• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm been wondering this since the update:

Mwggs.jpg

Are these Valve's servers?
Did they just pop up (new)?
Bots? Because the players are terrible.

Seems like all the newbs go here because I joined one last night and wrecked everybody. Definitely seems like an easy place for achievements.

Proven

Grimm Fandango said:
So I'm been wondering this since the update:

http://i.imgur.com/Mwggs.jpg[IMG]

Are these Valve's servers?
Did they just pop up (new)?
Bots? Because the players are terrible.

Seems like all the newbs go here because I joined one last night and wrecked everybody. Definitely seems like an easy place for achievements.[/QUOTE]
They're all new servers that Valve put up for new players, and when you hit the Start Playing button, those are the ones that are first choice. I think the multiple numbers may be because they set up multiple servers in different regions.

Oh, and Soldier tip. How I got semi-decent with Soldier: With 200 health, you're the second highest health class in the game. You're a mini tank. Unlike the Heavy you actually are the embodiment of mortar fire. On legs. This means you can walk up somebody, wait until you see the whites of their eyes, and then make them immediately wish they wore sunglasses that day.

Most weapons in this game do more damage close up. In closer combat, the Rocket Launcher does over 100 damage. Firing from afar is essentially heckling unless the opponent has under 150 health. Splash damage gets a harsh reduction unless it's an inch next to their feet. If you get a Medic on you the only time you ever have to stop walking forward while firing is when you have to reload. But then that's why they gave you a shotgun that can do up to 90 damage in close range.

thefil

Grimm Fandango said:
Seems like all the newbs go here because I joined one last night and wrecked everybody. Definitely seems like an easy place for achievements.

I think the etiquette for experienced players ATM would be to not play on these servers. It's hard to learn when you're just dying to one seemingly-godlike player over and over again. You should probably either go to another server or just play uselessly (i.e. caber demo, bat scout, taunt sniper).

Proven said:
They're all new servers that Valve put up for new players, and when you hit the Start Playing button, those are the ones that are first choice. I think the multiple numbers may be because they set up multiple servers in different regions.

Makes sense. I thought they were all bots at first since they played so horribly and no one had avatars except for me. But then I noticed they got drops and achievements and was just laughing at the situation.

thefil said:
I think the etiquette for experienced players ATM would be to not play on these servers. It's hard to learn when you're just dying to one seemingly-godlike player over and over again. You should probably either go to another server or just play uselessly (i.e. caber demo, bat scout, taunt sniper).

I might practice my Spy amongst them; I'm really awful with him. But yeah, I was playing as Demo which is one of my weakest classes and it was just abusive.

Oh and maybe get Jarate Chop lol.

Ceebs

Grimm Fandango said:
Makes sense. I thought they were all bots at first since they played so horribly and no one had avatars except for me. But then I noticed they got drops and achievements and was just laughing at the situation.

I might practice my Spy amongst them; I'm really awful with him. But yeah, I was playing as Demo which is one of my weakest classes and it was just abusive.

Oh and maybe get Jarate Chop lol.
I am truly awful with the spy as well and still managed a 60 point round of defense with YER+Dead Ringer on one of those.

Ketch

I keep crashing and getting this weird error whenever I try to open a replay.

GetDynamicBaseline: FindStringIndex(238-CTFWearableDemoShield) failed.

But I don't even play demo.

edit: only happens on replays made since the update. I guess it's not loading the new demo shield model?

Ceebs

Sgt.Pepper said:
Do F2P players not have avatars?
Not sure. I know Steam will not even let you add friends unless you have a game on your account (or at least that was how it was a few weeks ago)

Proven

You're all going to disagree with this but I'm starting to think that the Tomislave isn't that overpowered. It can beat a Heavy point blank, but other than that I don't find myself dying against it any more often than I do against Sasha. I'm already wary of Heavies however and am quick to turn corners since lag compensation can be ass to me, so I don't know. I just know I haven't had any extra problems even as Pyro.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
You're all going to disagree with this but I'm starting to think that the Tomislave isn't that overpowered. It can beat a Heavy point blank, but other than that I don't find myself dying against it any more often than I do against Sasha. I'm already wary of Heavies however and am quick to turn corners since lag compensation can be ass to me, so I don't know. I just know I haven't had any extra problems even as Pyro.
Fuck that gun

As a scout who relied on the gun revving up, that thing is too OP

Proven

Kuro Madoushi said:
Fuck that gun

As a scout who relied on the gun revving up, that thing is too OP
Like Natasha, it feels like a gun that is more effective against close combat classes like Scout and Pyro, but with the added bonus that it doesn't auto-lose against the other Heavy guns in close range. Compared to the other guns, it's weakest in midrange, so I just spam explosives or flares. If I had to give it a nerf, it'd probably be -50 health and only then maybe -30% or -40% firing speed (compared to its -20%).

Firebrand

Fun games last night.

Big thank yous to Artemis, Speculawyer and Commisar Bacon for the lovely gifts these past two days. (Even though it was mostly wrapped fish.)

Proven

Firebrand said:
Fun games last night.

Big thank yous to Artemis, Speculawyer and Commisar Bacon for the lovely gifts these past two days. (Even though it's was mostly wrapped fish.)
Crap, I knew I forgot to do something when I woke up this morning.

Seriously you guys, thanks those gifts.

Yeef

thefil said:
I'd say the etiquette is to explain to the new players what they're doing wrong if they're doing something really stupid. Like spies walking toward you disguised in the middle of a group of the other team.

I was playing on a server I play on a lot when I want to play mindlessly last week (24/7 harvest, fast respawn) and I was playing melee-only witcher sword scout and still topping the scoreboard. So, i don't think bad players are limited to noobs.

EmCeeGramr said:
I should stop posting these but i can't stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3b8uLQxRc
I lol'd. :D

Proven said:
In heavy vs. heavy matchups I'd say it's decently balanced, but against other classes it really isn't. It basically takes away your ability to ambush a Heavy. Obviously he'll still go down if enough people are attacking him, but in 1v1 situations with the minigun you can generally take out a heavy with most classes if you catch him off guard. The tomislav makes that significantly more difficult. Two of the defining elements of the class is slow movement and slow, but powerful attacking. With the GRU and Tomislav equipped you negate both of those with virtually no downside.

DogWelder

Proven said:
Like Natasha, it feels like a gun that is more effective against close combat classes like Scout and Pyro, but with the added bonus that it doesn't auto-lose against the other Heavy guns in close range. Compared to the other guns, it's weakest in midrange, so I just spam explosives or flares. If I had to give it a nerf, it'd probably be -50 health and only then maybe -30% or -40% firing speed (compared to its -20%).
Tomislav is super OP. I feel privileged being able to to use it before it gets nerfed (thanks for the trade btw!). I'd play Tomislav fatty all day, but it's kinda cheesy. . .like playing Vanilla demo all the time.

Proven

Yeef said:
In heavy vs. heavy matchups I'd say it's decently balanced, but against other classes it really isn't. It basically takes away your ability to ambush a Heavy. Obviously he'll still go down if enough people are attacking him, but in 1v1 situations with the minigun you can generally take out a heavy with most classes if you catch him off guard. The tomislav makes that significantly more difficult. Two of the defining elements of the class is slow movement and slow, but powerful attacking. With the GRU and Tomislav equipped you negate both of those with virtually no downside.

I see. The thing for me is that I simply never tried to ambush a Heavy very often anyway without an overwhelming advantage. So the Tomislav effects me less, and awareness + corners save me from the GRU rushing anyway. I still think that if a weapon changes one of the character's disadvantages, try to figure out their new one. They definitely are weaker and easier to escape from at midrange. It's probably the primary reason Valve didn't try to nerf it on Friday.

DogWelder

EasyTGT said:
Lots of advice for you so far from the rest of these guys, but that's all crap. I constantly find myself in that same situation and the #1 best advice is just don't give up. You're in a slump, you'll come through it, you'll pwn face, and it will be GLORIOUS.

Just know that there is light at the end of your death tunnel and all you have to do is ride the death train to deathsville and get killed when you get there... like a hundred times. But it'll be worth it when you finally shove a rocket down stupid kuro's face and share a laugh as he goes "Bwahaha! Oh Ketch! You finally got me!" but deep down inside you know that's it not funny, there are no jokes... this is deadly serious.. and they're all gonna pay.

edit: heavy is for babies.
What is this, a crappy Shonen manga? MY ADVICE WAS PRACTICAL.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I never use the GRU to run up close anyway. I always use it to close about 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the distance to the current front, and then switch out and grab some health.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*sigh* Servers full and all I want to do is play with Yeefels. :(

Yasae

Banned
Chinner said:
so the quick-fix is pretty terrible and isn't effective. I think it could be fixed if they either allowed over-heals, or made it so it had a quicker uber time but the medic doesn't get ubered (like the video).
The biggest problem with the quick fix is that you don't get many points for healing. Normally medics rack up a score from heals and overheals; they earn points if their medi-gun is active, basically. The quick fix only earns points for actual heals. Once someone's at full health, you don't earn anything.

It's not easy to tell when the uber is active, and that leads to a bunch of players wasting it.

Proven said:
I see. The thing for me is that I simply never tried to ambush a Heavy very often anyway without an overwhelming advantage. So the Tomislav effects me less, and awareness + corners save me from the GRU rushing anyway. I still think that if a weapon changes one of the character's disadvantages, try to figure out their new one. They definitely are weaker and easier to escape from at midrange. It's probably the primary reason Valve didn't try to nerf it on Friday.
I think the disadvantage to using the Tomislav is that you're inclined to take more risks as a Heavy because you feel you cannot be stopped. I think we will see more Heavies running out on their own. Easier to pick off that way.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yasae said:
The biggest problem with the quick fix is that you don't get many points for healing. Normally medics rack up a score from heals and overheals; they earn points if their medi-gun is active, basically. The quick fix only earns points for actual heals. Once someone's at full health, you don't earn anything.

It's not easy to tell when the uber is active, and that leads to a bunch of players wasting it.
Yeah, the uber needs some better visual cues. The over-healing thing feels like a fair price for the effects though. Usually I'd top off my team in the spawn before the round starts with a regular gun then switch to the Quick Fix for the actual round

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, the uber needs some better visual cues. The over-healing thing feels like a fair price for the effects though. Usually I'd top off my team in the spawn before the round starts with a regular gun then switch to the Quick Fix for the actual round
Agreed on all counts.

Ceebs

Yasae said:

I think the lack of an easy to see uber indicator is fine now that I think about it. To me that uber should be spread around to as many people as you can hit with it. The lack of an effect for the target means they are not going to get stupid and run out in the open.

More holding a chokepoint during a push and topping everyone off quickly after something nasty are the uses I can think of for it.

Corto

Ok I had a blast yesterday on GAF server even being a complete neophyte. Sorry if I dragged my team down... hehehe he he If you guys don't mind I will try to play some more latter today. I'm most confortable as Medic. My Steam ID is corto1976

I hate to get into this, but what's the best route to go to sell an item? Maybe trade, but I don't care about hats.

I have a Villains' Veil I wanna get rid of, it sucks because all the best drops I get are for classes I don't play. I had an unusual kabuto helm for solider way back when.

Yasae

Banned
Ceebs said:
I think the lack of an easy to see uber indicator is fine now that I think about it. To me that uber should be spread around to as many people as you can hit with it. The lack of an effect for the target means they are not going to get stupid and run out in the open.

More holding a chokepoint during a push and topping everyone off quickly after something nasty are the uses I can think of for it.
Except against demo crits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom