• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
none. save them until they are trade-able then get metal or the hats you want for them.

edit: too fucking late. you spent the equivalent of 4.66 refined metal (4 refined, 2 reclaimed) on items worth 1-2 reclaimed these days.

Just remember for future reference. you could have bought both of those weapons and still have 4 refined left over to buy 2 or 3 really nice hats and any missing weapons you wanted.

:-(
I was about to open a crate... then I read this!

I guess it was lucky that I didn't have ANY of the 20s I wanted to open. Tons of all the other new ones however.

So yeah, wait til they are tradable then find a trading server on the server list?

XeroSauce

giancarlo123x said:
Sorry, already traded it to Whoreoleo. If I stumble upon another one later Ill cut a deal with you.

Darn, thanks anyways.

I'm looking for a few Strange weapons if anyone here is interested. Sticky Launcher, Minigun, Kunai, etc.

Acerac said:
I was about to open a crate... then I read this!

I guess it was lucky that I didn't have ANY of the 20s I wanted to open. Tons of all the other new ones however.

So yeah, wait til they are tradable then find a trading server on the server list?
I offer you:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2002938

it's worth your time. It will offer you some perspective. Do what you will...after all, it's your money. You may enjoy the gamble and you could certainly get lucky...but it's far more likely you end up with something worth only a fraction of the money (in metal) invested.

Just keep in mind, keys are worth about 2 refined + 1 reclaimed if traded in for metal. With that, about 70% of hats can be purchased outright, without risk.

And weapons are typically only 1-2 scrap, or 1/3 - 2/3 of a single reclaimed metal. In other words, with a single refined metal, you can get anywhere from 5-9 of the weapons you might want. And closer to 9 these days.

So you really just need to ask yourself why you're opening the crate.

1.) If it's in hopes of getting a good hat, the reality is that with 1 key you can get most hats, and with 2 keys, you can get about 90% of hats. If it's in hopes of getting a particular strange weapon...you can likely buy it on the market for 2 rec - 1 ref or less...leaving you with at least 1 refined to spend on anything else you want.

2.) If your goal is in hopes of getting that extra-awesome scorching/sunbeams/whatever Unusual hat...you only have a 1% chance of getting an unusual of any kind. Then there are 12 different kinds of unusuals you could end up with. No, it probably won't be as fun spending $30 and buying one you really like with the effect you want outright...but it would be the wisest. Because chances are you'll spend well over $100 on keys...and you could still end up with an unusual you don't like that's worth less than you spent to get it in keys.

There are always outliers...people who get lucky on their first try. Then again, there are also people who hit the lotto on their first try...but there are many more who've played the lotto weekly for 20 years and never won more than $20.

This link:

Really can't be posted enough.

parasight

Yeef said:
It was a limited time offer during the treasure hunt sale just as the summer shades were a limited time offer for the summer sale. Why would you try to get a bounty hunt now?

I was just wondering why I never got the hat. I was on vacation when the whole sale happened so I wasn't able to check regularly. I wasn't too into it at the time so I didn't bother to make a fuss about it. Just came up in my head when I started browsing Wiki.

On a separate note, does anyone know why Trades and Crafts aren't appearing in my chat? Is there an option to toggle it on/off? I can't seem to find it.

As for crate opening. I think opening them when they've got new items inside (like the most recent Strange weapons) is worth it if you do it right as they are released. People were able to sell the items for profit or at least make up the cost of the key. That's what I plan on saving my keys for anyways.

Grinchy

Banned
Out of curiosity, does anyone play TF2 with an MX518? (it's a mouse)

I use around 2.50 - 2.87 in-game sensitivity. At 1600dpi, it moves way too fast. At 800dpi, it's like it doesn't move at all. I'm trying not to install setpoint, but I will if someone has a custom dpi they trust. I will find some time to mess with it on my own, I'm just seeing if anyone has a starting point for me.

Grinchy said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone play TF2 with an MX518? (it's a mouse)

I use around 2.50 - 2.87 in-game sensitivity. At 1600dpi, it moves way too fast. At 800dpi, it's like it doesn't move at all. I'm trying not to install setpoint, but I will if someone has a custom dpi they trust. I will find some time to mess with it on my own, I'm just seeing if anyone has a starting point for me.
What resolution do you use? I'm at 1920x1080 and I'm using an MX518, I try to keep my mouse settings consistent throughout my desktop and game use, so I have it at 800dpi and 3 in-game sensitivity (6/11 in the Windows mouse sensitivity). I don't use higher than 800 because otherwise it makes desktop movement waaay too sensitive.

Acerac

Banned
Thanks for the write-up, it'll be very useful to me, especially since I prefer a safe bet when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Now, to find a good way to trade. I suppose going to random trade servers with an idea of prices should find me items fairly quickly?

Grinchy

Banned
Rickenslacker said:
What resolution do you use? I'm at 1920x1080 and I'm using an MX518, I try to keep my mouse settings consistent throughout my desktop and game use, so I have it at 800dpi and 3 in-game sensitivity (6/11 in the Windows mouse sensitivity). I don't use higher than 800 because otherwise it makes desktop movement waaay too sensitive.

I'm using 1200p resolution. I actually do find myself switching back to 800dpi when I'm just in Windows. It's so nice that you just press a button on the mouse to switch dpis! I love that.

Maybe I should try for 800dpi with higher IG sens. I'm not sure if I even tried that out yet. Thanks for the response.

parasight

Acerac said:
Thanks for the write-up, it'll be very useful to me, especially since I prefer a safe bet when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Now, to find a good way to trade. I suppose going to random trade servers with an idea of prices should find me items fairly quickly?

Trade servers or www.tf2tp.com

Just use the search feature and you should find a reasonable price amidst the scalpers.

Bakphoon

Dreams-Visions said:
none. save them until they are trade-able then get metal or the hats you want for them.

edit: too fucking late. you spent the equivalent of 4.66 refined metal (4 refined, 2 reclaimed) on items worth 1-2 reclaimed these days.

Just remember for future reference. you could have bought both of those weapons and still have 4 refined left over to buy 2 or 3 really nice hats and any missing weapons you wanted.

:-(

Thank you, now I (hopefully) won't repeat that mistake again.

^ Hey it's all good. We all have dipped a few times and learned the hard way. If you're going to buy keys, buy them with the intention of trading them for what you really want, rather than for opening crates.

parasight said:

Just use the search feature and you should find a reasonable price amidst the scalpers.
good advice. those people are fairly responsive. I've gotten a few hats by trading keys (or equivalent metal) that I almost spent on crates trying to get. Then I had the epiphany. That little flash app was just the confirmation for me.

If for nothing else, it can help you figure out roughly how much you should be paying (in metal or keys) for a particular hat.

Acerac

Banned
parasight said:

This is pretty sweet. I should be able to get both the rocket launcher and the minigun with the key I was going to use hoping for either, and perhaps have a bit of change left over.

If I wasn't so picky on which weapons I got I'd totally be able to clean up. Even getting all the items I want my main classes should be able to get some kill counters. :)

Acerac said:
This is pretty sweet. I should be able to get both the rocket launcher and the minigun with the key I was going to use hoping for either, and perhaps have a bit of change left over.
yes, you will be able to. you just have to wait until the key becomes tradeable in a day or 2.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I've sold my last 2 keys, and I have $2.51 remaining in my Steam wallet. I definitely feel similarly to Dreams right now. Trading them for something you want just seems to make more sense. I'm just hoping the key value doesn't come down as more people jump on that bandwagon.

I actually traded someone a key for a Rogue's Col Roule. I don't know what he was thinking. He probably got something crappy from his crate.

Yeef

There was an update to hlstats, so I updated. Also, there was something wonky going on with the database, which was why some people were still seeing notifications by default. it should be fixed now and all notifications should be off for everyone now. If, for some crazy reason, you want to turn them back on just type hlx in chat then go to console commands.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I have a friend who has spent like $50 on keys and got jack shit in return. On the bright side, I nabbed 3 idle accounts because keys are cheaper in America than Britain.

Grinchy said:
I actually traded someone a key for a Rogue's Col Roule. I don't know what he was thinking. He probably got something crappy from his crate.
I got one for 2 ref too from just hanging around trade servers. all I could do was smile. He offered and I guess I was the first to activate the trade window. :)

Also go an Unusual Horseman Axe for 2 ref and a junk Strange weap. I'm pretty sure that at this point, I've found every hat I really wanted. I'm not sure if I should keep my remaining keys as keys, buy some hats or convert them to metal.

I'm just not sure which format will hold their value better.

Acerac

Banned
One last question since everyone has been so kind. Is there a site that has general amounts each item is worth? Most things I figure I should be able to figure out with that site I was given earlier and estimations of who is being greedy, but a few things I was looking for aren't listed on the site at all.

I believe a site was mentioned a while back in this thread, but my ctrl+f skills have been unable to locate it.

Acerac said:
One last question since everyone has been so kind. Is there a site that has general amounts each item is worth? Most things I figure I should be able to figure out with that site I was given earlier and estimations of who is being greedy, but a few things I was looking for aren't listed on the site at all.

I believe a site was mentioned a while back in this thread, but my ctrl+f skills have been unable to locate it.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...cPdDZZVllaelBuaFlRdUE4YUQ3VFFuTXc&hl=en&gid=0

you'll find everything but strange weapons here. strange weapons typically go for anywhere from 1 rec - 1 ref, depending on the weapon...but their value is dropping fast.

to get a rough idea, just use that tf2tp.com link posted earlier. search the item you're interested in buying/selling and get an approximate idea of what others are charging.

XeroSauce

Acerac said:

If you have Google Docs...or internet, here: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0AtNiAB1uGacPdDZZVllaelBuaFlRdUE4YUQ3VFFuTXc&toomany=true

Pookaki said:
How many keys for a pair of buds? I have yet to buy a key but I have been trading metal/items for keys and I REALLY want some buds!

Above. It's about 10-13 keys.

finally someone is explaining all this so the new players can understand the Mann-Conomy better.

Speaking of which, I've had these bookmarked in a [TF2] folder on my web browser's bookmarks toolbar for so long I feel the need to share them for the educational benefit of all here, new or old to TF2.I recommend this should be in the OP...

Useful TF2 Links

Trading:
TF2 Items & Hats Pricing Spreadsheet (TF2 Items/Hats Pricing in ingame Metal)
TF2b.com (Popular TF2 Backpack Checker: shows queued item drops)
TF2items.com (also popular backpack checker)
SourceOP.com/TRADING_FORUMS (TF2 Item info/trading/buying forum)
TF2tp.com (TF2 Trading Post - Popular TF2 Item Trading website)
TF2items.com/TRADING (alternate item trading site)

Item Crafting/Collecting:
TF2crafting.info (analyzes your backpack & figures out crafting possibilities in a TF2 account)
WILLitCRAFT.com (alternate TF2 crafting analyzer)[/URL]
TF2items.com/CRAFTING (Displays all possible Crafting Blueprints)
TF2LS.com.com (Displays your missing items/hats from each class)

Unusual Items websites:
uHATSEARCH.appspot.com/search/ (TF2 Unusual Hats Searcher)
uHAT pricing thread
uHAT Trading/Discussion Thread @Facepunch.

Oh and lets not forget the medicine for the itch: Crate Simulator (get rid of the urge, open crates to your hearts content!)

Idling:
WIKI: What is Idling?
TF2 Idle farm Setup Tutorial/Discussion Thread @Facepunch

Acerac

Banned
Favorited. Thanks guys.

I didn't realize that vintage weapons are so cheap. I may go wild on them after I get the strange weapons I need. No reason not to at one scrap apiece.

Clydefrog said:
Trade Hattress

Hell yeah Team Fortress 2 the world's #1 war themed hat simulator!

barnone

My team paint soldier hat and my gentlemann medal dont show up properly. Hat is stuck on red, medal doesnt show up at all. Any way to fix this, been like this for a month+

Chavelo said:
You typed the url for TF2B.com wrong in there... got some weird tf2items website. :3
both can be used, tf2items is headed by the sourceOP guy and also has a trading system built in. It's free backpack checker just isnt as fully featured as the tf2b one, though I'm sure it's paid "Premium" Backpack checker it on par or better than the tf2b one everyone is using recently. :3

OPTF2.com is also a great backback checker.

Welp, finally sold my Unusual Western Wear for $140. Feels good to finally be rid of the damn thing, I honestly don't know why people devote their lives to collecting/scamming/selling these things...I couldn't care less if your hat's on fire, all that matters is that I'm atop those leaderboards at the end of a round =)

DarkKyo

http://uppix.net/b/0/d/81e39ec74c931a6ce37b6d9788f61.jpg

Damn, hope that set gets in. Pretty badass...

24FrameDaVinci said:
Welp, finally sold my Unusual Western Wear for $140. Feels good to finally be rid of the damn thing, I honestly don't know why people devote their lives to collecting/scamming/selling these things...I couldn't care less if your hat's on fire, all that matters is that I'm atop those leaderboards at the end of a round =)

Because you can make $140 off of a non-existent item?

Dug

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Oh god what is going on.
b5BKS.gif

[Maybe it's going to be like the uber update where they teased the stuff (I.E. doves) and then have the update a month later?]

barnone

Anyone have a strange rocket launcher? I'd be willing to trade a strange revolver + a reclaimed or something. That's fair right?

edit: trade completed for my strange rocket. still willing to trade s. revolver for scattergun or knife or something else =)

corn_fest

So, does anyone know if the Mystery Item is craftable via tokens? I'm guessing not, but it's pretty strange they would add a clearly unfinished weapon to the schema already but give it an actual name.

corn_fest

Exuro said:
So we have another update coming soon? I'm on 2Fort staring at this giant rocket that crashed into a barn off the map.
Very likely. The rockets + this new item + the new items in the F2P teaser seem to point to it, plus I'm sure they want to give new players a taste of the way TF2 recieves huge updates. Also, a bunch of things from the STS leak from months ago still haven't been released, notably Raid and Specialty modes, some weapons like the Goal Keeper for Heavy, and weapon isotopes.

Speaking of stranges: I've got a strange Ambassador, Eyelander, and Chargin' Targe. I'm looking for a strange Minigun and Shotgun, or the metal required to buy them (it seems stranges get less and less valuable by the day).

yeoz

Hello yeoz, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Your account is not VAC banned, nor is it scheduled to be VAC banned. VAC bans only occur when cheats are used in a multiplayer game. If this cheat application was unrelated to Steam or Steam games, there is nothing to worry about. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
Thank god. I was worried sick. (please don't ask. though you can shoot me an IM if you want)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
To those waiting for spots in the server, I usually try to get the invites out around 7-8 before the 8 pm rush. If you want another time, ask someone to send the invite and it should fill up. It generally takes 20 - 30 min to get a decent crowd in there.

Then ICANONLYPLAYDEMOTIME joins and it's all downhill... :D

Grimm Fandango said:
Man I can never find a spot nowadays. I was waiting for 20 minutes and nothing.
that server needs to move to a sixcore AMD box with 6 gb of DDR3 and an SSD. it shouldn't cost too much and should be laser fast, fast enough for 32 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom