• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I think the game hates me. I uninstalled it and re-downloaded it last night to try and fix some missing texture issues. I'm still missing the snow textures! Maybe it's a driver issue, That's the only thing i can think of after a getting it again.

Still no drops. Let's see what the morning brings now that i'm idling. I'm going to go with nothing.

So I haven't had much luck with the crates. So far I've managed to get the following stranges:

• Direct Hit
  • Eyelander
  • Ambassador
  • Chargin' Targe

Ideally I'd like to end up with a strange Rocket Launcher, Minigun, and/or Knife. What sort of trade potential do you guys think I have here.

Baha

divisionbyzorro said:
So I haven't had much luck with the crates. So far I've managed to get the following stranges:

• Direct Hit
  • Eyelander
  • Ambassador
  • Chargin' Targe

Ideally I'd like to end up with a strange Rocket Launcher, Minigun, and/or Knife. What sort of trade potential do you guys think I have here.

The ambassador has great trading potential, the eyelander and direct hit aren't too shabby and your targe is gonna be a hard sell unless you find a collector. Try trading your strange ambassador 1:1 for a strange knife or strange rocket launcher or even a strange mini gun first and see how that goes.

yeoz

So, the backpack size on a f2p account is 50, but, it seems you can get 2 or so drops over that limit.
What happens on a f2p account whenever you get a drop once you hit the backpack limit is shown in this screenshot.
So, everytime you get a drop as a f2p account, and you are over 50 items, you get that annoying popup.
If you choose not to discard anything so that you can't get any drops -- you are instead prompted every time you start tf2.

This seems to make for the most annoying nag screen ever designed.

Baha

yeoz said:
So, the backpack size on a f2p account is 50, but, it seems you can get 2 or so drops over that limit.
What happens on a f2p account whenever you get a drop once you hit the backpack limit is shown in this screenshot.
So, everytime you get a drop as a f2p account, and you are over 50 items, you get that annoying popup.
If you choose not to discard anything so that you can't get any drops -- you are instead prompted every time you start tf2.

This seems to make for the most annoying nag screen ever designed.

Well if this is someone playing f2p on a legitimate steam account (i.e. not for idling purposes) why don't they just spend 50 cents on the Mann co. Store and upgrade to premium? They could easily add $5 and buy some game on sale for less and use the change to upgrade their account. Anyways, maybe Valve will upgrade f2p backpacks to 100 in the future but for now, upgrading a tf2 account for new players is cheaper than tf2 ever was on sale.

Anony

let's try this again

my backpack

C00800A4335A0223AF65C2739089C72C5F908240

14CF9738D2A9F5BB2C9C265FF4B0F8473B270DB3

everything up to and not including page 2's last line is up for (and all of page 3's crates) trade
(dont ask me to trade for the paints unless u have something good to offer that is not metal)
looking for scrap for each weapon
uncommon weapons like mad milk, crit-a-cola, shortstop, etc, looking preferably more than a scrap, a reclaimed or something *would* be nice, but a scrap is fine

page 3 of backpack, have loads of old, nondropping crates for free, but again, would be nice if i got anything for it (but crates)
lots of new crates too
(if you're opening them on the spot, that would be nice too, i'd like to see what the crates contained)

add me i guess, but i still say it's easier to just be on the neogaf server and do the trade there

yeoz

Baha said:
Well if this is someone playing f2p on a legitimate steam account (i.e. not for idling purposes) why don't they just spend 50 cents on the Mann co. Store and upgrade to premium? They could easily add $5 and buy some game on sale for less and use the change to upgrade their account. Anyways, maybe Valve will upgrade f2p backpacks to 100 in the future but for now, upgrading a tf2 account for new players is cheaper than tf2 ever was on sale.
Oh definitely. I do think it's a bit of a hard sell though. I don't like the idea of people being basically forced to upgrade just to get rid of an annoying nag screen that happens every time you get a drop.
Also, being forced to figure out if you want to keep or discard something after dying and getting a drop in the middle of a game is probably not very fair to a f2p player either who has perhaps no idea if a drop they just got is useful or not.

Baha

yeoz said:
Oh definitely. I do think it's a bit of a hard sell though. I don't like the idea of people being basically forced to upgrade just to get rid of an annoying nag screen that happens every time you get a drop.

I think that by the time a f2p player hits that cap, they'll have played enough to decide whether they should keep playing and upgrade or live with the limitations or stop playing.

@Anony: Is that a strange knife on page 2?

yeoz said:
Also, being forced to figure out if you want to keep or discard something after dying and getting a drop in the middle of a game is probably not very fair to a f2p player either who has perhaps no idea if a drop they just got is useful or not.
dude whats the point of having a f2p idler account if you can't make use of ti's drops via trading them from the alt?
undu said:
I'd like to have a set of biters.

I'm the one with the freaky blue guy avatar.
gotcha! nice trading with ya! Summer Crate Items GAF-Sale Inventory Updated! Grab them before they are gone!

Cuban Legend said:
Summer Crate items/hats all 33% off their lowest estimated price at the Special GAF-Sale Price of 1 Refined each:
2x Prarie Heel Biters
2x Security Shades
SOLD OUT Copper's Hard Top
1x Big Steel Jaw of Summer Fun
1x Stately Steel Toe

Anony said:
uncommon weapons like mad milk, crit-a-cola, shortstop, etc, looking preferably more than a scrap, a reclaimed or something *would* be nice, but a scrap is fine

Since when are mad milks and shortstops uncommon? A reclaimed for a mad milk? What a crazy world.

Yeef

wartime1020 said:
Since when are mad milks and shortstops uncommon? A reclaimed for a mad milk? What a crazy world.
Considering that a reclaimed + jarate crafts a mad milk anyway at that point I'd rather just craft it out of spite!

yeoz

Just to repeat today the same thing I did yesterday, I'm willing to trade anything from this backpack for one scrap or any non-crate item I don't already have in that backpack.
Send a trade request directly to http://steamcommunity.com/id/ye0z
I'll likely be doing this every weekend from now on, and after item updates, just to spread new items around to the regulars.
edit: I should probably put in a trade limit or something... ok: how about: please don't ask for more than one copy of the same item.

I also have a strange ambassador and a strange flare gun that I'm looking to trade for strange scattergun or strange powerjack 1:1
Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/yeoz if interested.

yeoz said:
Just to repeat today the same thing I did yesterday, I'm willing to trade anything from this backpack for one scrap or any non-crate item I don't already have in that backpack.
Send a trade request directly to http://steamcommunity.com/id/ye0z
I'll likely be doing this every weekend from now on, and after item updates, just to spread new items around to the regulars.

I also have a strange ambassador and a strange flare gun that I'm looking to trade for strange scattergun or strange powerjack 1:1
Add me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/yeoz if interested.
Much appreciated, thanks.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
yeOz is awesome everyone! I just got eight items that I had been needing to flesh out my collection, including a lot of the uber update items.

Now if I can just get a Tomislav, grrrrr

Anony

wartime1020 said:
No I saw it, just the mere mention reclaimed is mind boggling.
1. i dont follow the economy
2. what i meant was, 1 scrap to 3 scraps (ie anything more than a scrap would be cool)
3. i was just in a server that someone crafted a madmilk from scratch, i mentioned i had a mad milk to trade, for a scrap, he said he didnt care

Grinchy said:
Look up itemtest if you don't know what it is. It is a map that you can jump into, and then you bring the console down and type "itemtest" and you put a bot in the room wearing any item with any color. It's an awesome way to check things out before committing any paint.

The only problem with that, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, is it defaults to the "original style" where I would like to see how it looks with the "full color paint" style. Any idea how I can change the paint style on the helm in itemtest?

Edit: I added you yeOz. A couple of items in your backpack I'd be willing to trade a scrap for if it's still okay with you.

Also is anyone willing to trade a Team Spirit paint with me?

I switched to the minimalist HUD and I really like it except that my Milk bar doesn't fit quite right, but the buff banner bar fits perfect.

Also Yeoz is awesome. When I get metal it goes to him.

Dreavus

Cuban Legend said:
dude whats the point of having a f2p idler account if you can't make use of ti's drops via trading them from the alt?

gotcha! nice trading with ya! Summer Crate Items GAF-Sale Inventory Updated! Grab them before they are gone!

Summer Crate items/hats all 33% off their lowest estimated price at the Special GAF-Sale Price of 1 Refined each:
2x Prarie Heel Biters
2x Security Shades
SOLD OUT Copper's Hard Top
1x Big Steel Jaw of Summer Fun
1x Stately Steel Toe

Cool, I wouldn't mind trading for the Steel Jaw if you still have it.

Oh my!

Just played a good game of Payload. It's going right down to the last few metres for the attackers and it's my turret/dispenser combo is keeping us in the game and I'm fighting them off like a fucking boss, wedged inbetween.

I'm busy keeping the turret alive from some demo shells but this medic on our side decides to concentrate on healing this spy who is clearly fucking sapping the shit out of them. Me hitting this guy obviously does nothing and I lose the turret.

Jesus man.

Bradlums

Hey I just started playing a few days ago with a free account and I'm trying to get some Scout gear. Am I allowed to trade or receive/give stuff?

Bradlums said:
Hey I just started playing a few days ago with a free account and I'm trying to get some Scout gear. Am I allowed to trade or receive/give stuff?
I believe you have to buy something in the store (which upgrades you to a premium account) in order to trade for stuff.

Bradlums

Dreams-Visions said:
I believe you have to buy something in the store (which upgrades you to a premium account) in order to trade for stuff.
Well shoot.

So did anyone else have trouble getting the scout achievements? I feel like they're much more specific and difficult to get than most other classes. I've only played as a sniper for about an hour and I unlocked the bow, but I'm still 7 achieves away from that double barreled shotgun for the scout and I've played that class for like 7 hours.

Bradlums said:
Well shoot.

So did anyone else have trouble getting the scout achievements? I feel like they're much more specific and difficult to get than most other classes. I've only played as a sniper for about an hour and I unlocked the bow, but I'm still 7 achieves away from that double barreled shotgun for the scout and I've played that class for like 7 hours.

The default scattergun is better, so don't worry too much about it.

Bradlums

wartime1020 said:
The default scattergun is better, so don't worry too much about it.
Oh I see... So what weapons for the scout should I be looking to get?

Edit: Hey yeoz, if you're still wanting scrap for some of those scout items, I'd be glad to trade.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Bradlums said:
Oh I see... So what weapons for the scout should I be looking to get?

Edit: Hey yeoz, if you're still wanting scrap for some of those scout items, I'd be glad to trade.
Default Scattertgun is the best gun for the Scout, but the Shortstop is also decent. The Crit-a-cola can be good depending on your playstyle, and the Bonk! is entirely situation but useful to have. Milk is...eh, alright I guess and the Winger is a straight-up downgrade.

In terms of melee weapons, well, the only ones that are really going to be useful are the Sandman and the Atomizer. And I guess the Fan-o-War can be fun too.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Le Sigh.

Is there a script or anything that auto bypasses the information window and selects your side and class for idle servers? I hate the map changing and I get stuck on that screen.

Rapstah

Typically aren't US play sessions announced through the US TF2 GAF group? The EU equivalent should gather enough members to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom