• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I want is a goddamn Attendant hat. It will take forevvvveeerrrrrr to craft with that much metal. And I am not buying one for 5 bucks! Why do the sets have to give such cool bonuses if they are relatively hard to get because of hats :(

I apologize for yet another trading post, but I just looted a spare Strange Rocket Launcher.

I also have a Strange Eyelander, a Copper's Hard Top, Tam O' Shanter, Rogue's Col Roule, and Prairie Heel Biters. I have other random stuff as well if you need any of the newer weapons or anything like that as I have a couple of spare ones.

What I'm mainly looking for is the Strange Sticky Launcher and Strange Minigun.

I'd also like the Strange Direct Hit, but the others are my main priority. I'm thinking a good trade would be the Strange Rocket Launcher for the Sticky Launcher?

Aegus

Been playing TF2 religiously since I got my new PC (played it loads back in 2007/2008). Loving the pyro class and the airblast ability is now on all the flamers. I also found out that my skills haven't diminished at all.

Airblasting a crit missile and killing two people is one of those 'feelsgoodman.gif' moments.

V_Arnold

Alright, help me out here , gentlemen.

I bought TF2 as a part of Orange box years, years ago. Played a bit, but my pc was too weak to be able to play it properly. Upgraded pc, and it ran fine now, but I did not like that every server I got into was some ukraine/russian-talking +50% speed-ed bullshit where there was no sense of "clearness", just mess, mess, mess.

Now, flash forward, it seems to have got DOZENS of updates. I was a serious CS player before, so I am not braindead, but my main "competitve" games will continue to be SFIV/StarCraft II. Should I install this? Will I be in a different environment compared to what I was greeted with 3-4 years ago? Will I be able to found servers without dozens of additional mods, superspeed and instantkills?

In answer to your final questions, you can easily find servers which aren't saddled with ridiculous mods, speed increases etc.

The game is a different one from the one that was initially released.

Each characters have an enormous arsenal of weapons as well the introduction of all cosmetic items.

But, its still TF2 and pretty much 90% of the stock weapons are far better than the new ones that have been released.

DarkKyo

Heavy's Sandvich said:
In answer to your final questions, you can easily find servers which aren't saddled with ridiculous mods, speed increases etc.

The game is a different one from the one that was initially released.

Each characters have an enormous arsenal of weapons as well the introduction of all cosmetic items.

But, its still TF2 and pretty much 90% of the stock weapons are far better than the new ones that have been released.
Nah that's not true. Generally weapons aren't "better" than one another or else the game wouldn't be balanced. The alternate weapons are there so you can find your own preferences and playstyle, simple as that.

Are you about to tell me that the Minigun is "better" than the Tomislav?
Or that the Flamethrower is "better" than the Degreaser?
What about the Bonesaw compared to Ubersaw?
Scattergun compared to Force-a-nature?
Normal wrench "better" than Southern Hospitality?
And don't you dare try to say that the normal fireaxe for Pyro is "better" than the Axetinguisher.

You get my point; a lot of the added weapons give perks and qualities that the original weapons just fall short of. The vanilla loadout is no longer the superior loadout and I really don't think it ever was.

Blizzard

Banned
Dechaios said:
Nah that's not true. Generally weapons aren't "better" than one another or else the game wouldn't be balanced. The alternate weapons are there so you can find your own preferences and playstyle, simple as that.

And don't you dare try to say that the normal fireaxe for Pyro is "better" than the Axetinguisher.

You get my point; a lot of the added weapons give perks and qualities that the original weapons just fall short of. The vanilla loadout is no longer the superior loadout and I really don't think it ever was.
I think most people would suggest that the normal scattergun is better than the FAN, and normal wrench maybe better than southern hospitality due to more damage (maybe, I forget if there is a no-crit effect or something) and getting toasted by pyros if any are around.

The ubersaw, axetinguisher, and equalizer are pretty much pure upgrades to the original weapons. The tomislav is good but I switch to the minigun sometimes since the nerf when I actually need to do better damage.

So, you're left with 3-4 weapons that are purely better than the new weapons...notice how the other poster said "90%", not "100%"? :p I don't have the math for the total number of weapons, but if say, 6 new weapons are better than the vanilla version, there could still be 54 other non-vanilla weapons that aren't better, and the 90% figure would still be correct.

Yeef

Scattergun is much better than the Force-a-Nature. The shortstop is the only one that really gives the scattergun a run for its money. It's got higher DPS, but it's harder to aim because it has fewer pellets. It's EXCELLENT for taking out teleporters though.

Pirabear

Banned
So very recently I've been having a problem with TF2/Steam constantly crashing. TF2 runs perfectly fine when I'm actually playing, but whenever I try to quit, the game crashes and freezes so bad, I can't even Force Quit and have to hard shutdown. Tried just logging into Steam this morning (no game playing) for about 10 minutes and then logout, Steam crashes from that too and I have to Force Quit. It was running just fine about a week ago.

On a Macbook Pro and don't have anything usually running w/Steam besides an already loaded page on Chrome if that helps.

DarkKyo

Blizzard said:
I think most people would suggest that the normal scattergun is better than the FAN, and normal wrench maybe better than southern hospitality due to more damage (maybe, I forget if there is a no-crit effect or something) and getting toasted by pyros if any are around.

The ubersaw, axetinguisher, and equalizer are pretty much pure upgrades to the original weapons. The tomislav is good but I switch to the minigun sometimes since the nerf when I actually need to do better damage.

So, you're left with 3-4 weapons that are purely better than the new weapons...notice how the other poster said "90%", not "100%"? :p I don't have the math for the total number of weapons, but if say, 6 new weapons are better than the vanilla version, there could still be 54 other non-vanilla weapons that aren't better, and the 90% figure would still be correct.
Okay so I didn't name EVERY amazing weapon that's not the vanilla ones - you're missing my point. The 90% is still way, way off. Demoman is really the only class where I prefer to use the original weapons(except melee). Every other class almost begs to use weapons that aren't vanilla simply because their vanilla weapons are bland or featureless. Wouldn't that be somewhere around 11% since that's 1/9 of all the classes?

Are there any client-side mods which let you easily switch between preset class loadouts? I.e., more easily switch between demoman/demoknight, or different spy types?

Blizzard

Banned
HL2.exe crashes every time I try to exit it, without exception. It started in the last month or two I think.

Dechaios said:
Okay so I didn't name EVERY amazing weapon that's not the vanilla ones - you're missing my point. The 90% is still way, way off. Demoman is really the only class where I prefer to use the original weapons(except melee). Every other class almost begs to use weapons that aren't vanilla simply because their vanilla weapons are bland or featureless. Wouldn't that be somewhere around 11% since that's 1/9 of all the classes?
The original person just said that they thought 90% of the original weapons were far better. We can argue over whether they are "far" better, and I agree that new weapons are fun or interesting, but I think the vanilla loadouts are typically better. I almost prefer this over something like BC2 where you have to gain levels or spend game time just to be able to repair as an engineer, or heal someone as a medic -- if you don't have the upgrades you ARE at a disadvantage as far as I can tell.

Oh, I like jarate and bushwhacka over SMG, you can add that to your list. Huntsman, however, is a great example of something that is quite fun to use and adds variety to the game, yet the original sniper rifle in the hands of a good sniper is presumably, objectively, better.

We can compromise and say that 0% of the original loadouts are better, or maybe 37%.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I don't find most of the vanilla weapons boring. Well, except for the usual melee weapons. I still switch between the regular flamethrower and the backburner pretty regularly, and default Spy loadout is how I roll.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The_Technomancer said:
I don't find most of the vanilla weapons boring. Well, except for the usual melee weapons. I still switch between the regular flamethrower and the backburner pretty regularly, and default Spy loadout is how I roll.
Default spy is best spy. I will never use the normal flamethrower again though, unless I get stuck with default loadout. If I want damage, I get Backburner, if I want Utility, I use Degreaser. The normal flame thrower isn't bad, but the two others are much better at their job.

Really, the Degreaser likely needs an even greater damage nerf, but since the Pyro isn't a class people call OP anymore, it likely won't be changed. I do wonder what that new Leaf Blower Flame Thrower will do that is rumored to be coming in a patch soon.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:

I usually do half-vanilla/half-new weapons on most of my loadouts. When the F2P players start departing the servers, I'll probably switch back to a vanilla Engineer/Spy/Demo. Until then, the Dead Ringer/Big Earner will reign supreme.

DarkKyo

Drkirby said:
Default spy is best spy. I will never use the normal flamethrower again though, unless I get stuck with default loadout. If I want damage, I get Backburner, if I want Utility, I use Degreaser. The normal flame thrower isn't bad, but the two others are much better at their job.

Really, the Degreaser likely needs an even greater damage nerf, but since the Pyro isn't a class people call OP anymore, it likely won't be changed. I do wonder what that new Leaf Blower Flame Thrower will do that is rumored to be coming in a patch soon.

I like default watch but I will never switch back from Your Eternal Reward + Enforcer. Nevar!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I tend to play Spy as the "Annoy the hell out of the engineer class", so I need to be able to disguise. If their in no Engineer, I usually won't play Spy.

DarkKyo

Drkirby said:
I tend to play Spy as the "Annoy the hell out of the engineer class", so I need to be able to disguise. If their in no Engineer, I usually won't play Spy.
Really? I love annoying the engineers too! Enforcer will knock down a teleporter pretty quickly(such high damage) and a good spy who uses Your Eternal Reward will never not be in disguise except for right after spawn. I think the combo is perfect for engie rage.

Grinchy

Banned
Drkirby said:
Wow, I just can't seem to do very well with the invisiwatch anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to switch back, and I find myself uncloaked in a corner somewhere because I forgot I didn't have the cloak and dagger on me.

And I totally agree about the flamethrower. I can't believe how awful the default one is for me anymore. I'm not really much of a pyro, but even in pubs I was finding that I could pop out of a corner, start burning 3 people, and they would kill me and keep running forward. The fire would go out, and I had done almost no damage (despite the fact that the "play a sound for every hit" option made it sound like I hit 5 jackpots in Vegas).

The only weapons that are undeniably better are melee weapons, because melee weapons were already boring and used in rare situations before unlocks. Notice what nearly every weapon example listed was.

The Pyro's flamethrowers are the odd men out in this situation, and that sorta stems back to how the Pyro is a very odd class.

And yeah, post-patch the Minigun is much better than the Tomislav and the Scattergun has always been so much better than the POS FAN that it's not funny.

Grinchy

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
The only weapons that are undeniably better are melee weapons, because melee weapons were already boring and used in rare situations before unlocks. Notice what nearly every weapon you listed was.

That's probably true, but I do like the axetinguisher and the Sniper's melee that does a full crit after using jarate.

DarkKyo

This debate could go on forever. I just think that all the classes have a lot of very viable options for their loadouts that aren't the vanilla weapons. I've played way too many hours of TF2 in my life to think otherwise.

Viable does not mean optimal, so we agree, less effective gimmick loadouts can be viable in certain situations even if they aren't the best one you could be using.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Grinchy said:
Wow, I just can't seem to do very well with the invisiwatch anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to switch back, and I find myself uncloaked in a corner somewhere because I forgot I didn't have the cloak and dagger on me.

And I totally agree about the flamethrower. I can't believe how awful the default one is for me anymore. I'm not really much of a pyro, but even in pubs I was finding that I could pop out of a corner, start burning 3 people, and they would kill me and keep running forward. The fire would go out, and I had done almost no damage (despite the fact that the "play a sound for every hit" option made it sound like I hit 5 jackpots in Vegas).
Cloak and Dagger is awful, you move so slowly. You just need to learn the ammo locations, and you can normally travail the entire map in 20 or 30 seconds.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
The only weapons that are undeniably better are melee weapons, because melee weapons were already boring and used in rare situations before unlocks. Notice what nearly every weapon example listed was.

The only melee weapon that I think still holds its mustard is the original Scout bat. The Candy Cane is close, though.

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:
Viable does not mean optimal, so we agree, less effective gimmick loadouts can be viable in certain situations even if they aren't the best one you could be using.
:|
You have opinions. I do not share them.

Fox318

What is it with People and Default Spy? Enforcer, Kunai, and Dead Ringer has been my favorite setup as of late. It's so easy to get behind enemy lines and the health boost from the Kunai helps out a ton when dealing with Pyros.

Yeef

ahoyhoy said:
The only melee weapon that I think still holds its mustard is the original Scout bat. The Candy Cane is close, though.
Nope. Atomizer beats out the bat for utility and the Boston Basher beats it out for both damage and utility.

Yeef

Fox318 said:
Fan of War can be great with teamwork.
Even without teamwork Fan of War is great even without teamwork. it makes the scattergun that much more deadly. I like pretty much every scout melee except the sun on a stick and the candy cane. Sun-on-a-Stick is rarely ever useful unless you pocket a pyro. Cany Cane would be better if it just healed you when you got a kill. Too many times I've been fighting two people, kill one then the other picks up the health. Also, I don't like being 1-shotted by explosives.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Nope. Atomizer beats out the bat for utility and the Boston Basher beats it out for both damage and utility.
Candy Cane > all so far for me, but I have to get deeper into the Sandman.

Honestly, this is an endless discussion :) It's just one of those few games where every weapon has a right to exist, and none is really "overpowered". At least I haven't noticed one so far, I'm only playing this game for a few months now.

Clydefrog

JackEtc said:
I never use that "Press F5 to save this moment" feature until today.

OH GOD (click for big)

http://i.imgur.com/Hq4ecl.jpg

Wow, those are some strong needles!

The_Technomancer said:
If there is luck, my brother has it.

He has opened a grand total of ten crates.

He has gotten two unusuals.

One was a Madam Dixie with Circling TF2 logo that he just gave me

The other was the ultra-rare hat that he traded for 18 buds.

Your brother is worse than Hitler.

Also, Borgnine talking about little boys really creeped me out.

Blizzard

Banned
fallengorn said:
You'd have to out-do Blizzard. Playing with him is like playing with a real-life Francis. :p
I hate hospitals, I tell you what...

#1 on the server, and #1 at complaining. Someone had better link me to that stat/award page so I can see what else I'm awesome at! ;p

MisterAnderson said:
Yeah I was the one constantly bitching on the mic that the BLU Medic was impossible for me to snipe. So annoying how he kept teleporting and rubberbanding everywhere lol.
Don't hate my awesomeness. It breaks games naturally.

I will soon begin charging a subscription fee so that you may have access to my awesomeness on a regular basis.

(._.)

Banned
Dechaios said:

He is actually right. I wouldn't say 90% but deffintiely half the weapons added to the game so far are useless. Several of the vanilla weapons are much better than the added ones. Just about every vanilla load out is superior to any of the sets added. I find myself with usually two vanilla weapons and then one added weapon when it comes to my load out. Some of the added weapons are upgrades. You are right though, most of the added weapons are there to mix things up and add a different play style even if it is lacking compared to the former.

And yes ...

Flamethrower > Degreaser

SCAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FAN (lol why did you list this one? everybody knows scat is better than FAN ~_~)

Southern Hospitality > vanilla wrench (you are right here).

All the added pyro melee weapons are all better than the normal one. We are talking melee
here though. Most of the melee weapons that were added later are better than the vanilla melee weapons. Melee weapons aren't your main weapon though.

I wouldn't say 90% of the added weapons are useless but it definitely is more than half. There is always 2/3 decent weapons when they update a couple classes.

DarkKyo

I still say Degreaser >>>>>>>>>> Flamethrower

Degreaser + Axetinguisher allows me to kill heavies with ease as pyro. There is no faster and stealthier way to kill as a pyro than this combo.

(._.)

Banned
Dechaios said:
I still say Degreaser >>>>>>>>>> Flamethrower

Degreaser + Axetinguisher allows me to kill heavies with ease as pyro. There is no faster and stealthier way to kill as a pyro than this combo.
I actually take back what I said and will agree with you when it comes to the Degreaser. I'm a purist when it comes to pyro. Probably because I've been hating on the backburner since I started playing TF2 (will always be a pos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom