• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

commissar

Weenerz said:
And there is a TF2 trade thread now, head over to there for more friendly responses, the masses do not like to see trading discussed in their precious thread.
Not to be too snarky about it, but I stopped reading this thread for a few weeks because I'd check and it'd mostly be a page of trade requests.

The appeal of the gaf community is not just in the server but in the chitchat.
Removing trade talk helps people follow conversations more easily.

Dechaos will agree with me that your opinion is wrong etc. etc. ;)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
AcciDante said:
Don't think I didn't see that announcement, Kuro! You sonuvabitch!
Whaddya talkin boot?
I said Accidente not AcciDante! U:

Edit: you should be pleased at the number of people who came wanting bjs!

Looking through my screenshots I notice some anger in the chat that I didn't see before when I got a good group kill as a demoman: this one with 5 guys pushing the cart which won us the round, and this one where I made it to the defense spawn and killed about 5 coming out. The first one I find funny, but is it bad etiquette to stickybomb the spawn of the defense? Most of them were dead which allowed me to get back there. Also, they didn't really have a chance to react. I know I hate it when pyros come back there when I build stuff as engie. But we stickybomb the offense spawn before the game starts, or offense pushes defense back to spawn and it's hard to get out. A little gray area in the ethics of team fortress.

Forkball

I got an error trying to download Morrigan Alley on the server, it said "missing map" or some jibber jabber after it tried to download.

Dr. Pangloss said:
Looking through my screenshots I notice some anger in the chat that I didn't see before when I got a good group kill as a demoman: this one with 5 guys pushing the cart which won us the round, and this one where I made it to the defense spawn and killed about 5 coming out. The first one I find funny, but is it bad etiquette to stickybomb the spawn of the defense? Most of them were dead which allowed me to get back there. Also, they didn't really have a chance to react. I know I hate it when pyros come back there when I build stuff as engie. But we stickybomb the offense spawn before the game starts, or offense pushes defense back to spawn and it's hard to get out. A little gray area in the ethics of team fortress.

Just to clarify what I was bitching talking about, http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Respawn_times#Respawn_Waves

Yeef

With the dead ringer it's fairly easy to combat spawn camping these days. The only real problem is that on most maps it's impossible to know you're being camped until you're killed at least once.

The solution is to give maps multiple spawn exits, one-way windows and/or steel-style spawns where the enemy can't get in close enough to camp.

My personal feeling is, if you're passing by to take out the teleporters and happen to kill someone coming out of spawn, that's fine. If you're sitting there sticky camping the spawn that's both annoying and not fun for either side.

[EDIT]
Forkball said:
I got an error trying to download Morrigan Alley on the server, it said "missing map" or some jibber jabber after it tried to download.
There was an update this morning that fixed some bugs on that map. i updated, but used the bz2 file that they supplied. it looks like it also has a nav file in it along with the map, which probably confuses TF2's external downloader.

I'll fix it in a few minutes, but remember, you can always get maps directly at http://tf2.gafserver.com/tf/maps

Uriah

Forkball said:

I got that error as well and I already have the map downloaded.

Well here is the thing, this was the first map of Gold Rush and everyone was pushing the cart. I had gone upstairs to see if the Defense had built anything. I then jump down and went through the tunnels and saw no one around. So I placed a couple of stickies on the door. Then a bunch of people came out. It wasn't my intention to camp the spawn. Not that it mattered because we soon capped the point 20 seconds after I blew them up. Was just looking for someone to fight. I think we lost on the third map. Tough corner there.

DarkKyo

Early color tests looking pretty good I think...
HX7B8.jpg

rar

Yeef said:
Haha. Should've just switched to shotgun OR LEARNED TO AIM.

That little bump was blocking your explosion.

or valve could just fix it so explosions work like they should

its so silly

DarkKyo

tangmaster96 said:
Its sweet

Bet it would sell like homemade tamales
Here's hoping! Maybe I'll tell Valve it should be added for this year's Halloween update...
Yeef said:
Very cool.
thanks Yeef! :)

Also, I haven't even tried it with the pyro's googly eyes underneath but I but that looks awesome and creepy

DarkKyo

Wendel Clark said:
What's that Pyro hat inspired from?
Nothing in particular, I was just interested in doing a dark/death/black knight style helm and thought about who it would be good for. Pyro has a dark helmet as it is so I thought it fit him/her the most. I only looked at a couple reference helms for inspiration with the eye slots.

Yeef

I stumbled upon a random listing of a bunch of maps, so I downloaded all of the ones that had interesting names. Most of them were either awful or unfinished (or both). Out of 26 maps I downloaded only 7 were fit to actually be added to the server (and of those, 2 were koth versions of maps we already have). There were some promising ones, but no matter how good a map is I don't want to play a map with no textures:
  • koth_lighthouse_rc5 - Decent looking map.
  • koth_mill_b2 - I liked this one a lot. I'm not sure if it was made by the same person that did watermill, but it seems like another solid KOTH map.
  • koth_oilfield - KOTH version of oilfield (that 3cp map). I'd argue the map make smore sense as a KOTH map than a push map.
  • koth_peaks_b4c - Another solid looking KOTH map.
  • koth_waste - KOTH version of waste. You know, that one map that already has 5cp and Payload versions?
  • pl_bunkerdash_b1 - 2 stage PL map, 2 points per stage. Seemed interesting.
  • pl_traction_a5a - Single stage payload maps with a bunch of points (like upward). There are some minor aesthetic issues (like the incomplete skybox toward the end of the map), but it looked like it could be fun.

I also added ctf_mach4 which seemed like a miniature (prettier) version of 2fort. Obviously not fit for the server, but I was curious to see if it were possible for a scout to cap the intel 5 times before an engineer can even build a sentry (the map is seriously tiny).

As always, download directly at http://tf2.gafserver.com/tf/maps/ or just wait for the server to send it them at you.

I did find out about two new game modes from the maps though (none ended up on the server). One is the "Bomb the Base" CTF variant. Basically, It's forced medieval and there's 1 neutral intel. Once it's picked up it starts a 20 second timer. When the timer runs out the intel explodes. Each team has 3 points and to cap a point you need to hold the intel and be on a point while it explodes. Seems like it could be tons of fun and relatively quick.

The other mode is the unfortunately named "Circle Jerk" Payload Race variant. Basically both carts share 1 track and start on opposite sides of one another. The goal is to push your cart so that it bumps the other cart from behind, destroying it.

rar said:
or valve could just fix it so explosions work like they should

its so silly
Valve fix something?

Now who's being silly?

I stumbled into one of those premium servers a few minutes ago. I thought it was funny how I was being hammered by 7-8 rockets at once, yet they were still unable to destroy my poor lackluster F2P Sentry.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Joined a friend into ProTF2 32 man server.

That is a hard roll. Didn't think I'd break my demoman point record.
I wasn't giving it a lot of thought so I threw myself on the cart :[

WjNB6.jpg

qD40G.jpg

Uriah

Borgnine said:

I was watching you do this in game and was wondering what the hell you were doing lol.

Yeef said:
I stumbled upon a random listing of a bunch of maps, so I downloaded all of the ones that had interesting names. Most of them were either awful or unfinished (or both). Out of 26 maps I downloaded only 7 were fit to actually be added to the server (and of those, 2 were koth versions of maps we already have). There were some promising ones, but no matter how good a map is I don't want to play a map with no textures:
  • koth_lighthouse_rc5 - Decent looking map.
  • koth_mill_b2 - I liked this one a lot. I'm not sure if it was made by the same person that did watermill, but it seems like another solid KOTH map.
  • koth_oilfield - KOTH version of oilfield (that 3cp map). I'd argue the map make smore sense as a KOTH map than a push map.
  • koth_peaks_b4c - Another solid looking KOTH map.
  • koth_waste - KOTH version of waste. You know, that one map that already has 5cp and Payload versions?
  • pl_bunkerdash_b1 - 2 stage PL map, 2 points per stage. Seemed interesting.
  • pl_traction_a5a - Single stage payload maps with a bunch of points (like upward). There are some minor aesthetic issues (like the incomplete skybox toward the end of the map), but it looked like it could be fun.

I also added ctf_mach4 which seemed like a miniature (prettier) version of 2fort. Obviously not fit for the server, but I was curious to see if it were possible for a scout to cap the intel 5 times before an engineer can even build a sentry (the map is seriously tiny).

As always, download directly at http://tf2.gafserver.com/tf/maps/ or just wait for the server to send it them at you.

I did find out about two new game modes from the maps though (none ended up on the server). One is the "Bomb the Base" CTF variant. Basically, It's forced medieval and there's 1 neutral intel. Once it's picked up it starts a 20 second timer. When the timer runs out the intel explodes. Each team has 3 points and to cap a point you need to hold the intel and be on a point while it explodes. Seems like it could be tons of fun and relatively quick.

The other mode is the unfortunately named "Circle Jerk" Payload Race variant. Basically both carts share 1 track and start on opposite sides of one another. The goal is to push your cart so that it bumps the other cart from behind, destroying it.

Valve fix something?

Now who's being silly?

Ctf-mach 4 is great.
Btw, did you remove the restriction on what type of maps could be nominate and voted on based on the current game mode?

smurfx

get some go again
omg i just played this game for the first time ever and holy crap was it so much fun. i played as sniper and that one guy who can double jump. will definitely be playing more.

Dakota47

smurfx said:
omg i just played this game for the first time ever and holy crap was it so much fun. i played as sniper and that one guy who can double jump. will definitely be playing more.

Welcome! I love it how this game still wins over people five years after release.

TGMIII

Time for more hat help. So, before I take the cash for my Unusual Soldier's stash /w sunbeam I've just been looking at a few more offers and here's what has came up:

Offer 1:
Unusual tippler's tricone /w purple confetti & Max's head & 2 earbuds

Offer 2:
Unusual vintage tyrolean /w searing plasma & Unusual Soldier's stash /w hearts & 5 keys.

I know some people might be thinking, BRO TAKE THE 215$ (which is £130 to me), but I really really don't need the money and it would make no impact in the slightest on my bank account. I want to try and get a max head + maybe another unusual for the soldier/scout/demo/medic. So what are those offers worth.

awwyeahgurrl said:
Time for more hat help. So, before I take the cash for my Unusual Soldier's stash /w sunbeam I've just been looking at a few more offers and here's what has came up:

Offer 1:
Unusual tippler's tricone /w purple confetti & Max's head & 2 earbuds

Offer 2:
Unusual vintage tyrolean /w searing plasma & Unusual Soldier's stash /w hearts & 5 keys.

I know some people might be thinking, BRO TAKE THE 215$ (which is £130 to me), but I really really don't need the money and it would make no impact in the slightest on my bank account. I want to try and get a max head + maybe another unusual for the soldier/scout/demo/medic. So what are those offers worth.

BRO TAKE THE MONEY!

When it comes to unusuals, it's almost always about personal taste more than 'value' (with some notable exceptions).

Do you like what you're getting? You keep saying that you want the Max's head; you're getting that, and another unusual, and 2 buds - seems good to me.

Oreoleo

I had a dream last night that I was playing Fallout: New Vegas and found some earbuds in a building, and then they were available for me to wear in TF2.

Man, if only D:

TGMIII

I just try to get what it's worth really, I just don't want to go and then find out I've been massively undercut. I'm not too keen on the hat he offered along with the max so if he changes it I might go with him then.

yeoz

awwyeahgurrl said:
I've seen prices go from 40$-80$
That doesn't actually say how hard it is to actually buy one. But my suggestion is: Take the money and just buy a damn max's head, and pocket the rest.

edit:
awwyeahgurrl said:
but I really really don't need the money and it would make no impact in the slightest on my bank account.
Alternatively, If money is no object, just buy the max's head outright and keep the damn unusual.

TGMIII

I may do that in the end. I'm not too fond of the idea of buying TF2 items with money, even though I'm getting money for "free", which is why I'm trying to trade my hat for the max and something else but this is just me being indecisive.

I appreciate all the help by the way guys.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
Joined a friend into ProTF2 32 man server.

That is a hard roll. Didn't think I'd break my demoman point record.
I wasn't giving it a lot of thought so I threw myself on the cart :[

WjNB6.jpg

qD40G.jpg
I...wat?!

Only wartimecanonlyplaydemotime >:{

Demoknight is a blast to play, even in regular mode. I was topping the scoreboard, and it's so satisfying to just charge past a raging Heavy and take out his Medic. Knockback, what's that? I have 200 health and auto heal by killing enemies, come at me!

haters gonna hate

I think Demoknight is a very fun subclass, and I'd like to see the concept worked out into a proper class if they ever make TF3

TGMIII

Ok so I think I'm going to take an unusual soldier's stash /w hearts and a max. Stash /w hearts goes for around 100$-150$ and the max goes for 60$-80$ so if both of them were seling for the lowest amount I'm not under cutting myself by too much.

Shit is like stock markets.

Yeef said:
I also added ctf_mach4

I had to play this map a ton at one point. I know some people love it, but to me it's way too cramped, especially in the lower passages, and anything above the lower passages is a wall of Sniper fire. It has that problem Turbine has where there's too many clean sight lines for the Sniper, especially when you're just trying to leave your own base.

I can't even imagine what it would be like now with a few decent Snipers with the Bazaar Bargain.

XeroSauce

Oh my god, please don't include koth_waste. That maps sucks arse and every server I know that runs it empties when it loads up.

Blizzard

Banned
XeroSauce said:
Oh my god, please don't include koth_waste. That maps sucks arse and every server I know that runs it empties when it loads up.
If it's the normal waste map I'm thinking of (payload? payload race? AD?) then it's probably crappy, but a KOTH version basically can't last more than 6-10 minutes per round max, and most rounds should be less.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why do people vote for ctf_doublecross? It's such a terrible map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom