• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Yeef said:
All item recipes are already in the client. Just go to crafting > common items > [weapon] and it'll give you the recipe for the weapon you're trying to make.

GAF server password is in this post, quote it to see it!

Thanks, I didn't remember how to hide secret messages... Cool stuff.

Made myself the Quick-Fix. No overheal is a bitter pill to swallow, but it's a good trade-off for the increased UberCharge. I tested it out on an offline practice server and I got some weird graphical effects. When using The Amputator, it and the Medigun would be out at the same time, clipping. It actually looked pretty cool. For the needle gun and quick-fix, it'd be in super first-person mode, with some black borders. I took pics but the they didn't show up for me to upload after I quit the game for some reason =/

I guess the game is buggy as hell for the time being. Had loadout issues when playing a pl map, too.

Yeef

Item server keeps going up and down so I can't craft anything still...

Except I managed to craft a soda popper. I like it a lot more than the force-a-nature, but it'll take some getting used to before I can declare it better than the scattergun. As long as you have it out it builds hype when you're moving around then immediately when your hype meter fills you get mini-crits for all of your weapons. It works great with the pistol. Get your hype meter just shy of filling, swap to pistol wait until you're right on someone, switch to soda popper and take them out. If you don't get them in the two shots, quick switch back over to your pistol with awesome minicrit damage and you're sure to finish them.

Meet the Medic gets better every time I watch it. I was a little underwhelmed when I first saw it, but with repeated viewings I appreciate it all the more.

The book the Pyro seems to want to burn looks like a Saxton Hale comic. Well, to me it does. I also love the Scout's expression at the end.

Wallach

MNC said:

The new banner at the top of teamfortress.com. They shifted the Heavy/Medic a bit; with the way the characters were set up across the top, it managed to look like the Demo had a dick growing out of the top of his head.

Chinner

Banned
theres literally shit loads of pubbies/shit players everywhere. servers indicate that theres only about 4 decent or good players while the rest are just shit.

Got my first offical hat drop today. Soldier's hat with card and cigerette. Nothing new sadly but I wasn't expecting that. Still waiting on the hat for purchasing TF2...

Baha

GruntOfAction said:
Got my first offical hat drop today. Soldier's hat with card and cigerette. Nothing new sadly but I wasn't expecting that. Still waiting on the hat for purchasing TF2...

The proof of purchase? You should have received it by now if you already owned tf2 prior to the free update. You won't get it if you upgraded your account.

Tried to get in the gaf server last night but after 3 times of connecting and getting a server full message I gave up. Was it as laggy as every other server last night? No matter what server I went to lag was crazy even with low ping.

Baha said:
The proof of purchase? You should have received it by now if you already owned tf2 prior to the free update. You won't get it if you upgraded your account.

Just noticed on the TF2 Backpack website that it was added without any kind of message.

Javaman

Proven said:
Heh. On the GAF server it's always better to let it rip sooner rather than later, as you don't know when a crit sticky is going to pop you before you even get to look around the corner. Seriously, I haven't been on any server that use Kritz as much as you guys have been lately.

Anyway, practically you want to use the Uber to get a job done. Save a key player, take out a key player, or take out a sentry. It doesn't matter when or how you pop it as long as you get a job done. Half of my Ubers are used just to save people like wartime and Java the second they're under half health. There's also pushing through a choke, but lately I'm finding that I need to multi-uber too much as one guy isn't going to have enough firepower once we're around the corner.

I know exactly what you mean. That's usually when I get bored of Medic and switch off to Soldier or Engineer. The #1 skill in this game is staying alive long enough to kill your opponent. If the team is spreading too thin I end up trying to get a big enough ball of players together by holding down a health pack area.
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the kritz. If the kritz person knows how to stay alive and doesn't run out like crazy it's MUCH more effective than an uber, especially if used on a decent soldier/demo/heavy. For me ubers are only useful for a sentry nest. Kritz are usually less suceptible to the pyro's air blast since they have less time to see it coming. I can't count the number of times that I'ved been stopped by one when using an uber. I really like the new medi gun. It works well on non sentry choke points where lots of players are taking damage. The accelerated healing also affects the medic withh and without the uber, minimizing the bluts health regen penalty. At 300% healing you are almost as protected as an uber unless headshotted or stabbed.

Baha

Chinner said:
they change and become different as you kill more enemies. keep it.

How do they change? I know they keep track of your kills and the text becomes brown. Also their stats reset when traded.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Thnikkaman said:
Well, it's all a matter of locking on with that heal beam and trying to avoid getting shot. Plus the patients were the ones that got the kills.

About when to activate charge - on the servers I've played on before I got a lot of lip for activating ubercharges when the other player has health left. I've been told a lot to only let 'er rip when either me of the patient will die. Then it turns out to be critmas!
Depends on the situation, but 99% of the time, don't listen to people complain unless they really know what they're talking about. Most people pn pubs don't. Medic is especially hard to give good advice for. Though people like rar/pet know what they're talking about

I was a comp medic and heard a lot of people claim really stupid shit that got me killed or was just plain bad advice.

Popping early isn't too too bad since you can charge it up again. Krillin is right that the best skill a TF2 player can learn is how to survive.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Baha said:
How do they change? I know they keep track of your kills and the text becomes brown. Also their stats reset when traded.
Don't think there's much info out just now, but according to the Wiki it changes to Unremarkable after 10 kills.

Baha

Chinner said:
theres lots of differnet onces as the kills grow.

Got a link? Might keep my Strange GRU now.

[EDIT]Nvm found a post on the SPUF with more info, posting it here for others:

Strange is a new item quality (like Vintage/Genuine/Unusual) that has been given to certain weapons. Each Strange weapon keeps track of the amount of kills you get with that weapon and "levels" up the weapon via a rename that will change every X amount of kills. These weapons are only obtainable in crates. The top tier "level" for a Strange weapon is "Hale's Own" where, once obtained, your weapon will be called Hale's Own Grenade Launcher. There is 20 levels, I am currently uncertain of how many kills it takes to reach each new level.

Proven

Javaman said:
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the kritz. If the kritz person knows how to stay alive and doesn't run out like crazy it's MUCH more effective than an uber, especially if used on a decent soldier/demo/heavy. For me ubers are only useful for a sentry nest. Kritz are usually less suceptible to the pyro's air blast since they have less time to see it coming. I can't count the number of times that I'ved been stopped by one when using an uber. I really like the new medi gun. It works well on non sentry choke points where lots of players are taking damage. The accelerated healing also affects the medic withh and without the uber, minimizing the bluts health regen penalty. At 300% healing you are almost as protected as an uber unless headshotted or stabbed.

Wait, huh? That sounds like something I haven't noticed and may be nerfed. Something to check later...

Also, I find with the QuickFix most of the Medic's melee weapons are unnecessary. I'm going to start running the Amputator or Bonesaw more often.

Wallach

Just a heads-up, don't pay much for any of the strange weapons if you trade for them.

Basically crates 19-21 have a class theme. 19 is Demo, 20 is Soldier, 21 is Heavy. All of the stuff in 19 is Demo (except unusual chance probably), all of the stuff in 20 is Soldier, etc. The strange weapons are the most common drops out of these crates; they replace the weapon slots that were in the older crate series, basically.

Wallach said:
Just a heads-up, don't pay much for any of the strange weapons if you trade for them.

Basically crates 19-21 have a class theme. 19 is Demo, 20 is Soldier, 21 is Heavy. All of the stuff in 19 is Demo (except unusual chance probably), all of the stuff in 20 is Soldier, etc. The strange weapons are the most common drops out of these crates; they replace the weapon slots that were in the older crate series, basically.
Yep, people are overpaying like crazy right now, just saw a guy trading his v. Fedora for a strange shootgun, lol
Poor people

DarkKyo

REALLY wanted a #'d hat from the new hats last night... didn't craft one but I traded my Bill's for a Demo Turban that is #58. I'm happy with my trade, my first #'d hat :)

yeoz

Blizzard said:
Don't mind me, I'll be crying in a corner. If anyone wants to give me a brass beast or natascha + 2 scrap, I can give you a name tag this evening.
I can give you a tomislav (for free). Got a spare one from my idlers. I'll have a full list of what spares I have later tonight and hand them out to people on the server. Can we keep the server password protected tonight too?

also, the new demoshield is broken as fuck. combined with the new +charge rate sword, you can jump, air charge, cancel midair, REPEAT and continually move at around 150% base rate. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9cg2lhKvg4&feature=player_detailpage#t=54s

Baha

yeoz said:
I can give you a tomislav (for free). Got a spare one from my idlers. I'll have a full list of what spares I have later tonight and hand them out to people on the server. Can we keep the server password protected tonight too?

also, the new demoshield is broken as fuck. combined with the new +charge rate sword, you can jump, air charge, cancel midair, REPEAT and continually move at around 150% base rate. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9cg2lhKvg4&feature=player_detailpage#t=54s

It should remain password protected for a week or so considering how many people are playing tf2 atm.

Blizzard said:
Don't mind me, I'll be crying in a corner. If anyone wants to give me a brass beast or natascha + 2 scrap, I can give you a name tag this evening.
I'll give you a natasha for free if you really want it.

Blizzard

Banned
yeoz said:

You're my hero, and I'll at least give you a name tag for it (or a couple of weapons if you prefer).

I'll have to watch the video later, but does cancelling a charge midair make your 6-second charge time stop at that point instead of discharging all the way? XD Can't wait to see this in use. I'm kind of surprised I didn't see it more last night with people getting the other new weapons.

yeoz

Blizzard said:
You're my hero, and I'll at least give you a name tag for it (or a couple of weapons if you prefer).

I'll have to watch the video later, but does cancelling a charge midair make your 6-second charge time stop at that point instead of discharging all the way? XD Can't wait to see this in use. I'm kind of surprised I didn't see it more last night with people getting the other new weapons.
I think that is what happens but I have not been able to try it myself yet. It definitely does get cut short (that is, it stops discharging) when stopped by a pyro airblast or things like that.
I imagine pyro airblast -> aircharge -> dead pyro might be possible?..

Proven

Blizzard said:

That Valve guy on the SA forums said that one of the not listed changes in this update is that if your charge is cancelled for any reason (you slash, crash into someone, get airblasted), then the meter stops at that point instead of emptying all the way out. This works for both shields, but because the new boots give a six second charge time...

They could fix this by adding a three or so second cooldown between charge uses, regardless of meter length.

yeoz, since you probably won't have an extra Hippocrates bust, I'd love it if you could save any of the new demo weapons for me. I'd prefer the boots, then the shield, then the sword.

yeoz

Proven said:
yeoz, since you probably won't have an extra Hippocrates bust, I'd love it if you could save any of the new demo weapons for me. I'd prefer the boots, then the shield, then the sword.
I've got a spare shield. Haven't seen the boots yet though.

edit: These are the spares I have so far. I'll be on the GAF server tonight to hand out stuff.
double edit: on second thought, no more requests please until we're actually playing tonight. :)
tomislav (blizzard)
splendid screen (proven)
winger (yeef)
winger
winger
quick-fix (remy)
quick-fix (dougie)
quick-fix (ceebs)
soda popper (forkball)
soda popper (accidante)
overdose
overdose
atomizer (accidante)
(and quite a few pre-über-update items for people who need them specifically for crafting into new weapons)

Xizk

I really want to try out the new Rifle but it will probably take ages for it to drop. I have some paint and a tag to trade if someone gets a spare.

Weenerz

Banned
Xizk said:
I really want to try out the new Rifle but it will probably take ages for it to drop. I have some paint and a tag to trade if someone gets a spare.

Craft it, I know you have extra weapons you can destroy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom