• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
(._.) said:
imo that weapon is a downgrade compared to the basic rocket launcher
You lose you splash damage aim compensation with it, which isn't good when you only have 4 shots to make. If you have really good aim, it is an improvement.

I don't like how achievement item's untradable tag never goes away, no matter how many items you craft it into. You could craft ~200 items together into a single hat though rebuilding headgear, and if a single one was untradable that hat is now untradable.

I HAVE A CHIEFTAIN'S HAT FOR TRADE!

Actually have two...so whomever was looking for it, here's yer chance!
I'll give you a Napper's for one.

Yeef

Boonoo said:
The main trouble with the DH is that you lose a lot of utility. Shooting around corners, bouncing people away to protect a medic, defensive spam, kritz use are all better with the original.

I think the DH would need to have something like a 6 rocket clip to begin to really approach the normal RL in usefulness.
There's nothing worse than being kritz'd when you're carrying a direct hit, but I disagree about bouncing. If your aim is immaculate it actually bounces more than the normal rocket launcher and does a mini-crit if you catch someone again mid-bounce which isn't too hard against non-scouts.

I don't think a bigger clip is necessary, but a faster reload speed would be nice.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think the weapon is fine as it is. New weapons aren't supposed to be better then old one in every situation ect ect ect.

IMO I think the Black Box is under powered, but the community seems to love it so I don't think it will be changing. And in retrospect I think upping the damage you take while having the Gunboats on was the right choice, though I think the percentage should be ~75% taken off.

Boonoo

Yeef said:
There's nothing worse than being kritz'd when you're carrying a direct hit, but I disagree about bouncing. If your aim is immaculate it actually bounces more than the normal rocket launcher and does a mini-crit if you catch someone again mid-bounce which isn't too hard against non-scouts.

I don't think a bigger clip is necessary, but a faster reload speed would be nice.

It's not so much the actual bounce but being able to get rid of scouts etc attacking your medic. Having that wider radius makes it easier to push them back.

Ultimatum

Banned
I find the DH to be worse when dealing with scouts, but that's probably just my crappy aim. Although I can only air shot with the DH, I find it really difficult with the normal rocket launcher. Like I said though, the splash reduction of the DH sucks. It's pretty much what makes the normal rocket launcher better in team games. DH is way better for 1v1, and is way more fun, but not as good for harassing or dealing with multiple people... especially when they bunch together in cp/pl maps lol.

(._.)

Banned
Boonoo said:
The main trouble with the DH is that you lose a lot of utility. Shooting around corners, bouncing people away to protect a medic, defensive spam, kritz use are all better with the original.

I think the DH would need to have something like a 6 rocket clip to begin to really approach the normal RL in usefulness.
Pretty much this. The regular rocket launcher does a ton of splash damage as is which is far more useful in most situations. Apart from taking out a sentry like java mentioned I really see no point in building your soldier game around the direct hit. The same can sort of be said with a lot of other weapons in the game. imo Scottish Resistance, Natasha, Force-A-Nature, Backburner, etc... are examples of weapons where the downsides outweigh the added ups. I think I loathe like half of the added weapons in the game.

Blizzard

Banned
(._.) said:
Pretty much this. The regular rocket launcher does a ton of splash damage as is which is far more useful in most situations. Apart from taking out a sentry like java mentioned I really see no point in building your soldier game around the direct hit. The same can sort of be said with a lot of other weapons in the game. imo Scottish Resistance, Natasha, Force-A-Nature, Backburner, etc... are examples of weapons where the downsides outweigh the added ups. I think I loathe like half of the added weapons in the game.
I think they work well in some situations. Some of them are also fun/funny to use. The alternative is a new weapon that's ery good, and then people may complain if (like the equalizer or maybe the ubersaw) it's almost completely better than the original one. I think I saw one or two people saying that the black box is almost completely better than the normal rocket launcher, so there you go -- I don't know that you can ever please everyone.

Yeef

Since Twig is banned again I guess I'll have to say it:

Added weapons that don't make you change your playstyle are boring.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
I think they work well in some situations. Some of them are also fun/funny to use. The alternative is a new weapon that's ery good, and then people may complain if (like the equalizer or maybe the ubersaw) it's almost completely better than the original one. I think I saw one or two people saying that the black box is almost completely better than the normal rocket launcher, so there you go -- I don't know that you can ever please everyone.
See, to me, that extra shot is better then healing. You could be killed by a scout in the time it takes to put in an extra rocket to fire at him.

moojito

While I was waiting to respawn the other day I specced this soldier with a black box rocket jump into a group of people, kill 2 with one shot, another person with his last rocket which also knocked a 4th into the air. He switched to shotgun and took him out mid-air. Awesome stuff. I'll never have that amount of skill!

Yeef said:

Well, it used to have the function of critting (or mini-critting?) anyone who was in the air for roughly any reason, not just being launched by a rocket. I thought that was a nice counter to the usual bunny-hopping Soldiers and such. I know they pulled it because it seemed like too much, but I wish it'd come back. The DH is great, but it does feel like it's missing a little something.

Also, it's funny to hear the complaining from Scouts that think running face-first into a rocket at point-blank range shouldn't kill them.

ecnal

i have a nappers respite (pyro) and hustler's hallmark (demo) hat for trade.

looking for soldier, engi, spy, or sniper hats.

desh

Drkirby said:
I don't like how achievement item's untradable tag never goes away, no matter how many items you craft it into. You could craft ~200 items together into a single hat though rebuilding headgear, and if a single one was untradable that hat is now untradable.

I have been able to remove the untradable tag from crafting achievement items.
1)Craft your achievement items into scrap metal
2)Wait for Valve to perform an update on TF2
3)Scrap metal is now tradable.

Clydefrog

took this recently. makes me :lol

3RoVj.jpg

Drkirby said:
See, to me, that extra shot is better then healing. You could be killed by a scout in the time it takes to put in an extra rocket to fire at him.
But at the same time, if you don't have a medic (or are in a spot where a medic can't reach you), the Black Box becomes very useful. It's also nice that it takes away some of the self-inflicted dmg in close combat. I think it's a good alternative, which more than I can say about the DH, though that one is fun to use as well.

Would be nice if BB gave you 15HP for every guy you hit with the splash though. :D

Brak

Danne-Danger said:
But at the same time, if you don't have a medic (or are in a spot where a medic can't reach you), the Black Box becomes very useful. It's also nice that it takes away some of the self-inflicted dmg in close combat. I think it's a good alternative, which more than I can say about the DH, though that one is fun to use as well.

Would be nice if BB gave you 15HP for every guy you hit with the splash though. :D
This is an interesting point that someone brought up on the kritzcast. Use the Black Box to rocket jump somewhere that a medic couldn't reasonably heal you (on top of point B in Gravel Pit for example); now you are much more self-sufficient up there due to the healing of the Black Box.

I think that's where the Black Box could really shine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I want to work at Valve so I can make the Black Box fire 10 rockets, give +50 health for each person damaged, allow overheal, and have the rockets travels as fast as the Direct Hit. Maybe a little faster.

The buff banner should also do full crits and apply to the whole team, no matter where they are.

Fuck every class that isn't soldier. I am a boss game balancer.

I guess scout is kinda cool.

Anyone have a Lugermorph for trade?

I can give a V. Woopee Cap and a Puglists Protector, plus 4 or 5 crates and some craftable regular items.

Danne-Danger said:
It already does that, it's just the HUD always says +15, even if you heal 30, 45, etc

Remy

balladofwindfishes said:
Anyone have a Lugermorph for trade?

I can give a V. Woopee Cap and a Puglists Protector, plus 4 or 5 crates and some craftable regular items.

That sounds like a deal to me. Will find you on Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stallion Free said:
I want to work at Valve so I can make the Black Box fire 10 rockets, give +50 health for each person damaged, allow overheal, and have the rockets travels as fast as the Direct Hit. Maybe a little faster.

The buff banner should also do full crits and apply to the whole team, no matter where they are.

Fuck every class that isn't soldier. I am a boss game balancer.

I guess scout is kinda cool.
You mean like the Valve Rocket Launcher, but worse?

http://www.tf2items.com/id/robinwalker

Second page, bottom row, 2nd from the left

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Thanks dude, now my item collection is complete (minus obvious Golden Wrench) :D
http://www.tf2items.com/id/ballad

-Every vintage weapon
-All Polycount weapons
-All community weapons
-Frying Pan
-Sam and Max items
-Crit a Cola, GRU and Rocket Jumper

I never spent a dime at the Mann Co Store.
Nice. I have that except for the Sam and Max items (don't really care, never played those games anyway), the rocket jumper, and the polycount hats. I'm saving up metal for the hats, and I have two series 1 crates to get rid of.

Why did you list the GRU and rocket jumper separate from the polycount weapons? :p Also, did you craft the rocket jumper or find someone who had it dropped?

Blizzard said:
Nice. I have that except for the Sam and Max items (don't really care, never played those games anyway), the rocket jumper, and the polycount hats. I'm saving up metal for the hats, and I have two series 1 crates to get rid of.

Why did you list the GRU and rocket jumper separate from the polycount weapons? :p Also, did you craft the rocket jumper or find someone who had it dropped?
The CaC, Gru and Rocket Jumper are Valve made weapons, which I figured didn't fall into the other categories. I forgot Gunboats in that list, but that's such a forgettable weapon, it makes sense that I forgot it.

I traded a FAN for my Rocket Jumper. The guy wanted a Black Box, but got a RJer, so he wanted a primary weapon to use to make another token. I could have told him the recipe for the BB, but I wanted the RJer.

I don't have the Polycount hats, but I'm in the camp that doesn't consider them weapons since the set bonuses are practically non-existant in-game since barely anyone has them

Yasae

Banned
How to make a boring movie: Discuss trade negotiations.
Episode I

How to make a boring thread: Discuss trade negotiations.

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Two new medals
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/User:Nineaxis/Swamp_Pin
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/User:Nineaxis/Mapper's_Medallion

For those who contributed to the swamp theme, and for those who entered the artpass contest.

Hopefully this means we'll be getting some swamp themed levels soon. That would be awesome!
And at long last, Left 4 Dead meets Half-life 2 meets Team Fortress 2 meets Portal, with a swamp level featuring hard rain and headcrab robot zombies.

(._.)

Banned
I played one of the Artpass maps that won. One will definitely be added around Halloween like they did last year. LOVE the new Halloween map. It's a linear attack/defend map that has three points instead of two. It is also visually stunning, so much detail.

Blizzard

Banned
(._.) said:
I played one of the Artpass maps that won. One will definitely be added around Halloween like they did last year. LOVE the new Halloween map. It's a linear attack/defend map that has three points instead of two. It is also visually stunning, so much detail.
Does it drop one's framerate to 30 and below like Harvest? :(

(._.)

Banned
I wasn't having any problems, lol. It tops Harvest easily in every way. I like Harvest also. Halloween update this year will probably be like tenfold better than last year.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
Does it drop one's framerate to 30 and below like Harvest? :(
Once they add the ghost it should! But if they don't, we will be fine.

I have an extra series 2 crate and a Powerjack, anyone want/need them? Still need the Mackerel, Mad Milk, Darwin's Danger Shield, Sydney Sleeper, Bushwacka, Black Box, and Battalion's Back-up.

I want the Black Box most of all, its the only one I can see my self using any time soon.

On anther note, do you think we should mix up the rotation now, or should wait a few more months? I like rotation, but we can't keep it the same thing for months on end IMO.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
On anther note, do you think we should mix up the rotation now, or should wait a few more months? I like rotation, but we can't keep it the same thing for months on end IMO.
I think we should have more custom maps. Panic and Brickyard especially.

desh

Drkirby said:
Once they add the ghost it should! But if they don't, we will be fine.

I have an extra series 2 crate and a Powerjack, anyone want/need them? Still need the Mackerel, Mad Milk, Darwin's Danger Shield, Sydney Sleeper, Bushwacka, Black Box, and Battalion's Back-up.

I want the Black Box most of all, its the only one I can see my self using any time soon.

I don't have the powerjack yet, but i'm not sure if i have anything you want for it.

http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom