• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Borgnine said:
Ohhhhhhhhhh ok, I'm all up to speed now. Here's hoping the Soldier Tank Buster one shots fat bald bastards. I don't know about that leather softcap though. Kind of, um... you know.
I am expecting a slow but very powerful rocket, good for taking out Heavy's and Sentry guns, but being really bad for taking out Scouts and faster enemies. And a changed rocket jump.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
I am expecting a slow but very powerful rocket, good for taking out Heavy's and Sentry guns, but being really bad for taking out Scouts and faster enemies. And a changed rocket jump.
four simultaneous rockets or BUST (HAHAHA BUST HA)

(._.)

Banned
Sciz said:
They've mentioned "this month" twice now. But hey, Valve Time.
I don't recall Valve ever officially saying that. I recall a trusted PC gaming website saying that but not Valve.

Boonoo

Yeah, I don't think they ever actually gave a time table. What people have been basing this month on is that the art pass contest ends the 25th, so it was unlikely that it would come out before then since they'd most likely come out together.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Okay guys, so I want to get this game and like it. But something scared me off early on so I'm asking if there is a fix for it.

I'm obviously new to the game, and I'm a pretty casual gamer these days anyway. This is not only a game filled with veterans, but with people who play 100 hours a week. When I tried this at my brother's house, I was repeatedly killed very quickly by the far-on-top player of the opposing team. I was obviously the worst player on my team, being new. At first he was getting me as a heavy, so I stopped going to where their team was and became a sniper, then he became a spy to get me.

It's already difficult enough figuring out how to get the feel of a game where you can die so fast without a medic around, but having a pro target you because it gets him a bonus and sitting through the grudge animations 20+ times was too much. It really annoyed me and kept me from having any fun, and this is coming from someone who jumped into the insanity of Unreal Tournament. I don't need to be the best, or even be one of the middleground players, but if I can't even scrape out my own little experience with little victories, it plain sucks.

So is there a class-based server system like in SF4 or L4D? I don't want to have to orchestrate games with friends just to play against "normal" people.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Dice said:
Okay guys, so I want to get this game and like it. But something scared me off early on so I'm asking if there is a fix for it.

I'm obviously new to the game, and I'm a pretty casual gamer these days anyway. This is not only a game filled with veterans, but with people who play 100 hours a week. When I tried this at my brother's house, I was repeatedly killed very quickly by the far-on-top player of the opposing team. I was obviously the worst player on my team, being new. At first he was getting me as a heavy, so I stopped going to where their team was and became a sniper, then he became a spy to get me.

It's already difficult enough figuring out how to get the feel of a game where you can die so fast without a medic around, but having a pro target you because it gets him a bonus and sitting through the grudge animations 20+ times was too much. It really annoyed me and kept me from having any fun, and this is coming from someone who jumped into the insanity of Unreal Tournament. I don't need to be the best, or even be one of the middleground players, but if I can't even scrape out my own little experience with little victories, it plain sucks.

So is there a class-based server system like in SF4 or L4D? I don't want to have to orchestrate games with friends just to play against "normal" people.

Just change servers. If you're not having fun, just try a different one. When you find a server where the people tend to be around your skill level, favorite it.

Dice

Spire said:
Just change servers. If you're not having fun, just try a different one. When you find a server where the people tend to be around your skill level, favorite it.
Blah. With the industry the way it is now, there should always be a class structure, even if it's just honor system or personal server enforced.

Twig

Banned
Play on the GAF server. If you're as cute as your avatar, we'll welcome you with open arms!

But more seriously, the GAF server is a pretty skilled bunch (for the most part), but we do try to help people out as much as possible. I know I make the mistake of giving tips to the opposing team when I kill them. U:

Also, there are "newbie" servers around, if you want to start on one of those just to learn the ropes. I've honestly never played on one, though, so I don't know how... reliable they are.

Boonoo

Dice said:

Your experience sounds both typical and atypical for a new player.
It's normal to die a lot at the beginning; having someone specifically target you is pretty strange, though. I really don't even know how you'd do that since you can't see the opposing team's name when you mouse over them. I mean, now and then you might dominate someone and then keep killing them, but it's usually just more happenstance than a deliberate griefing attempt.

There's no matchmaking, so the best you can do is find a server with a good mix of people. What server were you playing on?

Here are some nice servers with a fairly good mix of people on them.

Gibbed Gaming 24 players
68.232.178.174:27015

Source OP 32 players
74.55.49.243:27015
67.228.59.145:27015

Source OP 24 players no crits no spread
67.228.59.144:27015

GAF 24 players
68.232.178.184:27015

2fort2furious 32 players (lots of custom maps)
67.18.19.3:27015

Something Awful 24 players
75.126.53.140:27015

Something Awful 24 players no crits no spread
75.126.36.34:27015

Blah. With the industry the way it is now, there should always be a class structure, even if it's just honor system or personal server enforced.

I don't think that this would work too terribly well since most people would rather play with a community they enjoy than a bunch of people who care too much about rank. Plus, I can't even begin to imagine how something like that would work with 1) player owned dedicated servers and 2) TF2 in general.

n0b

Borgnine said:
Ohhhhhhhhhh ok, I'm all up to speed now. Here's hoping the Soldier Tank Buster one shots fat bald bastards.

Thats just unfair, heavy is already weak as hell and direct hit takes them down almost instantly. Should be no direct damage but double splash damage, double splash range, and double push force.

Dice

Twig said:
Play on the GAF server. If you're as cute as your avatar, we'll welcome you with open arms!
:lol I use an extension to block avatars so I forgot mine was Hyomin.

If I get it, I'll wait for the next insane sale since it's a Valve game. I figure it'll happen sometime next month.

1-D_FTW

Are you sure he was even targeting you? I've abused lots of low-riders in my time and would have never even noticed what their name was if not for the dominated marker (which really doesn't get you any bonus. 1 point on the scoreboard, big wup. It's not like points are worth anything).

You didn't taunt him and piss him off, did you? It just seems very strange that anyone would ever care enough to target some nobody at the bottom of the list. And if you did find the one in a million player who did, I doubt you'll come across anyone else who ever does it to you.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My best advice: DO NOT PLAY CTF

The capture the flag mode is filled with poor maps, and people who play it 24/7, and is not newcomer friendly. What I think you should do is play something like Payload or Attack/Defend.

Also, when the Gaf server gets some people in it at around 8PM-10PS EST, join it. Though GAF does tend to get very competent teams together, I tried playing on a 24/7 high tower server and for some reason the enemy never built up level 3 sentries at the hill like normal.

1. Join GAF server
2. Target drkirby exclusively
3. Welcome to the prozone
The sad thing is that when I goto a random server, I feel like I have finally gotten good at the game, then I go back to the GAF server and get killed every 20 seconds after respawn and get a 1:2 K/D ratio :lol

Boonoo

Dice said:
:lol I use an extension to block avatars so I forgot mine was Hyomin.

If I get it, I'll wait for the next insane sale since it's a Valve game. I figure it'll happen sometime next month.

If you're looking to grab it on sale Amazon has it for 10 bucks at all times.

1-D_FTW

And also, when you dominate someone, nothing appears over their head. Only the dominated sees a nemesis marker over the person's head. My guess is you were (subconsciously) targeting him to get rid of the nemesis tag and were just tangling with someone who was superior in skill.

Dice

Markers? It was not so subtle. Whenever he would kill me it's like a little cutscene would play. It would display him killing me from a cinematic view, play special music and put up "DOMINATED!" on the screen while it zoomed over to his character doing a little taunt animation. I really didn't understand why the game thought celebrating my ass getting kicked would be any fun. This was not Sega Rally.

Also, I did not target him. I was trying to stay miles away from him.

1-D_FTW

Dice said:
Markers? It was not so subtle. Whenever he would kill me it's like a little cutscene would play. It would display him killing me from a cinematic view, play special music and put up "DOMINATED!" on the screen while it zoomed over to his character doing a little taunt animation. I really didn't understand why the game thought celebrating my ass getting kicked would be any fun. This was not Sega Rally.

I'm not up on the plug-in scene, but assuming that's not something a server can feature, he was definitely manually taunting after a kill then. I've never seen anyone do what you described. He's clearly a very "special" individual. I wouldn't worry about having that problem in the future. The TF2 community is as good as it gets.

Twig

Banned
Dice said:

Hahaha. Reading the description of the killcam from someone who got dominated for the first name is just funny.

Yeah, every time you get killed by someone, it zooms in on them, showing whatever they were doing a few seconds after your death. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's informative, sometimes it's humiliating. My favorites are when it shows them burning or exploding. U:

If he was ACTUALLY taunting you every time (are you sure he was actually doing the taunting animation?) then he was probably just an asshole. Most people rarely actually do the taunts. You can rest assured that overall the TF2 community is much more friendly than that. Assholes still exist (like me! but I'm a friendly asshole), but they're few and far between, in my experiences.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Dice said:
Markers? It was not so subtle. Whenever he would kill me it's like a little cutscene would play. It would display him killing me from a cinematic view, play special music and put up "DOMINATED!" on the screen while it zoomed over to his character doing a little taunt animation.

Yeah I don't really know if you have the right personality for this game. This is going to happen a lot. It's going to happen even when you're good. Nob does it to me all the time. ALL THE TIME. Also you're like the Cyclops of Greek myth, except you're Scottish, and I hate you.

Yeef

Dice said:

Unless the server you were playing on had some sort of killcam mod it shouldn't show him killing you. When someone kills you (whether or not they're dominating you) the camera zooms in on them afterward and does a freeze frame. When you dominate someone or get revenge on someone (kill someone who's dominating you) it plays a brief tune to let you know.

Anyone can do a taunt animation at anytime by pressing G (default key), but few people actually do it since it leaves you completely vulnerable to attack. Which taunt you do is based on the weapon you're using at the time. A handful of taunts can actually kill people (every class has at least one taunt kill). It's particularly humiliating to get taunt killed, but it's all in good fun.

Twig

Banned
Hm, I missed the part where he said it would show him actually getting killed.

That's kind of weird. U: Definitely has to be a server mod. As Yeef says, it's supposed to be just a freezecam of a second or two after the dude kills you.

Dice

Okay, good to know he was a rare breed of asshole.

Also, $10 + shipping is not as good as $5 on Steam which is likely to happen. Seriously, they do 75% off sooo often. Lara Croft GoL and The Sacrifice (L4D) are about to come out so I'm not in a hurry.

Borgnine said:
Also you're like the Cyclops of Greek myth, except you're Scottish, and I hate you.
You mean my Steam profile?

Twig

Banned
Dice said:
You mean my Steam profile?
I believe he is referring to n0b.

Borgnine:
n0b.gif

n0b-big.gif

n0b-bigger.gif

(._.)

Banned
Boonoo said:
Source OP 32 players
74.55.49.243:27015

One of the most popular and best servers of TF2 (VM 1 & 2). I used to play on it often and still do drop in every now and then.

here are some other good ones (everybody share your fav servers).

LotusClan | East Coast [Valve maps]
64.237.38.22:27015

Nemu's Battleground [Valve maps]
67.213.222.179:27015

Source OP #1 [Valve maps]

Freefrag Back to Basics [Valve maps] (plus several other FF servers)
99.198.108.173:27016

Exodus Society gameME (This one has a fast respawn and several custom maps, great player base though)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
Unless the server you were playing on had some sort of killcam mod it shouldn't show him killing you. When someone kills you (whether or not they're dominating you) the camera zooms in on them afterward and does a freeze frame. When you dominate someone or get revenge on someone (kill someone who's dominating you) it plays a brief tune to let you know.

Anyone can do a taunt animation at anytime by pressing G (default key), but few people actually do it since it leaves you completely vulnerable to attack. Which taunt you do is based on the weapon you're using at the time. A handful of taunts can actually kill people (every class has at least one taunt kill). It's particularly humiliating to get taunt killed, but it's all in good fun.
I think I made A Dog Chasing Cars paranoid of me when I managed to get a taunt kill on him when sniping. He was defiantly shocked that I was able to get behind him though, and the main reason I did the taunt kill is that I realized it was unlikely to kill him if I start setting him on fire, but the taunt would kill him instantly if he didn't notice the sound playing.

Javaman

Hey Confidence... is there any way to reduce the file size of the maps? I'm afraid that a 21meg KOTH and 38meg CTF will scare most people away from the server.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So i asked this in voice chat but don't know if i got a straight answer. Is it too late to sign up for the PuG team? I'd play medic/heavy/soldier or whatever you need/want.
I'm Chopperdave on a PC. I like playing with you guys and there are definitively people that are better than me but its worth a shot.

Twig

Banned
zombieshavebrains said:
So i asked this in voice chat but don't know if i got a straight answer. Is it too late to sign up for the PuG team? I'd play medic/heavy/soldier or whatever you need/want.
I'm Chopperdave on a PC. I like playing with you guys and there are definitively people that are better than me but its worth a shot.
If you're referring to the Highlander thing, then yes it's too late. Signups ended a long while ago.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting the soldier achievement for riding the cart? I am almost positive I sat on top of the cart, firing a few rockets, for some 40+ seconds a day or two ago, but I never got it. I only ever seem to see people get it in spawn when a new round starts, too.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Blizzard said:
Does anyone know if there is a trick to getting the soldier achievement for riding the cart? I am almost positive I sat on top of the cart, firing a few rockets, for some 40+ seconds a day or two ago, but I never got it. I only ever seem to see people get it in spawn when a new round starts, too.
I didn't have any difficulty getting it for what it's worth. I dunno, keep trying?

The only soldier achievement I know that's a bit glitchy is Medals of Honor.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:

I could have sworn that you'd already gotten that achievement. I distinctly remember joking that you used hax to get it because you just received it randomly when you switched from defense to offense.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Had lots of fun on the server last night! Highlights include:
Awesome ubering by Genocidal Sunshine (what is your Gaf handle, man? :D) I think my heavy shot up 10 or so points just from one.
Being repeatedly dominated by Blizzard.
Multiple fake Yeefs.
Owned Hardcore Style!!1!

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
I could have sworn that you'd already gotten that achievement. I distinctly remember joking that you used hax to get it because you just received it randomly when you switched from defense to offense.
It's weird because I seem to remember that too, except I definitely don't have it. Maybe there was an equivalent achievement for heavy or something?

I wonder if Owned Hardcore Style! will ever come back. :( n0b muted him for a week or something. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
You're experience sounds both typical and atypical for a new player.
It's normal to die a lot at the beginning; having someone specifically target you is pretty strange, though. I really don't even know how you'd do that since you can't see the opposing team's name when you mouse over them. I mean, now and then you might dominate someone and then keep killing them, but it's usually just more happenstance than a deliberate griefing attempt.

I don't this would work to terribly well since most people would rather play with a community they enjoy than a bunch of people who care too much about rank. Plus, I can't even begin to imagine how something like that would work with 1) player owned dedicated servers and 2) TF2 in general.

So...what is it you do again, Boonoo? :D

1. It was likely NOT a pro. Pros don't usually go spy; they go either demo or soldier.
2. It's your fault. Don't go running into battle without support. ESPECIALLY if you're a heavy. Related to this, if you're low on health or facing more than 2 people, run away. :p
3. Listen for the sound a typical spy makes. There's a loud popping sound for dead ringers, which means you should check your surroundings, and a soft cloth-like sound for regular cloaked spies. Just listen for them. I tried to mess Silencer up a week ago, and I thought I'd uncloaked far enough away, but sure enough, he was waiting for me as soon as I got to him.
4. It's boring, but go medic first, charge to 100%, right click for uber. It can be boring, but once you familiarize yourself with the maps and watch how your healing buddy reacts in situations, you get better a lot faster. AND you can be credit to team.
5. If you're still worried about spies, shoot EVERY single teammate you run across. You have plenty of ammo and there's nothing more satisfying when you find that odd spy out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom