• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinner

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
People are just acting dramatic because they don't like the style of the weapon. If they nerf this weapon, it becomes absolutely worthless.
Lets see....

Infinite ammo - takes away the need for ammo management and allows spamming/poor play

5 Rockets - total damage puts you in a situation where you'll win most combat situations unless ambushed. also slightly more powerful than the rl

Quieter than RL - self explanatory

Then you have the issues of the weapon overstepping class styles:

Minicrit main beam of death - High peak damage of Demoman
Afterburn - Pyro,
Disable Sentries nests for 4 seconds - Spy.

The weapon is in all senses overpowered, and then you can bring in the horrible horrible LOD issues and the styling of a gun which doesnt match TF2. If they could make it so it had a limit of 3 rockets that would help balance it.

EDIT: Valve have released a video of tomorrows nerf!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhw9-ZrrRSI

Dream-vision: looks fine to me!!!!

Chinner said:
Lets see....

Infinite ammo,
5 Rockets (slightly more powerful than the RL),
Quieter than RL,

Then you have the issues of the weapon overstepping class styles:

Minicrit main beam of death - High peak damage of Demoman,
Afterburn - Pyro,
Disable Sentries nests for 4 seconds - Spy.

The weapon is in all senses overpowered, and then you can bring in the horrible horrible LOD issues and the styling of a gun which doesnt match TF2. If they could make it so it had a limit of 3 rockets that would help balance it.

EDIT: Valve have released a video of tomorrows nerf!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhw9-ZrrRSI

Dream-vision: looks fine to me!!!!
:)

looks fine to me!

But really, it doesn't appear to be more powerful than the RL, while being more visible (you become a target), beam-o-death doesn't seem to do a ton of damage (it's not a one-shot kill, though the flames are nice). and yea, it can disable a sentry, but try destroying a sentry with this RL. If there's an engie anywhere near by it's a hopeless cause. It's a big fucking deal considering the Soldier is an essential class for mitigating the threat of L3 sentries.

Yes, it get 5 rounds, but with the reduced splash damage and long flight time, you're going to need those 5 rounds in the same way that you needed 3 or 4 with other RLs. then you're stuck with the reload time of 5 rounds. Naturally because you need 4-5 shots to kill someone, that 4-5 round reload time forces the same kind of withdraw that needing to find ammo does (more or less).

Really: if the weapon was OP, we'd see people owning servers with it. We'd see players with a demonstrable advantage seen in their K/D ratios. As one who played with these weapons for a few hours, my K/D ratio did not improve. In fact, i longed to get back to the regular RL and the Liberty Launcher. They're much more effective killing machines. This RL is a jack of many trades and a master of none. If equally skilled players were squaring off...one with this new RL...and the other with any of the old ones, I'd expect the person using the old RL to be more successful.

Nobody is owning shit with this weapon. Whereas, Tomislav before the patch could demonstrably destroy any other heavy consistently. THAT was OP. Demoknight with the recharging sword is OP. These new Soldier weapons are not in that class. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Again, when the buzz dies down by this time next week, you'll see that much hyperbole has laced these "OP" commentaries.

derFeef

Chinner said:
Lets see....

Infinite ammo - takes away the need for ammo management and allows spamming/poor play

Uhm, it takes 5 seconds to reload the full launcher/after a charged shot. No spamming, dude.

OMG Aero

How do people get the new weapons so soon after they are added into the game? Are the item drops weighted towards new weapons or does everyone just try and craft them?

OMG Aero said:
How do people get the new weapons so soon after they are added into the game? Are the item drops weighted towards new weapons or does everyone just try and craft them?
We crafted them. 1 reclaimed metal + Black Box (for the laser RL) or 1 reclaimed + Batallion's Backup (for the laser pistol).

I also did the hat, which was 4 refined + one of the set weapons (either the pistol or new RL).

I think one person did get a second pistol via random drop.

Dreams-Visions said:
We crafted them. 1 reclaimed metal + Black Box (for the laser RL) or 1 reclaimed + Batallion's Backup (for the laser pistol).

I also did the hat, which was 4 refined + one of the set weapons (either the pistol or new RL).

...I didn't know there were already crafting recipes. >_<

Fox318 said:
Doesn't he work for valve now?

He does indeed.

mTwtX.jpg

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:
Yeah, they use the effect in the original Portal, and it's lazy twice over. And no, it's not like the Eternal Reward effect at all. They could have used an effect like that or like the teleportation effect, but instead used a stock HL2 effect that's 7 years old and that ancient server mods for CS:S have been using for years. Yes, it is like the YER effect. Once you stab someone their body kind of floats and fades at the same time.. not nearly as much as the new gun, but you get the point

My statement about the projectile had nothing to do with it being hard to see (as in, hard to tell they're being fired). In fact, that's literally the opposite of what I said. Good job on somehow misinterpreting it. Greenmarine also acknowledged that it's a bug, showing that Valve apparently agrees with me here! What? So it's overly visible? The effect could be gimped in future updates but it's not really a problem. You said they are "hard to make out". I took that as "hard to see". How did I misinterpret that? If anything you just didn't communicate your thought correctly through text.

The new taunt IS weightless and awkward, which is pretty much Bad Animation 101. Oh you've taken animation classes? They're obviously going for a style there. It's not supposed to be realistic but overly cartoony

The new beard DOES look like paper and not like hair, and because of its high contrast white this is more apparent than on an unpainted black camera beard. Again, going for a cartoony style... welcome to the lighter side of TF2

Less damage to buildings and "only effects turrets" is not an appreciable downside compared to the ability to slaughter other players with no real downside at all. It's like Valve's terrible "NO RANDOM CRITS IS A DOWNSIDE" period of design. The new projectiles have splash damage without random crits.. it's not like they do substantially more damage or anything. Their visibility also makes them super easy to avoid. I played for hours last night and only died to that weapon probably once or twice :p Also as someone pointed out it takes forever to fully reload the thing

Honestly, I have never seen anyone complain so much about something so dumb. I've seen you complain about facets of new updates in the past too.. sheesh. You remind me of:

jnDpQ.jpg

It's clear you're not prepared for any type of change and should only play on vanilla servers.

It's weird being a Soldier, and yet being almost useless around Sentries. The worst part is when you're charging up to stun one, and just as you're ready to shoot, an enemy walks in front of you. Great, you killed someone, except your clip is empty and there's a non-disabled Sentry now putting a number of holes into you.

The pistol is delicious. Killing Engineers through their building forts? That's got to be rage-inducing, I don't dare play Engineer right now. It also seems to reload ridiculously fast.

Dechaios said:
Honestly, I have never seen anyone complain so much about something so dumb. I've seen you complain about facets of new updates in the past too.. sheesh. You remind me of:

jnDpQ.jpg

It's clear you're not prepared for any type of change and should only play on vanilla servers.

Wow, other people's opinions really bother you, sorry to hear that.

DarkKyo

wartime1020 said:
Wow, other people's opinions really bother you, sorry to hear that.
Not really, but it's okay.

People who are known to consistently complain about anything new or different bother me. Hey you're one of them peoples too! I just haven't found any of your posts worth replying to.

But yeah it's also the fact that he has been passing off his opinions as factual problems. I have no problems with opinions but that shit bothers me.

Kulock said:
It's weird being a Soldier, and yet being almost useless around Sentries. The worst part is when you're charging up to stun one, and just as you're ready to shoot, an enemy walks in front of you. Great, you killed someone, except your clip is empty and there's a non-disabled Sentry now putting a number of holes into you.

The pistol is delicious. Killing Engineers through their building forts? That's got to be rage-inducing, I don't dare play Engineer right now. It also seems to reload ridiculously fast.

Wait, the new soldier pistol goes through buildings and not just other people? Yeesh. Sucks to be an engineer these days.

Chinner

Banned
Dechaios said:

People who are known to consistently complain about anything new or different bother me. Hey you're one of them peoples too! I just haven't found any of your posts worth replying to.

But yeah it's also the fact that he has been passing off his opinions as factual problems. I have no problems with opinions but that shit bothers me.
never realised you were such a terrible poster, lol.

Dreams-Visions said:

I got the pistol by a drop by complete luck after crafting the Primary lazer. I was so excited when I saw it.

So what are peoples bets on another update today? I don't know if I'm entirely convinced that there are two more updates for the two other rockets.

Dechaios said:

You seem to constantly complain about other people's complaints.

DarkKyo

Chinner said:
never realised you were such a terrible poster, lol.
Yeah, well you're a duck.

And adding "lol" to a derogatory post against me? Someone is trying to get me mad. :p

wartime1020 said:
You seem to constantly complain about other people's complaints.
Alrighty. So why do you complain about me complaining about someone's complaints?

Sounds a little hypocritical if you ask me.

Sciz

The only thing in the game at the moment I'd classify as being completely, ludicrously overpowered is the Saharan Spy set and its stupid silent decloaking.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So, last time I idled for a decent amount of time, I got a Trophy Belt. Time before that, a Grimme Hatte. I'm idling today while at work, and I go check on my loot.... Football Helmet.

Clearly Valve is telling me not to bother actually playing the game.

derFeef

All strange weapons, up for grabs. If you can give a scrap I am happy, or nothing - I am also happy. Looking for a strange GL still.

fdcb5d0a.jpg

Shotgun
Natascha
Pistol
Targe
Kunai
Ambassador
Flare Gun
Power Jack
Shoot me a PM!

Chinner

Banned
Dechaios said:
Yeah, well you're a duck.

And adding "lol" to a derogatory post against me? Someone is trying to get me mad. :p
I just don't understand why you're getting so upset when people complaining about this update. All of your responses seem to be:
1. You're a nerd
2. It's not overpowered
3. Entitled white-people.

You accuse Emgee of being a entitled nerd, but you're the one who is coming across like that because you're so willing to deny that anything is wrong or to allow discussion. Maybe you're emotionally invested in TF2, or maybe you somehow feel shameful about gaming, I don't know.

Unless you're trolling, which is also possible.

moojito

Sciz said:
The only thing in the game at the moment I'd classify as being completely, ludicrously overpowered is the Saharan Spy set and its stupid silent decloaking.

I dunno, I'm still fez-less and I gave the dead ringer a go the other day. Decloaking right behind people and they still never noticed. I know that by the time I'd hear that noise, remember what it meant and reacted to it I'd probably have new rear-facing ventilation as well.

Charron said:
So, last time I idled for a decent amount of time, I got a Trophy Belt. Time before that, a Grimme Hatte. I'm idling today while at work, and I go check on my loot.... Football Helmet.

Clearly Valve is telling me not to bother actually playing the game.

You realise that at this point you're not actually playing the game, right? ;op

DarkKyo

Chinner said:
I just don't understand why you're getting so upset when people complaining about this update. All of your responses seem to be:
1. You're a nerd
2. It's not overpowered
3. Entitled white-people.

You accuse Emgee of being a entitled nerd, but you're the one who is coming across like that because you're so willing to deny that anything is wrong or to allow discussion. Maybe you're emotionally invested in TF2, or maybe you somehow feel shameful about gaming, I don't know.

Unless you're trolling, which is also possible.
Excuse me?
I don't recall using the words nerd or white people.. Please, please point out where I called him an "entitled nerd". Just point that out for me because I can't find it. I honestly don't know where you're getting this. He brought up what he thought was a series of problems with the new weapons and I rebutted. I really think you're looking too much into this and you'd probably be better off just staying out of it. I didn't even want it to get that heated but now all you people are jumping onto my back when this was clearly an argument about the new weapon(and only about the new weapon) between me and Emcee.

Did my first idle night last night and got ~8 items, all that I already had. That's fine, at least there a good way to earn some spare cheap items.

I think the strange minigun is only one I would use, I'm not parting with my blackbox, it's too good.

Weenerz

Banned
Did they change text idling? I've been going on for around 2 hours or so and I don't see any new items yet. Is there a better site to check? I was using TF2 Items

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
moojito said:
You realise that at this point you're not actually playing the game, right? ;op

Exactly! If I play the game it's all "nay, gameplay is its own reward! You get nothing but crates!" but if I idle it's all "here be your armaments and your hats!".

I don't know why the game talks like it's at a Renaissance fair, but okay.

There must be something magical about the Private Eye hat. I had a good game playing as a Spy and then swapped to a medic for 3 games and ended up with having 8 dominations against the other team.

Everyone saying it has a smaller splash radius and that it travels slower are wrong, BTW. The reload times are nearly the same as well.

Also using "well the optional charge fire is slow and not worth it" as a downside compared to the RL is like saying that the Atomizer's optional 3rd jump is a downside because it costs 10hp.

also dechaios you have some of the worst tf2 opinions ever, like how vanilla weapons aren't the best, gimmick loadouts are just as good, the fan is just as good as the scattergun, the new almost universally hated laser weapons are good, 32-player servers are great, and buying hundreds of dollars worth of keys is worth it because you got lucky (using the exact same logic as addicted gamblers)

DarkKyo

EmCeeGramr said:
Everyone saying it has a smaller splash radius and that it travels slower are wrong, BTW. The reload times are nearly the same as well.
I could definitely see them nerfing it in one way or another at some point. I just dunno if it's as bad as some are saying.

I guess it doesn't travel slower but because it's so much more visible than rockets I find myself being able to notice it and bail more often. The one major issue I do have with it is that I have definitely noticed a decrease in fps on my system. Even stuttering at times and my PC used to run TF2 so nice and clean. As long as they can patch that somehow(maybe lowering the polygons on the projectiles or something) I think I'd be fine with it.

EmCeeGramr said:
also dechaios you have some of the worst tf2 opinions ever, like how vanilla weapons aren't the best, gimmick loadouts are just as good, the fan is just as good as the scattergun, the new almost universally hated laser weapons are good, 32-player servers are great, and buying hundreds of dollars worth of keys is worth it because you got lucky (using the exact same logic as addicted gamblers)

I haven't bought hundreds of bucks worth of keys. And not all vanilla weapons are best, just some. Nice opinion there. See this is my problem, you're passing off your opinions like everyone in the world except me agrees with them where as I try to communicate that everything I say is just an opinion.

Also is this your opinion that I have bad opinions? :)

Slair

anybody else have weird graphical problems since this update? The intel cases are black, everything seems overbright and washed out and when i get pissed on it coats my view in the most overbright yellow colour and it makes it hard to see anything. I never understand how valve messes up so much stuff whenever they update.

Won

Wow, the new weapons are awful even by Hat Fortress standards. Why exactly did they release something like that?

Slair said:
anybody else have weird graphical problems since this update? The intel cases are black, everything seems overbright and washed out and when i get pissed on it coats my view in the most overbright yellow colour and it makes it hard to see anything. I never understand how valve messes up so much stuff whenever they update.

When I noticed Jarate seemed alot more bright recently but I was getting that prior to last nights update.

DarkKyo

Won said:
Wow, the new weapons are awful even by Hat Fortress standards. Why exactly did they release something like that?
Some agreement dealie with WETA. Maybe they were pumped about the partnership and didn't consider the aesthetics clashing.

Do you mean awful visually or gameplay-wise?
Slair said:
I do actually. Some reflections for me are showing up as that pink checkerboard now :/

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:

This is one of the biggest deals to me. If there is a minisentry anywhere, you have to run and hide, not to mention you can't shoot the charged shot early so classes like scout should have a field day murdering charging, frozen in place soldiers. As I mentioned, a fully charged shot from like 1 foot away into one of the sword demomen resulted in him killing me and having 90% health left due to the health recharge. So maybe...50% damage from a full shot or something to classes like that?

I don't really have a problem with making all classes overpowered, by the way. I might prefer that to a bunch of ultra weak weapons, but maybe I'll change my mind.

And no matter how many times people say the flying speed, radius, and reload times are nearly the same, it FEELS weird and slow and hard to predict, darnit.

*edit* Darnit, I need a backup to craft the new pistol even more now. Being able to shoot through sentries would be amazing. Remember when the sydney sleeper used to be actually useful -- killing medics through heavies, sniping engineers THROUGH sentries. I miss that.

Won

Dechaios said:
Some agreement dealie with WETA. Maybe they were pumped about the partnership and didn't consider the aesthetics clashing.

Do you mean awful visually or gameplay-wise?

Couldn't stand the sound of the thing long enough to make a judgement on the gameplay, but visuals and gameplay usually go hand in hand in TF2, so probably both.

Chavelo

Chinner said:
so is the general opinion is that we'll get two more weapon packs?

Only a theory, since there was three rockets that landed, and soldier apparently found one of them.

Then again, you're talking about the number 3 here.

It's Valve. They can't count to 3.

valve-count.jpg

Javaman

Blizzard said:
This is one of the biggest deals to me. If there is a minisentry anywhere, you have to run and hide, not to mention you can't shoot the charged shot early so classes like scout should have a field day murdering charging, frozen in place soldiers. As I mentioned, a fully charged shot from like 1 foot away into one of the sword demomen resulted in him killing me and having 90% health left due to the health recharge. So maybe...50% damage from a full shot or something to classes like that?

I don't really have a problem with making all classes overpowered, by the way. I might prefer that to a bunch of ultra weak weapons, but maybe I'll change my mind.

And no matter how many times people say the flying speed, radius, and reload times are nearly the same, it FEELS weird and slow and hard to predict, darnit.

*edit* Darnit, I need a backup to craft the new pistol even more now. Being able to shoot through sentries would be amazing. Remember when the sydney sleeper used to be actually useful -- killing medics through heavies, sniping engineers THROUGH sentries. I miss that.
If they keep putting out more and more powerful weapons it's just going to lead to more one hit kills, something this game already has too many of.

there's a lot of quacking going on quack quack quack.

Personally i like the new weapons, the cow mangler does less damage slow, and splash damage is also low. It seems to be you need to play it like the Direct Hit and the overcharge ability is like halo's laser gun you are vulnerable for a long time to get it to shoot.

I hope to see a steam powered chainsaw for the pyro =D

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
If they keep putting out more and more powerful weapons it's just going to lead to more one hit kills, something this game already has too many of.
I'm all for one hit kills, as long as they kill Javaman.

*charge and targe charges past your team to behead your medic*

By the way, for anyone who lets the soldier sit practically still long enough to fire the charged shot at a sentry, a direct hit soldier could have fired four rockets, any two of which would be enough to DESTROY the sentry instead of merely disabling it, not to mention flying faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom