• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Grimm Fandango said:
Me and Orellio are going to cry in the corner regarding the Detonator. Don't mind us.
I'd be just as mad if I wasn't too busy testing out the Medic weapons. I'll QQ about the Pyro tomorrow.

I also wonder if the problem is related to the fact that it has a much weaker explosion if it hits the wall or floor. Maybe it's still possible to flare jump but just very hard to.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I am going to go watch Futurama and when i come back I hope the item server is working. I have enough stuff to craft all the new weapons, but the server refused to give me the chance!

Also, everyone worried about the detonator: in the beta manually exploding it made you go much higher than letting it hit a wall. Distance was also very ping-dependent. I'll give it a shot whenever I get the chance to craft it, but I'm skeptical that they would have nerfed it that much.
Let me know if you have any luck, like the badwater second point roof jump that I think was in the beta video.

For reference, if you let it hit the ground and crouch jump now, you can just make it onto the top ledge of the first attacking badwater mountain, if you're on the middle flat area by the medkit above the tunnel exit. </confusing description>

Wallach

Yeef said:
I am going to go watch Futurama and when i come back I hope the item server is working. I have enough stuff to craft all the new weapons, but the server refused to give me the chance!

Also, everyone worried about the detonator: in the beta manually exploding it made you go much higher than letting it hit a wall. Distance was also very ping-dependent. I'll give it a shot whenever I get the chance to craft it, but I'm skeptical that they would have nerfed it that much.

Feel free to try it yourself, but it doesn't work anymore. It may be a bug because you don't hurt yourself as much anymore either so maybe the vulnerability is tied into the force, but as it stands you go about as far as a FaN jump now.

Proven said:
I'd be just as mad if I wasn't too busy testing out the Medic weapons. I'll QQ about the Pyro tomorrow.

I also wonder if the problem is related to the fact that it has a much weaker explosion if it hits the wall or floor. Maybe it's still possible to flare jump but just very hard to.

Dunno I tried detonating immediately after firing it but no luck.

Meh I'm just mad because if this is how it was intended to be, Valve should have at least mentioned the flare jump ability has been severely decreased. If it's just a bug, okay, I hope it gets fixed soon.

I still had fun with the Detonator tonight regardless.

Is it just me or does that new rocket launcher have one hell of a knock back? Every time I got hit with it I went flying... Would love to try it out + that shotgun.

DarkKyo

I have an extra Enforcer(new Spy Gun) and I am looking to trade for another new item. Preferably Tomislav, Detonator, Soda Popper, or Liberty Launcher... any takers?

Proven

Thnikkaman said:
A few rounds and I know for sure that this game isn't for me. Shit, I wish I could be decent at it.
Hit up the GAF server tomorrow and Saturday night and we'll see what we can do. Just come early.

Thoraxes

Jeeze, 2 hours later and I still can't connect to any of my favorited servers.
Damn freeloaders and new patch.

Maybe once it slows down i'll be able to play on servers I like again. I have 10 server queues open right now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dechaios said:
I have an extra Enforcer(new Spy Gun) and I am looking to trade for another new item. Preferably Tomislav, Detonator, Soda Popper, or Liberty Launcher... any takers?

I was on some other server and normally, if I catch a spy and I whip out the SMG, he's done for. I think he killed me in two shots????

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Thoraxes said:
Jeeze, 2 hours later and I still can't connect to any of my favorited servers.
Damn freeloaders and new patch.

Maybe once it slows down i'll be able to play on servers I like again. I have 10 server queues open right now.
I would say it is more a problem with the patch. Freeloaders will be the problem next week.

Well, a lot of the weapons seem fun. Really like the new Heavy Gun, and Soilder seems to have a lot of fun stuff too. Not sure how much use the Disciplinary Action will get though, its useful but can be hard to manage (Plus, its a bit buggy right now, you can hit a person and the effect won't go off)

Only got to try the spy stuff a bit, so I don't really know. The HP drop from the knife isn't to bad, and the new gun really does pack a punch. That gun can eat though a Sentry gun really fast (Engineer building aren't effected by fall off, so Hitscan weapons do full damage no matter how far away you are.)'

Gun does about 65 damage at normal range, so two hits would be 130 damage, so he could actually take out a sniper in just two hits. Obviously, it makes his cloak not as good.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Proven said:
Hit up the GAF server tomorrow and Saturday night and we'll see what we can do. Just come early.
Nah, but thanks. Before you appeared as medic and tore shit up I had a couple of rounds at 2nd/3rd from healing (Zap Rowsdower). Still didn't really enjoy myself or feel like I was doing my team any good.

Acerac

Banned
Wow, I am typically pretty mediocre, but I have been tearing up since this update. New people don't know how to fight engineers, it seems. ^^;

The new heavy weapon seems neat; the increased speed is rather significant.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Drkirby said:
I would say it is more a problem with the patch. Freeloaders will be the problem next week.

Well, a lot of the weapons seem fun. Really like the new Heavy Gun, and Soilder seems to have a lot of fun stuff too. Not sure how much use the Disciplinary Action will get though, its useful but can be hard to manage (Plus, its a bit buggy right now, you can hit a person and the effect won't go off)

Only got to try the spy stuff a bit, so I don't really know. The HP drop from the knife isn't to bad, and the new gun really does pack a punch. That gun can eat though a Sentry gun really fast (Engineer building aren't effected by fall off, so Hitscan weapons do full damage no matter how far away you are.)

Hopped on yet another server. One dude who's comp and pub stomps people had the new solly weapons. I was using kritz on him. Christ, that new rocket launcher in the hands of an expert is godly.

Evlar

Banned
Acerac said:
Wow, I am typically pretty mediocre, but I have been tearing up since this update. New people don't know how to fight engineers, it seems. ^^;
Yeah. Good time to play a defensive class.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kuro Madoushi said:
Hopped on yet another server. One dude who's comp and pub stomps people had the new solly weapons. I was using kritz on him. Christ, that new rocket launcher in the hands of an expert is godly.
Well, it is just as strong as the normal one, just faster.

The new Heavy gun is simply great, their is literally no spin up sound. I think at the very least it should have some sound client side to know when its reved up.

DogWelder

Roofy said:
I am so bad. Its not even funny
Nah, you're just playing on the GAF server, there are a lot of experienced players. Especially today, pretty much all the top players were on the server at once. Give it time, especially since a lot of new players are going to be playing.

I think that Zap dude was new too. Orellio, don't get angry at newbs!

Joined a pub server, was getting rolled by Tomislav Heavies (they need to nerf that shit posthaste) but then went Engineer and successfully defended the last stage of Hoodoo with a minisentry. There were no other engineers. They just could not push.

Yeef

Thnikkaman said:
Nah, but thanks. Before you appeared as medic and tore shit up I had a couple of rounds at 2nd/3rd from healing (Zap Rowsdower). Still didn't really enjoy myself or feel like I was doing my team any good.
You were also playing on a brand new map, Barnblitz. That map is super cramped compared to most. I'd say give it one more shot.

DogWelder

EmCeeGramr said:
Joined a pub server, was getting rolled by Tomislav Heavies (they need to nerf that shit posthaste) but then went Engineer and successfully defended the last stage of Hoodoo with a minisentry. There were no other engineers. They just could not push.
lol pub servers, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I REALLY want the new heavy gun before it gets nerfed. :( I don't even have a brass beast though. If anyone wants to trade let me know.

Forkball

I got the new Spy knife as a drop, and honestly I don't see the appeal. 30% cloak on stab? One would assume it would be good with the Dead Ringer, but you have such little health that unless the stab brings your cloak up to max, you will die almost instantly before you can cloak.

Barnblitz seems pretty fun, but it's somewhat confusing and very vertical. It seems like it has a lot of choke points, but there are alternate routes if you look hard enough. We shoudln't abandon the map just yet.

I'm hoping tomorrow is a secret mega update that adds more stuff. While the new weapons are cool, overall I feel this update is kinda empty. Only one map, no new modes, no new gameplay features etc. Hell, they were even lacking in hats and crates. They said the update would be the biggest and most ambitious yet. Biggest? Maybe in terms of items, but the Mannconomy update was much bigger in terms of impact. Ambitious? Yeah, releasing it for free is pretty ambitious, but I was hoping for something that actually affected most of the current player base.

And Meet the Medic was amazing. Totally worth the wait.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
I'm hoping tomorrow is a secret mega update that adds more stuff. While the new weapons are cool, overall I feel this update is kinda empty.
Hey, I tried to prepare you for disappointment, but even I estimated too high. :p

Evlar said:
What is the recipe for Tomislav? Not having a lot of luck finding it.
All recipes are in the crafting menu if you own the game. It's like, 2 reclaimed + brass beast, and brass beast is a reclaimed plus natascha, and I don't have an extra natascha OR brass beast. Chances seem extremely low that I'll manage to make 6-9 scrap metal AND find a brass beast or natascha before they nerf the gun.

Oreoleo

esc said:
I think that Zap dude was new too. Orellio, don't get angry at newbs!

Heh, I wasn't mad really. Can't take a map too seriously when everyone on the server is playing it for the first time. But a heavy charging at a level 3 sentry with a medic at 100% charge, and the heavy is calling for the uber.. you should really let it rip. At least he'll know for next time :3

If I were actually angry I would have been much more obnoxious about it ;)

Plus he was at the top of the scoreboard so I didn't know he was new!

Blizzard said:
All recipes are in the crafting menu if you own the game. It's like, 2 reclaimed + brass beast, and brass beast is a reclaimed plus natascha, and I don't have an extra natascha OR brass beast. Chances seem extremely low that I'll manage to make 6-9 scrap metal AND find a brass beast or natascha before they nerf the gun.

And boy is it going to get nerfed.

Proven

Thnikkaman said:
Oh! You were Zap. But yeah, like the others have said, too many of us 500+ hour players may have been on at once. And a lot of the maps we played on weren't the easiest for new people. Maybe we should set up a second server sooner rather than later, and possibly with a more limited map pool.

The only other thing I can say is that if you didn't have fun with Medic, keep trying the other classes, like Soldier or Heavy. I flocked to Medic and a few other classes mostly because that's what I play in many other types of games.

And I need to do more server roaming. Half of my favorites were empty the whole night.
Blizzard said:
I don't want to check the Steam forums, but unless there's a huge outcry I think Valve will want to sit on nerfing the gun to try and let more people get used to it. It's hella powerful, but the saving grace is that it only improves on what Heavies often did with Sasha; sneak in close and shred you point blank.

Basically, you should be able to play with it through the weekend. If you don't have it by Saturday I'll hit you up. Busy Friday night.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Orellio said:
Plus he was at the top of the scoreboard so I didn't know he was new!
Well, it's all a matter of locking on with that heal beam and trying to avoid getting shot. Plus the patients were the ones that got the kills.

About when to activate charge - on the servers I've played on before I got a lot of lip for activating ubercharges when the other player has health left. I've been told a lot to only let 'er rip when either me of the patient will die. Then it turns out to be critmas!

Proven said:
Oh! You were Zap. But yeah, like the others have said, too many of us 500+ hour players may have been on at once. And a lot of the maps we played on weren't the easiest for new people. Maybe we should set up a second server sooner rather than later, and possibly with a more limited map pool.

The only other thing I can say is that if you didn't have fun with Medic, keep trying the other classes, like Soldier or Heavy. I flocked to Medic and a few other classes mostly because that's what I play in many other types of games.

And I need to do more server roaming. Half of my favorites were empty the whole night.
I'd rather the server still had a large map-list, after all if I keep going I need to learn the layouts anyway. Medic isn't boring, per se. It's just that with a lot of TF2 rounds being wars of attrition the game starts to drag. I keep dying and it feels like nobody's getting anywhere. Just something to get used to.

Oreoleo

Thnikkaman said:
Well, it's all a matter of locking on with that heal beam and trying to avoid getting shot. Plus the patients were the ones that got the kills.

About when to activate charge - on the servers I've played on before I got a lot of lip for activating ubercharges when the other player has health left. I've been told a lot to only let 'er rip when either me of the patient will die. Then it turns out to be critmas!

There is definitely such a thing as popping an uber too early, but as someone who has played a lot of medic, I'd rather pop it early and waste it than try to pop it at just the right time and die and have to wait for respawn and whatnot.

Forkball

Oh snap (stolen from Facepunch.) Remember the garbage soldier pack that was leaked in the STS leak but for some reason didn't come out in the update?

Go to about :30 in the F2P debut trailer.
PSSiL.jpg

[edit] And the hat.

8s6IR.jpg

EVERYONE GET BACK ON THE HYPE TRAIN.

Proven

Thnikkaman said:

Heh. On the GAF server it's always better to let it rip sooner rather than later, as you don't know when a crit sticky is going to pop you before you even get to look around the corner. Seriously, I haven't been on any server that use Kritz as much as you guys have been lately.

Anyway, practically you want to use the Uber to get a job done. Save a key player, take out a key player, or take out a sentry. It doesn't matter when or how you pop it as long as you get a job done. Half of my Ubers are used just to save people like wartime and Java the second they're under half health. There's also pushing through a choke, but lately I'm finding that I need to multi-uber too much as one guy isn't going to have enough firepower once we're around the corner.

Thnikkaman said:
I'd rather the server still had a large map-list, after all if I keep going I need to learn the layouts anyway. Medic isn't boring, per se. It's just that with a lot of TF2 rounds being wars of attrition the game starts to drag. I keep dying and it feels like nobody's getting anywhere. Just something to get used to.
I know exactly what you mean. That's usually when I get bored of Medic and switch off to Soldier or Engineer. The #1 skill in this game is staying alive long enough to kill your opponent. If the team is spreading too thin I end up trying to get a big enough ball of players together by holding down a health pack area.

Dug

Banned
Forkball said:
Well, there might be another chance for an update because if you click on the sun on the f2p page it doesn't lead to anywhere, but you can click on it. So maybe there will be a hidden link there later?

G2o9i.jpg

(Sorry if this was already posted)

Yeef

Strange weapons are just normal weapons that have a kill counter in their description. As they get more kills their name changes. At 15 or so kills they become 'Remarkable [Weapon]." Just more cosmetic nonsense that doesn't really mean anything like "Genuine" and "Vintage."

(I was a strange scattergun).

GAF server has a password now? help?

Also, does anyone have the recipe for the new Medic pack and the new Heavy gun?

Also, my "strange" item appears to have disappeared. :-/

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:
GAF server has a password now? help?

Also, does anyone have the recipe for the new Medic pack and the new Heavy gun?
All item recipes are already in the client. Just go to crafting > common items > [weapon] and it'll give you the recipe for the weapon you're trying to make.

GAF server password is in this post, quote it to see it!

Yeef said:
All item recipes are already in the client. Just go to crafting > common items > [weapon] and it'll give you the recipe for the weapon you're trying to make.

GAF server password is in this post, quote it to see it!

ty

I guess everyone's gone to bed. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom