• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what would be cool the strange weapons and gear get special effects as you level them. That would be cool. Imagine mantreads have a constant flame on them adter xxxx kills.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Getting back into TF2 now, and I'm befuddled at the economy too.

Approximately what could I get for my Unusual Detective Noir (Green Confetti)? I keep getting offers but I'm not entirely sure what the most I could get out of it is. I realize Green Confetti is less valued compared to other unusuals, but I'm not sure how valuable it is relative to other items. Can anyone help me out?

Like some guy just linked me to his backpack, and I feel like nothing there I need, or anything that I even want outside of the Stockbrokers scarf. He's also offering me a Bills or Buds, which he'll supposedly buy. What's more valuable, bills or buds? And say if I was to take one of those + a Scarf, would that be a deal? At the same time, I'm not really sure what I *want* I just don't want to get ripped off.

Zomba13

enzo_gt said:

Approximately what could I get for my Unusual Detective Noir (Green Confetti)? I keep getting offers but I'm not entirely sure what the most I could get out of it is. I realize Green Confetti is less valued compared to other unusuals, but I'm not sure how valuable it is relative to other items. Can anyone help me out?

Like some guy just linked me to his backpack, and I feel like nothing there I need, or anything that I even want outside of the Stockbrokers scarf. He's also offering me a Bills or Buds, which he'll supposedly buy. What's more valuable, bills or buds? And say if I was to take one of those + a Scarf, would that be a deal? At the same time, I'm not really sure what I *want* I just don't want to get ripped off.
Well, I traded my Unusual for a Max head (It was a Trophy belt with ghost. So great effect, rubbish hat) I feel I could have got more if I really looked around but overall I'm happy with it.
Buds are worth more than Bills but I wouldn't trade your unusual for Buds. Or at least just one pair. I don't know much about trading though. If you really want a stockbrokers scarf I have a spare Vintage if you have anything nice to trade for it.

Technosteve said:
You know what would be cool the strange weapons and gear get special effects as you level them. That would be cool. Imagine mantreads have a constant flame on them adter xxxx kills.
That's what should happen after you get the last name for it. Special effects come into play and the more kills you get the better the special effect.

Just got a steel boot for the pyro lol. Odd hat but I'll take it.

DarkKyo

Okay so I've come into an extra pair of security shades for the heavy and I'm still desperately trying to find a Rogue's Col Roule. Looking to trade my shades for it. I'll even throw in an extra golf club! Any takers?

DarkKyo

Drkirby said:
If you give me the golf club, I will let you bask in the glory of my Rogue's Col Roule for a few minutes.
Uhh, what? So not interested in trading?

The Roule isn't that rare, I just need to find someone who has more than one and wants shades.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dechaios said:
Uhh, what? So not interested in trading?

The Roule isn't that rare, I just need to find someone who has more than one and wants shades.
It was a joke. Sadly, I don't want to trade it ether, sorry.

Gandie

I have owned this game for about 6 months, but never found the time or motivation to put a lot of time or effort into it. Last night I started playing at about 10 and had to force me to turn off my PC six hours later. Once you've found a good server it's one of the most fun games I have ever played.
I started playing as Medic, because I like it in other online FPS and the Übercharge-mechanic adds so much to the gameplay, a lot of fun.
Then I switched to Sniper and was surprised that I hit anything after being absent from PC gaming for about 6 years.
As I tried out more and more classes I started to understand the people who put 1000+ hours into this game. It oozes fun and variety.

If anyone wants to play with me and teach me more about the game feel free to do add on Steam: LeadGandalf1

DarkKyo

eravulgaris said:
So, any tips and tricks for new players? I've noticed that this game isn't that simple. :p
Personally, I think the best thing you can do is learn basic survival. You gotta know when to pull out of a battle or know the best way to escape certain enemies and projectiles. Start to really pay attention to where Engineers set their stuff up, and where med-packs are found on the map. Overtime you'll learn how to do more and more damage during a life, but for now just focus on testing your limits in battle and knowing how to gtfo before you get killed by random damage.

Chinner

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
:lol i'm in the same boat targe and sword
i humilated myself last night on gaf server unboxxing them, i've lost all my street cred and even coolio and gaborn are cooler than me now :(

Yay, I got a chance to play last night! Got some new hats (although one was a duplicate). Took a while to get onto the server, and I was a little rusty, but I had some good rounds as spy and got a lot of backstabs (broke my records for backstabs and damage as spy). Hope I can get the summer camp achievement before the sale ends, but so few of the maps have water on them...

cooljeanius said:
Yay, I got a chance to play last night! Got some new hats (although one was a duplicate). Took a while to get onto the server, and I was a little rusty, but I had some good rounds as spy and got a lot of backstabs (broke my records for backstabs and damage as spy). Hope I can get the summer camp achievement before the sale ends, but so few of the maps have water on them...
What is the summer camp achievement?

thefil

What's the best TF2 trading website? Now that I have two hats for some classes hats I want to trade and get something for the others.

DarkKyo

thefil said:
What's the best TF2 trading website? Now that I have two hats for some classes hats I want to trade and get something for the others.
My favorite is tf2tp.com but it has been down all morning :/

Proven

Got a strange GRU and a strange Rocket Launcher. Willing to trade either for a strange Shotgun.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Goddamn Metaphorically...

For the love of all that is holy, FREAKIN SPY CHECK YOU IDIOTS!

Had a bad run today and had a bad run opening crates. 3 Strange shotguns in a row...

NEVER AGAIN WITH THE KEYS! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then trade with me dammit!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
eravulgaris said:
So, any tips and tricks for new players? I've noticed that this game isn't that simple. :p

1. Learn the map.
2. Watch your team.
3. Learn to bump and shoot your teammates to spycheck.
4. If there's nobody around, look up and behind you several times.
5. Try not to take on more than 2 people.
6. Flank and attack from behind as much as possible.
7. Learn when to back out (especially important since I see n00bs always going into the middle of a battlefield alone and WAY overextended)

* Let people know you're new. This way, when I yell at you, I won't yell at you for being an idiot. I'll yell at you for being an idiot, and then I'll tell you what to do.

* For advanced players, it's really about 5 and 7. This is NOT a game against idiot AI computer opponents. There are people like icanonlyplaydemotime and .jerkoffdude88 who can fuck you up since they have above average aim, positioning, and dodging skills.

* This isn't a 'frag the most to win' type of game (except arena maps). This is a time-based game. Anything you can do to make the other team take longer to do things like get to the battlefield or heal is helping your team regardless of score.

For example

- You're about to die because 4 opponents are coming your way; try to kill the medic.
- The other team keeps attacking from one area cause there's a teleporter; change to spy and take the teleporter out.
- Your team wiped the other team out and you're pushing the cart/capturing the point. Try to have only 4 "captures" on the point/cart and the rest should move on to the next point to harass the other team coming out of spawn (nobody does this it seems...)
- Your team lost the first capture point. Don't necessarily build up on the last point if you're engie. This is a huge mistake for engineers. You need to try to build 'along the way' and force them to fight for every inch of ground. I'll never understand why people only build around cap points. You should be building in good areas to make them waste time.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Proven said:
Got a strange GRU and a strange Rocket Launcher. Willing to trade either for a strange Shotgun.

Then trade with me dammit!

Traded my shottys away except for one

Now I have

Strange Direct Hit
Strange Shotgun
Strange Sword
Strange Targe

FML

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
3 Strange Shotguns in a row?

jPTQw.jpg

Welcome to the party, pal!

And where were all you people with strange rocket launchers before? :\

Guys...

Guys...

What the fuck did they do to the crafting system?

How do I make it not cancer?

This is actually taking me like 5 times longer to do the same shit I was doing before, kudos valve.

DarkKyo

TouchMyBox said:
Guys...

Guys...

What the fuck did they do to the crafting system?

How do I make it not cancer?

This is actually taking me like 5 times longer to do the same shit I was doing before, kudos valve.

That's the one thing they really screwed up on...

Dechaios said:
That's the one thing they really screwed up on...

It makes so paranoid that I'm going to craft my vintage items, and it takes you back to your first page of items for every single item you select.

Seriously?

Goon Boon

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
It makes so paranoid that I'm going to craft my vintage items, and it takes you back to your first page of items for every single item you select.

Seriously?
Some guy actually crafted their unusual because of the new crafting system, so always be sure to double check.

Yeef

It always crafts using the items closest to the front of your backpack. If you keep your valuable stuff on the later pages and the crafting interface is so much better and faster than the old method.

Kuro Madoushi said:
1. Learn the map.
2. Watch your team.
3. Learn to bump and shoot your teammates to spycheck.
4. If there's nobody around, look up and behind you several times.
5. Try not to take on more than 2 people.
6. Flank and attack from behind as much as possible.
7. Learn when to back out (especially important since I see n00bs always going into the middle of a battlefield alone and WAY overextended)

* Let people know you're new. This way, when I yell at you, I won't yell at you for being an idiot. I'll yell at you for being an idiot, and then I'll tell you what to do.

* For advanced players, it's really about 5 and 7. This is NOT a game against idiot AI computer opponents. There are people like icanonlyplaydemotime and .jerkoffdude88 who can fuck you up since they have above average aim, positioning, and dodging skills.

* This isn't a 'frag the most to win' type of game (except arena maps). This is a time-based game. Anything you can do to make the other team take longer to do things like get to the battlefield or heal is helping your team regardless of score.

For example

- You're about to die because 4 opponents are coming your way; try to kill the medic.
- The other team keeps attacking from one area cause there's a teleporter; change to spy and take the teleporter out.
- Your team wiped the other team out and you're pushing the cart/capturing the point. Try to have only 4 "captures" on the point/cart and the rest should move on to the next point to harass the other team coming out of spawn (nobody does this it seems...)
- Your team lost the first capture point. Don't necessarily build up on the last point if you're engie. This is a huge mistake for engineers. You need to try to build 'along the way' and force them to fight for every inch of ground. I'll never understand why people only build around cap points. You should be building in good areas to make them waste time.

Thanks, that's very helpful! Yes, I've noticed that I should just take my time and that rushing is a bad idea.

commissar

the only reason the old crafting interface wasn't the best it could be was because the shortened backpack window didn't match to the backpack.
So even if things were ordered in a way which made sense toyou, the crafting window would break it.

This new set up is awful, unintuitive and a lot slower to use

Dechaios said:
I must be on some fluke roll because I just stumbled into my second unusual in the same day!

G8B8b.jpg

Smelly Heavy lol
you're still getting drops? I haven't gotten a drop since Thursday. lol. or are you trading for that stuff?

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:
you're still getting drops? I haven't gotten a drop since Thursday. lol. or are you trading for that stuff?
Someone wanted sight for sore eyes + buds + a couple other things I didnt really need for this.. that's not too bad for an unusual! My only buds but I was only saving them for an unusual trade anyways. I also haven't been getting drops for a few days now but unusuals don't drop anyways.
Orellio said:
what the fuck
Last night I won a mini-game forum lottery on the steam forums and got green confetti engineer unusual for free.. that was super god damn lucky.

Oreoleo

Do you even get unusuals in drops? I thought they were only in crates.

Dechaios said:
Last night I won a mini-game forum lottery on the steam forums and got green confetti engineer unusual for free.. that was super god damn lucky.

21MC

XeroSauce

enzo_gt said:

This issue with your hat is that it's a great hat with a shittt effect. People will usually offer for your hat only to resell it so they can make a profit, so that's why you get some lowball offers.

Buds + Bills isn't bad, since it's always nice to have a good stock of Buds, but considering that it's a confetti + a Christmas hat (there's a lot of Christmas hat unusuals floating around because of the free key thing), you're lucky that you're even getting offers. Try to push for as much as you can, the worst they can say is no.

Baha

enzo_gt said:

Asked an admin at the unusual server I sometimes go to, he said 1.5-2 buds. 1.5 (buds + bills) being the minimum and 2 buds being your selling price. The fetti effect is considered the lowest effect and there are 20 (maybe more) detective noirs with green fetti in the wild. Hope that helps.

Oh cool, a F2P player thanked me for giving him a quick fix by buying a key and then giving me the prof specs (by saying I helped him) and a big earner (as a thank you for the QF). He wanted to give me the key, but it took 2 days to trade.

Thanks random dude.

It pays to be nice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom