• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreams-Visions said:
Question: what does the numerical trading notation mean? I see "1.5" and "2.33" on the trading servers but don't understand the source of value calculations.

2.33 refined is 2 refined metal and 1 reclaimed metal. Or 2.33 reclaimed is 2 reclaimed and 1 scrap.

Not sure what 1.5 is but I'm guessing 1 scrap and 1 random weapon.

Baha

Dreams-Visions said:
Question: what does the numerical trading notation mean? I see "1.5" and "2.33" on the trading servers but don't understand the source of value calculations.

Ok, here's the break down:

scrap = 2 weapons
reclaimed = 6 weapons or 3 scrap
refined = 18 weapons or 3 reclaimed or 9 scrap

Hence we can say that 2.33 refined is 2 refined 1 reclaimed or 2.66 reclaimed is 2 reclaimed 2 scrap.

Thus we move onto keys

keys = 2.33 refined
Bills = 5 keys
Buds = 10 keys or 2 bills
Max's head = 3-3.5 buds

So 3.5 buds = 3 buds, 1 bills.

Markot said:
Valve needs to set up a web-page based trading system >.<

They don't need to, the community already has one: www.tf2tp.com
You sign in using your steam account and you can manage trades or offers while accessing your backpack to propose trades or offers. It's quite convenient but also time consuming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Baha said:
Ok, here's the break down:

scrap = 2 weapons
reclaimed = 6 weapons or 3 scrap
refined = 18 weapons or 3 reclaimed or 9 scrap

Hence we can say that 2.33 refined is 2 refined 1 reclaimed or 2.66 reclaimed is 2 reclaimed 2 scrap.

Thus we move onto keys

keys = 2.33 refined
Bills = 5 keys
Buds = 10 keys or 2 bills
Max's head = 3-3.5 buds

So 3.5 buds = 3 buds, 1 bills.
Its like staring into some strange alien world.

Baha

While the community can dictate the value of items, most of the time it comes down to preference which is how many people find "deals". When a guy offers a Nappers for 2 summer crates, the majority of people won't tell him he's wrong but rather will facilitate his trade since that's what he wants.

XeroSauce

The_Technomancer said:
Its like staring into some strange alien world.
Think of Refined as Silver, and Keys as gold. It's common currency, because anyone can get it easily.

However, high level promos use Earbuds as a currency, because the metal and keys are too high of a number. Since earbuds are reletivly rare and always wanted, they act as promo currency. I remember a time when Max's used to go for 6 buds, and now it's only 3-4.

Baha

XeroSauce said:
Think of Refined as Silver, and Keys as gold. It's common currency, because anyone can get it easily.

However, high level promos use Earbuds as a currency, because the metal and keys are too high of a number. Since earbuds are reletivly rare and always wanted, they act as promo currency. I remember a time when Max's used to go for 6 buds, and now it's only 3-4.

Not only that but high value promos also served to counteract the small trading window that was available at the time. When trading came out you only had 4 slots. This led to a lot of scams since people would do trades involving more than 4 items and it was a big oversight on Valve's part. Now we have 8 slots but our trades still exceed that limit. Thankfully the community has stepped up and there are reputable people who can middle man for large trades. Having buds be so expensive serves both it's popularity and trading in general.

XeroSauce

Baha said:
Not only that but high value promos also served to counteract the small trading window that was available at the time. When trading came out you only had 4 slots. This led to a lot of scams since people would do trades involving more than 4 items and it was a big oversight on Valve's part. Now we have 8 slots but our trades still exceed that limit. Thankfully the community has stepped up and there are reputable people who can middle man for large trades. Having buds be so expensive serves both it's popularity and trading in general.
Oh my god, I remember countless amounts of people trying to scam me out of 4 hats by demanding I make the first trade. Tons and tons of whine threads on the Steam Powered forums about scammers etc. It was a dark time, haha

DarkKyo

Wow... just played a little lottery game on the TF2 official steam trading board and won an Engineer unusual! It's not amazing(green confetti) but damn, my first unusual after so long.

Baha

FuzzyNorman said:
So what is the best way to get a rare weapon/hat? Drops? Crates? Lucky trades?

Well, unusual hats are only found in crates but have like a 1% or less chance of dropping so it comes down to how lucky/rich you are. Keys are the best method for obtaining bills or buds but you can only buy them. If you have the metal you can trade for them (2.33 refined is the going price, anything more and they're overcharging imo). So get 5 keys, trade for a bills. Get 2 bills, trade for a buds. Get 3 buds, maybe 3.5, get a Max's head. You can also trade buds, bills & max's heads for an unusual hat but that's a whole 'nother ballpark in terms of value.

Ghost23

Baha said:
Well, unusual hats are only found in crates but have like a 1% or less chance of dropping so it comes down to how lucky/rich you are. Keys are the best method for obtaining bills or buds but you can only buy them. If you have the metal you can trade for them (2.33 refined is the going price, anything more and they're overcharging imo). So get 5 keys, trade for a bills. Get 2 bills, trade for a buds. Get 3 buds, maybe 3.5, get a Max's head. You can also trade buds, bills & max's heads for an unusual hat but that's a whole 'nother ballpark in terms of value.

Honestly, I just want a bud. :p Since I got the game for free in the first place, I would be willing to buy it for a few keys.

I never thought I would want something so utterly useless! You've defeated me, Valve...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dechaios said:
Wow... just played a little lottery game on the TF2 official steam trading board and won an Engineer unusual! It's not amazing(green confetti) but damn, my first unusual after so long.
Thats pretty good luck. Which hat is it?

Personally, I find all the unusual effects look poor, rather stick to normal hats.

thefil

Apparently NeoGAF Janky-Ass Server is the best place to unbox unusuals.

2011-07-02_00001.jpg

I feel extremely lucky, I've only opened like 8 crates.

Baha

FuzzyNorman said:
Honestly, I just want a bud. :p Since I got the game for free in the first place, I would be willing to buy it for a few keys.

I never thought I would want something so utterly useless! You've defeated me, Valve...

Well don't trade more than 10 keys for a buds, you might be able to get one for 9 keys however. If and when you have the keys and need to trade, ask me. I know a good server with admins so you can trade w/o getting scammed.

Inkwell

Banned
Whether he realized it or not, fallengorn won my little tf2 competition. Pick an item from my backpack, or pick the 3 refined to craft something. I have a few things I'd rather not part with (max head, vintage lugermorph, master's yellow belt, and genuine items).

http://www.tf2b.com/?id=inkwell

XeroSauce

thefil said:
Apparently NeoGAF Janky-Ass Server is the best place to unbox unusuals.

2011-07-02_00001.jpg

I feel extremely lucky, I've only opened like 8 crates.
Got a searing plasma tyrants on my fourth crate, trade for sunbeams beret, traded that for 4 buds, big kill, and some hats, traded a bunch of buds for metal and hats (buds only worth 8 ref back then) and nearly filled my backpack with favourite hats.

Never tested my luck again

Baha

XeroSauce said:
Got a searing plasma tyrants on my fourth crate, trade for sunbeams beret, traded that for 4 buds, big kill, and some hats, traded a bunch of buds for metal and hats (buds only worth 8 ref back then) and nearly filled my backpack with favourite hats.

Yeah, the only unusual I ever unboxed helped me eventually complete my vintage hat collection.

thefil

XeroSauce said:

The trading scene seems a little frightful for me. There aren't enough hats I want to make it worth it to me. I almost traded my earbuds and medal a while ago, but held off.

Although... one unusual, but still no good Heavy/Medic/Scout/Sniper hat :(

XeroSauce

thefil said:
The trading scene seems a little frightful for me. There aren't enough hats I want to make it worth it to me. I almost traded my earbuds and medal a while ago, but held off.

Although... one unusual, but still no good Heavy/Medic/Scout/Sniper hat :(
Unless you have a clear goal in mind (a few hats, promos, whatever) then i'd say hold back on trading. Trading promos just to trade gives you the mindset to settle for anything, and not the best offer.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn Metaphorically...

For the love of all that is holy, FREAKIN SPY CHECK YOU IDIOTS!

Had a bad run today and had a bad run opening crates. 3 Strange shotguns in a row...

NEVER AGAIN WITH THE KEYS! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grinchy

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Goddamn Metaphorically...

For the love of all that is holy, FREAKIN SPY CHECK YOU IDIOTS!

Had a bad run today and had a bad run opening crates. 3 Strange shotguns in a row...

NEVER AGAIN WITH THE KEYS! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Strange shotguns can actually pull in a decent amount. I traded a strange shotgun for demo hat that was worth 3-4 refined, which I then traded for a sniper hat worth the same range.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MisterAnderson said:
WTF are bills and buds?
Bill is Bill's Hat, a hat you got in TF2 for Preordering Left 4 Dead 2 (Due to TF2 now being free to play, a few more bills hat that haven't been claimed, making them a tad more common)

90px-Backpack_Bill%27s_Hat.png

Buds are the Earbuds Misc item, you got them by playing the game on a Mac in the first few weeks when the Mac version came out.

90px-Backpack_Earbuds.png

250px-All_class_Earbuds.png

Both are all class items, so they are pretty sought after by people who don't have them.

Baha said:
Which spy weapon? If it was the big kill then you got lucky since that is actually worth a buds.

Your Eternal Reward, I think it's called. I wanted to get into Spy and it seemed like a cool weapon. Had no idea those headphones were "worth" anything, they were free for all the Mac users and they're just a white string on their chest. Don't know why people want it so bad.

Damnit. That's some shady shit for the trader to not even clue me in on how valuable they're worth.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tkawsome said:
Your Eternal Reward, I think it's called. I wanted to get into Spy and it seemed like a cool weapon. Had no idea those headphones were "worth" anything, they were free for all the Mac users and they're just a white string on their chest. Don't know why people want it so bad.

Damnit. That's some shady shit for the trader to not even clue me in on how valuable they're worth.
Yeah, if there is any weapon you want, just ask around the gaf server, you will be able to get anything for nearly free.

Forkball

Tkawsome said:

Welcome to the dark and terrifying world of high-level TF2 trading. I actually own Apple earbuds in real life and they probably aren't worth as much as TF2's virtual earbuds.

Sciz

Forkball said:
Welcome to the dark and terrifying world of high-level TF2 trading.
More than once I've had people track me down via Steam chat to try and talk me into trading away my Sam & Max set. They don't like hearing no for an answer.

AcciDante

Traded my golf club and mail box for that demoman golf hat, then I got a heavy cop hat for that. Not sure if that's a good trade in value, but I'm happy to get a hat instead of those weapons.

Can't remember what I traded for an Ol' Geezer (#198), but I'm glad to finally have an engy hat.

Traded my Towering Pillar and Tossle Cap for a Vintage Batter's Helm, then traded that to a friend who was looking for one for a V. Professional's Panama.

I've got my monthly trading fill now.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
119xl50.jpg

I wish this was possible all the time. Scout is such a troll.

I need one more Medic achievement to reach the last milestone and it's getting a little frustrating. They just don't seem plausible anymore outside a really lucky situation. Stuff like "Kill five with an ubered soldier" or "burn four with a pyro in one uber" never seem to register even though I've been focusing on those guys for what seems like hours. Then there's the "Intern" achievement which seems ridiculous. I just can't survive that long unless I'm hanging back, in which case I don't have anyone to heal.

Any tips? I really want to move onto another class but I'm so close to the milestone I don't want to quit.

Forkball said:
Welcome to the dark and terrifying world of high-level TF2 trading. I actually own Apple earbuds in real life and they probably aren't worth as much as TF2's virtual earbuds.

It's all good. They didn't look like much so I wasn't really going to use them. Sucks to learn I could have got more, but whatever.

Cipherr

Tkawsome said:
I need one more Medic achievement to reach the last milestone and it's getting a little frustrating. They just don't seem plausible anymore outside a really lucky situation. Stuff like "Kill five with an ubered soldier"

You got a kritzkrieg right? That one shouldnt be as difficult as it sounds providing you choose the map right. For example, as Red Team on Egypt_Map2 load up the uber to 100% before the map starts and get a soldier with anything BUT a direct hit (in this case you want the splash damage) and as the round starts uber him and have him go all out into the starting doors. He will get 5 or so pretty easily. And if he doesnt, kritz charges so fast, youll get another chance, but the difficulty ramps as soon as they take the first checkpoint, it wont be nearly as easy to do from the second checkpoint.

That and make sure your not ubering until you see the soldier reload to full. Since you dont get invulnerability, nothing worse than ubering him only to have him spend half the time reloading because he was empty, and the other half dead.

Playing as an Engineer is way more fun than I thought it would be in CTF. The only problem is that since I'm still learning the maps, I never know if/when/where I should place teleporters. It also really stinks when the entire team is out trying to get inside the base (with Snipers in tow, no less :| ) and I'm left to guard the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom