• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ word. If you feel the risk is worth the potential reward, by all means roll the dice. Intend to think that long odds only benefit the people running the lottery. You probably have all the normal hats you want anyway, so it make make a little more sense for you.

Grinchy said:
Although I personally will sell any keys I have for metal, I don't really think there's anything wrong with people opening crates if that's what they like to do. People will sit in front of a slot machine for hours pumping money into it just because of that thrill of what may happen.

Sure, some people see that as not "winning" but if that's how a person wants to spend his time/money, then more power to him, right? (Plus, people who want keys are very useful for those of us who want to sell keys. Why start convincing our customers to go away?)
I agree and have said as much.

Just as long as people understand the likelihood of getting something worth more than they key they spent is very low. My big thing is that if there are still hats out there you want, you should trade them with the keys/metal until you have all the hats you want. You will spend less and have exactly what you want. After that, knock yourself out. If you're opening a crate to get a specific normal/strange hat or weapon, you're doing it wrong. If you're doing it to get a strange hat, I wish you good luck because that's a tough road to walk down. But spending $2.50 on a chance may be more palatable than spending $50 all at once.

Do what makes you happy. I just want people to know what they're getting into and what their best options for getting what they want are. That's all.

I'll also say this: I'd probably rather chance $2.50 than spend a year wasting life time to build up enough hats/buds/whatever to trade for an unusual. Fuck that!

DarkKyo

Dreams-Visions said:
Do what makes you happy. I just want people to know what they're getting into and what their best options for getting what they want are. That's all.
That's cool. Opening crates is definitely not for the casual player I would say.

In fact if they hadn't changed the crates to strange weapon crates I would have stopped participating in that money pit all together. The strange weapons are cool because there are still a bunch I want and when you open the crates and don't get the one you're looking for you can usually find someone willing to trade their strange weapon for yours.

The old crates just fucking suck. $2.50 for an Equalizer. *shudder*

Sibylus

Banned
Dechaios said:
A couple things-- I have bought many, many keys over the course of my TF2 career, since the very first crates were out there. You can call me lucky but the fact of the matter is I had many attempts, and even something with a 1% chance is likely to happen at some point in time if you keep trying as opposed to trying once or twice.
Yes, and for the average person that's somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred keys. Whether that burns money or time, it's a losing proposition for most people. That RNG will never "warm up" and they'll never be "due" for a win. If they go in anticipating a loss and account for many of them, then they at least have a grasp of the stakes :p

DarkKyo

Botolf said:
Yes, and for the average person that's somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred keys. Whether that burns money or time, it's a losing proposition for most people. That RNG will never "warm up" and they'll never be "due" for a win. If they go in anticipating a loss and account for many of them, then they at least have a grasp of the stakes :p
It's fun to open them here and there if you've got money to burn. Money is just money. Not saying I have a lot but I play TF2 almost everyday and enjoy it enough to warrant spending green here and there on it.

But yeah like someone else said you're probably better off just throwing bigger chunks of cash at unusual traders for something you want anyways.

If anyone has a strange Rocket Launcher, Scattergun, or Backburner

I have a Strange Kunai, Flamethrower, and a nice hat to trade.

And a bunch of other stuff but its not good.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Dechaios said:
That's cool. Opening crates is definitely not for the casual player I would say.

In fact if they hadn't changed the crates to strange weapon crates I would have stopped participating in that money pit all together. The strange weapons are cool because there are still a bunch I want and when you open the crates and don't get the one you're looking for you can usually find someone willing to trade their strange weapon for yours.

The old crates just fucking suck. $2.50 for an Equalizer. *shudder*

Yah, I have like 12 old crates that I wont bother opening. Ill open new crates since strange weapons are usually at least worth *something* and I dont mind throwing money valves way, but Im not gonna touch the older ones. Not sure what to do with them tbh.

Grinchy

Banned
My first foray into key buying led me to purchase 4 keys and open up old crates. I didn't know anything about the crates or whether old ones were useless, ect. I got 2 hats and a couple weapons. Went ok. But it was still $10 spent on shit. The only other time I used 4 keys at once, I got 4 paints lol.

DarkKyo

Zerokku said:
Yah, I have like 12 old crates that I wont bother opening. Ill open new crates since strange weapons are usually at least worth *something* and I dont mind throwing money valves way, but Im not gonna touch the older ones. Not sure what to do with them tbh.
I have like 60 old crates sitting on an alt account. Maybe someday someone will take them off my hands for a couple scraps or something :p

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Dechaios said:
I have like 60 old crates sitting on an alt account. Maybe someday someone will take them off my hands for a couple scraps or something :p

Yah, if anyones interested in some old crates, I'll trade em all for a single scrap. I just want them out of my backpack :p

thefil

Zerokku said:

I've spent $50 on crates this year. Overall I'd say it was worth it, but only because it took me from item-poor to item-rich. Definitely going to stop now.

Acerac

Banned
Very interesting decision, and has made my decision on how to invest in the game in the future much more clear... that being that I am no gambler, and that I am rewarded for taking the safe way out! Awesome!

That being said, good luck to all those who open the crates. The more unusuals you unbox the easier they'll be to trade for. ;)

All this trade talk just reminds me of how impossible it is to trade on TF2TP right now. Everybody's way too cheap, constantly badmouthing your items (or genius declarations like "the value on that's going to go down!" Gee... really? Well I guess I'd better give it to you for cheaper now!), expecting you to give away things at half or less value, and if there's something in the description that they can misinterpret to offer a stupid or cheap trade, they'll do that.

But write too much clarification in the description, and they just skip over your trade too.

I'm really not getting trades done anymore, just sorting through crap offers and people throwing shit at the wall, hoping it sticks beyond any reason.

Grinchy

Banned
Kulock said:
All this trade talk just reminds me of how impossible it is to trade on TF2TP right now. Everybody's way too cheap, constantly badmouthing your items (or genius declarations like "the value on that's going to go down!" Gee... really? Well I guess I'd better give it to you for cheaper now!), expecting you to give away things at half or less value, and if there's something in the description that they can misinterpret to offer a stupid or cheap trade, they'll do that.

But write too much clarification in the description, and they just skip over your trade too.

I'm really not getting trades done anymore, just sorting through crap offers and people throwing shit at the wall, hoping it sticks beyond any reason.
I haven't had to use it for a week or 2, but I've had great luck with TF2TP so far. I put the exact trade that I want, and I purposely mention not to bother me with other trades. I may not hear anything back on my propsed trade, so I go one step further.

I go through the search and find the item I'm looking for in other people's trades. If they are not specific about what they want, and just put "offers" in the wishlist, I will offer something that is a relatively even trade but more in my favor. For my Defiant Spartan, I had made probably 20 offers to random people. Most of them will decline you right away but they can't get mad because they were not specific in their proposed trade. I think I got my spartan for something worth around 2 ref.

yeoz said:
The problem is that you can trade for most of those items for less than a key would cost. Why pay/trade for a key when you can spend 1.33 to 2.33 refined for one of the summer crate hats you know you want, instead of a random chance at getting one you might not like (or getting the weapon reskins which now drop like regular items)?

edit: That said, I open crates sometimes anyway as I am a hopelessly degenerate gambler. Of course, I try not to pay for keys, and I get 5-10 refined metal a week from idlers which gets me plenty of keys to play with.

further edit: I've never unboxed an unusual, and I must have opened hundreds of crates. Every unusual I've had was obtained via trade.
me boxing my 1 crappy unusual from the 10-15 keys i grabbed from the leftover wallet money from the summer sale... was enough to get me over that high of opening crates. Idling for metal to trade up to more valuable things is the way to go my friend.

The sooner the rest of you realize this, the better off your wallet will be in the long run, that's if you're into TF2 for the long run.

So how do I go about setting up an alt? I just make a new steam account but then how do I get it so I don't download all of TF2 again in a seperate area on my HD. I don't have room for another copy of it.

SteveWinwood said:
So how do I go about setting up an alt? I just make a new steam account but then how do I get it so I don't download all of TF2 again in a seperate area on my HD. I don't have room for another copy of it.
Check this post.

Cuban Legend said:
finally someone is explaining all this so the new players can understand the Mann-Conomy better.

Speaking of which, I've had these bookmarked in a [TF2] folder on my web browser's bookmarks toolbar for so long I feel the need to share them for the educational benefit of all here, new or old to TF2.I recommend this should be in the OP...

Useful TF2 Links

Trading:
TF2 Items & Hats Pricing Spreadsheet (TF2 Items/Hats Pricing in ingame Metal)
TF2b.com (Popular TF2 Backpack Checker: shows queued item drops)
TF2items.com (also popular backpack checker)
SourceOP.com/TRADING_FORUMS (TF2 Item info/trading/buying forum)
TF2tp.com (TF2 Trading Post - Popular TF2 Item Trading website)
TF2items.com/TRADING (alternate item trading site)

Item Crafting/Collecting:
TF2crafting.info (analyzes your backpack & figures out crafting possibilities in a TF2 account)
WILLitCRAFT.com (alternate TF2 crafting analyzer)[/URL]
TF2items.com/CRAFTING (Displays all possible Crafting Blueprints)
TF2LS.com.com (Displays your missing items/hats from each class)

Unusual Items websites:
uHATSEARCH.appspot.com/search/ (TF2 Unusual Hats Searcher)
uHAT pricing thread
uHAT Trading/Discussion Thread @Facepunch.

Oh and lets not forget the medicine for the itch: Crate Simulator (get rid of the urge, open crates to your hearts content!)

Idling:
WIKI: What is Idling?
TF2 Idle farm Setup Tutorial/Discussion Thread @Facepunch

yeoz

This was on the hlds_linux mailing list, and seems like quite the change, and hopefully for the better:
Hi all, a heads up to TF2 and CS:S server operators -

A near-future update (not necessarily the next one) will change the way that framerate is handled in the dedicated server. All users, especially those with very low pings, should receive a smoother gameplay experience with less jitter and more consistent-feeling latency.

Another effect of these changes is that all Orange Box (TF2, CS:S, etc) dedicated servers will run with a locked framerate, similar to L4D/L4D2. The fps_max convar will not have any effect on servers. (It remains as a client option since limiting your FPS can reduce GPU heat and overall power consumption.)

Although we don't normally give notice before updates, this is a potentially disruptive change for the server rental market, so those who currently charge premiums for "higher framerates" should probably start considering their options now.

I just traded one key for a Demo's Reggaelator and Medic's Blighted Beak.

Good deal? or bad deal? I SO CONFUSE.

I play a ton of demo and Medic si for me, Good Deal.

Pookaki said:

Damn, I saw those Reggaelator's going for around 4-5 refined the other day. I really want one for my demo.

DarkKyo

Pookaki said:

That's a good deal bro, at least in my eyes!

With the economy, there is so much to take in. I'm just beginning to wrap my head around it. Thanks to Cuban_legend and all the other gaffers for posting links to trading resources.

This is intense.

Fox318

Cuban Legend said:
Don't forget http://kritz.me/

contact bcpk on reddit for info

Reddit /r/tf2 - http://kritz.me/r
VanillaTV stream - http://kritz.me/tv
VanillaTF2 - http://kritz.me/v
eXtv stream - http://kritz.me/extv
MGE stream - http://kritz.me/mge
Martndemus stream - http://kritz.me/martn
Ariekanarie stream - http://kritz.me/arie
Longas stream http://kritz.me/gl
Comedian stream http://kritz.me/ptv
ViQun youtube http://kritz.me/qun
PVHUD OZfortress thread - http://kritz.me/pvhud
Communitytf2 HUD - http://kritz.me/hud
Team Fortress wiki - http://kritz.me/wiki
Doublejump TF2 video index - http://kritz.me/vid

Yeef

yeoz said:
This was on the hlds_linux mailing list, and seems like quite the change, and hopefully for the better:
They had already mentioned plans for that a month or so ago (as I'm sure you know, since you follow the list). Surprised that they've started working on it so soon considering their track record.

Acerac

Banned
Ooh, sexy new weapons!

*edit*

...for those attending comic con!

Fuck!

*edit 2*

Also available as drops! Perhaps I should read fine print!

*edit 3*

The cow mangler seems... really strong? If you don't need to reload as a soldier heavies might have some competition as go to guy for ubers...

It says every item is available in loot drops, crafting and in the mann co store. I dont think its just for comic con.

I bet people at comic con will have an unlock code or something like that.

Edit: beaten!

Update:

Added the items for Dr. Grordbort's Victory Pack
Fixed hatless hats not working correctly
Fixed a display issue with team color paints
Updated the localization files

Jesus. £20 for the Set.
Lord Cockswains Pith Helmet- £7.99
The Cow Mangler 5000- £7.99
The Rightous Bison- £5.99
The Mutton Chops and Pipe- £3.50

If you buy the set you get the badge.

Cowmangler - Reclaimed + Blackbox
Rightous Bison - Reclaimed + Batilions Backpack

Gunna make a guess and say you can craft the hat and misc with 4 refined + set weapon.

Yeef

Sciz said:
Good Dustbowl game going, for once.

Until the server went down. D:<
There's no such thing as a good dustbowl game. And if I waited til the server to empty before doing the update it'd be next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom