• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreams-Visions said:
The Value of Teamwork FTW!

iefBIo.jpg

I want to paint so many items with Team Spirit or similar paints but people want 3 refined for 1.

Yeef

Loch-n-load is 'fun' when you're decent with it, but not really great in serious play. Like the direct hit it's great at taking out sentries, but that makes it pretty redundant when the sticky launcher already does that. If they made it reload twice as fast I'd be inclined to use it more often.

Tkawsome said:
I've tried again and again and I still can't play Scout or Demoman. Any tips? I seem to have some minor luck with the scout once I know the map, but I still spend most of the match dead and maybe get a couple of kills. As for Demoman, I've spent ~ an hour and a half as the class and only unlocked one achievement. I just can't seem to figure it out short of hitting turret nests.

You've kind of got to play Scout like you would a Spy. Never engage an enemy directly, never let them see you coming. In place of stealth use your speed, greater maneuverability and knowledge of the map layout to your advantage. A good Scout can dance circles around ever other class, but your aim has to be as good as your movements. When you attack an enemy, do it up close. The Scatter Gun, Force of Nature et all are at their most deadly up close, go for those meat shots.

If you engage an explosive class, use your double jumps to lead their fire. Use your initial jump to get them to fire one way and double jump in the opposite direction. Demos are generally easier to take on than Soldiers simply because they lack direct fire capabilities. However a good demo can still tag you with a pipe or will try to fall back and sticky the ground in front of you.

When fighting Heavies head on you want to jump at and over them, make them work to re-adjust and aim at you. It's harder for a heavy to track you with their mini guns up and over than it is for them to simply rotate and track you. Stay mobile, if you can use the environment to evade and circle them, come at them from a greater height, pop out, fire and pop back, do it.

Pyros are generally a class you want to keep your distance from, unless you can get the drop on them or have the Sandman to stun them. If you do get tagged by fire, don't panic, you can keep fighting and win if you keep your distance and avoid further fire. You can use Mad Milk to put yourself out or, if you have the time and space, use your Bonk Atomic Punch to escape further damage while you seek out the nearest health kit spawning point.

Snipers, Engineers and Medics. Troll the fuck out of these classes. These can be some of the easiest classes for you to kill provided you approach the situation correctly. If you can harass these important classes and throw them off their game, you can do your team a lot of good.

The Force of Nature. A lot of people bag on this weapon but it's extremely useful because of its knock-back capabilities that function much like a pyro's air compression blast. You can blast enemies off of ledges (portions of thunder mountain, upward. double cross and hightower for example), you can knock back and sort of toy with sword demos (although that new set makes this less viable) like a pryo and you can use the FaN for platforming. For example I can get from spawn to the enemy intel in 14 seconds in Doublecross using the Force of Nature to triple jump from my teams sniper ledge to the bridge, to the enemy teams sniper deck, grab the intel, FaN jump back to their sniper deck and out.

The Sandman. Of the Scouts alternate melee weapons, this is the most useful. So much so I rarely switch to any other weapon. You lose 15hps, but gain the ability to stun your opponents, which can sometimes make a world of difference. Stun the heavy of a combo, murder his medic, run away. Also the Sandman has a pretty epic taunt kill.

Pistol and Bonk Atomic Punch. Both are useful tools. Pistols are good to harass engineers with because you can take pot shots at their buildings from a decent distance, maybe even destroy them if the buildings are unattended. Bonk's just great for getting in and out of so many situations that it's kind of hard to list.

As for the other equipment. I have the Milk Man set and part of the Uber Update set but I don't really use the other items much. They're fun to play around with but I find the default and class update items to be the most useful.

Sorry if this is kind of a random brain dump.

DarkKyo

Yeef said:
Loch-n-load is 'fun' when you're decent with it, but not really great in serious play. Like the direct hit it's great at taking out sentries, but that makes it pretty redundant when the sticky launcher already does that. If they made it reload twice as fast I'd be inclined to use it more often.
I find its best for hallways when the other team gets lumped together... not hard to miss anyone and its a lot of damage effecting a lot of people.

Sourtreats said:
I want to paint so many items with Team Spirit or similar paints but people want 3 refined for 1.
Team Spirit can be had just about anywhere for 1 ref.

it's just the new-new ones (The Value of Teamwork, Cream Spirit, etc.) that are 2 ref or more.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've never had a weapon gain a rank. How many kills do i need and how can i view that?

I haven't delved deep into TF2 for such a long time, It feels like after 350 hours of playing since the original beta, I'm back to being a full blown newbie when it comes to crafting and god knows what else that's been added.

evlcookie said:
I've never had a weapon gain a rank. How many kills do i need and how can i view that?

I haven't delved deep into TF2 for such a long time, It feels like after 350 hours of playing since the original beta, I'm back to being a full blown newbie when it comes to crafting and god knows what else that's been added.
Only strange weapons have ranks that increase. The first rank up is at 50 kills I think? But other than the strange weapons none of them do, and gaining rank does nothing more than change its name.

Right on, thanks for all the tips guys. I'll give them some more time and play with some of the tactics you mentioned. Probably not on your server though, you guys are too good for me to be dicking around with these classes.

jaundicejuice said:
Sorry if this is kind of a random brain dump.

Not at all, lots of good stuff in there. Thanks!

Dreams-Visions said:
Team Spirit can be had just about anywhere for 1 ref.

it's just the new-new ones (The Value of Teamwork, Cream Spirit, etc.) that are 2 ref or more.

Yeah my mistake, I just checked TF2TP and saw people selling 1.3 refined. Once I've got a Reggaelator‎, I'll probably buy a few cans.

Milly79

evlcookie said:

ID Name Kills
0 Unremarkable 10
1 Scarcely Lethal 25
2 Mildly Menacing 45
3 Somewhat Threatening 70
4 Uncharitable 100
5 Notably Dangerous 135
6 Sufficiently Lethal 175
7 Truly Feared 225
8 Spectacularly Lethal 275
9 Gore-Spattered 350
10 Wicked Nasty 500
11 Positively Inhumane 750
12 Totally Ordinary 999
13 Face-Melting 1000
14 Rage-Inducing 1500
15 Server-Clearing 2500
16 Epic 5000
17 Legendary 7500
18 Australian 7616
19 Hale's Own 8500
20 Unknown 10000

Milly79

I really, really want to trade for some reason, and I also want to crack open these crates, but don't want to spend money. :|

Please tell me if this link works for anyone.

http://d.pr/CGBb

I basically just want scraps. 1:1

Milly79 said:
Because that's what I want to trade. The other items aren't really available since I use them, unless someone really wants it for something I want. Makes more sense to me, and I saw someone else do it, so I followed suit. :lol
Take 5 minutes and move your untradeable items down a few pages.

Leave the first 2 pages up for trades. like this. :wink wink:

Javaman

Yeef said:
I have the bolded, trading, as always, 1:1 for any other uber weapon.

Crate 22 doesn't exist anymore. That was the summer cooler. They all evaporated (*badum ttssh*) on Monday. Any particular reason you're looking for those crates?

[Edit] Already mentioned this to Java, but #6 is the winter crate, so that doesn't exist either. Also, i finally got him to upload his avatar :D

Thanks to yeef, Dragon, and a couple of others I've almost got all the crates I need. Only missing a #2 crate right now. I can either trade a different crate for it or a spare item.

DarkKyo

Milly79 said:
Because that's what I want to trade. The other items aren't really available since I use them, unless someone really wants it for something I want. Makes more sense to me, and I saw someone else do it, so I followed suit. :lol
Damn man you addicted to trading but you gotta get some nice stuff to trade first. Work on your collection for a bit before going trade bananas... wait until its like this!

http://tf2b.com/?id=76561198001089564

So I traded my Doctors Sack w/Purple Fetti for a Vintage Merryweather w/Green Fetti.

I lost out and the thing has Gift from: some random guy but the whole process of trading unusual's was not fun at all. Unless you have a "god tier hat" w/ "God tier effects" people don't care. I know for a fact I'll use the Merryweather alot more than I would have with the Sack.

I might rename it to "W+M1.exe"

And because everyones linking their backpacks here's mine.

Saw the Sunday event. I'd love to play but apparently my glutus piriformis has seized my sciatica and FUCK IT HURTS. I tried to play but I can't even concentrate.

Blizzard

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:
they need to give the free players some sorta identifier like an arm band or something so you know they are free players, and you can avoid them
Just like Hitler with the Jews, Yeef put stars on them. But just like the underground Jewish railroad, some of us have added stars to our names too, out of sympathy for them.

Also, I remember a free player being a hero and winning a game for us. Why should I treat them badly because they play a free game? :)

ZombieSupaStar said:
they need to give the free players some sorta identifier like an arm band or something so you know they are free players, and you can avoid them

Apparently there's a server option that you can use to block free weekenders from your server.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I have 2 Bazaar Bargain (the Sniper from the Über Update) and 1 Bushwacka (the knife from the crocodile set of the Sniper to trade.

And 2 Brass Beast.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Half tempted to get shades and the engy spikes.

That way my engie can be fully decked out and heavy I think looks better with shades than summer glasses.

*Shoot me a message, I don't see you on.
** I have a ton of vintage weapons I'm trading away for whatever they are worth now.

Hazaro said:
Half tempted to get shades and the engy spikes.

That way my engie can be fully decked out and heavy I think looks better with shades than summer glasses.

*Shoot me a message, I don't see you on.
** I have a ton of vintage weapons I'm trading away for whatever they are worth now.
ArtistDude88 said:
I'm interested in one of the shades.
I'm online now and will be for the next 30+ minutes before i hit the sack. If you miss me, catch me tomorrow afternoon. :)

Uriah

Dreams-Visions said:
Dear TF2-GAF,

DO NOT OPEN CRATES.

Download the Flash .swf file directly here and spend some time with it. It'll take the itch away and the edge off.

I opened 643 crates before an unusual appeared and spent 1600 dollars.
Fun games tonight and thanks to Artemis for giving away a shit load of free gifts. You're awesome.

I'm still looking for a Tomislav and I have these to trade for it:
Bazaar Bargain
Eviction Notice
Persian Persuader
Solemn Vow
Liberty Launcher

SteamID is Treecubed

Not sure I get the Sandman love. The deficit on your HP is still pretty significant, and the Stun Ball is nearly ineffective at anything but the longest range.

My favorite Scout melee weapon is the Fan O'War.

250px-Fan_O%27War.png

Tag an enemy once, and they're almost guaranteed to die, even if it's not by your hands. Plenty of times the enemy doesn't even react to initially being hit with it, since it does such low damage, leaving you to casually switch to a gun for a guaranteed kill. Also good for tagging someone who's been set on fire, makes the "annoyance" of afterburn suddenly a lot more serious. Terrific way of screwing up Heavy-Medic pairings, no matter which one you tag.

The only time it's bad is when you don't have any ammo for either of your guns, and you're still at least condemning your foe to death by someone else's gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom