• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weenerz

Banned
So out of nowhere, this guy messages me on Steam asking me to trade my Red Faction Armageddon Maul, and he was offering me a Bill's Hat, score! I just need to wait for it to become tradeable ugh.

DarkKyo

Forkball said:
Tonight is quite possibly the night when, in theory, we might get the update according to speculation.

GET HYPE
I'd wager money on it. All signs point to tonight! I think I'm most curious about that "custom image" pin leaked awhile back.

Twig

Banned
Dechaios said:
I'd wager money on it. All signs point to tonight! I think I'm most curious about that "custom image" pin leaked awhile back.
Didn't all signs point to LAST night until last night?

Clydefrog

Sgt.Pepper said:
Leave it idling at least, tomorrow ends the double drop rate.

Okay :( I'll do it. I'll idle tonight before I leave for my soccer game.

sigh i better get 12 hats

idling instructions were a few pages back, right? i just have to change some command line in the .exe?

yeoz

corn_fest said:
I don't remember adding anything, though? I guess I'll go try to set all those things back to default next time I'm in game. And yes, pink is the best window color.
Are you sure you didn't add -textmode for idling? That would be what that is. Remove -textmode if it's there.

edit: to avoid this problem, I have a separate steam shortcut that has the following:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -textmode +sv_lan 0 +sv_pure 1 +sv_cheats 0 +map achievement_idle
That way I can keep my pristine tf2 launch options clean.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Orellio said:
Played for like an hour last night and got a hat and a couple other drops after not getting anything since Monday or so.

14 hours of idling, not 1 drop yet. Monday I got over 20 in 12 hours... I don't think it reset. =p

Clydefrog said:

idling instructions were a few pages back, right? i just have to change some command line in the .exe?
Code:
-textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload +map_background ctf_2fort
Right click on team fortress 2 in your steam library>properties>set launch options>add that.

Edit: Iadien, it did reset. I had reached my drop limit, now I'm getting drops again.

Nabs

yeoz said:
Are you sure you didn't add -textmode for idling? That would be what that is. Remove -textmode if it's there.

edit: to avoid this problem, I have a separate steam shortcut that has the following:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -textmode +sv_lan 0 +sv_pure 1 +sv_cheats 0 +map achievement_idle

take that code and place it in notepad. save it as whatever.bat and use that to launch tf2 whenever you want to idle.

DarkKyo

Clydefrog said:

Don't count on it.. you still have to be lucky. You might get one... I've been getting items on 3-4 accounts during double drop week and I still only have three hats from it so far.

DarkKyo

Twig said:
Didn't all signs point to LAST night until last night?
On the Saxxy awards page he pointed out that "the Saxton Hale Deathsport Invitational is tomorrow" meaning today. Add to that the bear he prepared for it, and leaks of a "raid mode" being added to the game... and you pretty much have another mode/event being added tonight. It likely will be a mode where you fight a bear or other types of bosses running around a map in the same way that you fought the Headless Horseman on Halloween.

edit: Damnit, double posted... My bad.

Twig

Banned
I got a Berliner's Bucket Helm and purple paint overnight.

But I only got two weapons I don't have, and I don't want 'em. What a waste.

yeoz

Dechaios said:
Don't count on it.. you still have to be lucky. You might get one... I've been getting items on 3-4 accounts during double drop week and I still only have three hats from it so far.
I idled on ~10 accounts the past week and this week, and I only got two hats last week, and no hats this week after the drops reset. :(

edit: i got like ~9 hats worth of metal though

Twig

Banned
I also got a hat a couple weeks ago, now, when I was just playing.

I don't want anymore goddamn hats. I want the fucking weapons I don't have you piece of shit game. Instead I get hats, paint, eyelanders, KGBs, and more useless shit.

Is it still possible to giftwrap/trade an achievement item? I don't want this extra lugermorph, but I'm sure someone, somewhere does.

webrunner

it's like when you go to a doctors office
you have to wait because they're behind and you get called an hour after your appointment then you go into the little exam room and there's no doctor there and finally he comes in half an hour later and you can finally MEET THE MEDIC

DarkKyo

Twig said:

I don't want anymore goddamn hats. I want the fucking weapons I don't have you piece of shit game. Instead I get hats, paint, eyelanders, KGBs, and more useless shit.

Is it still possible to giftwrap/trade an achievement item? I don't want this extra lugermorph, but I'm sure someone, somewhere does.
You can easily trade some scrap for whatever weapons you're looking for. I don't know what there is to complain about. You have thousands of users on probably a dozen big sites looking to trade their weapons for your scrap. I just did it the other day for steak sandvich + warrior's spirit.

Baha

Twig said:

Which weapons are you missing? If I have any extras I can hook you up. And yes, you can giftwrap the lugermorph and most other achievement/store bought weapons/hats.

Twig

Banned
Dechaios said:
You can easily trade some scrap for whatever weapons you're looking for. I don't know what there is to complain about. You have thousands of users on probably a dozen big sites looking to trade their weapons for your scrap. I just did it the other day for steak sandvich + warrior's spirit.
I'm well aware of the intricacies of the game, thank you.
Baha said:
Which weapons are you missing? If I have any extras I can hook you up.
A ton. None in particular that I want, but they are the entire reason I'm idling. Just thought I'd try out the weapons.

Why can't TF2 be a GOOD game and just let us use all the weapons whenever we want?
And yes, you can giftwrap the lugermorph and most other achievement/store bought weapons/hats.
Okay, cool. Who wants this shitty lugermorph?

Anony

Twig said:

A ton. None in particular that I want, but they are the entire reason I'm idling. Just thought I'd try out the weapons.

Why can't TF2 be a GOOD game and just let us use all the weapons whenever we want?

i do
i also have dups of almost every tf2 weapon, so i can trade anytime

Baha

Twig said:

Add me on steam (BahaFS) and I'll see what I can give you (weapons you're missing, not for the lugermorph).

Twig

Banned
Anony said:
i do
i also have dups of almost every tf2 weapon, so i can trade anytime
All right. GIVE ME ALL YOUR WEAPONS.

But seriously, I'm not actually that fussed about it. I'll add you anyway, though. U:

Twig

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Any idea what's the limit for people who hasn't missed the last 3 weeks? I got 13 drops, I don't think crates count. Just wondering.
Crates don't count. It used to be 7-10 per week. Or so. Now I have no idea, since I've been out of the loop for a long while.

Baha

Sgt.Pepper said:
Any idea what's the limit for people who hasn't missed the last 3 weeks? I got 13 drops, I don't think crates count. Just wondering.

I got 20 on both weeks from the looks of it.

Oreoleo

Iadien said:
14 hours of idling, not 1 drop yet. Monday I got over 20 in 12 hours... I don't think it reset. =p
Dunno what to tell you dude. I got drops last night, yeef got drops last night, other people idled all night and got plenty of items. Maybe you did something wrong but it definitely reset.

webrunner

You know, I wish you could save loadouts. There's a few sets I tend to use for things (ie, Homewrecker when on engineer backup, kritz instead of uber if on def and match not just starting) but not other times.

It'd be nice to be able to switch between the items easier.

Baha

webrunner said:
You know, I wish you could save loadouts. There's a few sets I tend to use for things (ie, Homewrecker when on engineer backup, kritz instead of uber if on def and match not just starting) but not other times.

Isn't there a bind for switching weapons already?

Ceebs

Iadien said:
Are you text mode idling? If so make sure you see the VAC Secured message to ensure you got connected to the server.

Oreoleo

webrunner said:

You know I could have sworn I read something about them working on exactly this.

Yeef

Baha said:
Isn't there a bind for switching weapons already?
There was, but they got rid of it a long time ago for some reason.

Valve is on the record as saying (paraphrasing) "loadouts are a good idea, we'll get to it when we decide to stop being lazy."

Baha

Yeef said:
There was, but they got rid of it a long time ago for some reason.

Valve is on the record as saying (paraphrasing) "loadouts are a good idea, we'll get to it when we decide to stop being lazy."

Are you sure? My bind still works..
Here's what I use: bind "f" "+quickswitch

Clydefrog

yeoz said:

Code:

I went home for lunch and did this... it loaded up the command prompt, then TF2, then back to the command prompt. It first said achievement_idle map not found. So I googled it and put it in my TF2 maps folder.

I loaded it up again... it had a bunch of jargon before finally saying “Artemis Clivefrog connected to server” players 1/24. I ate lunch. I checked it before I was leaving to come back to work and it had said

“Artemis Clivefrog has been dropped from the server.

Disconnect: No Steam Log on

Disconnect: No Steam Log on”

Wtf?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ceebs said:
Are you text mode idling? If so make sure you see the VAC Secured message to ensure you got connected to the server.

I am, and do see it.

EDIT: finally started getting drops... weird. 16 hours later.

Yeef

Baha said:
Are you sure? My bind still works..
Here's what I use: bind "f" "+quickswitch
He's not talking about switching to a weapon; he means equipping a weapon. Back when the class updates first started there was an 'equip' command you could use for scripting, but somewhere along the way Valve disabled it.

Ceebs

I don't think you need the server settings when setting up text mode. I have been using this without fail for some time now.

Code:
D:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -nopix -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw +map "cp_dustbowl"

Yeef said:
He's not talking about switching to a weapon; he means equipping a weapon. Back when the class updates first started there was an 'equip' command you could use for scripting, but somewhere along the way Valve disabled it.
The only class I would even need that for would be Medic so I could switch between the Krtiz and Medigun quickly when I change sides.

Clydefrog

Ceebs said:
I don't think you need the server settings when setting up text mode. I have been using this without fail for some time now.

Code:
D:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -nopix -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw +map "cp_dustbowl"

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home from work. And then I will delete that ugly achievement_idle map from my hard drive.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:
To take it a step further, I thought he was talking about saving custom load outs and switching between those, rather than having to switch multiple weapons to achieve the saem effect.

Forkball

Yeah easily selectable loadouts would be great. I hate having the wrong loadout because I forgot I changed it like having a Demoknight or Gunslinger Engineer when I'm playing on defense.

Hopefully we are a few hours away from the update. If not today, maybe tomorrow since they have to patch the double drops out. But if not tomorrow, very possibly next Thursday, or two weeks from now at the most. Although this depends on whether or not Valve is going have some month long bird ARG.

BELIEVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom