• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMIII

derFeef said:
I wanted to join yesterday but it was either offline, or the IP is wrong in the community page. Would love to play with Euro-GAF.

Also: I hate 32 players or any kind of modified core mechanics like spawn times.

It's having work done to it right now, should be back up this afternoon once I get back from work.

derFeef

awwyeahgurrl said:
It's having work done to it right now, should be back up this afternoon once I get back from work.
Nice, thanks. If I could help you with anything shoot me a PM. I managed a Counterstrike server back in the days :)

Dreams-Visions said:
none. save them until they are trade-able then get metal or the hats you want for them.

edit: too fucking late. you spent the equivalent of 4.66 refined metal (4 refined, 2 reclaimed) on items worth 1-2 reclaimed these days.

OK, I've read your explanation below, but what I don't get is why people would give the 4.66 refined for a key that is only worth 1-2 reclaimed?

Are we talking about people who have a shit ton of metal and are gambling for that 1% unusual?

TGMIII

derFeef said:
Nice, thanks. If I could help you with anything shoot me a PM. I managed a Counterstrike server back in the days :)

Yeah I did too way back, dat AMX mod. As the server starts to get more regulars I'll be looking at mods for the server. As of now there's really not much left to do with the EU server, a few cfg tweaks and possible plug-ins and that's it. The reason it's down now is because the server hosts are being slow updating the server for the latest version of TF2.

moojito

I'm finally getting back into the tf2 groove again. Looking forward to sappin' some sentries on the eu server!

Out of interest, are vintage weapons considered valuable? I'm looking for the spy fez and I'm tempted to smelt down some of the vintage spares I have in order to get the metal to craft one. Am I likely to get more for them by trading?

Shadybiz

This is odd...I recently started playing TF2, despite having the Orange Box since the holidays. Anyway, I tried to hop on last night, and when I hit "Start Playing" for Payload, it found a bunch of servers, say 88.

But then, the progress bar filled up all the way, and it gave me a message saying "There are no available game servers that meet your search criteria. Please try again." It did that a few times. Then, it finally got me into a game, but I was all by myself. I tried browsing servers, but it would either tell me that the server wasn't responding when I went to click on one, or it would put me into a match by myself, even though the list said that there were currently players on it.

I'm not sure what to do here, especially since it was running fine before last night. Any help would be appreciated. If I don't answer for a few hours, I'm not being inconsiderate, I have to head out for work now.

Edit: I tried reinstalling; that didn't work.

MarkMclovin said:
OK, I've read your explanation below, but what I don't get is why people would give the 4.66 refined for a key that is only worth 1-2 reclaimed?

Are we talking about people who have a shit ton of metal and are gambling for that 1% unusual?
Woah woah woah.

A key has NEVER been "only worth 1-2 reclaimed". If someone told you that, they were probably trying to fuck you out of metal.

1 Key = 2-2.33 REFINED.

That's the standard. That's what I got for a couple of my extra keys tonight...and what I got for my keys last week. And, I assume, that's been the standard for a very long time. Accepting less than 2 refined is what we call, "being conned." 2 refined is the *bare minimum* to accept in exchange for metal or hats. That is, if a hat you want to buy is valued at 2 refined and you hand the seller a key, you can generally expect to get the hat + a reclaimed (your change) in return.

In the context of the discussion you're mentioning, the guy spent 2 keys opening crates, which roughly translates to 4-4.66 refined (or 4 refined, 2 reclaimed) in metal. that's simple 2 * ~2.33 math there. Hopefully that didn't confuse you.

So I guess the real question is: who the fuck told you a KEY is only worth 1-2 reclaimed? If you heard that on a Trade server or similar server, all I can say is BEWARE OF SHYSTERS, CHARLATANS AND SCAMMERS. They often do things like tell you low values of your merchandise in order to get said items out of your hands for nothing. I've seen way too many stories of these shady people talking people out of their unusual hats by bathing them in cool weapons (which have no value by comparison). Or try to tell people their cool item (say a Rogue's Col Roule) was only worth 2 rec. Shit, just last night I saw a kid get talked out of a refined metal (a story I'll have to share for the lulz). The best way to protect yourself from such bullshit in the future is to have an idea of the value of what you're looking to buy or trade *before* you announce your presence or accept any trades. If people think they can bullshit you for more than something is worth, you can be damn sure they will.

Pro-tip: Never let anyone try to get you to trade your hats for weapons.

edit: and it's funny that you mentioned the "2 reclaimed = key" thing...because some moron tried to get me to give him my key for that yesterday evening. Not sure if he was hoping he'd run into a fool or if he really didn't know...but I kindly explained to him that he was about 5 reclaimed short.

Sorry for the verbose post. I've only been trading for a few days myself, but I think I've already seen all the tricks of the game. If you want to use those keys to open crates, it's certainly anyone's prerogative. It may make the game more fun to them to spend their keys being surprised. Just as long as people understand that with those same keys, they could be getting the hats they want without opening a single crate. Shit, just tonight I got a Planeswalker Helm (medic hat) for 2 refined and a Genuine Jannisary Ketche (spy hat) for 2 refined. Basically 1 key each (a little less), which was a bit below market value for both of tem. While the guy who opened the crates got a pair of weapons that are only valued at 1-2 refined a piece.

WINNING is not opening creates. WINNING is letting suckers open crates, then watching as they eat massive losses by having to sell them for scraps. Be a winner.

Grokbu

Mafro said:
The EU server has been up for a while 85.236.101.20:30615
Yeah, but it's apparently being updated or something atm.
I think that's what he's referring to.

EDIT: vv Ah, that's how it was.

TGMIII

Mafro said:
The EU server has been up for a while 85.236.101.20:30615

There was a problem with it last night were it hadn't been updated to the latest version. I put a support ticket in with the server hosts so it may be fixed as of now but I can't check since I'm in work. If not working now it will be by this afternoon.

derFeef said:
I traded two hats for a crate yesterday. It was for a friend but I still felt stupid.
wait...wait, what?

:-(

your friend wanted a crate so badly that he gave away 2 hats for one?

You could have gotten 6-8 crates for a couple of scraps.

Don't feel stupid, just lean the lesson. You can always get hats back. I just hope it wasn't an Unusual or something. That would have been tragic.

derFeef

Dreams-Visions said:
wait...wait, what?

your friend wanted a crate so badly that he gave away 2 hats for one?

You could have gotten 6-8 crates for a couple of scraps.

No it was the other way around.

derFeef

Dreams-Visions said:
oh, your friend wanted your 2 hats, but could only give you a crate in return?

well that's different. it was a transaction between friends. :)
Exactly. He just returned to TF2 so I boosted him with some fashion! And hey, I got my third strange Flare Gun! :p

I Have a Strange Kunai, Flamethrower, and then the Private Eye hat for trade if anyone is interested,

Just shoot me a message on steam. Steamid: Lead_Based_Paint

If strange weapons had more trade value, opening crates would be less of a risk. In the week since I opened some strange crates, the value of stranges has plummeted on trading sites. I kinda wish the stranges kept some indicator of who earned kills that stuck across trades; it would reduce the pool of "pristine" stranges and up their value. I wish I had understood the economy a bit more before upgrading an alt for idling; trading my keys would have been better than uncrating a strange Targe :(.

It makes me wonder if Valve is actually aware of the economy to the point where they try to manipulate it.

And speaking of the economy, has anyone done research into the inflation rate? Should prices go up by at least a scrap every week (that there isn't a new update) as players get new drops?

awwyeahgurrl said:
There was a problem with it last night were it hadn't been updated to the latest version. I put a support ticket in with the server hosts so it may be fixed as of now but I can't check since I'm in work. If not working now it will be by this afternoon.

After a quick check i can confirm server is up...and my ping was sub 30 too!!

TGMIII

Dandare4444 said:
After a quick check i can confirm server is up...and my ping was sub 30 too!!

Great. Well amazon have fucked up my order of new PC parts so I'll have time tonight and jump on the EU server.

Dreams-Visions said:
Woah woah woah.

A key has NEVER been "only worth 1-2 reclaimed". If someone told you that, they were probably trying to fuck you out of metal.

1 Key = 2-2.33 REFINED.

Yeah my bad. I totally read one of your posts wrong, hence my confusion and post.

Thanks for clearing that up though. I too have been buying some keys on my idle accounts to make them premium and then opening up crates to get some strange weapons back. On my main acc, I used 2 keys and I'm sure I got stuff back that you get with achievements or random drops :( but I suppose you need to learn first.

But now I have 4 accounts running, I'm now getting duplicates which I'm combining to get scraps to make reclaimed. Seems this is the only way for a new starter to get some good shit.

Now I'm thinking of having 6 ilde accounts, plus my main to farm some serious metal.

SteveWinwood said:
I'm sure people would do it for like 5% of the store cut. The original designers still get their 25 and valve gets whats left. Shit some people would do it for free.
people have done it for free

Many, many people.

And also the contributors themselves have submitted fixes occasionally.

Bakphoon

Dreams-Visions said:
Woah woah woah.

1 Key = 2-2.33 REFINED.

[...]

WINNING is not opening creates. WINNING is letting suckers open crates, then watching as they eat massive losses by having to sell them for scraps. Be a winner.

Thank you, i won't open crates again :)

I really want to learn to play Spy but every time I join a server the teams full of snipers and spies and one other class. So I always go Pyro or Demo to defend/attack so our team doesn't just loose straight away. It's annoying and to add insult to injury a spy who wasn't helping the team and just kept dying started telling me how to play demo last night when I was one of the only few defending the payload. :/

moojito

Sourtreats said:
I really want to learn to play Spy but every time I join a server the teams full of snipers and spies and one other class. So I always go Pyro or Demo to defend/attack so our team doesn't just loose straight away. It's annoying and to add insult to injury a spy who wasn't helping the team and just kept dying started telling me how to play demo last night when I was one of the only few defending the payload. :/

Find one of those granary only servers and guaranteed 50% of the entire server population will be engineers. Good times for learning the spy trade.

Mr_eX

Dreams-Visions said:
Woah woah woah.

1 Key = 2-2.33 REFINED.

That's the standard. That's what I got for a couple of my extra keys tonight...and what I got for my keys last week. And, I assume, that's been the standard for a very long time. Accepting less than 2 refined is what we call, "being conned." 2 refined is the *bare minimum* to accept in exchange for metal or hats. That is, if a hat you want to buy is valued at 2 refined and you hand the seller a key, you can generally expect to get the hat + a reclaimed (your change) in return.

In the context of the discussion you're mentioning, the guy spent 2 keys opening crates, which roughly translates to 4-4.66 refined (or 4 refined, 2 reclaimed) in metal. that's simple 2 * ~2.33 math there. Hopefully that didn't confuse you.

So I guess the real question is: who the fuck told you a KEY is only worth 1-2 reclaimed? If you heard that on a Trade server or similar server, all I can say is BEWARE OF SHYSTERS, CHARLATANS AND SCAMMERS. They often do things like tell you low values of your merchandise in order to get said items out of your hands for nothing. I've seen way too many stories of these shady people talking people out of their unusual hats by bathing them in cool weapons (which have no value by comparison). Or try to tell people their cool item (say a Rogue's Col Roule) was only worth 2 rec. Shit, just last night I saw a kid get talked out of a refined metal (a story I'll have to share for the lulz). The best way to protect yourself from such bullshit in the future is to have an idea of the value of what you're looking to buy or trade *before* you announce your presence or accept any trades. If people think they can bullshit you for more than something is worth, you can be damn sure they will.

Pro-tip: Never let anyone try to get you to trade your hats for weapons.

edit: and it's funny that you mentioned the "2 reclaimed = key" thing...because some moron tried to get me to give him my key for that yesterday evening. Not sure if he was hoping he'd run into a fool or if he really didn't know...but I kindly explained to him that he was about 5 reclaimed short.

Sorry for the verbose post. I've only been trading for a few days myself, but I think I've already seen all the tricks of the game. If you want to use those keys to open crates, it's certainly anyone's prerogative. It may make the game more fun to them to spend their keys being surprised. Just as long as people understand that with those same keys, they could be getting the hats they want without opening a single crate. Shit, just tonight I got a Planeswalker Helm (medic hat) for 2 refined and a Genuine Jannisary Ketche (spy hat) for 2 refined. Basically 1 key each (a little less), which was a bit below market value for both of tem. While the guy who opened the crates got a pair of weapons that are only valued at 1-2 refined a piece.

I opened 6 summer coolers and got 4 hats and 2 sunglasses. That doesn't seem so bad

yeoz

Mr_eX said:
I opened 6 summer coolers and got 4 hats and 2 sunglasses. That doesn't seem so bad
The problem is that you can trade for most of those items for less than a key would cost. Why pay/trade for a key when you can spend 1.33 to 2.33 refined for one of the summer crate hats you know you want, instead of a random chance at getting one you might not like (or getting the weapon reskins which now drop like regular items)?

edit: That said, I open crates sometimes anyway as I am a hopelessly degenerate gambler. Of course, I try not to pay for keys, and I get 5-10 refined metal a week from idlers which gets me plenty of keys to play with.

further edit: I've never unboxed an unusual, and I must have opened hundreds of crates. Every unusual I've had was obtained via trade.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
XeroSauce said:
Aka, easier to spam and get random kills, and make Scout/Spy completely ineffective.

The most balance remains at 24 players.

Only shit players depend on random kills, and should never be near the top.

And more made up shit, good scouts and spies can do very well with 32 players.

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:

Actually strange weapons go for a lot more than a scrap if you can get a decent one. The new crates make opening crates not so pointless and horrible.

Also I uncrated an unusual two days ago.. did I win or am I a sucker?

JackEtc

Man, whenever I play on Valve servers I kick total ass, and then whenever I play with GAF or Reddit, I get my ass kicked. I've played this game on and off for 3 years now, you think I'd be better :(

Sourtreats said:
I feel you, spy is my main and I usually end up playing pyro.

JackEtc said:
Man, whenever I play on Valve servers I kick total ass, and then whenever I play with GAF or Reddit, I get my ass kicked. I've played this game on and off for 3 years now, you think I'd be better :(
lol I hear ya. But Valve servers mostly attract the f2p crowd as I see it. GAF and Reddit servers also have people that have been playing for 3 years.

JackEtc

Rickenslacker said:
lol I hear ya. But Valve servers mostly attract the f2p crowd as I see it. GAF and Reddit servers also have people that have been playing for 3 years.
Yep, exactly. I usually stay to the F2P servers (just click "start playing" instead of browsing) and be a god.

derFeef said:
Exactly. He just returned to TF2 so I boosted him with some fashion! And hey, I got my third strange Flare Gun! :p

Are you looking for any other specific stranges? I have extra strange sandman, boston basher, grenade launcher and pain train.

derFeef

jaundicejuice said:
Are you looking for any other specific stranges? I have extra strange sandman, boston basher, grenade launcher and pain train.
I could use a grenade launcher! You want that flare gun?

Forkball

Wendel Clark said:
Wait, people would actually trade for crates? I have 19, 20, 21, 24 and 25. What're they good for, are they good at all?
People trade more for the strange weapon crates. They won't give much though, you will be lucky to get a scrap.

I usually just trade 8 crates for a single weapon. I'm not buying keys to open them all. They're pretty much useless so it's almost like giving them away.

Dechaios said:
Actually strange weapons go for a lot more than a scrap if you can get a decent one. The new crates make opening crates not so pointless and horrible.

Also I uncrated an unusual two days ago.. did I win or am I a sucker?
1.) You were a lucky sucker. No more and no less than that. You should be more than capable of acknowledging that basic truth, as you certainly aren't special, nor did you do anything special. As I said before, there are always outliers and you could get an usual in your first handful of crates opened. OR...you could be one of the typical people who have confessed (even in this very thread) to have opened 50-100 crates and received no unusuals for their trouble. Your one crate victory should be your signal to stop opening crates. Again, if you enjoy < 1% gambles, by all means continue...but understand that Las Vegas games have better odds than that. You happening upon an unusual is not grounds to suggest everyone should open their crates too. That's foolishness.

2.) the only strange weapon valued at more than a key is a Strange Scattergun. Everything else is going for less than a key. And most significantly less (1-2 rec). They were special for all of about 5 days. Lol. The point I was making was simple:if you open a crate and get something worth less than 2.33ref, you took a loss. And yes, the great majority of things you will find in a crate are worth less than 2.33 ref.

3.) To the other guy mentioning summer crates: the Summer crates mostly contained hats and accessories. There were a few weapons, but not many. So the fact that you found hats and accessories is...kinda meaningless on it's own. Instead, go find out the current value of those hats and accessories. Hint: only 1 Summer item remains valued at above the cost of the key. The rest are going for half a key or less. So yes, a week later, you could have bought the summer items you actually like (if any) at a rate of 2/key. And Strange weapons at 3-5/key, depending on the Strange weapon.

So again: if you just enjoy the gambling and being suprised at the end, by all means enjoy yourselves. People enjoy the lottery with no expectation of winning (though those odds are much longer) week in and week out. But understand that your odds of "winning" something worth more than the value of the crate key itself is probably around 0.7%. And the odds of winning an Unusual *that you actually like* (that is, not flies, hearts, logos, peace signs, confetti, or any other bullshit lame effects) is probably even lower still. Maybe Dechaios only opened 10 crates lifetime, which makes him quite lucky. Maybe he opened 50 ($100+) in which case he probably could have bought his hat outright for less. If you want to play the crate game, play it for the thrill...just don't expect to win anything equivalent to the cost of the key. Better to use the keys to get all the hats you want first via trading...then after you have all the hats you want, you can think about your options.

Grinchy

Banned
Although I personally will sell any keys I have for metal, I don't really think there's anything wrong with people opening crates if that's what they like to do. People will sit in front of a slot machine for hours pumping money into it just because of that thrill of what may happen.

Sure, some people see that as not "winning" but if that's how a person wants to spend his time/money, then more power to him, right? (Plus, people who want keys are very useful for those of us who want to sell keys. Why start convincing our customers to go away?)

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:
rant about lottery

A couple things-- I have bought many, many keys over the course of my TF2 career, since the very first crates were out there. At the most, probably 5-10 keys for winter or summer crates, and at the least 1 or 2 for every series # crate. You can call me lucky but the fact of the matter is I had many attempts, and even something with a 1% chance is likely to happen at some point in time if you keep trying as opposed to trying once or twice.

The other thing I have to mention is I just traded a strange pistol for a refined yesterday- that's not bad! Even if you don't get the full 2.3 refined for your key, you still get a chance at an unusual or hat + either a strange weapon or a little bit of a metal from trading the strange weapon. Also I just traded a strange boston basher for a hat as well. So even if things have a certain value, it still isn't hard to find somebody willing to pay a little more for a specific item they happen to be looking for. I'd say a marginal chance at unusual + 1 refined(or a hat)>2.3 refined, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom