• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudeworld

MarkMclovin said:
Blimey! So people mostly do this when they go to work then I gather?

I'm creating an alt account just for this then. 30hrs in and I still haven't got any decent shit.
just remember that you can't simply create another account and get to work. You need to purchase something from the Mann co store in order to actually trade. A simple F2P account cannot give items in a trade, it can only receive them.

PWDMK.png

I knew this day would come :D

mojiimbo said:
How many crates did you go through before you got it?

Overall I've probably bought 13 keys?
I just set up a third account and bought 2 keys, trade over 2 series 25 crates so I could get some Pyro Strange items and uncrated it with the second key.

Need to work out how much its worth and get me a demo/pyro unusual.

Weenerz

Banned
Probably going to get 4 more premium accounts tonight, and buy Sandboxie so I can run them all at the same time for idling purposes. That'll make it so I have 7 accounts, I can't wait for the metal :O

yeoz

This is probably a good time to bring this up: for those of you doing textmode idling, can you try adding -nomouse to your idling command line? It's reduced the cpu usage of my tf2 idlers, but, I can't tell if thats because of my particular setup or not, and I would be interested to see if that does anything for other people or not. (Though it might not be noticeable for people running just one idler. a 100 mhz drop isn't a lot unless you're running quite a few idlers concurrently...)

edit: And for the curious, my full command line for tf2:
Code:
-dev -width 640 -height 4 -minmemory -nomouse -noipx -novid -nosound -nopreload -nopreloadmodels -sw -textmode +connect <myidleserver>:27015

DarkKyo

Sourtreats said:
Overall I've probably bought 13 keys?
I just set up a third account and bought 2 keys, trade over 2 series 25 crates so I could get some Pyro Strange items and uncrated it with the second key.

Need to work out how much its worth and get me a demo/pyro unusual.
Lol you've only bought 13 keys.. you made it sound like you've been doing this forever with no luck.

I've probably bought somewhere around 50-60 keys in my TF2 career and never unboxed one :/

Dechaios said:
Lol you've only bought 13 keys.. you made it sound like you've been doing this forever with no luck.

I've probably bought somewhere around 50-60 keys in my TF2 career and never unboxed one :/

Ouch, I guess I'm extremely lucky.

The bad side is I have no idea what unusual's are worth. So I can't tell who is lowballing me and who isn't.

DarkKyo

Sourtreats said:
Ouch, I guess I'm extremely lucky.

The bad side is I have no idea what unusual's are worth. So I can't tell who is lowballing me and who isn't.
Run any offer by us and I'm sure we can be of some assistance.

dudeworld said:
just remember that you can't simply create another account and get to work. You need to purchase something from the Mann co store in order to actually trade. A simple F2P account cannot give items in a trade, it can only receive them.

OK good to know thanks.

So I just tried idleing and was kicked from the server after a few minutes, I assume for not moving.

What type of server am I looking for to idle in then?

dudeworld

MarkMclovin said:
OK good to know thanks.

So I just tried idleing and was kicked from the server after a few minutes, I assume for not moving.

idle servers. The maps usually go by something like "achievement_idle" in the server browser

Dechaios said:
Run any offer by us and I'm sure we can be of some assistance.

I will do. The only offer I've had so far is Buds + 2 Keys, but I can sit tight. According to TF2BPs unusual search its the only one in existence. But confetti doesn't have much love.

MarkMclovin said:
OK good to know thanks.

You want servers that are running the map "Achievement_Idle"

Mafro

MarkMclovin said:
OK good to know thanks.

From the TF2 Wiki:
How to text-mode idle:

1. Right click on your desktop and create a new shortcut.

2. Type in "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"

3. Save your file.

4. Open the file.
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Idling#How_to_text-mode_idle

If you use 64-bit Windows then you need to change the first part to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam"

Ceebs

MarkMclovin said:
OK good to know thanks.

If you are looking to just idle for items do not bother with idle servers. That is the old method. All the cool kids use text mode idling now.

(this is for Windows btw no clue what you do for macs)

1. Go make a new shortcut to the steam exe (put it where ever you want it does not matter)

2. Right click the shortcut and select properties

3. In the target field make it say this: (obviously substituting the "D:\Steam\Steam.exe" portion for the location you have Steam installed to.

Code:
D:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 440 -novid -textmode  -nosound -nopreload  -sw +map"ctf_2fort"

4. Hit Ok/Apply.

5. Now when you want to idle just click that shortcut. A command prompt style window will show up and a bunch of text will fly by. At the end it should say

VAC secure mode is activated
then list the map info
No Pure server whitelist. sv_pure = 0
(Steam name) Connected

And that's it. It takes up less system resources this way and prevents you from tracking down a free spot in an idle server

edit: and my overly verbose instructions were beaten...

DarkKyo

Sourtreats said:
I will do. The only offer I've had so far is Buds + 2 Keys, but I can sit tight. According to TF2BPs unusual search its the only one in existence. But confetti doesn't have much love.
Confetti is kind of lame but don't let that get you down.

My first unusual was a confetti as well. I got another really low tier unusual after that and traded both away for a super nice unusual(green energy demo fro) which I used to trade for/obtain one of my favorite unusuals out there! So either trade it for components or use it to trade up at some point. My advice is to be patient like you are right now and wait for a good offer or until you get some other good items that you can add to your current unusual in deals to start trading up to better unusuals.

So while confetti may be lame it is still an unusual and you are already doing better than a lot of long-term players who don't have their first unusual yet.

Edit: As for the deal he offered you, thats not too bad but you'd probably be better off waiting for offers that are inevitably better. Like you said that's the only unusual with that hat/effect combo so it's rare. You'll get better offers than the one you got.

Edit 2: Some further advice would be to lurk the official Steam users board. Go into the TF2->Trading board and check here and there for people looking for low tier unusuals.

Also maybe list your unusual at sourceop.com forums and see what people offer there.

I assume you've already put it up on tf2tp.com

Ceebs said:
edit: and my overly verbose instructions were beaten...

Ha ha yeah, thanks anyway! I'm text idleing now. Do you get notified in the cmd box when you do get an item, or do they popup when I next log in properly?

EDIT - Also, does it matter what map you use? I'm currently using 'itemtest'.

MarkMclovin said:
Ha ha yeah, thanks anyway! I'm text idleing now. Do you get notified in the cmd box when you do get an item, or do they popup when I next log in properly?

Itemtest seems to work. And you won't get a notification, but you can use a third-party backpack viewer to check it out. I.e., my alt account that I just set up earlier today:

http://www.tf2items.com/id/somecatter

He just found me a razorback (hooray).

Ceebs

MarkMclovin said:

Nah it does not really matter.

Go here and load up your backpack while text idling. New drops that you have not gotten in game will show up with a red background at the top.

www.tf2b.com

edit: I am really slow today.

Dechaios said:
Confetti is kind of lame but don't let that get you down.

My first unusual was a confetti as well. I got another really low tier unusual after that and traded both away for a super nice unusual(green energy demo fro) which I used to trade for/obtain one of my favorite unusuals out there! So either trade it for components or use it to trade up at some point. My advice is to be patient like you are right now and wait for a good offer or until you get some other good items that you can add to your current unusual in deals to start trading up to better unusuals.

So while confetti may be lame it is still an unusual and you are already doing better than a lot of long-term players who don't have their first unusual yet.

Edit: As for the deal he offered you, thats not too bad but you'd probably be better off waiting for offers that are inevitably better. Like you said that's the only unusual with that hat/effect combo so it's rare. You'll get better offers than the one you got.

Edit 2: Some further advice would be to lurk the official Steam users board. Go into the TF2->Trading board and check here and there for people looking for low tier unusuals.

Also maybe list your unusual at sourceop.com forums and see what people offer there.

I assume you've already put it up on tf2tp.com

That's pretty much what I'm doing. I've got it on TF2BP and made an offer to a guy for 4 buds (No halm in trying).

I've kept off SPUF for a while but I'll probably use it tomorrow if I've had no luck.

I was thinking get a buds for it, then use the remaining buds to buy a low tier demo/pyro hat.

Cheers for the useful advice.

yeoz

Ceebs said:
If you are looking to just idle for items do not bother with idle servers. That is the old method. All the cool kids use text mode idling now.
[snip]
And that's it. It takes up less system resources this way and prevents you from tracking down a free spot in an idle server
This is not necessarily true. If you are running multiple idlers at once you could be wasting resources doing this. Each individual local listen server is going to take up more cpu/memory combined than just connecting to an idle server (that you are presumably also running locally, so you wouldn't need to worry about slots). I can run 14+ idlers connecting to an idle server locally, versus about ~9 idlers if each one were loading a map themselves.

Of course, if you"re just running a single idler at a time, by all means definitely just load a map locally.

Ceebs

yeoz said:
This is not necessarily true. If you are running multiple idlers at once you could be wasting resources doing this. Each individual local listen server is going to take up more cpu/memory combined than just connecting to an idle server (that you are presumably also running locally, so you wouldn't need to worry about slots). I can run 14+ idlers connecting to an idle server locally, versus about ~9 idlers if each one were loading a map themselves.

Of course, if you"re just running a single idler at a time, by all means definitely just load a map locally.
I think your insane 30 account setup is going to be the exception for a lot of people. ;)

On TF2TP I see all this stuff about the level of the Hat/item.

What is the significance of the level on an item? How do I raise the level? Can you?

I SO CONFUSE

Pookaki said:
On TF2TP I see all this stuff about the level of the Hat/item.

What is the significance of the level on an item? How do I raise the level? Can you?

I SO CONFUSE

Item levels are just a cosmetic thing. Ignore them, the number is only valued in the eye of the beholder. There is no difference between a level 100 Ten gallon hat and a level 32 ten gallon hat. Same applies to weapon levels, as well as item qualities.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I keep getting told that my Target is invalid for text idling, even though I made sure the path to Steam was correct.

EDIT: Was missing the space between Files and (x86)

EDIT2: I'm not getting the terminal window when I click it though

Anyone see anything wrong with this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"

KarmaCow

So I guess I'm late to the party about this but the Detonator is a straight upgrade/replacement for the Flaregun? That's odd, I thought it only minicrit on burning targets.

Ceebs

The_Technomancer said:
I keep getting told that my Target is invalid for text idling, even though I made sure the path to Steam was correct.

EDIT: Was missing the space between Files and (x86)

EDIT2: I'm not getting the terminal window when I click it though

Anyone see anything wrong with this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch440 -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest"
space between applaunch and 440

yeoz said:

They start off at about 700mb usage for each text-idle instance, they eventually shrink to about 320-250mb each, they can peak at 500mb though... with 6GB+ it should give enough headroom for 10 or so. Their CPU usage sits at the 1-5% range (each) so CPU isn't an issue after they have all booted and connected.

Sourtreats said:
My idle server is password protected, what do I do when I connect to it via Textidle?

Here's something to alleviate the idling question surplus in this thread. Advanced Mann-Conomy: How to idle with multiple accounts

Now lets get back to trading, lol.

Acerac

Banned
evlcookie said:
I've been idling for 9 hrs and i haven't got a single drop since the reset.

The game hates me.
This happened to me last week. This week I tried playing the accounts in question for a bit (til 1 or 2 drops came) before idling, and this solved the problem as I'm back to tons of drops on all my accounts.

derFeef

Man the qucikfix is fun, I just had a proper match using it. But I was getting a lot of hate for using it (even if our team won).

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm so weak.

GAF, help me pick which crate to open: the #23, #24, or #25?
You can give it to me, I will open them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom