• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

commissar

I added funds for steam sale and next thing I know I bought two keys

and then I got a strange natascha :(

Firebrand said:
Anyone else been having connection problems since the update? Keep getting booted for "No Steam logon".
I think this whole free to play thing is taking quite a toll on Valve's servers. I've noticed my friends list status doesn't auto update. So it said on multiple occasions that friends were playing in my game when in reality they weren't even playing the game anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
GAF server was back to old times today. It was goldrush or dustbowl, and I think one team with wartime, lemmy, toxic, etc. had 2-4 times the points of the other team pretty much across the board. Thanks to wartime for switching in the end. We almost made it to the first point of the last map, and we wouldn't have gotten that far without you probably. =P

Zomba13

Has anyone had their Team Spirit painted items now just become red? I noticed it on my Foster's Facade and on my Trophy Belt and my Officer's Ushanka. In game they are just Red Team red and they only have a red blob on them in the backpack.

Air

Banned
Hey Tf2 gaf, do you guys play on any specific servers? I haven't played in a while and hate hopping between dozens of servers. If you want to add me my steam id is wafflz. I will be on later provided I get some work done!

DarkKyo

I used "Balaclavas are Forever" on my glengarry bonnet and it isn't having the same problem as Team Spirit...

Also, it looks fucking awesome on glengarry bonnet. I'll post a screenshot a little later on. I'm interested in seeing how "Cream Spirit" looks on hats. I also used the most desaturated team spirit paint on my hound dog, also looks pretty cool!

Proven

Technosteve said:
strange charging targe for something, =(
I wouldn't mind trading for it, but I don't think I have anything you want. Need to set up a backpack account somewhere...
Zomba13 said:
Has anyone had their Team Spirit painted items now just become red? I noticed it on my Foster's Facade and on my Trophy Belt and my Officer's Ushanka. In game they are just Red Team red and they only have a red blob on them in the backpack.
Last I heard they've been glitched since Thursday. The red blob thing sounds like a new one though.
Anony said:
anyone interested in dueling minis for new weapons?
If I get any extras I may look you up...

meh demo shields are really useless.Also What the hell going on with vac kicking.getting kicked everywhere(no steam logon).
Edit:-just got a S pain train for that Shield :p

Grinchy

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
All of my games have been so laggy lately. It's almost impossible to play. I blame it all on F2P.
Me too!

I will have like 28 ping, yet the room will get choppy as hell. It happens in just about every server (even ones that are typically buttery smooth for me). Although, it is strange that the GAF server wasn't showing the same jankiness (no pun).

Blizzard

Banned
Grinchy said:
Me too!

I will have like 28 ping, yet the room will get choppy as hell. It happens in just about every server (even ones that are typically buttery smooth for me). Although, it is strange that the GAF server wasn't showing the same jankiness (no pun).
GAF server might have been a little better without replays, but I still have like 50-70 choke (net_graph 3 to see your choke) with 75 fps. I want some kind soul to tell me if that's bad, and if it's likely that there's anything I can do to fix it. :|

DarkKyo

If anyone is wondering what "Balaclavas are Forever" paint looks like, here it is on my favorite Demo hat...

P11yD.jpg

It looks about 10x more badass when I'm on BLU, holy crap. I'm pretty happy with the color, though.

DarkKyo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Ok hat experts, what can I get for a horrible Tyrant's Helm?
I f*cking love the Tyrant's Helm. You just need to color it right. I recommend orange or indubitably green. Both look fantastic.

Yeef

Anony said:
why
the gaf server is empty most of the day
it's either full from 9est to 12-2est, or it's empty
Because I get tons of people sending me messages complaining about the server being full. It's only a few bucks a month to setup a server, so I don't see any reason not to set up a second to test the waters. Ideally I'll find a plugin that can redirect to the other server when the main one is full.

yeoz said:
Uh, I'll give you a hat or something for it.
http://www.tf2b.com/id/yeoz

edit: did you still want that winger? :D
Not really interested in any of your hats (except Max's Head :p), but I'll tell you what: how about a winger, a radigan brown and however many jarates you're willing to part with?

Evlar

Banned
I'm finally putting some effort into learning to play the Soldier effectively, thanks to that Riding Crop. I guess the movement speed bothered me more than I realized.

So I've come across two strange weapons, a direct hit and an eyelander. I've got about 150 kills on the direct hit and it's still changing names. I'm wondering though, at some point are the stats going to change? If not I just don't understand the significance of the strange weapons, and if they do change stats over time I don't think I want to play TF2 anymore.

Yeef

19 & 21 said:
So I've come across two strange weapons, a direct hit and an eyelander. I've got about 150 kills on the direct hit and it's still changing names. I'm wondering though, at some point are the stats going to change? If not I just don't understand the significance of the strange weapons, and if they do change stats over time I don't think I want to play TF2 anymore.
Stats shouldn't change; it's just for bragging rights. Supposedly trading strange weapons resets their kill counter back to 0, so it's not even like they're useful for trading.

DarkKyo

19 & 21 said:
Strange weapons only upgrade in name. It's supposed to add a little RPG element to your normal weapons, being able to "level them up". I guess.

If same weapons could have different stats, you would see a community shit storm brew like never before.

derFeef

Can someone explain me how the Detonator works? I seem to be able to detonate the flare but only at long distance, sadly it does nothing. Is it supposed to do area dmg?

yeoz

Yeef said:
Because I get tons of people sending me messages complaining about the server being full. It's only a few bucks a month to setup a server, so I don't see any reason not to set up a second to test the waters. Ideally I'll find a plugin that can redirect to the other server when the main one is full.
Ok, here's a terrible idea: how about a 32 player server for the overflow server.

derFeef said:
Can someone explain me how the Detonator works? I seem to be able to detonate the flare but only at long distance, sadly it does nothing. Is it supposed to do area dmg?
The AoE isn't that big. It's only really good for detonating near-misses. Also, it's a projectile, so lag can affects where your targets really are (i think).

Dechaios said:
I f*cking love the Tyrant's Helm. You just need to color it right. I recommend orange or indubitably green. Both look fantastic.
Eh, my Team Captain will always be the hat for my Soldier. That's why I want to trade it.

derFeef

yeoz said:
The AoE isn't that big. It's only really good for detonating near-misses.
It is hard to recognize if its detonating because there is no audiovisual indication. Does it detonate on wall/surface contact?

DarkKyo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Eh, my Team Captain will always be the hat for my Soldier. That's why I want to trade it.
I understand this feeling but there's never any harm in having two awesome hats to switch between for one class :p

Sanic

Anyone interested in trading one of their strange weapons for a strange natascha? I usually play Soldier, Pyro, or Spy, so I would like something I could use with one of those classes.

Forkball

Protip: The reason that people put the server password in the e-mail tag that you can only see via quoting is so non-GAF players are at a minimum. GAF has a ton of lurkers, so just posting the password means that people who don't even have accounts here can flood the server when the goal of the GAF server is for GAFfers to meet up and play.

Also, the strange weapons are a pretty ingenious move by Valve. Many people didn't want to buy crates because there was a big chance they would get squat. But now, you either get a strange weapon or a hat. Not sure how strange weapons will do in the "trade economy" but I think the good weapons will be worth around a refined, which is fairly valuable. The upgrade alerts, as annoying as they are, is also a smart move since the entire point of the weapon is to show off.

Also I just realized how lucky the F2P people are when it comes to upgrading the account. If they have no money in their Steam wallet, they pay $5 for the full game and get $5 worth of Mann Co. Store credit (or Steam as a whole). So basically it's like "upgrade your F2P TF2 account, get a key or a hat!"

A second server
degroot 24/7
would be cool, but I'm not sure how long the insane traffic on the GAF server will last. Will the F2P people stick around after a month, or even a week? Will everyone not play as much once the new weapon hype fades away? Will we throw TF2 on the backburner once the summer sale hit?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Pandoracell said:
Verify file integrity?

Done that a number of times and it claims everything is a-ok.

I might just re-download the game tonight. It's not a major issue, does look funny, Thought maybe other people were having issues which might mean it's a driver fault etc etc.

Forkball said:
A second server
degroot 24/7
would be cool, but I'm not sure how long the insane traffic on the GAF server will last. Will the F2P people stick around after a month, or even a week? Will everyone not play as much once the new weapon hype fades away? Will we throw TF2 on the backburner once the summer sale hit?

These are my same concerns, but I'm also worried about splitting our usual players apart between servers :(

I have a feeling the player count will return to normal in a week or two...
or when summer ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom