• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
As far as I'm aware, replays can occasionally be quite messed up in how things look. I think some people might have said there was something awesome in game, but then it doesn't show up in the replay, etc.
Well, ragdolls and other non-gameplay physics stuff is calculated on the fly, so it'll be different in each render. I've found that all gameplay issues (lag and other jankiness) seem to be recorded on the replays just fine.

derFeef

EmCeeGramr said:
It's still latency. To the Spy player, on his computer, it was still technically the back for a split second, and that's why it counted.
If turned to the side for about 30° is counted as the back, then halleluja.

TheBez

I just opened a few crates and got some stranges I'm looking to trade! Also all the stuff on page one is for trade. 1 scrap for normals, 2 scraps for vintages! Looking for Brain Slug, Metal, etc.

Click me!

TheBez said:
I just opened a few crates and got some stranges I'm looking to trade! Also all the stuff on page one is for trade. 1 scrap for normals, 2 scraps for vintages! Looking for Brain Slug, Metal, etc.

Click me!

What would you want for a strange coveners kunai

Forkball

I mentioned this before, but now it's complete. Some modders created a Medieval Update for TF2, where over 130 items got medieval-y reskins.
There's also a Medieval themed Payload map. Not sure if it's medieval rules only, but it looks like it could be fun. Some of the models are so-so, but some are pretty cool. Samples:

2_2.png

3_1.png

4_3.png

4_4.png

4_5.png

5_7.png

That's very impressive, but probably a waste of time. Doubt Valve would bother including all that, I'd like to be wrong though. An Official mediaval payload would be pretty nice.

Javaman

EmCeeGramr said:
I've seen a worse one. This is the usual, "dude is turning around, and for a split second his hitbox is juuuust inside stab territory on the Spy's screen, and the stars and latency issues align," facestab.

I had one a month or so back where I just ran up to a dude with his back to a wall, and stabbed him right smack in the face. There was no turning at all, it was just plain "This is a backstab, except your face." Recorded a replay of it, but it was impossible to get a good angle.

I remember that death well, I had a bead on forkball and he didn't leave the middle of my screen at all.

Angry Fork

I've tried making animated sprays, and I could get them imported into the game but then when I use them in a room they don't show up. I hear the spray sound but the image doesn't show up on the wall, any idea how to fix this? It's not the room either I was using practice offline and the other normal sprays work fine.

Angry Fork said:
I've tried making animated sprays, and I could get them imported into the game but then when I use them in a room they don't show up. I hear the spray sound but the image doesn't show up on the wall, any idea how to fix this? It's not the room either I was using practice offline and the other normal sprays work fine.
Some rooms just don't allow them.

Grinchy

Banned
Forkball said:
Wow, it would be so awesome if there was a Pyro set that basically turned it into a fire mage. You could have a staff that shot fireballs, which you could then use to hit people who were on fire. Obviously whatever tweaking would have to be done to make it balanced is for smarter minds than mine. But I want to see Fire Mage happen.

DarkKyo

Grinchy said:
Wow, it would be so awesome if there was a Pyro set that basically turned it into a fire mage. You could have a staff that shot fireballs, which you could then use to hit people who were on fire. Obviously whatever tweaking would have to be done to make it balanced is for smarter minds than mine. But I want to see Fire Mage happen.
Great idea but sadly I don't think magic really fits into the TF2 style as much as guns and lasers do. I'd love to see some kind of fantasy mode where they deck out all the characters in stuff not from the normal TF2 universe or something.

Fireproof suit would make the spy too strong.

BTW just had a great spy session. The vanilla invisiwatch is what I use primarily now. The ability to go invisible at any time you want is too useful to give up. I put the Dead Ringer second on my power ranking though.

Yeef

I added Morrigan Alley to the server. I also made a new "Medieval Mode" category for nominations which includes:
  • Degroot Keep (of course)
  • Morrigan Alley (forced)
  • Shirouma*
  • Junction* (why the hell not)
  • Hydro* (maybe it'll make it play better, but I doubt it)

The *'d maps will only be in medieval mode if you nominate them from the medieval mode category, otherwise they'll be normal.

19CD5F0DC3E6B48FB5B3D4B5F1F76644D08D530D

7C46F492DC91A6DDFA4B116079F66C036868568D

Yeef

Acerac said:
I like how it seems to have no downsides.

Give spies -50 base HP and we can talk.
The downside is that it replaces the revolver, so you have no way to defend yourself BUT your knife.

commissar

Yeef said:
The downside is that it replaces the revolver, so you have no way to defend yourself BUT your knife.
And no pockets built in so theres no disguise or sappers either.
But being a safety suit there's an emergency whistle the spy can blow by right clicking.

Acerac

Banned
Yeef said:
That would make me so upset whenever I'd see a razorback sniper.

They're the reason I can't use YER. :(

commissar said:
And no pockets built in so theres no disguise or sappers either.
But being a safety suit there's an emergency whistle the spy can blow by right clicking.
SO BALANCED!

*Edit*

Holy shit it's a crappy CP map followed by a CTF map. Everyone abandon the server!

Yeef

Freight's a decent map, but I think Thunder Mountain just drained the will out of everyone. We were on that one map for 47 minutes.

Acerac

Banned
I guess I was lucky I showed up late in that case. Thunder Mountain is too fun for me to get sick of easy, but playing it for nearly an hour with no variety might convince me otherwise.

Never been huge on freight myself, despite getting my point record there a while ago. I've seen too many turtles, though our server had nothing like that.

Seems the room is picking up again however. Love GAFserver, I usually get slaughtered, but it is a great learning experience.

*Edit*

Never mind back down to 0 players. Time to mercilessly wreck valve servers I suppose.

Acerac

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Freight is a Good Map, partially because it's 5CP which makes it more bearable by default.
Doesn't help make granary fun.

Seriously though, I enjoy freight more than my post implied. Seems the majority of the server felt otherwise, however.

Blizzard

Banned
People talking about thunder mountain taking a long time...at least it has three different maps, and the kart moves around the map.

With something like hightower or 5cp, it's ONE map for like 45 minutes, and hightower has karts but they don't move that far.

One good balanced map (not Hightower) that ebbs between attack and defense and allows tons of different tactics that aren't "turtle the point to stop the cart" > a bunch of boring turtle fest multistage maps.

It's why Badwater and Upward are better Payload maps than Goldrush and Thunder Mountain, and why Gravelpit is a better A/D map than Dustbowl.

Harpuia

After a couple days of trying to learn scout I have come to a sad realization that I cannot be scout. I can play the other 7 classes however. Ah well, guess I shouldn't complain! There's people out there that may be only good with 1 class.

Keep practicing! TF2 is a game where Practice Makes Perfect. I was a terrible Scout for a long time until I started playing it more, and now I'm kinda decent!

Harpuia

EmCeeGramr said:
Keep practicing! TF2 is a game where Practice Makes Perfect. I was a terrible Scout for a long time until I started playing it more, and now I'm kinda decent!

I will try. I'm capable of going through a game without having 20+ deaths and only 5 kills now! I think my shitty mouse and horrible pc are contributing to my failure, but I do pretty good at the other classes (Except sniper lol) but the scout. :(

Harpuia said:
I will try. I'm capable of going through a game without having 20+ deaths and only 5 kills now! I think my shitty mouse and horrible pc are contributing to my failure, but I do pretty good at the other classes (Except sniper lol) but the scout. :(

don't worry almost everyone on gaf has over 1000 hours in tf2

commissar

Harpuia said:
There are a couple of fps configs that should help if your performance is iffy.

I run the dx9frames config at a solid 120fps (now to get a 120hz monitor lol) so choose the one which works best for you.
However I'm on my phone atm so can't link you to it sorry.

They were linked a few pages back, or some awesome person will link it soon :)

Yeef said:
Freight's a decent map, but I think Thunder Mountain just drained the will out of everyone. We were on that one map for 47 minutes.

One round of TM drains my will to play anymore. And yet we play it everyniiiight. I just can't finish that maaaaaap anymooooore.

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
One round of TM drains my will to play anymore. And yet we play it everyniiiight. I just can't finish that maaaaaap.
Thunder Mountain and high Tower are two of my favorites, personally, but they're really night-enders. You need to play them at just the right time otherwise they will suck you dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom