• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Hello all.

An update earlier this week contained an adjustment to the scoring bonus we give to Valve servers for quickplay servers. There is still a bonus when inexperienced players are searching. However, the bonus decreases as they gain play hours, and it drops to zero at around 20 hours of play time. (Don't take the specific numbers too literally, all the details are subject to tweaking, of course.)

Our goals with these changes are:

* Ensure that new players have the "vanilla" TF2 experience.

* Integrate experienced players into the regular community, help them discover the diversity, and let them find the experience they want.

Your servers are competing with Valve servers on an equal footing for quickplay customers. In fact, my guess --- although I don't really have any data to back this up --- is that directing the noobs towards the Valve servers actually gives them a disadvantage.

Your humble servant,

Fletch
On the one hand, this is good because it means noobs are more likely to play with noobs, so matches should theoretically be fore even. Realistically, though, it's pretty simple to just put "Valve" into the server browser, join the server witht he lowest ping and go to town.

Firebrand

&Divius said:
edit: anyone know any good EU servers? I know there's a EuroGaf server but it always empty.
Hampshire Heavies and Uberium are the ones I stick to mostly. Sometimes PCGamer when the above are full. Have had some fun on UKCS in the past too, but IIRC their servers are all either 32-player or instant respawn which I certainly don't care much for.

Yeef said:
On the one hand, this is good because it means noobs are more likely to play with noobs, so matches should theoretically be fore even. Realistically, though, it's pretty simple to just put "Valve" into the server browser, join the server witht he lowest ping and go to town.
where did this email come from?

Kuro Madoushi said:
Yup. Pay attention, beet!

Gotta spread those overheals around.

Overheals are good for players rushing into a fight and useless for just waiting around.

If you see someone rushing forward with full health yelling medic, you give a quick buff over the wounded standing around.
I know all about overheals, but injured Soldiers/Heavies/Demos get priority over full-health Snipers and the like.
&Divius said:
Holy shit why do so many people always switch to a class of a player who is doing well?

I join a team with no spies > I become a spy > I backstab some people > I die. I check and suddenly we have 5 spies because OH DIVIUS WAS JUST OWNING AS A SPY WE CAN DO THAT TOO. Or teams with like 6 snipers. Holy shit this is driving me insane. I try to talk some sense into my team, I try to coach them, but no-one listens. And then they whine when we lose.

edit: anyone know any good EU servers? I know there's a EuroGaf server but it always empty.
iknowthatfeelbro.jpg

What's the best best load out for learning Spy? Every time I die as a Spy and I think, Hmm I should use the other knife or watch and then still die, rinse and repeat.

Oh great. was having a great game as a Scount for a change and then all of a sudden...

HL2.EXE has stopped working...

Keeps happening now. Any ideas?

Sourtreats said:
What's the best best load out for learning Spy? Every time I die as a Spy and I think, Hmm I should use the other knife or watch and then still die, rinse and repeat.

Dead Ringer helped me learn. I got 3 milestones in the first day I started using it. It has made me much better with the vanilla loadout too. I still have some awful moments though.

I use the normal knife and gun, I tried out some of the other knives today but I'm not a huge fan.

mojiimbo

Sourtreats said:
Dead Ringer + Your Eternal Reward.

jdogmoney

Wendel Clark said:
Dead Ringer helped me learn. I got 3 milestones in the first day I started using it. It has made me much better with the vanilla loadout too. I still have some awful moments though.

I use the normal knife and gun, I tried out some of the other knives today but I'm not a huge fan.

The Enforcer is best gun, imo. Can take out a sentry pretty quick.

Yeef

Sourtreats said:
I'd definitely recommend using the default spy loadout to start. Actually, that goes for most classes.

EmCeeGramr said:
whenever i do super good as scout and want to record a replay it always looks much more awkward and jerky and 60%-of-my-shots-miss-y so i delete it
There's a reason I used 3rd person shots so much. It makes the misses look less bad. ;(

webrunner

Yeef said:
I'd definitely recommend using the default spy loadout to start. Actually, that goes for most classes.

There's a reason I used 3rd person shots so much. It makes the misses look less bad. ;(

I would say that for learning the Cloak n Dagger is pretty good for learning. You can hang out cloaked all day so you can take your time.

Forkball

balladofwindfishes said:
pay no attention to any undocumented changes coming in a soon to be released patch

Trust me on this
LIKE WHEN THE 200TH UPDATE WAS THE BIGGEST YET WITH MEET THE MEDIC?

Sourtreats said:
I'd say the default load out with Cloak and Dagger. While C+D is extremely situational in most games, I think it's good for learning because you can learn the map without repercussions. The invisible watch is by far the most versatile watch. You may be stressed seeing your cloak deplete when you are doing nothing, but once you learn the ammo drops and the hiding places, you can pretty much cross most maps without ever decloaking.

Or you can go Saharan Spy and just troll everyone.

The_big_TF2_flow_chart_by_Palozie.jpg

Forkball

balladofwindfishes said:
I'm specifically referencing this line from the blog
I think it's just a joke. Here's the full paragraph:

Since a couple of us at Valve will soon be playing the winners of the Free-2-Play Invitational Cup, we've also started ramping up the amount of time we spend thinking about ways to cheat win creatively. In completely unrelated news, if you see any TF2 updates in the future that have no changelist, don't worry, there's absolutely nothing going on.
It sounds like they are joking about secretly changing TF2 so they can cheat.

Yeef

webrunner said:
I would say that for learning the Cloak n Dagger is pretty good for learning. You can hang out cloaked all day so you can take your time.
"Taking your time," is not a good thing. You always want to do things as quickly and as efficiently as possible with any class since the whole game revolves around timers. There's few things worse than a spy that sits around for 4 minutes not doing anything.

webrunner

Yeef said:
"Taking your time," is not a good thing. You always want to do things as quickly and as efficiently as possible with any class since the whole game revolves around timers. There's few things worse than a spy that sits around for 4 minutes not doing anything.

But if you're learning it can give you the time to learn how to survey and figure out what people are doing, so later on when you are on a timer you can do things right.

balladofwindfishes said:
pay no attention to any undocumented changes coming in a soon to be released patch

Trust me on this

I am okay. I am still a person. Who is okay. I am busy doing safe things that are supervised by a responsible safety associate.

moojito

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Fixed a damage calculation in the Mantreads on Linux server, which could cause a physics crash

I remember my first hard drive was 850mb, now we get 90mb so the 4 people playing on linux don't crash!

edit: oh server. Still! *goes to find cloud to yell at*

DarkKyo

"Since a couple of us at Valve will soon be playing the winners of the Free-2-Play Invitational Cup, we've also started ramping up the amount of time we spend thinking about ways to cheat win creatively. In completely unrelated news, if you see any TF2 updates in the future that have no changelist, don't worry, there's absolutely nothing going on."

From the blog updates section.. hmm... Oh Valve/TF2 Team :p

Clydefrog

moojito said:
I remember my first hard drive was 850mb, now we get 90mb so the 4 people playing on linux don't crash!

edit: oh server. Still! *goes to find cloud to yell at*

I'm with you. This is getting ridiculous!

Five Engineers. That's how many god damned Engineers were in our base (including myself) after a round of CTF doublecross. Not only that, but they initially built all their shit right next to mine. I had to yell at them to spread out.

Sometimes I wish I was good at attacking classes.

Professor Beef said:
Five Engineers. That's how many god damned Engineers were in our base (including myself) after a round of CTF doublecross. Not only that, but they initially built all their shit right next to mine. I had to yell at them to spread out.

Sometimes I wish I was good at attacking classes.

To be fair that seems like it can actually be a pretty hard defense to break.

derFeef

Darkflight said:
I think I may be the worst Scout ever, he's too fast for my aiming, when did I become an old man?
You and me both... :/
It's like I have the target in front of me, but when I click the mouse I am looking into the sky and nopthing happens :p

commissar

Forkball said:
I think it's just a joke. Here's the full paragraph:

It sounds like they are joking about secretly changing TF2 so they can cheat.
Probably not actually a joke. They did it with the HL2 CTF mod. Valve vs CTF modders.
There's a (very small) video of it out there, it's hilarious.

Clydefrog

Darkflight said:
I think I may be the worst Scout ever, he's too fast for my aiming, when did I become an old man?

I'm pretty bad also. I'm like that guy in the movies that shoots bullets all around a stationary target, leaving an outline of the target in the wall behind it. sigh.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ohhh...overhealing a sniper, something wartime wiuld do :D

Well, the sniper can go fuck himself.

Still, there are situations where you'd buff and overheal over helping someone standing there. However, I sometimes give the sniper priority if he's decimating the other team.

Edit: Artistdude and boonoo are much better than I am, BUT some pointers on 'scoot'
1. Don't jump so much.
2. Lower mouse sensitivity
3. Flank or attack from behind
4. Face to face, stay at mid range and keep shooting to do dmg
5. Flanking or attacking from behind, get as close as possible and get a 'meatshot' since dmg goes up as distance closes so two full shots can kill almost anyone
6. If you have to jump, do it when you need to and with the understanding that assholes like boonoo will fuck you up when you land
7. If you have to jump, try a single jump, land, and then a dbl jump away or towards. Constantly double jumping is stupid
8. Bad aim? Practice more sniper. I dunno bout Boonoo, but hackerdude is an excellent sniper and scout and aiming helps with both classes.

Clydefrog

I'm a frontline sniper, so I'd appreciate the heals.

I love (hate) on CP maps when I start capping a point by myself, yell "Help!" several times but no one helps. I end up dying obviously, wait to respawn, and am able to start capping it again by myself before anyone else. I don't know what the fuck people do all their time? Stare at the landscape? Jump around in spawn? It frustrates me so much sometimes.

Same applies to payload maps. Some people only incline themselves to push the cart if they hear the timer going down...

Obsessed said:
To be fair that seems like it can actually be a pretty hard defense to break.
True, but that only left three other people to get the case. I felt like changing classes, but then I had the phone to answer. :lol
Kuro Madoushi said:
Ohhh...overhealing a sniper, something wartime wiuld do :D

Well, the sniper can go fuck himself.

Still, there are situations where you'd buff and overheal over helping someone standing there. However, I sometimes give the sniper priority if he's decimating the other team.
I know, I know. But an injured Soldier/Demo/Heavy gets priority over a full health Sniper in my book. But if said Sniper has been doing amazing, then that changes things obviously.

Sourtreats said:

i'd say start out with original weopens and watch

then it would be easier for newer stuff like the dead ringer and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom