• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

I think the arena maps definitely should be on the server (spaced out, of course). With the two round limit the matches wouldn't last too long so people who don't like Arena wouldn't be bothered too much.

Boonoo

Yeef said:
I think the arena maps definitely should be on the server (spaced out, of course). With the two round limit the matches wouldn't last too long so people who don't like Arena wouldn't be bothered too much.

They should at least be 3, since the first round will only have a few fast loading people in it.

Twig

Banned
I'm all for adding arena to the mix.

And I'd LOVE some custom maps but... well, we all know that's not gonna happen. ):

Anyway, I came up with a pseudo-rotation. A quick five minute job. 2fort is first because I'm devious. :3

ctf_2fort
cp_dustbowl
plr_pipeline
koth_sawmill
cp_junction_final
pl_goldrush
cp_granary
ctf_sawmill
cp_egypt_final
pl_badwater
cp_badlands
ctf_doublecross
koth_nucleus
plr_hightower
cp_coldfront
cp_fastlane
pl_hoodoo_final
ctf_well
koth_viaduct
pl_thundermountain
cp_gravelpit
cp_yukon_final
ctf_turbine
pl_upward
koth_harvest_final
cp_well
cp_steel
tc_hydro
cp_freight_final1
cp_gorge

The bolded are the maps that the majority DOESN'T hate. I think they're spaced evenly enough, relative to their specific "popularity", huh? The italicized are the maps the majority DOES hate, but I think they're still fun to play every now and then.

(Keep in mind when I say "majority" and "minority" I am talking about the people who actually vocalize their opinions. I'm sure most people aren't nearly as emotionally involved in what maps they play. U:)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
They should at least be 3, since the first round will only have a few fast loading people in it.
I find it odd that while my computer is crap, I am one of these fast loading people. Maybe its due to me spending 3 whole days a few months back Defraging my PC with a bunch of different program till there was no fragmentation :lol

And Twig, swap CTF Sawmill and Well. Don't forget the list will loop back, meaning CTF Sawmill is still only 6 maps away from KOTH Sawmill. Other then that, looks good IMO.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
I find it odd that while my computer is crap, I am one of these fast loading people. Maybe its due to me spending 3 whole days a few months back Defraging my PC with a bunch of different program till there was no fragmentation :lol

And Twig, swap CTF Sawmill and Well. Don't forget the list will loop back, meaning CTF Sawmill is still only 6 maps away from KOTH Sawmill. Other then that, looks good IMO.
Good point. Fixed!

I think maybe there should be less space between dustbowl/goldrush and goldrush/badwater, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
Good point. Fixed!

I think maybe there should be less space between dustbowl/goldrush and goldrush/badwater, though.
Yeah, maybe putting them closer would keep Gaffers on the server longer and we don't end up with tons of random people instead.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
Yeah, maybe putting them closer would keep Gaffers on the server longer and we don't end up with tons of random people instead.
I fiddled again. Also made all the CTF more evenly spaced, maybe to the detriment of other map types.

People hate CTF. U:

OMG Aero

Does anyone have a Backburner they want to trade? I'm not bothered if it's vintage or not as long as it's craftable so I can give the degreaser a go.
Edit: Never mind I got one

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Gaf server tonight... :lol :lol

I don't know how this happens. Also, I like how the map changes before it can scramble.

Stallion Free said:
Is it a coincidence that you guys lost every game to 2pro? I THINK NOT!

(from other thread)
Stallion Free said:
Fuck team scramble/auto team balance, it always splits up me and my buddies.

:lol

Stallion, Nabs, Zero, and Jenga on the same team? It's almost as if people from the normal Left 4 Dead 2 group are on the same team and working well together! ;p Mix it up a bit if you don't like crushing people. Java's one of the few people who will actually switch teams and try to help the losing team. Of course, the downside of that is he loses lots of maps as a result.

Yes, I have seen the same group of people lose, but I just wanted to point out that you were on the same team. :p It's fun for you, but mixing it up can make it funner (in theory) for everyone!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm only good when we play together and the only way I have fun is if I work with people who can work well as a team. It is called Team Fortress after all.

Zero and I are a pretty ridiculous Heavy+Medic combo. I know he has my back and can hold his own.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I'm only good when we play together and the only way I have fun is if I work with people who can work well as a team. It is called Team Fortress after all.

Zero and I are a pretty ridiculous Heavy+Medic combo. I know he has my back and can hold his own.
It is called Team Fortress 2, but part of that is working with/around people who may not be as good on your team. The server has been around for several months, and there are some people who are very good. If you had none of them on your team, I'm sorry, but I feel like there are at least some decent team players in the server normally. If you only have fun when playing on the same team as a particular (especially competitive) group of people, that's not too cool. That's the sort of thing clans do sometimes when they try to join and only end up on one side. If 2-3 of them are really good, I feel like it can hurt the server since people who do nothing but get crushed on the other side leave. Plus, our server often does goofy stuff aside from the occasional OMGDRAMA.

At any rate, there are lots of other servers if you don't like our settings. :/

Blizzard:

ifc4cy.png

your reign of superior mobility is over.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
It is called Team Fortress 2, but part of that is working with/around people who may not be as good on your team. The server has been around for several months, and there are some people who are very good. If you had none of them on your team, I'm sorry, but I feel like there are at least some decent team players in the server normally. If you only have fun when playing on the same team as a particular (especially competitive) group of people, that's not too cool. That's the sort of thing clans do sometimes when they try to join and only end up on one side. If 2-3 of them are really good, I feel like it can hurt the server since people who do nothing but get crushed on the other side leave. Plus, our server often does goofy stuff aside from the occasional OMGDRAMA.

At any rate, there are lots of other servers if you don't like our settings. :/
Lol we never got never got scrambled. It was just fine for us last night. I have no complaints about the server. But screw you for those times you have scrambled us. It's not our fault the other team wasn't rolling with heavy+medic combos/bothering to do some decent defense. It's not that hard to beat us, all you have to do is work with your own team instead of bitching about it.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Lol we never got never got scrambled. It was just fine for us last night. I have no complaints about the server. But screw you for those times you have scrambled us. It's not our fault the other team wasn't rolling with heavy+medic combos/bothering to do some decent defense. It's not that hard to beat us, all you have to do is work with your own team instead of bitching about it.
?

Exactly which times have I scrambled you? I recall a while back, I scrambled once at the start of a new map, AFTER people voted yes to scramble. I figured doing it after people picked teams would be the best time, since there is no map progress, and if people were trying to stack it might have a shot at hitting them. I might have even done two votes that time, but I could be wrong. I believe I may have scrambled one or two other times, again after people voted yes to scramble vote. The idea of scrambling is to thwart people stacking teams with the people they want on that team, and if you're upset, it would seem that it worked. If you have any example of me scrambling when people did not vote for it, I apologize, and please bring them up!

Also, at least one of those times, perhaps the one you were mad at, someone PMed me on Steam after the scramble, and personally thanked me for mixing up you/vert/whoever were playing at the time. :/ So, I'm not sure if your opinion is in the minority, but everyone is certainly welcome to speak up. I try not to abuse admin, and I rarely even do commands anymore besides moving people to spectator if they're afk.

MicVlaD said:
Blizzard:

your reign of superior mobility is over.
I got them too! :lol The new Best Thing Ever is to see a likely spy chasing you, and know that if you put the gloves on, he can simply not catch you.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
?

Exactly which times have I scrambled you? I recall a while back, I scrambled once at the start of a new map, AFTER people voted yes to scramble. I might have even done two votes that time, but I could be wrong. I believe I may have scrambled one or two other times, again after people voted yes to scramble vote. The idea of scrambling is to thwart people stacking teams with the people they want on that team, and if you're upset, it would seem that it worked. If you have any example of me scrambling when people did not vote for it, I apologize, and please bring them up!
You purposely scrambled using your mod powers once when there were like 7 of us on a team. I think it was because you were made about us not using ingame chat because we were all in mumble.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Stallion Free said:

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
You purposely scrambled using your mod powers once when there were like 7 of us on a team. I think it was because you were made about us not using ingame chat because we were all in mumble.
Did I call a scramble vote first? If so, did it succeed? Also, I think that was the specific time that someone thanked me via Steam PM after the scramble.

Also, regarding using external chat, that makes it even worse. Normally, the server is set up as an alltalk server (and therefore somewhat inherently casual). If a group tries to stack one team, and then coordinates OUTSIDE the game, not only can everyone else not talk to them, but they also have an advantage since no one can hear what they say or see what they type. You might say that people should just get better and join Mumble, but then they would be at the mercy of the Mumble server owner, plus it's hard to get everyone to coordinate and use a server (especially a random one).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Did I call a scramble vote first? If so, did it succeed? Also, I think that was the specific time that someone thanked me via Steam PM after the scramble.
There was no vote to scramble you just did it.

Also, regarding using external chat, that makes it even worse. Normally, the server is set up as an alltalk server (and therefore somewhat inherently casual). If a group tries to stack one team, and then coordinates OUTSIDE the game, not only can everyone else not talk to them, but they also have an advantage since no one can hear what they say or see what they type. You might say that people should just get better and join Mumble, but then they would be at the mercy of the Mumble server owner, plus it's hard to get everyone to coordinate and use a server (especially a random one).
Sure have all talk ingame is fun and casual, but it's kind of counter-intuitive to team play....and this is a team game.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
There was no vote to scramble you just did it.

Sure have all talk ingame is fun and casual, but it's kind of counter-intuitive to team play....and this is a team game.
Well, I thought I did a scramble vote near the end of the previous map which succeeded, I then scrambled the next map, and someone thanked me for it. If not, I apologize, and I will make sure I do a vote first.

And yes, alltalk is counterintuitive to competitive team play. That's why the hightower tournament doesn't use it, and that's why our server normally uses it. It's a casual/fun server, and it's fun to have alltalk as a disadvantage/hear the other team's reactions when you kill them/talk to friends on the other team. :) Java, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since it's your server.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That is such a bullshit excuse.

We all (the regulars, that is (well, most of us)) know how to work as a team. I understand wanting to play with your friends, because I feel the same way, but to say that you're ONLY GOOD with your friends is fucking stupid.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dude, I get it, all-talk is fun, but I don't see why you are so against people are using mics to actually coordinate in a game.

Twig said:
That is such a bullshit excuse.

We all (the regulars, that is (well, most of us)) know how to work as a team. I understand wanting to play with your friends, because I feel the same way, but to say that you're ONLY GOOD with your friends is fucking stupid.
Is that like a compliment to my skill level?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gah, I lost my place on the server because I windowed out on accident and it wouldn't restore. I'm playing in a window from now on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dice said:
Gah, I lost my place on the server because I windowed out on accident and it wouldn't restore. I'm playing in a window from now on.
-noborder

Also when I can go 28:1 as Heavy, or get 7 dominations as demo (albeit on dustbowl) then teams are a bit uneven.

What's our team name again?

Risible

I've never played on the GAF server (hope to rectify that this week when I get home from my trip), but I can tell you as a casual player nothing will make me switch faster than unbalanced teams that don't get scrambled at some point.

I don't mind being the whipping boy for a few matches, but usually after two, maybe three, I'll say adios and go to another server.

corn_fest

Stallion Free said:
I see the GAF server as a casual, alltalk server, and that's why I (and I assume many others) play on it. I have no desire to play against a highly competitive clan chatting in mumble that rages when they can't stack their team.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alright so let me get this straight.

Working with your teammates and speaking to them to aid working together in a team based multiplayer game automatically makes it highly competitive. Huh. Well fuck, I guess Zero can no longer heal me.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Dude, I get it, all-talk is fun, but I don't see why you are so against people are using mics to actually coordinate in a game.
I only did that once, and again, I thought I was thanked for that time and thought I almost always called votes first. :/ Mostly I was just pointing out it was an additional advantage an outside group joining a server has, even if it's a minor advantage.

Also, if I'm playing medic (or people using Mumble are playing medic) the one thing that I REALLY want to know is whether they can hear me ingame. If they can at least answer in text chat that no, they have everyone muted and are only using Mumble, I'll know that I can uber someone else who will be able to hear me if I try to coordinate. I'm not meaning to be rude, just saying that I like to know who I shouldn't try to coordinate with. :)

Risible said:
I've never played on the GAF server (hope to rectify that this week when I get home from my trip), but I can tell you as a casual player nothing will make me switch faster than unbalanced teams that don't get scrambled at some point.

I don't mind being the whipping boy for a few matches, but usually after two, maybe three, I'll say adios and go to another server.
Thanks for the example. I would say that our server does get a lot of unbalanced matches, but there are also good ones. Java is really good about trying to help underdog teams, I've tried to do it occasionally, and often when games are unbalanced, it's because good people are playing casually or playing off-classes for fun.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Nobody is against this. It's just boring when you have half the server being quiet-ass motherfuckers and you know they have mics but they're too elitist to come down to our level oh lordy lord!!
Is that like a compliment to my skill level?
What? You're the one who said you're only good when you're on the same team as your friends, not me. All I'm saying is that your assumption that none of US know how to work as a team is bullshit.

And you know this, so I don't know why you would imply otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: I'm obviously exaggerating with the elitist comment, but I know you like to take me 100% seriously, so I feel I should point this out.

corn_fest said:
I see the GAF server as a casual, alltalk server, and that's why I (and I assume many others) play on it. I have no desire to play against a highly competitive clan chatting in mumble that rages when they can't stack their team.
Same here. I'm only there to play with GAF. I don't see what's wrong with talking to the whole server.

Blizzard

Banned
Apparently the rocket jumper has a glitch right now where if you do the equalizer tauntkill, you won't take any damage but can presumably still kill enemies. :D

Twig

Banned
Just to be clear: "2pro" is not a clan. They're just a group of friends who regularly play L4D versus together. As for "highly competitive", I doubt that's really true either. Though there's no doubt that some of them (STALLION!!!!!!!!!) like to troll people when they do well.

At least that's my understanding. And I have no problem with any of that. U:

My only problem is that it's boring for the rest of us. ):

I got a crate. I bought a key. I opened the crate!

Gunslinger. Just, a Gunslinger.

At least I bought a present, the Rocket Jumper (which is kind of a weird parallel to the Gunboats, there's going to be some scary Rocket Jump ninjas with this), and got a Mann Co. hat. And it's weird seeing so many people running around in baseball caps/trucker hats.

Blizzard

Banned
Ultimatum said:
can he actually not play? or just dislikes it?

not really a map I like, but oh well
I'm just not a fan of it, or 5-point capture maps in general (coldfront is probably my favorite of those). Twig was just being silly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kulock said:
I got a crate. I bought a key. I opened the crate!

Gunslinger. Just, a Gunslinger.

At least I bought a present, the Rocket Jumper (which is kind of a weird parallel to the Gunboats, there's going to be some scary Rocket Jump ninjas with this), and got a Mann Co. hat. And it's weird seeing so many people running around in baseball caps/trucker hats.
I never thought of that, you could use the Rocket Jumper as a useful item combined with the shot gun o_O

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
I never thought of that, you could use the Rocket Jumper as a useful item combined with the shot gun o_O

You'd be much better situated just using gunboats and getting an overheal before you set out.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
I actually was doing that the night the patch released and was doing a lot better than I normally do with soldier. It was a lot of fun.

Of course it helped that the server was only half full and half of the enemies were croc-snipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom