• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuban Legend said:
that server needs to move to a sixcore AMD box with 6 gb of DDR3 and an SSD. it shouldn't cost too much and should be laser fast, fast enough for 32 players.
Team Fortress 2 is fucking terrible with 32 players. One of the reasons I stopped playing is because a bunch of servers use fake players numbers, and 32 players is way too much people for every official map. Either stalemate or stackstackstack.

DarkKyo

Sgt.Pepper said:
Team Fortress 2 is fucking terrible with 32 players. One of the reasons I stopped playing is because a bunch of servers use fake players numbers, and 32 players is way too much people for every official map. Either stalemate or stackstackstack.
Nah I play on 32-man servers all the time and we get some pretty intense games. Don't usually stalemate either...

Dechaios said:
Nah I play on 32-man servers all the time and we get some pretty intense games. Don't usually stalemate either...
Oh I bet. When either team gets stacked, then people on the losing team start disconnecting, and team balance goes to shit; or those sweet 4 Engineers on the last point or being the only medic with baby sitting other 15 people.

DarkKyo

commissar said:
I know! I'm quite fond of it, so i try and share it around.

Maybe I should start bolding my opinions for maximum impact. Thoughts?
As long as you keep speaking for everyone I'd say you are golden.

commissar said:
32 players is great if you like spam fests, but if you actually enjoy the games' mechanics, then 24p is the standard to live by.

That is one thing I really hate, the spamming. And it's always from Demos too. You know that corner on Dustbowl stage 3 when you try to cap that final point? So often you cannot even round it because there are so many grenades just bouncing around.

yeoz

32 players makes for lots of points, but, also for long grindy messes. No thanks. I rather have shorter more varied rounds than more endless hightower grinds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grimm Fandango said:
That is one thing I really hate, the spamming. And it's always from Demos too. You know that corner on Dustbowl stage 3 when you try to cap that final point? So often you cannot even round it because there are so many grenades just bouncing around.
Yeah we have enough spam if each team has 1 demo let alone 2.

Fox318

Just want to thank Cuban for the trade.

Also does anyone have advise for coaching people to play TF? My girlfriend is trying to learn but she just isn't used shooters.

Any advise.

XeroSauce

Fox318 said:

Also does anyone have advise for coaching people to play TF? My girlfriend is trying to learn but she just isn't used shooters.

Any advise.

Do the tutorials and start her on easy bots, of course. Teach each class slowly and only start with 2 or 3 (Soldier, Pyro, Heavy are good to start).

Expand to Scout, Medic, and Sniper. Demoman/Spy/Engineer can be last because they are usually the hardest to play.

Join Valve servers, koth/plr are good for this because there isn't always a direct focus so she can freelance.

Still looking to acquire a strange minigun and shotgun (or possibly knife instead of shotgun). Still looking to get rid of a strange eyelander, targe, and ambassador.

Grimm Fandango said:

Spam is what wins and loses Dustbowl, especially that corner. You gotta play that map like you own shares in Hormel, spam along with periodic ubers and kritz are what you need to push the other team back, destroy their set-up and drive them back to the first point.

Dustbowl is also a fuckawful map. It's a spam funnel, especially the last cap on the final stage.

Fox318 said:

Any advise.
You're a great trader man. Glad to see the hat went to someone who really wanted it :)

Yeef

I'm not a fan of altering the game mechanics. Changing spawn times, increasing player counts and anything that affects core mechanics generally makes the game worse.

I've brought it up before, but if it gets to a point where tons and tons of people are waiting we can always set up a second server.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I'm not a fan of altering the game mechanics. Changing spawn times, increasing player counts and anything that affects core mechanics generally makes the game worse.

I've brought it up before, but if it gets to a point where tons and tons of people are waiting we can always set up a second server.
The EU server is up now, right? I haven't tried it yet but it should be there for a bit.

Forkball

32 player Degroot Keep AWWWW YEAAAAAAAH

This Thursday: The Sputnik Update. Garbage Soldier set, Gardener Pyro set, Engineer's Revenge set (space related), Goal Keeper for the Heavy, Raid mode, new hats, isotopes, new maps, Meet the Pyro.

BELIEVE

submission guidelines: hats should be under 800 polygoahahahahhahaa *gives 5 hats lod optimizations, lumbricus lid has more polys than a full-polycount pyro*

also the lowest lod bazaar bargain still has like twice the triangles than the full polycount sniper rifle

(._.)

Banned
commissar said:
32 players is great if you like spam fests, but if you actually enjoy the games' mechanics, then 24p is the standard to live by.
24p is still a spam fest most of the time

both are good. 32 can work out on some of the larger designed maps like Thunder Mountain.

derFeef

Blizzard said:
The EU server is up now, right? I haven't tried it yet but it should be there for a bit.
I wanted to join yesterday but it was either offline, or the IP is wrong in the community page. Would love to play with Euro-GAF.

Also: I hate 32 players or any kind of modified core mechanics like spawn times.

XeroSauce

Forkball said:
32 player Degroot Keep AWWWW YEAAAAAAAH

This Thursday: The Sputnik Update. Garbage Soldier set, Gardener Pyro set, Engineer's Revenge set (space related), Goal Keeper for the Heavy, Raid mode, new hats, isotopes, new maps, Meet the Pyro.

BELIEVE

Hahahahahahahahaha

hahaha

ha

-cry-

Clydefrog

More (dumb) replays from Artemis Clivefrog!

I thought the pyro would kill me, so I decided to go for a stroll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhI0_mxrB0E

Killing an oblivious SteveWinwood followed by another oblivious heavy equals... wait, what? AWW SHIT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLUNDOwZpw

edit: oh yeah, screw this guy!
nbw4li.jpg

Yeef said:

Why not just reinstate a password?

EDIT: VVV Now theres an idea.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am guessing their is no way to make the server have a password at certain capacities or hours? Like if it is at 20 people from say 8PM EST to 12PM EST, to start a Password, and then drop the password if the server does not fill up within 10 minutes or so? Or is that to complex for a server mod?

Uriah

corn_fest said:
Very likely. The rockets + this new item + the new items in the F2P teaser seem to point to it, plus I'm sure they want to give new players a taste of the way TF2 recieves huge updates. Also, a bunch of things from the STS leak from months ago still haven't been released, notably Raid and Specialty modes, some weapons like the Goal Keeper for Heavy, and weapon isotopes.

Wait, what was in the leak?

derFeef

I am guessing raid mode is going to happen on those maps where the rockets landed and we have to fight a huge and nasty alien boss. THAT WOULD BE SWEET!

corn_fest

Uriah said:
Wait, what was in the leak?
Basically this (brought to you by GAF/SPUF/Facepunch's own ned_ballad).
There's screencaps somewhere in the Facepunch thread but I can't be arsed to find them.

Edit: the isotopes thing was from the screencaps I mentioned. they're around somewhere...

Bluth54 said:
Valve needs to let the community create and submit LOD models. If they opened that up I'm sure they would have LOD models for everything within a few weeks.
I'm sure people would do it for like 5% of the store cut. The original designers still get their 25 and valve gets whats left. Shit some people would do it for free.

Has anyone else been running into connection problems? It's been non stop for me these past couple of days. Failure to connect to matches, lag once the action picks up, and that annoying
"fake weapon switch" thing is more frequent then ever. I often have to change my weapon five times before it finally registers, it's making some of the classes unplayable.

On the plus side I'm digging the offensive engineer class. The mini-turrets are great for providing a distraction on the front lines and they rack up a decent amount of kills. Even better is they're great for stocking up mini-criticals with the Frontier Justice. Definitely a class I'll add to my rotation.

Bluth54 said:
Valve needs to let the community create and submit LOD models. If they opened that up I'm sure they would have LOD models for everything within a few weeks.

They need to go further and make community contributors have at least 1 LOD model when they submit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom