• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

moojito said:
Scottish resistance ones, as well. So you'd need 12 if you have the OCD. Sneaky valve!
You'd need 24. 12 of each color.

Also, mke sure you're not looking at them when you press mouse2 or it's just money down the drain.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
moojito said:
Scottish resistance ones, as well. So you'd need 12 if you have the OCD. Sneaky valve!
I am pretty sure that is the normal one, doesn't the Scottish Resistance only have 6 spike and not the many more the normal one has?

I just got an email from Valve that my submitted item may be used in a future update, so I need to sign the new ToS for items they may be considering.

I submitted sound effects for weapons that didn't have them and a joke hatless soldier (I submitted an empy .ZIP).

Only the sound effects I had to sign for.

Not many people are reporting getting this email. Kind of strange, but maybe I got lucky, especially since I only had to sign for one item and not both :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe I should do my idea and make a Monocle for the Demo. Most likely done to death, but still.

Edit: yep, already been done. I'll think of something.

Boonoo

balladofwindfishes said:
I just got an email from Valve that my submitted item may be used in a future update, so I need to sign the new ToS for items they may be considering.

I submitted sound effects for weapons that didn't have them and a joke hatless soldier (I submitted an empy .ZIP).

Only the sound effects I had to sign for.

Not many people are reporting getting this email. Kind of strange, but maybe I got lucky, especially since I only had to sign for one item and not both :D

Hey! That's great, grats on that. Can you say which items you made sound effects for?
(fingers crossed for unique sounding frying pan taunt while wearing the pot helmet)

Boonoo said:
Hey! That's great, grats on that. Can you say which items you made sound effects for?
(fingers crossed for unique sounding frying pan taunt while wearing the pot helmet)
Rocket Jumper
Blutz
Scottish Resistance
Frontier Justice
Kritzkreig Heal Beam

EDIT: Looks like those emails are being sent out to everyone who contributed, just slowly, which is why I got mine first, and people are slowly getting them. It has nothing to do with whether you're accepted or not.

Oh well

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Maybe they are going to launch the ability to give feedback on submissions in the next update like they have been planing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Demand you get a 1% cut of the income from any item that uses your sounds sold in the Mann Co. store. If they offer more for some strange reason, take it.

Drkirby said:
Demand you get a 1% cut of the income from any item that uses your sounds sold in the Mann Co. store. If they offer more for some strange reason, take it.
The Polycount guys get 25% :p

I'd love 25% of the Rocket Jumper, Blutz, Frontier Justice, Scott Res and Kritzkreig

This also reminds me I forgot to make sounds for the Big Kill and Lugermorph.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For both of those, they really should just be using the sounds from the Sam and Max games.

I don't think you will be able to get 25%, but even 5% would most likely subsidize your gaming hobby for a decade.

Forkball

Those plushies are pretty cool. I just checked the Valve store and noticed they had a lot of interesting items. I'm digging these iPhone cases:

SaGS.png

tf2_red_iphone_cover.png

tf2_blue_iphone_cover.png

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Keys can be traded now :eek:
It looks like there's a new 'decoder' item in the files. Speculation says that it'll let you basically see what's inside of a crate without actually opening it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
IMO, that speculation is bull, it doesn't actually make since for what a decoder does. Its most likely for something else, likely tied to ether anther new item or the new mode. Maybe the decoder will be tied to a large scale community event like the War update.

Drkirby said:
IMO, that speculation is bull, it doesn't actually make since for what a decoder does. Its most likely for something else, likely tied to ether anther new item or the new mode. Maybe the decoder will be tied to a large scale community event like the War update.

Maybe the decoder is a new spy item that takes control of a sentry (changes it's team color) instead of disabling it. Replaces the sapper.

(I have no idea where that just came from either).

(._.)

Banned
They should just drop basic items from crates. That is so cheap. Lowest item you should be able to get from a crate should be paint. $2.50 backburner makes me feel sad :(

MNC

Wallach said:
Unusual Napper's Respite.

So godlike. It has flies, I might rename it "Hobo's Poop Sock".
XD That name made me laugh out loud too loudly. Anyway, unusual nappers respite? So it's a special edition?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
zits the version where they just don't light on fire I dislike. I don't mind them taking nearly no damage, but not being able to easily spycheck will just make so much more powerful.

Yeef

Then we are opposed. I like the non-lighting on fire version because you can still spy check with air blasts. Since I don't use the backburner anyway I'm fine by that. Even if you don't want to air-check you just have to burn people a bit longer instead of just a quick puff to spy check. At close range a spy will die from just under a second of fire with the normal flamethrower and even faster with the backburner.

I think it's a fair trade off. You basically can't be spy checked but lose the ability to defend yourself if you're found out. With all of the ways there are to spy-check these days (bleeding, jarate, milk) I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
True, very true. Lets see how it goes, if the spy gets it. I liked the idea of losing your watch instead too instead of the gun.

Wallach

Drkirby said:
To bad its not the fire effect. Fly is the worse effect IMO.

Flies are my favorite. Anything more gaudy and you are just going to be that guy that makes the other team's sniper smile.

Yasae

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
The Polycount guys get 25% :p

I'd love 25% of the Rocket Jumper, Blutz, Frontier Justice, Scott Res and Kritzkreig

This also reminds me I forgot to make sounds for the Big Kill and Lugermorph.
Do you think 25% is too much or too little?

desh

Okay, 2 things:

1)Why do my Vintage Pyro's Beanie and my Vintage Camera Beard not have Level numbers?
Edit: Actually, the level numbers only show up on my tf2items.com profile, but not in-game.

2)I think I know why my non-tradable scrap metal is becoming tradable. It appears that after a TF2 update, it changes it from Not Tradable to normal. I guess the update doesn't check whether or not scrap metal is Tradable or not, and it loses it's Not Tradable status.

desh

I think the key thing is different. They specifically added the ability to trade keys in the last update. With the scrap metal, this has happened to me on three separate occasions. I crafted some scrap metal from achievement "Not Tradable" items which would make the scrap metal "Not Tradable". Then, at some point later, the scrap metal would lose its "Not Tradable" property. However, it wouldn't always lose it the next day, but rather, it would always seem to lose it after an update.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It was rumored to be 2 days, and its just the fact you can trade keys now, but that you can trade store bought keys. As far as I know, you aren't supposed to be able to simply buy items in the shop and trade them, but things will likely clear up soon.

ffffffffffffffffffff

Team Fortress 2 Community Contributor Payday

Steamworks Enables Peer-to-Peer Content Creation

October 21, 2010 -- Valve announced the success of the Team Fortress 2 (TF2) peer-to-peer marketplace released as part of its September 30th "Mann-Conomy" update for PC and Mac users. This feature is available to developers and publishers as part of the Steamworks suite of services.

Five Steam community members participated in the initial round of content creation. Rob Laro, Shawn Spetch, Steven Skidmore, Spencer Kern, and Shaylyn Hamm created items for Team Fortress 2 which were then made available to other community members for purchase from the in-game Mann Co. Store. Today they received checks for the first two weeks of sales, with royalties ranging from $39,000 to $47,000 per person.

"It's astounding that so many people want to purchase the items that came out of the community," said Spencer Kern, TF2 community content creator. "The response exceeded my wildest expectations. There really is no doubt at this point that there's a huge demand for community-created content in TF2 and, hopefully, more games will start to tap into this demand."

Funds from sales of community members' items were to be deposited directly into their PayPal accounts. However, within days, the revenue that their items generated exceeded PayPal's cap on the maximum deposit size. While Valve made alternate payment arrangements for the others, two of the community members flew to Seattle to receive their first checks directly.

The peer-to-peer marketplace is a new feature in Steamworks, a free-to-license collection of tools and services. Team Fortress 2 was the first game to utilize the peer-to-peer marketplace, available to players in-game as The Mann Co. Store.

"At a time when content creators are struggling with changing markets and evolving technologies, the Steam community is sending a clear message with these checks," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "Platforms that enable this kind of peer-to-peer exchange of virtual goods and services are going to be enthusiastically received. They create an inherently greater efficiency in connecting creators and consumers."

Team Fortress 2 will provide regular updates to community-created content on the Mann Co. Store. Those interested in contributing to future updates should go to http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/.

Developers and publishers who want to add peer-to-peer entertainment services in their own games should go to http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/.

I said WOW

over 15 THOUSAND dollars a WEEK

That means, if they gave them 25%, Valve made over 200,000 dollars from the Mann-Conomy update

0_o

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, I said holy shit. I'm glad that I contributed some money to the badass sniper pack. Those numbers pretty much guarantee those creators will be submitting some more :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
balladofwindfishes said:
ffffffffffffffffffff

I said WOW

over 15 THOUSAND dollars a WEEK

That means, if they gave them 25%, Valve made over 200,000 dollars from the Mann-Conomy update

0_o
From only the Polycount items, and the ones each one made. No telling how many Rocket Jumpers, Dueling guns, and most importantly, keys, were bought.

Tomorrow I shale bang my head against the keyboard till the modeling program makes me something good. Would help if I had artistic talent and all though.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm with you. I should just drop out of Psychology, learn to model 3D objects and make TF2 items for the rest of my life.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey, can anyone check to see if the rocket jumper is actually tradable now? I'd give someone an item or two (which might have an equivalent USD cost of $3.50!!!) in exchange for one. ;_;

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Hey, can anyone check to see if the rocket jumper is actually tradable now? I'd give someone an item or two (which might have an equivalent USD cost of $3.50!!!) in exchange for one. ;_;

My purchased jumper isn't.

Why don't you buy one Blizzard? Or have you sworn off the store entirely?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
Yes, and its is listed as findable too. Just give it time, they will start to become more common.

Here is where you can get this kind of info:
http://www.tf2items.com/allitems.php?d=1

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
My purchased jumper isn't.

Why don't you buy one Blizzard? Or have you sworn off the store entirely?
I'm not made of money man, that thing costs $0.50.

Mostly I'm trying to see if I can get most items by being patient without buying one from the store. If I wait a couple of months to build up items, I could try going the very expensive soldier token crafting route, but if that even works, then it's like a 33% chance of success, right?

I'd just like nearly all items, especially weapons, to be available without having to buy extra things from the store or extra games. Call it an experiment if you like. :p Plus I'd have to spend $5 to actually buy the $0.50 rocket jumper, and as soon as I did so, I'd be addicted. I'd be spending $50 a day on keys! Then $500! It's a slippery slop, I tell you what. *waves cane*

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:
Blizard, its in the random drop pool. It will turn up eventually.
But what if I'm a penniless hobo by then?! It could be too late!

I probably won't even use it more than a couple of times. :lol I just thought I would ask if it could be traded since other stuff was showing up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The only thing you can do with it is try to kill people with Taunt Kills and the Shot gun in odd ways, its not meant for battle.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
I'm not made of money man, that thing costs $0.50.

Mostly I'm trying to see if I can get most items by being patient without buying one from the store. If I wait a couple of months to build up items, I could try going the very expensive soldier token crafting route, but if that even works, then it's like a 33% chance of success, right?

I'd just like nearly all items, especially weapons, to be available without having to buy extra things from the store or extra games. Call it an experiment if you like. :p Plus I'd have to spend $5 to actually buy the $0.50 rocket jumper, and as soon as I did so, I'd be addicted. I'd be spending $50 a day on keys! Then $500! It's a slippery slop, I tell you what. *waves cane*

But the Mann Co hat is so good! And you're running out of time. And once you put 5 dollars in and spend 50 cents the remaining 450 can just be spent on steam games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom