• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeef said:
No matter how hard I try I always want to read your name as "Booo! NO!"

What does that say about you?
How do you read my name? I always find it funny when people try to say it like "Derr Kirby", or when I just put down DRK they pronouce it "Drick" :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
How do you read my name? I always find it funny when people try to say it like "Derr Kirby", or when I just put down DRK they pronouce it "Drick" :lol
Really? I've always seen it as Dr. Kirby. Then again, I think I only started noticing you in the time since you got the obvious avatar.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You never noticed my old avatar? (The one before it sucked though)

blink.gif

Maybe I should make the kirby bigger.

There was also this one:
drk.gif

And might as well post this while I have photobucket open
scribkirby.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lionheart1337 said:
Remote gaming <
What? You want several of us to try and rig up the game to play with a TV remote control and infrared sensor? That sounds both tedious and awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
There was also this one:
drk.gif
Yeah, I definitely remember this one. I joined GAF in the wake of that thread thouth. Was there ever a point where you didn't have a Kirby doctor avatar? *shrug* Its all hazy

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nope. My very first one sucked though:
drk90x90.png

Now, Fancy Drkirby by him self is nice though:
tea.gif

Tea cup looks a bit odd though.

Ultimatum

Banned
anybody want the heavy gloves that make you move fast?

Drkirby said:
Nope. My very first one sucked though:
drk90x90.png

Now, Fancy Drkirby by him self is nice though:
tea.gif

Tea cup looks a bit odd though.

I used to read your name as dark kirby

notsol337 said:
I have always and forever read "Dr. Kirby"

I keep waiting for someone other than twig to read my name right D:
not so l33t, easy peasy

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman has the best name since it is mysterious. You read it and then you wonder which of the following are true:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
  • Man who drinks lots of Java
  • Man born in Java

notsol337

marked forever
Blizzard said:
Javaman has the best name since it is mysterious. You read it and then you wonder which of the following are true:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
  • Man born in Java

It's pronounced "Yahvahman" dude.

Anyone can see that!

Sciz

Blizzard said:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
  • Man born in Java
I prefer the "escaped Mega Man boss" theory.

Clydefrog

Blizzard said:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
  • Man born in Java

and his steam ID picture just further confuses you! A llama!

curse you, Javallamaman!

moojito

That your eternal reward I crafted is bugged. It has some kind of magnetic pull on an enemy's weapon, so they turn to face me right as I move up behind them. Maybe if I find a carpet somewhere and give it a vigorous rub before attacking
and the knife as well
then I can reverse the polarity or something.

tl;dr I suck at spy.

Boonoo

Next highlander match same time this Sunday. 3 eastern, 2 Central, 1 Mountain, 12 Pacific.

We'll probably do it on the GAF server; I have some tricks to get the password stuff working this time.

Trick number 1 is turning off ManiMod for the hour.
Trick number 2 is convincing Java to use SourceMod.

P.S. Java we love you for paying for this server; let us donate.

Blizzard

Banned
I can be there for highlander this Sunday. I volunteer to donate lots of locked crates to Java. Of course I also volunteer as heavy unless anyone strongly objects. Medic and pyro remain mediocre fallbacks if required.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
You never noticed my old avatar? (The one before it sucked though)

blink.gif

Maybe I should make the kirby bigger.

There was also this one:
drk.gif

And might as well post this while I have photobucket open
scribkirby.jpg
Ghetto, ghetto, ghetto. But sincere.

Javaman

Blizzard said:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
    [*]Man who drinks lots of Java
  • Man born in Java

Boonoo said:
Next highlander match same time this Sunday. 3 eastern, 2 Central, 1 Mountain, 12 Pacific.

We'll probably do it on the GAF server; I have some tricks to get the password stuff working this time.

Trick number 1 is turning off ManiMod for the hour.
Trick number 2 is convincing Java to use SourceMod.

P.S. Java we love you for paying for this server; let us donate.
Number 2 is a no-go. There's some kind of issue preventing source mod from running correctly on the server, either installed from gameserver's panel or manually. I gave up on tweeking it after several hours. Mani isn't as feature rich, but it does what I need it to.

I like keeping it donation free. Simplifies things and prevents a lot of drama. Plus there's no expectations. If someone were to donate they might want special treatment like mod or reserve status.

Blizzard said:
I can be there for highlander this Sunday. I volunteer to donate lots of locked crates to Java. Of course I also volunteer as heavy unless anyone strongly objects. Medic and pyro remain mediocre fallbacks if required.

Oh god no. I don't want the temptation to buy keys. If I find any I'll probably just trade or give them away. Just show the other team what's what and that'll make me happy.

AcciDante

Blizzard said:

• Man made of Java
  • Man who programs Java
  • Man born in Java

I submit a new theory. A man programmed in Java.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Javaman tries to fuck up Mega Man with long initialization times and inefficient graphics processing.

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Number 2 is a no-go. There's some kind of issue preventing source mod from running correctly on the server, either installed from gameserver's panel or manually. I gave up on tweeking it after several hours. Mani isn't as feature rich, but it does what I need it to.

I like keeping it donation free. Simplifies things and prevents a lot of drama. Plus there's no expectations. If someone were to donate they might want special treatment like mod or reserve status.

Oh god no. I don't want the temptation to buy keys. If I find any I'll probably just trade or give them away. Just show the other team what's what and that'll make me happy.
I know I've asked this before, but fuck if I remember anything from last week, but what is the price difference on getting a server that will let us more easily add customs to the rotation (i.e., let people download them at reasonable speeds).

Boonoo

I remembered that I have a second TF2 account.

I'll be damned if it goes to waste! Idle time!

Although, in general I think I'll just play with both. I'll switch to the second once I max out items on the first.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:

Although, in general I think I'll just play with both. I'll switch to the second once I max out items on the first.
o_O

Also, just a reminder to you Boonoo, I will be out of town this weekend, so I can't help you guys roll the next team. ):

I'll be back for whenever we play after that, though.

Boonoo

Twig said:
o_O

Also, just a reminder to you Boonoo, I will be out of town this weekend, so I can't help you guys roll the next team. ):

I'll be back for whenever we play after that, though.

Yeah, it should be fine. Bomb will be able to make it. It should be boring but quick. The playoffs may be a bit fun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:

Someone on the TF2 Valve board recently complained about one of his accounts getting banned due to transferring all his items from one account to anther, so be careful. They may think you are scamming your self :lol

Yeef

Twig said:
I know I've asked this before, but fuck if I remember anything from last week, but what is the price difference on getting a server that will let us more easily add customs to the rotation (i.e., let people download them at reasonable speeds).
It's an extra $5+ a month. Java says he doesn't pay for it "out of principle."

http://www.gameservers.com/redirect/

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Someone on the TF2 Valve board recently complained about one of his accounts getting banned due to transferring all his items from one account to anther, so be careful. They may think you are scamming your self :lol

balladofwindfishes said:
Apparently people are getting their entire steam accounts disabled for giving items to themselves because it's flagged as "Scamming"

Oh ho! I'll have to watch out for that. Apparently Valve is going to take scamming pretty seriously.

GreenMarine (SA poster that works for Valve on TF2) said:
Funny you should ask. We just decided today that speaking about how we address this problem publicly might help word get around.

We nuke scammers from orbit. We deactivate their accounts. This means they lose access to all steam products.

We are investigating less harsh methods of punishment. As of today we may begin nuking the violator's inventory completely on the first offense and then closing their account on a successive offense. We are also investigating the possibility of simply disabling trade for violators or other methods of escalating punishment.

We are pretty good at determining whether actual fraud took place and also some types of not-really-fraud (like complaining about a bad trade) are ignored.

This doesn't really address the guys who scam from an account bought just for scamming, but it should discourage casual scamming.

Victims have their items restored if real fraud is determined.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
"We are pretty good at determining whether actual fraud took place and also some types of not-really-fraud."

That's comforting. :lol Valve once removed my unlocks because they thought I was using and idling program, a few days later I received an email apologizing and given all items, even ones I did not have.

I will not make any big purchases on steam because I'm paranoid about Valve disabling my account for no reason.

Blizzard

Banned
Iadien said:
"We are pretty good at determining whether actual fraud took place and also some types of not-really-fraud."

That's comforting. :lol Valve once removed my unlocks because they thought I was using and idling program, a few days later I received an email apologizing and given all items, even ones I did not have.

I will not make any big purchases on steam because I'm paranoid about Valve disabling my account for no reason.
Yeah, getting your account/items/whatever accidentally nuked is the big risk of Steam. I'm a Steam fan but I'm still aware it's there! By "scamming" I'm guessing they mean someone buying TF2 for $10, but then using it to farm and sell hats, or some similar odd scheme?

Boonoo, why would you have two TF2 accounts, you silly man.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Yeah, getting your account/items/whatever accidentally nuked is the big risk of Steam. I'm a Steam fan but I'm still aware it's there! By "scamming" I'm guessing they mean someone buying TF2 for $10, but then using it to farm and sell hats, or some similar odd scheme?

Boonoo, why would you have two TF2 accounts, you silly man.

Naw, by scamming I think they mainly mean 1) stealing account and subsequently stealing all the items off of it (which is happening now, so getting your account nabbed has that extra risk now--but it seems easily reversible.) And in truth for things like this I wouldn't mind proper action being taken if (and this is a big if) they can fully determine the party responsible.

And 2) cheating someone out of items by using a common "oh, i'll trade hat X for 5 items. Put up the first 4 then I'll trade it for the last one." Then they run off with your 4 items. For these sorts of tricks I wouldn't mind a system of timed bans from trading/inventory wipes etc.
(this second issue was the context that the above post was given in)

Account nuking for triking a kid out of his hat is completely bogus, though.

I ended up nabbing a second TF2 account when it was on sale for 5 or 6 bucks so that I could stick it on my team's roster if we ever need a ringer. I haven't actually used it for that purpose since it's technically cheating. But it's nice to have an account to share with friends and whatnot. I think I bought the Orange Box when it was 10 dollars for my mom's account a while ago, too. But since she uses it I can't farm items on it D:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I haven't heard about anyone's account getting nuked to that extent, that may be aimed at outright stealing and such, most of the scamming stories I have heard just has the scammer get a VAC ban (Which now wipes your TF2 backpack)

Hugbot

Man I just filled out the trading section on my tf2items page and it turns out there are three suckers willing to trade my extra beard for a physician's mask. Radical.

Twig

Banned
Hugbot said:
Man I just filled out the trading section on my tf2items page and it turns out there are three suckers willing to trade my extra beard for a physician's mask. Radical.
I remember when beards were as common as normal items.

I had like five!

Ahh, I should've saved 'em. ):

Hugbot

Twig said:
I remember when beards were as common as normal items.

I had like five!

Ahh, I should've saved 'em. ):
Yeah, I got two back-to-back right before they fixed it. There was I think a similar period for the mask but it was much shorter. Maybe?

I saved it for crafting if I got a second dupe hat but this is even better. I'll only regret trading it if/when they change it to let us paint beards.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe they are waiting until the other polycount pack is ready.

What major bugs are there besides the sniper rifle going through people and getting random crits? (if those are bugs) I know the new spy knife sometimes acts weird for me, where it plays the sound but doesn't do the animation stab.

Also, over the last couple of days I've had TF2 just freeze for a couple of seconds and then comes back, and that's something I never really recall seeing before, unless it's a result of me enabling multicore rendering recently. Yesterday it even completely froze up TF2/Steam etc. until I killed HL2.exe, upon which Steam became responsive again.

Also also, having two scouts with the $17.50 hat on the enemy team (yes I am jealous of their items) is super annoying. The extra health plus potential for their gun to do like 288 damage in two double-crit rapidfire shots makes them hard to kill for things that are not a sentry gun. I have trouble even with natascha if they jump around a bunch or get at close range so I can't see them.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
I am a bit surprised there hasn't been a smaller update yet. Lots of bugs popped up in Polycount, but they haven't been fixed :/

Also, I could be wrong, but I think this picture of Mann Co was hidden someplace in the update and isn't old:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/2/2e/Mannco_compound.jpg

Hinting at a Scrapped/Delayed Mann Co. Payload map?

That's a great picture. They have fixed some of them, though, haven't they? Like the overheal bug.

Also, over the last couple of days I've had TF2 just freeze for a couple of seconds and then comes back, and that's something I never really recall seeing before, unless it's a result of me enabling multicore rendering recently. Yesterday it even completely froze up TF2/Steam etc. until I killed HL2.exe, upon which Steam became responsive again.

Don't you pick on multicore. Although I think I've felt that a few times now and then--it's like when steam is trying trying to reconnect, and it hitches up ever minute or so while you're playing.

In other news! I used this defrag method for TF2, and I think it made a noticeable difference in load times, etc. I'm pretty pleased with it, and now that it's set up I imagine I'll make sure to use it after every patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom