• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Well, I thought I did a scramble vote near the end of the previous map which succeeded, I then scrambled the next map, and someone thanked me for it. If not, I apologize, and I will make sure I do a vote first.

And yes, alltalk is counterintuitive to competitive team play. That's why the hightower tournament doesn't use it, and that's why our server normally uses it. It's a casual/fun server, and it's fun to have alltalk as a disadvantage/hear the other team's reactions when you kill them/talk to friends on the other team. :) Java, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since it's your server.

I don't know the details since I wasn't there, but as a general rule I'll scramble the crap out of the server if people are stacking teams. Thats another reason why I use a 2 round limit. On total steam rolls, the map will be over soon leading to a new mix of teams. If the same people join the same teams over and over you can bet I'll shuffle, probably without a vote. I'd rather deal with a couple of butt hurt people than have game after game a total blowout.

Twig

Banned
I don't like scrambling even if I'm losing horribly. U:

BUT JAVA DID YOU SEE THE NEW ROTATION

Twig said:
I'm all for adding arena to the mix.

And I'd LOVE some custom maps but... well, we all know that's not gonna happen. ):

Anyway, I came up with a pseudo-rotation. A quick five minute job. 2fort is first because I'm devious. :3

ctf_2fort
cp_dustbowl
plr_pipeline
koth_sawmill
cp_junction_final
pl_goldrush
cp_granary
ctf_sawmill
cp_egypt_final
pl_badwater
cp_badlands
ctf_doublecross
koth_nucleus
plr_hightower
cp_coldfront
cp_fastlane
pl_hoodoo_final
ctf_well
koth_viaduct
pl_thundermountain
cp_gravelpit
cp_yukon_final
ctf_turbine
pl_upward
koth_harvest_final
cp_well
cp_steel
tc_hydro
cp_freight_final1
cp_gorge

The bolded are the maps that the majority DOESN'T hate. I think they're spaced evenly enough, relative to their specific "popularity", huh? The italicized are the maps the majority DOES hate, but I think they're still fun to play every now and then.

(Keep in mind when I say "majority" and "minority" I am talking about the people who actually vocalize their opinions. I'm sure most people aren't nearly as emotionally involved in what maps they play. U:)

Javaman

Twig said:
I don't like scrambling even if I'm losing horribly. U:

BUT JAVA DID YOU SEE THE NEW ROTATION

Yeah, I didn't see it until just now. I'll put it on tomorrow morning. (Sciz could also do it tonight if you get ahold of him) Just need to change the mapcycle.txt file.

Yeef

evlcookie said:
The new sniper rifle doesn't seem to do much damage does it? It's just urine and a small hit.
It does the same damage as the normal rifle, but just doesn't crit on headshots. It does, however, do random crits unlike the normal rifle. It also shoots through people so you can hit more than one person in a single shot (though that's probably a bug that will likely be patched out). It's much better than the regular rifle for people who have awful aim (like me).

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know if the heavy achievement for killing people carrying your intel is glitched? I was 7/8 before tonight, but I did it several times and only got one achievement point for it.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Does anyone know if the heavy achievement for killing people carrying your intel is glitched? I was 7/8 before tonight, but I did it several times and only got one achievement point for it.
I'm wondering the same thing for the "kill medics with your bonesaw" achievement. Before the reduction I had 18 kills. Now the achievement shows 18/10 for me, but hasn't actually awarded me the achievement. I figured I'd just need to play a life as medic, but that didn't do it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Yeef said:
It does the same damage as the normal rifle, but just doesn't crit on headshots. It does, however, do random crits unlike the normal rifle. It also shoots through people so you can hit more than one person in a single shot (though that's probably a bug that will likely be patched out). It's much better than the regular rifle for people who have awful aim (like me).

I am missing the headshots that i usually do with the normal rifle, it's really annoying. I sit there going waiting for a headshot then go, oh wait i can't heatshot with this :lol

The blackbox isn't bad. I'm a small fan of it now. About to try the new dagger, see how much i can fail with it.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I'm wondering the same thing for the "kill medics with your bonesaw" achievement. Before the reduction I had 18 kills. Now the achievement shows 18/10 for me, but hasn't actually awarded me the achievement. I figured I'd just need to play a life as medic, but that didn't do it.
You may be screwed then...I was in the same situation with the heavy and the underwater kill achievement, but once they reduced it, it gave it to me instantly (or ingame or whatever). Of course, the medic one might just be bugged and they may fix it.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
You may be screwed then...I was in the same situation with the heavy and the underwater kill achievement, but once they reduced it, it gave it to me instantly (or ingame or whatever). Of course, the medic one might just be bugged and they may fix it.
I'm going to try getting another bonesaw kill. If that doesn't work then I probably am screwed.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Crate!

No i'm not going to spend $2.50 on your shitty key valve to open it. Will hold onto it for when they stop being stupid and allow me to craft / find a key.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a crate, buff banner, dead ringer, natascha, and scottish resistance.

What I really want is one of those fancy looking guns and knives for the spy. I don't really care what they do, they're cool.

I also have a backburner, but after roasting two heavies, a medic and a scout in a span of about 5 seconds, I think I like it.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So this might be kinda out there as a trading request but does anyone want to trade bill's hat?

demo_bill_sized.png

You can look at my backpack

I think i'd trade just about anything for it (within reason). Even OSX earbuds.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
I can do it, just upgrade me to Admin <(^_^)b

It's more than admin on the server, it's admin on the gameservers gamepage. I'm at work now so I can't access it. Bliz, you've got access too don't you?

ecnal

still have an extra ushanka that i'm willing to trade for a hat.

i saw your post speedpop, not interested in that hat for soldier, but thanks.

Volcynika

Javaman said:
It's more than admin on the server, it's admin on the gameservers gamepage. I'm at work now so I can't access it. Bliz, you've got access too don't you?

Java you're supposed to be able to do anything. All mighty!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Must not be nice.

Blizzard we have to use Mumble because in-game mic is dominted by Nobs. I don't think there is a span of more than 5 seconds that passes without him saying something. Sorry bro :(

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Must not be nice.

Blizzard we have to use Mumble because in-game mic is dominted by Nobs. I don't think there is a span of more than 5 seconds that passes without him saying something. Sorry bro :(
What does this mean? You said it like twice, and asked me if I was trying. :lol

And if you don't like hearing n0b, you can just mute him using the local mute button. I believe I have done it before for him and Twig.

Boonoo

There's actually a great trick for using mumble and tf2 chat at the same time. My team uses this when we're messing around in lobbies.

You set your mumble button and tf2 voice button to the same key then you just mute the other mumble people in game!

It works surprisingly well. It's a little extra work, but I've gotten great results out of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
And if you don't like hearing n0b, you can just mute him using the local mute button. I believe I have done it before for him and Twig.
:lol But then everyone who didn't have him muted would here me talking at the same time as him.

Javaman

Stallion Free said:
Must not be nice.

We just broke him out of his turtle shell and you want to scare him back in? He'll calm down eventually. :lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gully State said:
I need to play more maps. Half of the ones on the Gaf server rotation, I have no clue where the heck I'm going...
There are a lot of maps to remember, but the most helpful thing for me is keeping an eye out for the arrows in your team color. Or go in the opposite direction of the arrows that are the opposing teams color.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Well obviously. If I was better than him I would get some mic time. Duh.
Aw, you're allowed to talk too!

I think I saw the mic thingy flash once with your name but I was busy crying over a failstab so I didn't hear what you said. ):

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
There are a lot of maps to remember, but the most helpful thing for me is keeping an eye out for the arrows in your team color. Or go in the opposite direction of the arrows that are the opposing teams color.
I kept making a wrong turn at Yukon and going in circles :/

Twig

Banned
ps i FINALLY

GOT

DIE ANOTHER WAY

that stupid thing has been taunting me forever because every time i would go for it some dickbird would show up out of nowhere and ruin my chances

now i never have to stupidly stab another razorback ever again

Stallion Free said:

I'm just going to play follow the heavy for awhile. Was thinking about switching to a more offensive class but I didn't want to be useless while learning the map.

That Koth harvest match was pretty awesome...back and forth until the very end with both teams at double zero

Nob...This should be your calling card...

mass_effect_2___elcor_jb49.jpg

Twig

Banned
Gully State said:
That Koth harvest match was pretty awesome...back and forth until the very end with both teams at double zero
That's why I like KOTH. That kind of back and forth dynamic, but without a (sometimes extreme) change in environment, like in CP.

And even if one team is getting rolled, it only lasts, what, 7 minutes total on a 2 round limit?

Twig said:
That's why I like KOTH. That kind of back and forth dynamic, but without a (sometimes extreme) change in environment, like in CP.

And even if one team is getting rolled, it only lasts, what, 7 minutes total on a 2 round limit?

True...I take it payload isn't popular on the GAF server?

n0b said:
If you want me to stop talking all you have to do is start talking.

Elcor are my favorite part of the Mass Effect series. :D

haha.. no problems with you on the mic.....just the ressemblance is uncanny...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gully State said:
True...I take it payload isn't popular on the GAF server?
:lol Payload is the most popular mode, the only reason it doesn't show up as much is due to us changing Map Vote to Rotation recently.

Yasae

Banned
Dice said:
Yes, not everyone is so serious about the match results of their entertainment. It's like the mindset you enter Mario Kart with. Winning is technically the goal, but you just aren't serious like with other racers, there is much else to be enjoyed there. You can have that mindset with many games, and some people prefer it.

A question can be valid with a silly attitude. This...
...is exaggeration and demonstrated ignorance of gamepad controls and/or lack of grace with them. Same thing every time, always played up as shock, horror, or disgust. To anyone who has effectively used a gamepad before it just comes off as being a baby who never learned to walk. It comes off as the words of a quitter who never worked to be better because it hurt their pride to not immediately do as well as they did on mouse & keyboard.

I don't go looking to pick a fight with people who have this view of gamepads, I've just gotten tired of hearing the same crap every time I mention one (which I only do to find other people who do in order to set it up, as I did here) so I thought I'd speak my mind for once. I'm not giving people a general label of being bitches--I'm sure they man-up plenty in various aspects of gaming--I'm just saying that such is their attitude toward gamepads.
You should play with high ping. Then you'll really learn not to care.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone have any tips on heavy? I know I was constantly complaining about Micvlad and hoping he would start failing, but seriously. We had a couple of times where there would be a situation like me out of spawn, alone, knowing he was there around a corner. He had no corner, only a little med bottle (not sure if he had enough time for a sandwich), and I -thought- I made sure to spin my gun up early. Despite that, he killed both me and another heavy fresh out of spawn behind me, shortly after, and may have had 25-50% health left.

I try to jump around corners for mobility, and I use the dot crosshair to have a better idea where to aim, and I try to make sure I aim well enough to get lots of bullets into the enemy when possible...but it still seems like he just had so much more damage output even without crits. He had 119ish lag while I guess we had 40-60, if that makes a difference. Are there any special tips besides just aiming pointblank and firing first?

Darn it you guys, I had stuff I wanted to do today... instead I just stayed inside and played TF2 all day. I'm kinda ashamed of myself. Anyway, I got another crate to trade, so if anyone wants it, let me know.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
cooljeanius said:
Darn it you guys, I had stuff I wanted to do today... instead I just stayed inside and played TF2 all day. I'm kinda ashamed of myself. Anyway, I got another crate to trade, so if anyone wants it, let me know.
i'll trade ya a vintage item for it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Don't show off good items from the crates, you are making me want to get more keys!

At least they are tradeable hats.

corn_fest

Drkirby said:
Don't show off good items from the crates, you are making me want to get more keys!

At least they are tradeable hats.
Yeah, when I got the key, I figured it was a waste of $2.50.
But it worked out :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom