• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
rac said:
Crates=
vq2kol.jpg
+ White Paint
Finally something decent. I only play soldier so I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.
Sombrero, Jarate and Equalizer for a series #1 crate? ;p

Davidion

Is anyone having CPU issues with this game? I've been hitting 100% CPU usage while playing and it's becoming intensive to the point where I'm getting microlags and the game is becoming flat out unenjoyable. I'm on a e6750 and I've OC'ed it to 3.2 ghz to no avail.

It could be a Windows 7 problem, but I'm running out of ideas.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do you have an Antivirus program? I here that some of them can cause problems due to constantly rechecking the stats folder to if its a virus, because the stuff in stats folder changes every few seconds.

Boonoo

Davidion said:
Is anyone having CPU issues with this game? I've been hitting 100% CPU usage while playing and it's becoming intensive to the point where I'm getting microlags and the game is becoming flat out unenjoyable. I'm on a e6750 and I've OC'ed it to 3.2 ghz to no avail.

It could be a Windows 7 problem, but I'm running out of ideas.

Just to answer you in both places. I could see it being cpu limited with that CPU. Also, make sure you have multicore enabled. In my experience it helps quite a bit (in the range of 30-40 frames with a 3.6 q6600)

I've crafted The Frying Pan. I'm surprised they didn't even give it basic metal hit sounds for the Demo, maybe they can't borrow between classes to do those.

Nothing special at all about it, just funny to charge at people with. Need to get a Stainless Pot hat for Soldier to match. :D

What's interesting is you're not allowed to trade it, even though you make it with a standard Demo or Soldier Token, Melee Token, and a scrap metal like usual.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can craft the frying pan?

Edit: Ah "melee slot token, class token, and scrap metal"

What is that, 8 weapons? Not to hard, but not worth it at the moment. Can it only be crafted, or found in drops to?

Also, something tells me the Frying pan was not supposed to go into the update, and just slipped in by mistake, like the Rimmed Raincatcher, except its complete enough to be used. I think Valve just snuck in the crafting receipie, because I don't remember it being craftable right when the update came live.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:

What is that, 8 weapons? Not to hard, but not worth it IMO.

And it's not even guaranteed D:
Is it just a reskin for the bottle/shovel?

Yeef

Drkirby said:

What is that, 8 weapons? Not to hard, but not worth it at the moment. Can it only be crafted, or found in drops to?
That formula is gives you a random melee weapons for that class (whichever class token you use). Won't necessarily be a frying pan.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
That formula is gives you a random melee weapons for that class (whichever class token you use). Won't necessarily be a frying pan.
Then I am going with my theory that the item was not supposed to be in the update, like the Rimmed Raincatcher, since you can get the Rimmed Raincatcher in a similer way (Except its not done enough to be worn or even fully placed into your backpack). It would also explain why the Frying pan doesn't have a propper death Icon.

Drkirby said:
Then I am going with my theory that the item was not supposed to be in the update, like the Rimmed Raincatcher, since you can get the Rimmed Raincatcher in a similer way (Except its not done enough to be worn or even fully placed into your backpack). It would also explain why the Frying pan doesn't have a propper death Icon.

The Vita-Saw doesn't have a proper death icon either, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Eh, I don't know, a craft only item that isn't tradable and is random sounds more like a error then intentional, since this update also has a hat that you can get by rebuilding headgear but can't be put into your backpack.

Drkirby said:
Eh, I don't know, a craft only item that isn't tradable and is random sounds more like a error then intentional, since this update also has a hat that you can get by rebuilding headgear but can't be put into your backpack.

I'll agree that the non-tradable status does make it more suspicious. But then again, it could be like a lower-level test of something like the Golden Wrench, rarer cosmetic items, they talked about those being available in the store soon, perhaps this is the drop equivalent.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe. And for some reason, now I want to try and craft it. Maybe I'll give it a try once more items drop, since I want to hold off doing anything with th rest of my extra Vintage stuff for a bit.

Sciz

An option to simply smash a crate open at some X% chance of destroying the contents would be the easiest solution, I think.

Yeef

Sciz said:
An option to simply smash a crate open at some X% chance of destroying the contents would be the easiest solution, I think.
I think that's a great solution. Especially if they tell you what it would have been when it gets destroyed. It would make for some good anecdotes when people break ultra-rare stuff.

Nabs

Sigh. I bought two keys. Got two Vita-Saws.

vitaetcp.jpg

I'm willing to part with two of 'em. I also have a Darwin's Danger Shield for the Sniper if anyone is interested.

I'm just looking for one of the new Scout weaps, or the L'etranger.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
The mackerel has jigglebones right? It's hard to tell in the think of battle.
Yes, it wiggles (mostly when you hold still?).

In regard to the gunboats, I like them in theory, but I think my biggest problem with them is that, unless you're overhealed (in which case the launch damage isn't as major to begin with), the launch damage is less of a concern to me than the landing damage, since I am not good at horizontal rocket jumps. It seems like a limited set of maps actually have good places to jump up high, but perhaps that's just because I need to get better at soldier. I know doublecross is one of my favorite places to go soldier, but I am still very unreliable at doing the rocket jump to the sniper ledge on the enemy side.

I think I saw someone commenting on how they felt they were more accurate with the black box. Maybe it was my imagination, but I almost feel that way too -- perhaps the knowledge that your clip is even more limited really makes you pay attention to where the rockets go. It's a terrible feeling to be spamming rockets, fire a crit rocket, and know that if you had AIMED it well it would have been devastating. ;_;

moojito

I can't comprehend how people are paying real actual cash money on this stuff. Crates? That give you in game weapons you already have? Even ones you don't? Madness.

Hugbot

I'm looking for a vintage buff banner, I have any one of the following(all vintage): Ubersaw, Kritz, Tribalman's Shiv, Dead Ringer, and Frontier Justice.

I also have an extra Vita-Saw for any of the new weapons save the Battalion's Backup.

(I am also looking for a sucker to trade me their physician's mask for my spare beard but that might be a harder sell. Also I am holding on to the hope that they'll let us paint beards in the future for some gold beard action.)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh snap, Bish gave us permission to make a TF2 discussion thread in the gaming area so that it's more visible. The idea came from Boonoo when he noticed that all the update threads got nice and large, but the people posting in it never came in here.

Anyone want to make it? We gotta do something pretty.

Hugbot

Stallion Free said:
Oh snap, Bish gave us permission to make a TF2 discussion thread in the gaming area so that it's more visible. The idea came from Boonoo when he noticed that all the update threads got nice and large, but the people posting in it never came in here.

Anyone want to make it? We gotta do something pretty.
That is rad, I constantly forget this thread exists.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
I agree. Since it was Boonoo's idea, I will nobly step forward and volunteer Boonoo to make the new thread! :D

I could do it! I'll maybe test it here first. Did we want to wait until the update thread dies down a bit?

moojito

Aye, I always wondered why there weren't active threads about games like tf2 and wow before I joined up and found them in here.

Clydefrog

moojito said:
I can't comprehend how people are paying real actual cash money on this stuff. Crates? That give you in game weapons you already have? Even ones you don't? Madness.

seriously. when I first loaded it up and saw some weapon advertised as $4.99 I thought "oh they added some kind of in-game money system now? cool i guess" so i started poking around and then realized it's ACTUAL money :lol wtf!

Sciz

moojito said:
Aye, I always wondered why there weren't active threads about games like tf2 and wow before I joined up and found them in here.
Threads like this and the WoW one got pushed in here ages ago to encourage activity in the Online forum and to keep them from cluttering the front page. Times have changed a bit since then.

But first there's the most important task for making a new thread: The tagline.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo, I'm definitely willing to help. I go through phases with the game, but I was pretty pleased with how my Dolphin Emulator OT went and have been feeling in the mood to work on another (I'm probably gonna do a massive overhaul of the Dolphin thread when they release 3.0, but I'm kind of dreading it).

Anyone want to trade vintage weapons? There are a few I missed, namely the Engineer ones and I think a couple of other ones.

Edit:
Hugbot said:
I'm looking for a vintage buff banner, I have any one of the following(all vintage): Ubersaw, Kritz, Tribalman's Shiv, Dead Ringer, and Frontier Justice.

I have 2 spare vintage Buff Banners. I need the Shiv and Frontier Justice. Are there any other Vintage weapons you need so I can get both of those?

Boonoo

Stallion Free said:
Boonoo, I'm definitely willing to help. I go through phases with the game, but I was pretty pleased with how my Dolphin Emulator OT went and have been feeling in the mood to work on another (I'm probably gonna do a massive overhaul of the Dolphin thread when they release 3.0, but I'm kind of dreading it).

Oh ho! I remember that OP. It was real nice. You'd probably do a better job than I would; I'd be glad to provide info and links and what not.

As far as base info goes I was just thinking something along the lines of

TF2
Gaf server info.
wiki.teamfortress.com
tf2maps.net
tf2lobby.com
mygamingedge.com
maybe a few other servers or handy tf2 related sites.

all with appropriate info blurbs.

I don't know if it would really be necessary to run through the classes or game modes or anything like that.

Yeef

Team Fortress 2 |OT| Valve's Real-time 50's Hat Simulator™

Are we talking a new official thread (i.e. designed for people who haven't played the game before) or just a discussion thread?

If it's a new Official Thread then this is how I'd do it:

• GAF group and server info, of course
  • Basic Overview of the game in general and the different game modes in the OP, with useful links like the official wiki, tf2items, fps banana, etc.
  • 1 Post with a picture of all of the currently-available hats.
  • 1 Post for each of the three different class types (Offensive, Defensive, Support), each going into brief detail about the classes and their extra weapons.
  • 1 Post detailing crafting, trading and The Mann Co. store.
  • Lots of pictures to make the layouts prettified.

If you need any help with anything I'd be glad to help.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
We could brief class outlines with some basics/sub class recommendation/links to specific tutorials on how to play said class.

I want a header prominently featuring Saxton Hale.

moojito

Hat Fortress 2 |WTT|

edit: to make this marginally more meaningful for a new page: definitely list the official and most common maps. When I first started out I remember being mightily confused by all the different maps and variants, and mario kart server, whatever the hell they are.

commissar

So it's not just massive image spam, could link to individual posts (with more detail?) posted in say this thread for storage.

Keeps the main posts bandwidth light, but can still be information heavy. while also looking pretty :D

Unless lurkers cannot view Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom