• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Milly79 said:
CGBb.Screen%20shot%202011-07-17%20at%2015%3A32%3A00.png

1 scrap each for the weaps.
Is not working.

Scipius

awwyeahgurrl said:
Hung about on the EU server and no one joined. I hope in the next coming days/weeks the server gets some use.

I have added it to my favourites; but indeed, only one person was on it. We'll need to announce it to the group.

TGMIII

I did but yeah nothing. I guess at the moment there's not a lot of people in the EU steam group so I guess I'll plug it again. I have to do a bit of work tonight so I won't be on again until tomorrow.

EUROGAF TF2

Is there a mod that lets you create different class loadouts so that you don't have to go to the loadout screen and swap out individual weapons every time?

Grinchy

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Is there a mod that lets you create different class loadouts so that you don't have to go to the loadout screen and swap out individual weapons every time?
That would be awesome.

I have a Vintage Tyrolean, any idea what it's worth? Someone was looking to trade this last match and I'm automatically nervous after loosing the earbuds.

Yeef

desh

Tkawsome said:
I have a Vintage Tyrolean, any idea what it's worth? Someone was looking to trade this last match and I'm automatically nervous after loosing the earbuds.

Is it Vintage Vintage (ie blue) or is it nonvintage (ie yellow)? If it's nonvintage, then it's worth 2-3 refined. Probably closer to 2. You should be able to get any of the polycount set hats with it, and a lot of other good hats. Look here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/u...cPdDZZVllaelBuaFlRdUE4YUQ3VFFuTXc&hl=en&gid=0

How often does paint drop? If I'm wanting to paint 3 of my items a certain color I'm guessing it would take a while to expect to come across those particular colors, especially team spirit and waterlogged lab coat... does anyone have them to trade?

Probably going to bite the bullet and fork up the monies to the store :/

MisterAnderson said:
How often does paint drop? If I'm wanting to paint 3 of my items a certain color I'm guessing it would take a while to expect to come across those particular colors, especially team spirit and waterlogged lab coat... does anyone have them to trade?

If you have metal, try yeoz, iirc his backpack was chock full of paints & maybe even paint crates? ask if he'll trade you some?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
MisterAnderson said:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Paint

Team-style paints don't drop, and a handful of single-color paints don't drop either. Those that do seem to drop with not-quite-hat rarity.

desh said:
Is it Vintage Vintage (ie blue) or is it nonvintage (ie yellow)? If it's nonvintage, then it's worth 2-3 refined. Probably closer to 2. You should be able to get any of the polycount set hats with it, and a lot of other good hats. Look here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/u...cPdDZZVllaelBuaFlRdUE4YUQ3VFFuTXc&hl=en&gid=0

Blue. Guess I made the right move not to go through with the trade, they were only offering weapons so I backed out. I should probably ask for keys, hats, or refined metals then?

TGMIII

undu said:
wouldn't it be better if we just had a single group?

I had thought so myself but a few people thought otherwise. I have no real problem with it being under one group, but I guess it might just be easier to see what EU players are doing what under an EU group.

Grinchy

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Blue. Guess I made the right move not to go through with the trade, they were only offering weapons so I backed out. I should probably ask for keys, hats, or refined metals then?
Since it's worth 5-6 refined, you could go on the google spreadsheet and see what items you'd want for that value. Or just sell it for straight up metal, or just for a hat you really want, ect.

Just don't trade it away for less than at least 5ref worth of goods.

Fucking jesus christ. 3 Strange Boston Bashers in a row out of these retarded Scout crates.

Does anyone have a Strange Minigun, Direct Hit, or Pistol for trade? I have a Strange Eyelander, Rocket Launcher, two Boston Bashers, and various other spare weapons that aren't strange as well as some metal.

AcciDante

awwyeahgurrl said:
I had thought so myself but a few people thought otherwise. I have no real problem with it being under one group, but I guess it might just be easier to see what EU players are doing what under an EU group.
Yeah, I think it would be easier to have 2 groups. Unless you're somehow able to do subgroups. I don't want to be getting EU server announcements too >.>

I have a strange GRU that I'm looking to trade for a strange shotgun or rocket launcher or scattergun or something. Something I'll actually accrue kills with.

Valve finally figured out how to get get me to buy keys, bloody strange weapons. I evenly actively went on to some trading servers and purchased a bunch of series 23 crates for scrap. I think i had two Strange Boston Bashers, four Strange Sandmans, three Olde Bakers Boys, one Milkman, and one strange pistol before I unboxed a Strange Scatter Gun. Some people just gave me crates because I was opening crates, got a few other random strange weapons for demo, spy and heavy.

It's like a slot machine.

I got all of the Scout weapons that I wanted though, so I'm not gonna complain. Gotta a few Strange weapons I can hopefully use to barter for the Scout Uber update set. I just need the hat and bat now.

Grinchy

Banned
Sourtreats said:
5th Item my idle account finds, Furious Fukaamigasa.
Nice work. I was happy to get a double digit number of drops from my idle account this week. Last week I only got 6 things and one of them was a crate.

jaundicejuice said:

Yep. That's my problem. I don't like slot machines, but I do like to gamble.

jaundicejuice said:
Valve finally figured out how to get get me to buy keys, bloody strange weapons. I evenly actively went on to some trading servers and purchased a bunch of series 23 crates for scrap. I think i had two strange Boston Bashers, four Strange Sandmans, three Olde Bakers Boys, one Milkman, and one strange pistol before I unboxed a Strange Scatter Gun. Some people just gave me crates because I was opening crates got a few other random strange weapons for demo, spy and heavy.

I got all of the Scout weapons that I wanted though, so I'm not gonna complain. Gotta a few Strange weapons I can hopefully use to barter for the Scout Uber update set. I just need the hat and bat now.
Shit, you want another #23?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
How do you guys actually idle?

Do you always join the same server and just hit esc to bring up the menu then go and sleep? or is there another method which is easier that i don't know of ?

I've been doing this:

Weenerz said:
Just make your own server.

Change the launch options of TF2 inside of steam and add this.

Code:
-textmode -novid -nosound -nopreload +map_background ctf_2fort

TF2 will launch like normal for a few seconds, then close and then open command prompt, it will automatically create a server and you will idle in it until you close command prompted. Next time you want to play TF2, just take that out of your launch options.

Works great.

Also there is no way to check if you've hit the item drop cap right?

evlcookie said:

Do you always join the same server and just hit esc to bring up the menu then go and sleep? or is there another method which is easier that i don't know of ?
Much easier. There are some other launch options, but primarily use -textmode and +map achievement_idle (or any other map of your choice) and you start your own VAC enabled server in spectator mode to idle in for however long you want. It comes up as a text window.

SteveWinwood said:
Also there is no way to check if you've hit the item drop cap right?
I guess there's no set method, but I just check tf2items.com and see how many items have come along. If I have 10 or so (not counting crates) then I figure I'm done.

evlcookie said:

right click on TF2, then select properties and open "Set Launch Options". When a new box appears, place the following text -textmode -nosound -noipx -novid -nopreload -nojoy -sw +map "itemtest"

I do that either over night or during the day. It uses alot less ram and I'm normally able to play other games.

My idle accounts been on for about 6 hours and has found; Buff Banner, New demoknight sword, Jag, Direct hit, Crate, that soldier hat, brass beast, shiv, backburner and mad milk.

I'll leave it on till morning and see if it gets any more.

Grinchy

Banned
evlcookie said:

You can do the textmode thing people are explaining to you, or you can just simply click "offline practice" and choose any type of game. Let it start up, hit alt+tab, and now you're idling!

When I used to idle on my main Steam account, I'd minimize TF2 and then open up Terraria and play that.

thefil

Decided to open another scout crate tonight. Got a Strange Pistol to replace the one I traded to Yeef! All is right in the world.

Also, after finally getting my Strange Scattergun, I am still nursing my Strange Sandman much more. It's at 87 kills, and it's so fun to just go for the bat/taunt whenever possible.

Grinchy said:
Nice work. I was happy to get a double digit number of drops from my idle account this week. Last week I only got 6 things and one of them was a crate.
Yep. That's my problem. I don't like slot machines, but I do like to gamble.
I've heard others have been averaging 10 items and 2 crates per idler per week.

I've tried again and again and I still can't play Scout or Demoman. Any tips? I seem to have some minor luck with the scout once I know the map, but I still spend most of the match dead and maybe get a couple of kills. As for Demoman, I've spent ~ an hour and a half as the class and only unlocked one achievement. I just can't seem to figure it out short of hitting turret nests.

Tkawsome said:
I've tried again and again and I still can't play Scout or Demoman. Any tips? I seem to have some minor luck with the scout once I know the map, but I still spend most of the match dead and maybe get a couple of kills. As for Demoman, I've spent ~ an hour and a half as the class and only unlocked one achievement. I just can't seem to figure it out short of hitting turret nests.

Are you playing Demoknight or normal demoman? I either use the Loch N Load or the standard launcher + stock stick launcher. Stick launcher is great for removing sentrys as you can charge the shot and fire the stick further away.

Sourtreats said:
Are you playing Demoknight or normal demoman? I either use the Loch N Load or the standard launcher + stock stick launcher. Stick launcher is great for removing sentrys as you can charge the shot and fire the stick further away.

I've only tried standard Demo so far. I have a couple swords, but I don't think I have anything for a charge attack yet so I haven't really tried the class yet. Should I try out the Loch N Load or practice more with the standard?

MisterAnderson said:
Fucking jesus christ. 3 Strange Boston Bashers in a row out of these retarded Scout crates.

Does anyone have a Strange Minigun, Direct Hit, or Pistol for trade? I have a Strange Eyelander, Rocket Launcher, two Boston Bashers, and various other spare weapons that aren't strange as well as some metal.

PMed.

Tkawsome said:
I've only tried standard Demo so far. I have a couple swords, but I don't think I have anything for a charge attack yet so I haven't really tried the class yet. Should I try out the Loch N Load or practice more with the standard?

I found the Loch N Load was good practise learning to hit my enemies directly, the bombs disappear if they don't hit on impact. Once I got the hang I went back to the stock launcher and found it easier to use.

Tkawsome said:
I've tried again and again and I still can't play Scout or Demoman. Any tips?

Scout: Run around them while they're focused on other targets, meatshot, run away. Also, run past the front line when you can, annoy the fuck out of them from behind. This is especially true on A/D and payload maps where teles make a big difference. Don't attack people coming out of spawn, just trash teles every time the Engineer tries to put one up. Eventually they'll give up and waste even more time coming after you, probably as Engineer because switching classes means their existing buildings will explode.

Demoman: Pipes are already powerful weapons. They travel long distances, they bounce (except on the Face-Explode, er, Loch-n-Load), and they're pretty annoying to try to get away from. A great trick is bouncing them around corners, figure out what angles give you the best distance. Even a Pyro reflecting them often can't reflect them far enough away to avoid damage. Stickies are win-bombs. Generally you want to lay down at least two or three before you pop them, anything lower and there's a chance they'll survive. Unless one's a crit, then just pull the trigger and laugh as they gib from a huge distance away because of your luck.

Milly79

Tkawsome said:

The Loch N Load seems useless to me, cause if basically has to be a direct hit since there's no splash damage (correct me if I'm wrong). I do decent with regular Demo. Just try and pop in and out of cover and always be in numbers. Cover the doorways/choke points with stickies (I use the Scottish Resistance) and wait for people to run through and blow it. You also have to anticipate enemy movements, so you can shoot the nade the direction they are stepping. It's one of the easiest classes to pick up, I think. I can't play Scout or Spy at all. Pyro's pretty hard, too.

Yeef

Tkawsome said:
Stick to all vanilla demoman.

Demoman is pretty easy and probably the strongest class once you get good with it. Offensively, demoman plays similarly to soldier. you want to aim at where your target is going to be when your stuff hits, not where they are. For the grenade launcher just practice aiming and eventually getting direct hits becomes pretty easy. You can use rollers (non direct hits) as a sort of area denial to herd people in another direction. When using the sticky launcher try to explode them either in midair or when the target is standing right on top of them. if you have auto reload on, the arm time on the default sticky launcher means they can be detonated just as the reload animation starts. It's important to get the timing down because if you press the button too early there's a bit of a delay before you can press it again.

Scout is a fairly straightforward class, but difficult to get good with. Scout requires good aim more than any other class besides sniper (and even then, I'd argue more than huntsman snipers). The Scout does maximum damage with 'meatshots,' point blank shots with his scattergun. You want to try to flank the enemy, get in close to kill them quickly and then retreat. If you weaken an enemy and they start to retreat and/or you run out of ammo in your scattergun clip switch to the pistol and finish them off.

Use your speed and your double jump (or triple jump if you have an atomizer) to confuse your enemy by jumping over them or changing direction in midair. As with every class, you want to know when to engage and when to retreat. If, for some reason, retreat isn't an option when you're facing a group of enemies try to focus on a single target. Usually the medic is the best target, but not always.

Finally, this works with every class, but probably best with Scout. The bait and switch. When you're retreating and you suspect your attacker is pursuing you run around a corner, wait a second or so then head back. They'll either be coming right around the corner and you'll hit them with a meatshot (100+ damage) or they'll be headed in the other direction so you can sneak up on them. This rarely works near the current objective, but generally works everywhere else on a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom