• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
There is a class of games that improve markedly as time goes on due to constant attention from the developer (or, in the case of heavily modded games like some Bethesda titles, the modding community). These are often among the best values in games; the buy-in price decreases as the game ages but, like wine, the game itself keeps improving.

So far as the independent marketers- game journalists- serve the function of introducing potential buyers to games they might want to purchase, the traditional approach of "reviewing" a game at or very near release obscures the kind of "fine wine" game I mention above, like TF2. It's nice to see a publication like Eurogamer relax its usual rules about flogging only the new games market and offer a look at a game that has been in the process of evolving steadily for four years now. Not that Valve needs the press; I guess I feel that it's useful to remind the gamers who read such publications that there may be better ways to spend your money and your gaming time than perpetually pining for brand-new games with the highest prices and, far too often, least polish.

thefil

Just read the re-review at Eurogamer. They pretty much hit on everything I love about the game. Hopefully the attention keeps new players coming.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
derFeef said:
Good review, but I did take a bit of objection to:
You could argue that drops should reflect the class you're playing, occur more frequently, or crafting should require fewer raw materials. To do so misses the point that these items, especially the crates that can't be opened without paying, are teases. You take your chances or you pay up, and if you pay up then the game's that little bit more fun. Since when was paying for fun a bad thing?

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
How can they ever make a TF3 that will make TF2 players happy? I can't imagine that it's possible.

They probably won't ever come up with a TF3 while TF2 is still played by thousands. Some graphic updates, new items, maps, etc will surely happen, but a new game will only happen if its big brother goes down..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I could see a TF3 that was run concurrently with TF2. Different graphical style, same nine classes but heavily tweaked and other gameplay changes.

sixghost

The_Technomancer said:
Good review, but I did take a bit of objection to:
I think that was sentence was framed in the perspective of a new player. When I started, I didn't really want to buy anything since I wasn't sure I was going to stick with the game, or if I would even like the weapon, so it was kind of annoying to keep getting drops for other classes when all I really wanted was pyro stuff. It ended up taking me something like 5-6 days to get the degreaser and axetinguisher.

I guess you could argue that the achievement milestone drops function in this way, but it can be kind of hard to get to the later ones.

Grinchy

Banned
Does every server feel janky to anyone else today? No matter where I go, no matter what the pings say, movements are randomly choppy and teleporty (yep, that's an adjective now). Someone will appear in front of me and get a kill, yet they have a 40 ping and me a 20.

fallengorn said:
You mean bunny hopping? Yeah, I don't really do that. I don't know when that started to catch on for soldiers, but I never picked up on it.

You get a better angle to splash enemies if you shoot your rockets at the top of a jump.

SteveWinwood said:
Yeah its the pyro one. I don't know, one scrap. Or a crit-a-cola or candy cane if you got one laying around.

I'm down for that.

JackEtc

My friend unboxed a crate for me last night, got my first strange, a Strange Conniver's Kunai. I had always used the standard knife playing Spy (never got any in drops, even though Spy is one of my mains), and I LOVE it. Already have 77 kills on it.

JackEtc said:
My friend unboxed a crate for me last night, got my first strange, a Strange Conniver's Kunai. I had always used the standard knife playing Spy (never got any in drops, even though Spy is one of my mains), and I LOVE it. Already have 77 kills on it.

I got a strange scatter gun last night, swapped it for a strange flamethrower as I don't play scout.

I've now got:
Strange Flamethrower,
Strange Grenade Launcher with about 300 kills
Strange Eyelander
Strange Shotgun with 20 kills.

I'd rather have a strange sticky launcher than the eyelander or shotgun because I main Demo and Pyro.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Kuro Madoushi said:
Easier to stab and snipe :D
Yeah that's true. Although, I think I get stabbed by Metaphorically 8/10 while just going to the front line. :\

MisterAnderson said:
You get a better angle to splash enemies if you shoot your rockets at the top of a jump.
I''m sure there's plenty of situations where it's helpful, but I think most of the time, whatever angle you eke out from hopping is negligible.

Yeef

I feel obligated to get a strange scattergun even though I don't really want one. What I do want is a strange pistol and a strange kunai.

fallengorn said:
You mean bunny hopping? Yeah, I don't really do that. I don't know when that started to catch on for soldiers, but I never picked up on it.
Keep not doing it please. It makes hitting you with reflects so much easier. :D

Fox318

JackEtc said:
If you know how to use the dead ringer the Kunai is deadly.

(._.)

Banned
Goon Boon said:
Some russian tried to scam me lol. Had enough chip gem shaco scam attempts on Diablo 2 to know this was off.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/79894646465

DO NOT TRADE WITH THIS PERSON.
Why are there so many Russian scams? goddamn communists! I've been going through the black listed members on all the TF2 trading sites and most of them are from Russia including the most notorious scam artists. Most people who get scammed though didn't use common sense. There is some really notorious Russian kid who is like 14 and has scammed like 7 of the most valuable unusuals in the game .

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
I finally found some Mantreads!

too bad they're such garbage and even broken on top of being garbage
It's so nice of you to offer to give them to me, then! I can give you an item in exchange, to take them off your hands. Surely you wouldn't want to keep such a broken weapon. You should play heavy instead.

Zomba13

Traded my Vivid Exquisite Rack for A Ghosts Stainless Pot which I've been told by people on Unusual Trade servers was a good deal for me. I just like the ghosts. Kinda miss the big glow from the antlers though.

I want to try and trade out of Soldier. I want a Pyro Unusual. That or an Unusual Samur-eye for demo lol.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Hell I just want an unusual :p

On another note, Anyone want a strange pain train for something? (A reclaimed or two even?)

derFeef

Phew.

33dab96e.jpg

I know, not that much considering I saw a soldier with more than 1000 kills on the third day after the update. But it is a start.

derFeef said:
Phew.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gaf/33dab96e.jpg[/IM]

I know, not that much considering I saw a soldier with more than 1000 kills on the third day after the update. But it is a start.[/QUOTE]
Congtats. that's a lot of blood spilled.

JackEtc

Fox318 said:
If you know how to use the dead ringer the Kunai is deadly.
Oh snap, Dead Ringer is usually my main watch, but I've been using the Cloak and Dagger with the Kunai! I've been doing it all wrong! Any tips for Kunai + Dead Ringer use, or just use it like a regular Dead Ringer?

Really would like to get the Eternal Reward though, preferably a strange (love the idea of leveling them). I'm hoping to get one out of a crate. I've never had one, and I'd like to try it out.

desh

Anyone interested in a practically new Razer Lachesis Mouse? I bought it a few days ago, tried it out, but didn't like it. I'm asking $30 for it. PM me if you're interested.

Here is a link and a description of the mouse:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WU35JQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

4000dpi 3G Laser sensor, which enables movement speeds of 5 times that of a standard 800dpi optical sensor
32KB onboard memory, you can store up to five unique gaming profiles
Allows up to 9 programmable button functions while Razer’s Hyperesponse technology reduces latency for optimum gameplay
4000dpi Razer Precision 3G Laser™ sensor
32KB Razer Synapse™ onboard memory

Zomba13

thefil said:
How many keys could I get for an unusual hat?

Buckaroo with Green Confetti, that is.

I just really like opening crates.
At least 9 I think
Buds are worth 9 keys and that hat is at least 1 bud (at least)

Clydefrog

Waited half an hour to join the GAF server. No one freakin' left. Anyways, I was playing on a different server while waiting and ended up finding some wee booties. wee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom