storm of failure. One time we had three medics with ubers ready on two heavies and a demo (I was one of the heavies). Medic/Heavy goes out, Medic gets creamed. I go out, I get crit stickied before the Medic hits the uber. I think the demo got ubered but he wasn't near the point. We tried a few more times with one or two medics, but either the medics died before popping the ubers or they counter-ubered.

Also are we not playing the third stages anymore? We only played the first stage of Dustbowl and the first two of Thunder Mountain.

Yeef

Forkball said:
Also are we not playing the third stages anymore? We only played the first stage of Dustbowl and the first two of Thunder Mountain.
We actually defended tonight to celebrate the veterans of all the no-defense nights. It was Memorial Day, after all.

Oreoleo

Forkball said:
I killed myself on the sawblade in Sawmill tonight. Twice. You're good enough, just join us and have fun.

I saved the replay but TF2 crashed when I tried to render it, so I'll try again tomorrow. Was pretty funny, I was outside the door you flew through and just saw your body flying through the air :D

And being able to defend was nice for a change. I don't know what everyone was doing, but do it more often!

AniHawk said:

Don't worry about that stuff man, we all had to start somewhere. You should really join us sometime, I think you're building the server up to be more than it is. I mean, we use all talk, it ain't no thang.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Don't worry about that stuff man, we all had to start somewhere. You should really join us sometime, I think you're building the server up to be more than it is. I mean, we use all talk, it ain't no thang.
Though, fair warning, GAF is one of the more skilled servers out there - well, we used to be, anyway. I dunno, these days. It's just that we don't really give a shit.

Except me, because I'm a rage-o-holic these days. )':

Grinchy

Banned
When I play on the GAF server I don't really do all that well. When I go to other servers, I tend to dominate. I think maybe you guys are better than you think ;)

That's not to deter any newbies like myself though. I've tried to make a point of checking to see if the GAF server is up first, because I get awesome ping on it, and it actually switches maps. It's a fun time.

Oreoleo

Twig said:
Though, fair warning, GAF is one of the more skilled servers out there - well, we used to be, anyway. I dunno, these days. It's just that we don't really give a shit.

Except me, because I'm a rage-o-holic these days. )':

True, I just meant, in spite of the average skill level on the server (And it varies, we're getting new people on the server all the time), we don't really take things seriously. Most of the time. It's only annoying when you know your team can do better than they are playing. And that never comes down to just one person.

Remy

Whatever jank infected the server last night seems to have resolved itself. Was able to connect just fine this morning.

Yeef

Remy said:
Whatever jank infected the server last night seems to have resolved itself. Was able to connect just fine this morning.
Yeah, it fixed itself like 2 minutes after I emailed you.

I have no evidence, but I blame windows. The process probably got locked up somehow and didn't quit.

Ketch

My new favorite thing about playing spy is when the other team starts calling out "Spy demo!" when I'm not or "CAN WE GET SOME SPY CHECKS!"

Even when I'm not doing great it's still too much fun spreading the paranoia.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
AniHawk said:

After two years or so, I still suck at the game. (well okay, I have games where I rock and many many where I suck)

The GAF regulars are definitely up there in terms of skill, but its really just a rocking good time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
After two years or so, I still suck at the game. (well okay, I have games where I rock and many many where I suck)

The GAF regulars are definitely up there in terms of skill, but its really just a rocking good time.
See EasyTGT's post. Nobody is up there in terms of skill if people aren't spy checking.

Though I was a n00b once too.

Spy checking means...
1. Shooting or meleeing ALL your teammates if you have the time for it.
2. Shooting or attacking a corner or an out of the way spot a spy could hide as a habit.
3. Looking up and looking behind you constantly

There are some really good spies you just can't do anything about at times. But, with some precaution, you can easily minimize the damage they do.

I still don't know why people don't actively chase down spies if they know a DR has been activated or if they shoot something and see the spy's outline and just go on their merry way.

If I find a spy, I go out of my way to hunt the fucker down because I know how much damage they can cause: sapped teles slowing down team movement, attacking medics who heal others, ambushing slower classes and increasing spawn time, etc etc etc.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
See EasyTGT's post. Nobody is up there in terms of skill if people aren't spy checking.

Though I was a n00b once too.

Spy checking means...
1. Shooting or meleeing ALL your teammates if you have the time for it.
2. Shooting or attacking a corner or an out of the way spot a spy could hide as a habit.
3. Looking up and looking behind you constantly

There are some really good spies you just can't do anything about at times. But, with some precaution, you can easily minimize the damage they do.

I still don't know why people don't actively chase down spies if they know a DR has been activated or if they shoot something and see the spy's outline and just go on their merry way.

If I find a spy, I go out of my way to hunt the fucker down because I know how much damage they can cause: sapped teles slowing down team movement, attacking medics who heal others, ambushing slower classes and increasing spawn time, etc etc etc.
Personally, I prefer bump checking if I'm a class that can't cause some effect (fire, jarate, bleeding, etc.). The only problem with bump checking is that some people are really good at forcing facestabs.

As for chasing spies down, it seems like a waste of time most of the time. Just like annoying scouts that hassle the team at spawn. Having 5 guys trying to kill one scout instead of on the front lines is far less useful that just going back into battle and keeping an eye on your flanks.

If a spy is using dead ringer and I lose sight of them, what I'll generally do is fire a shot and pick up any nearby ammo (and health) so that he's either forced to decloak much sooner or waste time running further away.

What I find more frustrating is when I say, over voice chat "Hey there's a spy coming from behind the cart" like 6 seconds before the spy gets there and no one turns around.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Personally, I prefer bump checking if I'm a class that can't cause some effect (fire, jarate, bleeding, etc.). The only problem with bump checking is that some people are really good at forcing facestabs.

As for chasing spies down, it seems like a waste of time most of the time. Just like annoying scouts that hassle the team at spawn. Having 5 guys trying to kill one scout instead of on the front lines is far less useful that just going back into battle and keeping an eye on your flanks.

If a spy is using dead ringer and I lose sight of them, what I'll generally do is fire a shot and pick up any nearby ammo (and health) so that he's either forced to decloak much sooner or waste time running further away.

What I find more frustrating is when I say, over voice chat "Hey there's a spy coming from behind the cart" like 6 seconds before the spy gets there and no one turns around.

I'm leery of bump checking with all the fuzzy logic that goes on into facestabs (yes, I've already read that article on how the mechanics work). I can recall a number of times where I swear my back is available for only an instant and it registers...

Chasing spies is not a waste of time. If 5 people go after him, maybe, but so long as someone does it, I'm happy. Since I'm often a medic, and the people I'm healing don't do shit, I make it a point to go after them myself. Nothing more frustrating than being a medic and healing some lazy motherfucker who couldn't go out his way to chase down some spy that backstabs you later on.

I also sure as hell wouldn't leave someone like fucking Enragerdude88 or AssholeSpy2 back there causing mischief.

I'm enjoying Pyro with normal flamethrower + flaregun, while I'm in disadvantage against (good) scouts, I got many kills today burning the enemy, airblasting them and shoot them from afar with crits.

It is fun. :D

Yasae

Banned
AniHawk said:

Hey there. Get a little closer with Big Red™.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom