• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

Forkball said:
Also I just realized how lucky the F2P people are when it comes to upgrading the account. If they have no money in their Steam wallet, they pay $5 for the full game and get $5 worth of Mann Co. Store credit (or Steam as a whole). So basically it's like "upgrade your F2P TF2 account, get a key or a hat!"

I was thinking, in regards to idle accounts: couldn't someone just buy a sticky jumper for .50 to make a premium account, and then use the other 4.50 on a game you could just gift yourself and not waste on Mann Co store items? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

TL4E

I played the game today for the first time now that it's free to play. I have to say, I'm quite impressed; I had a blast playing for 4 hours straight. And I'm not usually an FPS person either.

Weenerz

Banned
Have hit over 300 kills on my Strange Minigun, how many kills do I need to get to the last rank? And do we know if/what the reward will be?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Weenerz said:
Have hit over 300 kills on my Strange Minigun, how many kills do I need to get to the last rank? And do we know if/what the reward will be?
10,000, you get a fun name on the weapon.

AcciDante

Weenerz said:
From the wiki:

Title: Kills:
Strange 0
Unremarkable 10
Scarcely Lethal 25
Mildly Menacing 45
Somewhat Threatening 70
Uncharitable 100
Notably Dangerous 135
Sufficiently Lethal 175
Truly Feared 225
Spectacularly Lethal 275
Gore-Spattered 350
Wicked Nasty 500
Positively Inhumane 750
Totally Ordinary 999
Face-Melting 1000
Rage-Inducing 1500
Server-Clearing 2500
Epic 5000
Legendary 7500
Australian 7616
Hale's Own 8500

Getting back into TF2 after a 2 year hiatus and all this Mann-Conomy stuff is throwing me for a loop.

Is there a list of items that CANNOT be obtained through the drop system? or can everything theoretically drop? If I were to purchase a weapon or something, I would rather purchase one that wont drop for me ever.

I know this has probably been asked before, but a search turned up nothing of value. You guys are the best.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pookaki said:
Getting back into TF2 after a 2 year hiatus and all this Mann-Conomy stuff is throwing me for a loop.

Is there a list of items that CANNOT be obtained through the drop system? or can everything theoretically drop? If I were to purchase a weapon or something, I would rather purchase one that wont drop for me ever.

You guys are the best.
None of the weapons have to be bought. There are a very select few that can only be crafted (the promotional weapons from RIFT and the Headless Horsemans Headcutter I believe)

The only things to my knowledge that never drop ever are the team-based paints.

The_Technomancer said:
None of the weapons have to be bought. There are a very select few that can only be crafted (the promotional weapons from RIFT and the Headless Horsemans Headcutter I believe)

The only things to my knowledge that never drop ever are the team-based paints.
So there is no reason to buy weapons, unless I see one that I would like to get right at that moment?

Bravo Valve, for not selling all the awesome weapons like most free to play games.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pookaki said:
So there is no reason to buy weapons, unless I see one that I would like to get right at that moment?

Bravo Valve, for not selling all the awesome weapons like most free to play games.
Yup, exactly on both counts :D
There are no direct upgrades either, all weapons are designed as sidegrades. (now some weapons are almost directly better, like the Equalizer, since its downside almost never ever comes into play, but still)

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yup, exactly on both counts :D
There are no direct upgrades either, all weapons are designed as sidegrades. (now some weapons are almost directly better, like the Equalizer, since its downside almost never ever comes into play, but still)
What is the equalizer's downside? No healing?

Anyone have some extra Polycount hats they don't want and would like to get rid of them for cheap*? I still need them all except for the Milk Man :(

*Cheap meaning refined + a reclaimed or 2

Would anyone like to trade paints? I really want the Indubitably Green or The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime (Green's my favorite color). I can trade a Noble Hatter's Violet for one (preferably the latter).

Yeef

Blizzard said:
What is the equalizer's downside? No healing?
It does slightly less damage than the shovel at full health. No healing isn't a downside; it's to keep medics from griefing you.

Zomba13

The detonator feels weird for me. Like it doesn't pop when I click the button to make it pop, but slightly after. Is it lag or the way it's meant to be?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Zomba13 said:
The detonator feels weird for me. Like it doesn't pop when I click the button to make it pop, but slightly after. Is it lag or the way it's meant to be?
It felt like that a bit for me too
<--- but I'm already used to delayed explosions

As for the wut. It's basically a weaker rocket that aoe sets people on fire that you have to time.

DogWelder

Sgt.Pepper said:
Jesus, and I thought I played a lot today, There are people there that were playing when I disconnected. lol
I played like 5 hours today, which is way too much; it's Summer I gotta stop being antisocial. :/

esc said:
I played like 5 hours today, which is way too much; it's Summer I gotta stop being antisocial. :/
I leave socializing for weekdays, weekends are all about me. I spent too damn outside on weekdays so my quota is over the limit on weekends.

Also community service, which I need to do to graduate, is so dammed annoying. D=

After summer is gonna bite my ass, btw. I might even say goodbye to gaming for a while.

EDIT: Aaaaanyway, who wants to trade me a Sniper hat for my Tyrant's Helm, please? D=

Blizzard

Banned
I gave my new spy knife (Big Earner) to someone in exchange for the Soda Popper. I was no good with the knife, and I really like the Soda Popper. I definitely need to learn to aim or find some way to reduce lag/choke though.

I also got what I believe is my first new item drop, a Quick Fix. Haven't tried it yet.

Yasae

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
Would anyone like to trade paints? I really want the Indubitably Green or The Bitter Taste of Defeat and Lime (Green's my favorite color). I can trade a Noble Hatter's Violet for one (preferably the latter).
Green's my favorite color too. I hope that doesn't mean anything...

But I might have some paints - I traded away all my crates for them.

(._.)

Banned
The new scout gun that charges when you run made me miss the scatter gun after 20 minutes of using it. I like the idea of the weapon though. Will need to try it on some other maps.

Forkball

Thanks for the gifts tonight guys. I only got six drops this week, with only one of them being a new weapon. I did craft the Winger, Disciplinary Action, and zoey gave me a Soda Popper, so it's not a bad haul. I just need more metal to craft some other stuff.

Also please ban the Persian Persuader from the server.

Yasae said:
Green's my favorite color too. I hope that doesn't mean anything...

But I might have some paints - I traded away all my crates for them.
It means you're a pretty cool guy!

And I was sort of busy and couldn't mention that Yeef traded paints with me, so, yeah. Thanks anyway, though.

Zomba13

Blizzard said:
I gave my new spy knife (Big Earner) to someone in exchange for the Soda Popper. I was no good with the knife, and I really like the Soda Popper. I definitely need to learn to aim or find some way to reduce lag/choke though.

I also got what I believe is my first new item drop, a Quick Fix. Haven't tried it yet.
I like that you can switch to a different weapon while you have the mini-crit mode from the Hype. I expected to only have the mini-crits on the Soda popper.

I'm starting to get discouraged. It seems no matter what class I play I can barely ever manage to get kills. Not sure if it is because the average GAFer has more TF2/FPS experience than I do, or if I am doing something wrong.

I mean I can shoot 4 rockets at a medic and the splash damage doesn't finish him off.... yet it seems two rockets will always finish me off.

I'm starting to think direct combat isn't really my thing. Maybe it would be better to put my time into Engineer.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Obsessed said:
I'm starting to get discouraged. It seems no matter what class I play I can barely ever manage to get kills. Not sure if it is because the average GAFer has more TF2/FPS experience than I do, or if I am doing something wrong.

I mean I can shoot 4 rockets at a medic and the splash damage doesn't finish him off.... yet it seems two rockets will always finish me off.

I'm starting to think direct combat isn't really my thing. Maybe it would be better to put my time into Engineer.
Just keep at it. Use the normal rocket launcher (Direct hit has less splash Damage), or maybe give the pyro a try.

Grinchy

Banned
Obsessed said:

Try some other servers. It's pretty rare for me to do well in the GAF server, and that's after 100+ hours of playing. I'm not a master FPS player or anything, but I can usually do very well in other servers.

Random thoughts:

I traded some of my vintage duplicates for some weapons that I'd actually use and I'm really happy that I did. I'm really enjoying the Liberty Launcher and that jarate sniper rifle. Also, the Quick charge is interesting. it really changes how you play the game when you can't overcharge anyone anymore. It feels more hectic, trying to charge everyone all the time because you CAN now.

Speaking of weapons that change how you play the game, I got that Engineer robot arm and WOW...it's like you can play offensively with the Engineer. That mini sent builds so quickly! and since you can't upgrade it, you're free to think about other things. I *really* like that secondary weapon. Maybe more than any other. At first I was like, "WTF"...but after about an hour going back to the regular Engie setup felt extremely limiting.

What amazes me the most about those weapons in particular is that they all *significantly* change how the game is played. Or, how you approach any given game and situation. It's like playing a brand new game again.

<3 TF2. The gift that keeps on giving.

Oh yea, and the Strange Natasha...as someone was mentioning in the game, the only disappointing thing about it is that..well...it's a Natasha. Good for dealing with Scouts I guess...but in other match-ups, you lose a lot. Every time I go out with the Heavy, I think about the fact that I'd rather be going into battle with the Tomislav or Brass Beast. It's fun upgrading the name of a Strange weapon...but at a cost of making the class less effective? It probably won't be on my Heavy very often. Even though I enjoy watching my beautiful profile pop up on everyone's screen. lol

Blizzard

Banned
Zomba13 said:
I like that you can switch to a different weapon while you have the mini-crit mode from the Hype. I expected to only have the mini-crits on the Soda popper.
Yes, that's the best thing, using the pistol. If it were just crits on the gun itself, it still reloads too slowly to make it very useful in my opinion. With the pistol, it seems pretty good.

Dreams-Visions said:
Random thoughts:

Oh yea, and the Strange Natasha...as someone was mentioning in the game, the only disappointing thing about it is that..well...it's a Natasha. Good for dealing with Scouts I guess...but in other match-ups, you lose a lot. Every time I go out with the Heavy, I think about the fact that I'd rather be going into battle with the Tomislav or Brass Beast. It's fun upgrading the name of a Strange weapon...but at a cost of making the class less effective? It probably won't be on my Heavy very often. Even though I enjoy watching my beautiful profile pop up on everyone's screen. lol
I traded for a strange natascha today, since I wanted at least one strange weapon without buying a key. Natascha used to be able to slow scouts, but honestly I think you can go almost point blank range, maybe 5 feet away, and people hardly seem to slow at all. The spinup time is slow, and the damage is incredibly bad. I haven't checked whether it still stops demo charges. That would at least be useful, since I suspect it will hardly handle scouts now.

Valve really nerfed it into being almost completely unused as far as I can tell, presumably because people playing scout hated being slowed down so much. Everyone seems to figure tomislav will be nerfed. I just hope it, and heavy, don't get nerfed so much to be practically unusable like natascha. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom