• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
derFeef said:
You experienced the Dead Ringer!

Dreams-Visions said:
Dead Ringer. Infuriating little device, tbh.

They should have named it "Paranoia" because you never feel sure a spy is dead. You don't necessarially know if he was dead ringing at the moment you killed him or not. Only sure way is if a Pyro lit him on fire. Otherwise, you're going to be looking over your shoulder for the next 5 -7 seconds.

Ha! Thanks peeps, that'd explain it. Infuriating indeed, yet another thing I'm going to have to look out for. Cheers.

Baha

-Deadpool- said:
Ha! Thanks peeps, that'd explain it. Infuriating indeed, yet another thing I'm going to have to look out for. Cheers.

Best way to counter it is to learn the decloak sound it makes and to watch your back. You'll eventually also notice that sometimes you'll run into an invisible wall that shouldn't be there or something invisible blocking your path = dead ringer spy you coincidentally just bumped into. The worst thing for a spy is an opposing team on high alert so if you spy check regularly and protect your engineers, then that spy is gonna hate life :).

[EDIT]Oh yeah, the Saharan Spy set removes the decloak sound completely but at the expense of a disguise. So you kill a spy wearing a fez in like 1 hit, chances are that handsome rouge is still alive.

Dreams-Visions said:
Dead Ringer. Infuriating little device, tbh.

They should have named it "Paranoia" because you never feel sure a spy is dead. You don't necessarially know if he was dead ringing at the moment you killed him or not. Only sure way is if a Pyro lit him on fire. Otherwise, you're going to be looking over your shoulder for the next 5 -7 seconds.

Well if a spy uses a dead ringer it will make a noisy screeching sound when he uncloaks

tangmaster96 said:
Well if a spy uses a dead ringer it will make a noisy screeching sound when he uncloaks
which you may or may not notice depending on how far away he decloaks, if your teammates are talking loudly, or if you're in the middle of a firefight.

you really kinda have to just watch your back and hope your pyro is around and aggressively checking around.

Dreams-Visions said:
which you may or may not notice depending on how far away he decloaks, if your teammates are talking loudly, or if you're in the middle of a firefight.

you really kinda have to just watch your back and hope your pyro is around and aggressively checking around.

true

cause he won't have a disguise cause deadringer takes all cloaking ammo

NBtoaster

I also find that the dead ringer will drop spy corpses in strange ways (eg they just collapse in a heap with no force) making it easy to tell, sometimes.

Chinner

Banned
-Deadpool- said:
There's a easy to way deal with this: Whenever you 'kill' a DR spy your kill count doesn't go unless you actually kill him, so check it whenever you're dealing with a spy.

DarkKyo

Chinner said:
There's a easy to way deal with this: Whenever you 'kill' a DR spy your kill count doesn't go unless you actually kill him, so check it whenever you're dealing with a spy.
Also, if you notice the spy die at the first tiny bit of damage given to him you can pretty much assume he just feigned death.

Chinner said:
I'm way too unattentive for that, but if I'm checking for a DR spy I'll try and check the scoreboard to see if their name darkened, or if I dominate them I'll check to see if I got the icon for it. But generally at the moment I notice a DR spy I counterpick and go pyro.

Yeef

I've reduced the number of custom maps per vote to 1 to prevent maps being knocked to a second page. it's really stupid that this plugin doesn't allow you to set maximum number of maps in a vote.

Also, after some stax last night I'm convinced that the scramble plugin isn't working correctly. I'm going to try to figure out how to fix the problem and/or find another one.

Rickenslacker said:
I'm way too unattentive for that, but if I'm checking for a DR spy I'll try and check the scoreboard to see if their name darkened, or if I dominate them I'll check to see if I got the icon for it. But generally at the moment I notice a DR spy I counterpick and go pyro.
A Dead Ringer spy's name will be darkened until he decloaks. It's actually a little easier to spot DR spies now. If you play with damage sounds on you won't get a sound when someone feigns death. It didn't use to be that way, but it's changed in the last few patches. Probably an unintentional bug, but enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeef said:
A Dead Ringer spy's name will be darkened until he decloaks. It's actually a little easier to spot DR spies now. If you play with damage sounds on you won't get a sound when someone feigns death. It didn't use to be that way, but it's changed in the last few patches. Probably an unintentional bug, but enjoy it while it lasts.
Whoops! Never noticed that. But that damage sound bug is useful to know.

XeroSauce

Yeef said:
I've reduced the number of custom maps per vote to 1 to prevent maps being knocked to a second page. it's really stupid that this plugin doesn't allow you to set maximum number of maps in a vote.

Also, after some stax last night I'm convinced that the scramble plugin isn't working correctly. I'm going to try to figure out how to fix the problem and/or find another one.

WHAT D:

That's horrible. VALVE FIX THIS BUG

I play Dead Ringer almost exclusively, because it always seems like paranoid teams will destroy you cloaked or not. DR gives you that survivability that every other class has.

Yeef said:

I think that should only be on the valve f2p servers to give new players some experience on how the deadringer works

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I had a bug yesterday which made every blood splatter (or toy splatter) appear as big black squares. (also some other graphic glitches) - any ideas what that might be?

Yeef

The GeoIP function was bugged on the stats plugin, but I managed to fix it. Haven't been able to find a fix for the scramble, but the issue seems to be with a problem connecting to the database. Worst case scenario I'll try editing the plugin and fixing it myself, though that might take awhile.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Yeef said:
I got a ding when I "killed" a spy who dominated me in lieau of the usual revenge sound. Maybe a bug.

Finally getting the hang of Demo and actually getting quite good with him in certain areas. Still haven't got the hang of his charge attack, but I'm digging the sticky bombs in payload maps. I really like hiding the bombs on the ceiling or walls, and just ambushing them when I see they started to move the cart. I'm still generally spamming grenades, but at least now I'm finding out good points to do it at so I'm netting a bunch of kills. Also finally unlocked the wrangler for the engineer, and after a round of playtime I can tell it's going to be a pretty awesome weapon.

Scout on the other hand is still useless to me. Maybe my computer can't keep up with his speed or something, but my bullets never seem to register. I've literally "meat shot" (or close to it) people multiple times, and they turn around and kill me in one hit. I know the scout isn't that weak since they've taken me out pretty quickly, I just feel like my computer is running too slow because of either the framerate or lag, so these shots are just grazing them even though it looks like I nailed a direct hit. It's fun to annoy people with the sandman though.

fallengorn said:
I got a ding when I "killed" a spy who dominated me in lieau of the usual revenge sound. Maybe a bug.
It says you killed them in the top right marquee. But your kill count never increases. There are special exceptions to this. Visit the wiki page for the subtle differences. All in all, you really have to pay attention when playing with spies in the game. You don't always have a chance to stop and check the leaderboard, as you may be in a firefight.

Forkball

There's probably going to be an update later today to fix the Mangler's damage. I also think they'll remove the grockets, causing the tears of millions.

Milabrega

Jarate and Mad Milk helps spot the Dead Ringer spy after a fake kill too. Best thing about the Gaf server is people always give the heads up when a teams spy is using a Dead Ringer.

Scipius

Tkawsome said:
Finally getting the hang of Demo and actually getting quite good with him in certain areas. Still haven't got the hang of his charge attack, but I'm digging the sticky bombs in payload maps. I really like hiding the bombs on the ceiling or walls, and just ambushing them when I see they started to move the cart. I'm still generally spamming grenades, but at least now I'm finding out good points to do it at so I'm netting a bunch of kills. Also finally unlocked the wrangler for the engineer, and after a round of playtime I can tell it's going to be a pretty awesome weapon.

I can remember when the Demoman started to click for me; he quickly became my most played class.

Also, thanks to Cuban Legend for the trade! Nice doing business ;)

commissar

I always do the greyed name scoreboard trick for spies, but I suppose it would be easier if I noticed my KDR. I usually don't pay attention to it lol.

giancarlo123x said:
Selling strange ambassador, flamethrower, natascha, powerjack, and sandman. These are the last things im selling then im done with the trading scene.
I would be interested in the Flamethrower. What are you looking for?

Baha

giancarlo123x said:
Selling strange ambassador, flamethrower, natascha, powerjack, and sandman. These are the last things im selling then im done with the trading scene.

What are you looking for in exchange for your strange ambassador?

I had a random add asking to buy my unusual. He was Russian, started giving me grief about not wanting to sell it and could hardly speak English. Damn Unusual Hat finders.

Sourtreats said:
I had a random add asking to buy my unusual. He was Russian, started giving me grief about not wanting to sell it and could hardly speak English. Damn Unusual Hat finders.
lol. what kind of unusual do you have?

DarkKyo

Sourtreats said:
Dude another guy did that to me today. They friend me and then give me the worst offers. Eventually I have to just unfriend them mid-conversation cause they won't leave me alone.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Milabrega said:
Jarate and Mad Milk helps spot the Dead Ringer spy after a fake kill too. Best thing about the Gaf server is people always give the heads up when a teams spy is using a Dead Ringer.
Worst thing is nobody does a damn thing about it.

I want it changed so that if I know someone DR'ed I should have the advantage if I keep chasing them down. It's stupid having to attack a space a spah is standing in and having it do nothing when I know the fucker is there.

Hell, I had metaphorically take a tele and I had him trapped in a corner. He used DR and couldn't run, the fuck else am I supposed to do? I did try to time it so that my taunt kill would mess him up, but he still squirmed away like a weasel and I had to keep punching him.

I've chased down a ton whom I keep shooting as a scout, but all they do is release DR just before getting metal/health and they can keep douche ringing...

Baha

Kuro Madoushi said:

I want it changed so that if I know someone DR'ed I should have the advantage if I keep chasing them down. It's stupid having to attack a space a spah is standing in and having it do nothing when I know the fucker is there.

Hell, I had metaphorically take a tele and I had him trapped in a corner. He used DR and couldn't run, the fuck else am I supposed to do? I did try to time it so that my taunt kill would mess him up, but he still squirmed away like a weasel and I had to keep punching him.

I've chased down a ton whom I keep shooting as a scout, but all they do is release DR just before getting metal/health and they can keep douche ringing...

Times like that, you corner them and taunt kill them. I have a replay saved where I do that to lazy :p

[EDIT]Or at least I think it's lazy, need to rewatch and upload it sometime.

Kuro Madoushi said:

Maybe it would have been better if the amount of damage deflected by the DR decreased the longer you have it activated. Some linear decrease down to 20% at the very end (down from 90%).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
Maybe it would have been better if the amount of damage deflected by the DR decreased the longer you have it activated. Some linear decrease down to 20% at the very end (down from 90%).
Then we'd get a bunch of DR players whining.

Though that I can live that since I know way too many DR spies that abuse the shit out of it.

Yeef

Dreams-Visions said:
The reduction only lasts for the default cloak time. So if you pick up ammo while cloaked you don't get any damage reduction during that extra time. Really, what makes the Dead Ringer annoying to deal with is the fact that DR spies are completely invisible. It should work similar to damage in that after x amount of time cloaked you lose bump-invisibility.

...I'm pretty sure it does do that. After 6.5 seconds cloaked (i.e., by picking up ammo to extend time), you lose the 90% damage resistance and you shimmer when touched.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
The reduction only lasts for the default cloak time. So if you pick up ammo while cloaked you don't get any damage reduction during that extra time. Really, what makes the Dead Ringer annoying to deal with is the fact that DR spies are completely invisible. It should work similar to damage in that after x amount of time cloaked you lose bump-invisibility.

Eh, experienced DR spies still abuse the shit out of it.

Again, I think Valve should change it so that if I KNOW the fucker is there, he shouldn't be able to rely on the dmg reduction to save him. I understand the initial cushion (otherwise it's useless), but to have him running from ammo crate to ammo crate while I chase him down is ludicrous.

You haven't played against Spy2 enough to make you rage. Metaphorically and Livtenko or whatever the hell his name is have NOTHING on Spy2. NOTHING. This guy takes abuse to a whole new level and I'm sure even Java can attest.

Yeef

Kuro Madoushi said:
Eh, experienced DR spies still abuse the shit out of it.

Again, I think Valve should change it so that if I KNOW the fucker is there, he shouldn't be able to rely on the dmg reduction to save him. I understand the initial cushion (otherwise it's useless), but to have him running from ammo crate to ammo crate while I chase him down is ludicrous.

You haven't played against Spy2 enough to make you rage. Metaphorically and Livtenko or whatever the hell his name is have NOTHING on Spy2. NOTHING. This guy takes abuse to a whole new level and I'm sure even Java can attest.
i don't bother chasing down dead ringer spies unless I'm using a weapon that can reveal them (fire, jarate, etc.). Instead I just rush the nearest ammo pickups to keep them from getting it. The cloak time on the dead ringer isn't too long and with no ammo to pick up they either need to retreat or engage without the ability to feign death again.

Yeef said:
I konw it only lasts for the amount of cloak time, but with the damage reduction at 90% it's damn near impossible to kill them even IF you spot find them and shoot while they're invisible. He's practically guaranteed to get away if he wants to. That bothers the fuck out of me.

anyway, because of all this, today is DR day for Dreams-Visions. :)

XeroSauce

Liberty Launcher is so fun to use. Plus it sounds stellar.

But you're really gimping yourself unless you use the default rocket launcher. You jsut lose out in Soldier vs Soldier fights so easily.

Yeef

XeroSauce said:
Liberty Launcher is so fun to use. Plus it sounds stellar.

But you're really gimping yourself unless you use the default rocket launcher. You jsut lose out in Soldier vs Soldier fights so easily.
You shouldn't lose out to other soldiers unless they're overhealed and you're not. Otherwise it should be a fairly even match (except that you can score airshots more easily). You lose out against heavies and when rocket jumping though.

Yeef said:
i don't bother chasing down dead ringer spies unless I'm using a weapon that can reveal them (fire, jarate, etc.). Instead I just rush the nearest ammo pickups to keep them from getting it. The cloak time on the dead ringer isn't too long and with no ammo to pick up they either need to retreat or engage without the ability to feign death again.
this is the kryptonite to high-level DR spy play, learn from this, GAF.

I just noticed, it used to be that you could at least tell a DR because they only dropped weapons when they actually died, but according to the Wiki I see now that it drops "fake" weapons, that just don't give you extra ammo or metal. Considering how tiny a "tell" that is to notice on an active battlefield, I'm annoyed they took even that out.

the key past anticipating a game's 'tells' is by anticipating the player's 'tells'. Knowing and/or learning an enemy player's spy habits can go along way too.

Acerac

Banned
DR makes Valve servers awesome.

"Good job mr. sniper! I'm sure that single hit from your SMG has finished me off. Go back to looking out that window..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom