• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
EmCeeGramr said:
valve opens up two more rockets tomorrow, and it's a laser sentry gun, a flame-based secondary weapon, a new type of dispenser, a grenade launcher and sticky launcher, and a steampunk eyepatch

all for the soldier, of course

You're forgetting the invisibility cloak and swiss army knife.

Also add me as another person that thinks the new weapons don't fit in with the whole TF2 artstyle (even worse than some of the hats). Yes the whole game was an anachronism, but the weapons were either explosives, bullets, arrows, blunt/sharp objects or fire. Now it is fucking lasers. It looks so out of place in my opinion.

Like, I think 1950s rayguns could easily fit in TF2's style, but the models are so overdetailed and drab looking and the projectiles too cluttered (thankfully Greenmarine said they're going to be putting out a patch maybe tomorrow to fix the laser trail and beef up the noise so you can actually follow it and tell when it hits)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Is it kosher to raise your hand in advance for spare comic con codes? If so, my hand is raised.

If not, I was waving at someone behind you, you don't know them.

Milabrega

To add to the growing list of complaints about this update:

The new death effects remain on screen for too long as well, too much of my screen space if blackened out bodies.

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:
Probably (almost definitely) not but it'd be funny if there were.

Seriously I think this is the first TF2 update that is almost universally mediocre or just plain bad.

-The models look out of place Opinion
-The aesthetic, if it did work, would fit the Engie more than the Soldier, who already has the most weapons and sets Opinion about aesthetic, but agree on soldier having too much gear
-The disintegration effect is literally ripped out of HL2 but with red and blue colors on it They also use that effect in the original Portal if I'm not mistaken... also, it's similar to the effect used for Your Eternal Reward kills.. so whats the problem here?
-The laser projectiles are hard to make out and clutter the screen and aren't loud enough The laser projectiles are the most vivid thing on the battlefield at the moment! You'd have to be blind not to see them
-The new rocket launcher has no real downside at all in exchange for getting one extra rocket, extra damage, infinite ammo, and the ability to minicrit, disable buildings, and set people on fire at will in a single shot Less damage to buildings, only disables turrets
-The beard Misc looks even worse than the Camera Beard (it's like confetti or torn newspaper) Opinion
-The new taunt is horrendously ugly and poorly done Opinion
-Everything is poorly optimized and framerates are dropping
-Servers are crashing

Mostly opinions...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
How do I get TF2 to play all of its audio through my headset? I can hear voice from people through it, but the game audio plays through my laptop (running Windows 7).

Acerac

Banned
I'm pretty sure after Max's Head was created almost anything, including space weapons and newspaper clipping beards, should never be considered more odd than the rest of the items in the TF2 universe.

That was how many years ago?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I actually didn't think about being able to hit engies directly behind sentries with the secondary weapon replacement for the soldier until I saw that video. Huh.

Sciz

Not sure how I feel about laser soldier yet. The charge shot is fun, but it's so big and flashy that it only ever impacts the unaware or unlucky. No crockets whatsoever kind of bites. Engineer buildings are impossible to deal with personally, and while the sentry stun is nice, a demo could destroy it outright in the same amount of time with less risk. Pistol seems too situational to replace the shotgun.

Acerac said:
I'm pretty sure after Max's Head was created almost anything, including space weapons and newspaper clipping beards, should never be considered more odd than the rest of the items in the TF2 universe.

That was how many years ago?
One.

Blizzard

Banned
Sciz said:
Not sure how I feel about laser soldier yet. The charge shot is fun, but it's so big and flashy that it only ever impacts the unaware or unlucky. No crockets whatsoever kind of bites. Engineer buildings are impossible to deal with personally, and while the sentry stun is nice, a demo could destroy it outright in the same amount of time with less risk. Pistol seems too situational to replace the shotgun.
I think I agree with this. I finally came to the conclusion that I was just absolutely terrible with soldier in general tonight, not merely raygun soldier, but I do feel like the raygun "feels" weird and a little slower, plus the super bright shots that are even for people to avoid.

I think my opinion about the aesthetic is that the guns would fit in with 50s scifi or Fallout 3 style or whatever, but the laserbeams and projectiles are more out of place if that makes sense.

Dechaios said:
Mostly opinions...
Yeah, they use the effect in the original Portal, and it's lazy twice over. And no, it's not like the Eternal Reward effect at all. They could have used an effect like that or like the teleportation effect, but instead used a stock HL2 effect that's 7 years old and that ancient server mods for CS:S have been using for years.

My statement about the projectile had nothing to do with it being hard to see (as in, hard to tell they're being fired). In fact, that's literally the opposite of what I said. Good job on somehow misinterpreting it. Greenmarine also acknowledged that it's a bug, showing that Valve apparently agrees with me here!

The new taunt IS weightless and awkward, which is pretty much Bad Animation 101.

The new beard DOES look like paper and not like hair, and because of its high contrast white this is more apparent than on an unpainted black camera beard.

Less damage to buildings and "only effects turrets" is not an appreciable downside compared to the ability to slaughter other players with no real downside at all. It's like Valve's terrible "NO RANDOM CRITS IS A DOWNSIDE" period of design.

Update in a nutshell:

zDwXn.gif

yDSvj.gif

Shamelessly stolen from reddit

I think the style they're going for could work really well in the tf2 universe... they just need to make the damn blasts take up less screen real estate. I think the pistol looks perfect... maybe a little tweaking on the rocket to make it look a little less, I don't know. It's hard to put my finger on it. It just looks a little wrong.

Forkball

Fun times tonight with the custom maps. They were a bit goofy, but it's fun to try them out every now and then.

I agree about the new soldier weapons, they seem to be a bit too gaudy and detailed. A lot of people wanted some retro Flash Gordon-esque sci fi weapons, but I think they kind of over did it. I want something more akin to this:

channel_changer_raygun.jpg

istockphoto_6596231-ray-gun.jpg

I still don't know what Dr. Grordbort is. Is it a movie? Comic? Game? The site doesn't really explain it. Or do they just make model ray guns?

And I highly doubt we will get two more updates. Yeah, it kind of makes sense because there were three rockets so they could upload a new pack on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, but the real reason they updated today is because Comic-Con is on Thursday, so they couldn't update it after that. Plus it would be weird to get a Genuine Soldier pistol but nothing else. We could have gotten this for the Engy but noooo Solly needs more weapons.

qzECj.jpg

gc01.jpg

The thought of space TF2 had me kinda excited. I thought maybe it would be like Dick Tracy's space period, y'know? A nuttyyet really awesome departure. But everything EmCee says is right. This update is kinda lame. Those rockets are wrecking my framerate and the new items are way over-designed. Even with all the crazy additions TF2 retains a relatively restrained look, but these are far more ornate than previous items. You can tell they were designed by film folk who aren't used to working within limitations. The weapons would be much more attractive if they were simplified a bit, and the muttonchops would be much more attractive if they didn't look like fucking confetti. I want good muttonchops. :(

Also whoever draws these TF2 comics should try actually reading and studying comics, because almost every joke is sabotaged thanks to the artist's terrible layouts. It baffles me how Valve can make such entertaining promo videos but their comics are so damn amateurish. Yeah, the drawings are fine, but the storytelling is garbage, and that's what really matters.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was slow and there are more people who share my opinion. All the images above have more attractive ray guns than this WETA stuff.

I've heard some people on low settings or special framerate configs that the lasers are actually opaque with those, making it impossible to fucking see anything.

EmCeeGramr said:
I've heard some people on low settings or special framerate configs that the lasers are actually opaque with those, making it impossible to fucking see anything.
Yeah. I'm watching that youtube video of it right now and on low it looks nothing like this. It's just an opaque, pixelated mess.

derFeef

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, they use the effect in the original Portal, and it's lazy twice over. And no, it's not like the Eternal Reward effect at all. They could have used an effect like that or like the teleportation effect, but instead used a stock HL2 effect that's 7 years old and that ancient server mods for CS:S have been using for years.

My statement about the projectile had nothing to do with it being hard to see (as in, hard to tell they're being fired). In fact, that's literally the opposite of what I said. Good job on somehow misinterpreting it. Greenmarine also acknowledged that it's a bug, showing that Valve apparently agrees with me here!

The new taunt IS weightless and awkward, which is pretty much Bad Animation 101.

The new beard DOES look like paper and not like hair, and because of its high contrast white this is more apparent than on an unpainted black camera beard.

Less damage to buildings and "only effects turrets" is not an appreciable downside compared to the ability to slaughter other players with no real downside at all. It's like Valve's terrible "NO RANDOM CRITS IS A DOWNSIDE" period of design.
The animation is boss and the weapons look sweet. It's a matter of taste I guess. Now I have not played with them yet but I guess everyone is using them and maybe that's why it is so annoying right now?

Rickenslacker said:
From the sounds of it this thing's bound to get nerfed in a patch tomorrow.

I wanna try it out ASAP!
It doesn't need a nef.

-Less splash damage
-Long reload time
-Weak against sentries when uncharged
-Really easy to see coming
-Charge takes forever and leaves you exceedingly vulnerable.
-Seems slower than a standard rocket launcher, and certainly much slower than a LL.

things that help balance all that suck:

-charged shot does heat damage and I think minicrits too
-5 rounds
-Don't need to find ammo
-charged shot disables sentry for a few seconds.

It doesn't need a nerf because like all TF2 weapons, you are sacrificing something to use it. You're sacrificing discretion, power against sentries and splash, at minimum.

(._.)

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
It doesn't need a nef.

-Less splash damage
-Long reload time
-Seems slower than a standard rocket launcher, and certainly much slower than a LL.

-5 rounds
-Don't need to find ammo

It doesn't need a nerf because like all TF2 weapons, you are sacrificing something to use it. You're sacrificing discretion, power against sentries and splash, at minimum.
Yeah, pretty much everything you said is correct. The weapon is by no means OP. Really isn't very good either. Another useless rocket launcher to add to the pile. I'm tearing up these soldiers with my minis. takes 4 direct shots by that thing to kill one...

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Dreams-Visions said:
It doesn't need a nef.

-Less splash damage
-Long reload time

-5 rounds
-Don't need to find ammo

Like the DH it makes you useless to kritz medics, which is a bit of a big deal. Could be quite complimentary to a quickfix medic though. Also combined with the various banners you could really be a good support soldier.

Kinda strikes me as like the new demoknight setup---really annoying in the right circumstances but completely useless in others.

Chinner

Banned
so first the heavy got the tomislav, hugely OP, and now the solly gets this? Is valve fixing the balance problem by giving overpowered weapons to everybody?

derFeef

All guys use the new weapon - most people getting killed by new weapon - everyone cries new weapon is op. Hey you know, the scattergun is also OP!

MNC

Oh man the medic went flying all the way to the top, ridiculous! I love it!

The taunt IS pretty ugly and boring though. Yes personal opinion and all but c'mon.

I haven't seen these weapons in action yet, about to jump on for a few games. I didn't find any while idling which is a shame, the new launcher looks slightly over powered. The people he's playing against don't look amazing but he still looks like he's hardly trying.

derFeef

MNC said:
Oh man the medic went flying all the way to the top, ridiculous! I love it!
The taunt IS pretty ugly and boring though. Yes personal opinion and all but c'mon.
Hm, it fits the theme I think. At least soldier is getting new taunts with new weapons, not like the other classes.

derFeef said:
All guys use the new weapon - most people getting killed by new weapon - everyone cries new weapon is op. Hey you know, the scattergun is also OP!
Man, I was in a server where people were QQing non-stop about it. They seemed to have lost their perspective completely talking about it being OP. They seemed to fail to realize that the reason everyone seemed to be getting killed by the new gun was because 80% of the people in the game were playing with the new weps. Not because they're OP and capable of spawn-killing or some such.

Duh.

Give it a week and this new RL will be reduced to limited duty at best. It's valuable when playing with a real *team* because disabling sentries is hella valuable. It's something of a burden any other time, though. Or better said, it's weaker than it's traditional brethren.

Chinner said:
so first the heavy got the tomislav, hugely OP, and now the solly gets this? Is valve fixing the balance problem by giving overpowered weapons to everybody?
Tommy got nerfed. This wep is not OP. People are just acting dramatic because they don't like the style of the weapon. If they nerf this weapon, it becomes absolutely worthless.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Probably the worst items they've added to the game, just looks stupid, it'll also get nerfed soon so enjoy it while it lasts.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
What on earth is the death skull on top of your health? That's the first time i've ever seen that.

Oh and holy crap i just found an item after 40 minutes of playing, woo hoo!

XeroSauce

Hey, anyone want the new launcher for the new pistol? Got a second one last night, would trade it for a strange weapon or two or the pistol.

evlcookie said:
What on earth is the death skull on top of your health? That's the first time i've ever seen that.

Oh and holy crap i just found an item after 40 minutes of playing, woo hoo!

Its the effect from the Fan of War, scout melee weapon.

On hit: one target at a time is marked for death, causing all damage taken to be mini-crits for 15 seconds.

XeroSauce

Obsessed said:
Asking again: Do the The Overdose and the Vitasaw work well together?
Overdose works much better with the Ubersaw. Using Vita is dependant on your medigun choice and ability of your patients.

commissar

SteveWinwood said:
I still don't know what the fuck it's supposed to be. Is it a movie? I looked around the website and have no clue.

EDIT: They're just plastic guns you can buy? Thats really... dumb.
it's a world so to speak. comics, artworks, figurines and really detailed ridiculous weaponry :D

The original weapon models are really high quality metal and glass and stuff. Heavy and badass.

Don't know much about the plastic ones, but while the originals are awesome they are also quite expensive if you're a dirty student like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom