• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

So I just signed on, and somehow I got five items. Maybe I was playing on a server last night that wasn't connected to Steam or something and I didn't get the drops at that time. But I only played on that server for maybe an hour, I got crazy lucky. Too bad all I got was a Direct Hit (have it), two Flare Guns (have it, and just crafted two of them into a scrap metal before this), Frontier Justice (achievement item, don't have it), and a crate (boooo). I just smelted my extras and now I have a reclaimed metal. I kind of want to make an Eternal Reward, but I only have one Cloak and Dagger and I'm anal about crafting items in which I only have one of.

Yasae

Banned
Forkball said:
So I just signed on, and somehow I got five items. Maybe I was playing on a server last night that wasn't connected to Steam or something and I didn't get the drops at that time. But I only played on that server for maybe an hour, I got crazy lucky. Too bad all I got was a Direct Hit (have it), two Flare Guns (have it, and just crafted two of them into a scrap metal before this), Frontier Justice (achievement item, don't have it), and a crate (boooo). I just smelted my extras and now I have a reclaimed metal. I kind of want to make an Eternal Reward, but I only have one Cloak and Dagger and I'm anal about crafting items in which I only have one of.
:lol anal.

Sorry can't help myself.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
Its more then I would expect.
If Valve had any balls, they'd go 35% - the way it should be.

If they had any business sense, they would've gone flat fee like the map designer. I have a strong feeling there was negotiation rather than the usual corporate iron fist. Residual income is extremely rare for derivative works or additional contributions. And what of their in-house artists? Are they stuck on unpaid overtime?

There are a lot of terms we're not seeing. It's too much for too little, even if the submissions were good on the whole.

Dug

Banned
Does Valve hate me or something? I keep on getting crate drops, but I'm not going to buy keys anytime soon. :lol

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Dug said:
Does Valve hate me or something? I keep on getting crate drops, but I'm not going to buy keys anytime soon. :lol

About a third of my drops have been crates since the update. annoying

(._.)

Banned
Yasae said:
If Valve had any balls, they'd go 35% - the way it should be.

If they had any business sense, they would've gone flat fee like the map designer. I have a strong feeling there was negotiation rather than the usual corporate iron fist. Residual income is extremely rare for derivative works or additional contributions. And what of their in-house artists? Are they stuck on unpaid overtime?

There are a lot of terms we're not seeing. It's too much for too little, even if the submissions were good on the whole.
Some of the Polycount winners are getting paid almost a starting salary for a decent level modeling job. All for creating just a set of items for one class and contributing in ideas while being balanced, iirc.

Ketch

Does anyone have any 3D modeling experience? About how many hours you think went into creating something like the croc-o-style kit?

Maybe these guys will just be out right hired by valve anyway, isn't that sort of how they do things?

Boonoo

From what I understand some of the polycount winners are already professional modelers. I heard the woman that made the spy pack works for id.

Also, since I need to get this to another computer, and I don't feel like email myself here's the best way to idle.

In notepad paste

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -textmode +sv_password "ffffffffff" +map achievement_idle

You don't need the (x86) if you're not on a 64 bit system.

and save it as a .bat file. "idle.bat" with quotes intact will do it.

This will run tf2 in textmode in offline practice. You'll still get item drops.

Not that idling is really an issue or a necessity, but if you can't hit the weekly cap and want all your items this is the way to do it.

snack

Boonoo said:
From what I understand some of the polycount winners are already professional modelers. I heard the woman that made the spy pack works for id.

Also, since I need to get this to another computer, and I don't feel like email myself here's the best way to idle.

In notepad paste

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 440 -nosound -textmode +sv_password "ffffffffff" +map achievement_idle

You don't need the (x86) if you're not on a 64 bit system.

and save it as a .bat file. "idle.bat" with quotes intact will do it.

This will run tf2 in textmode in offline practice. You'll still get item drops.

Not that idling is really an issue or a necessity, but if you can't hit the weekly cap and want all your items this is the way to do it.
Thanks. I will try this out tonight.

Iadien

EmCeeGramr said:
Crates work on a separate drop system. It's not taking away from your normal item drops.

Yes, but I'd rather have it turned off completely.

moojito

For a while there I was just deleting crates as I got them, but I heard rumblings about keys being tradable, maybe discoverable and just keep them now.

What would I have to trade to get a spy fez? Is another new class hat or a number of other hats combined my only hope? I saw someone offering a trade - 3 normal hats for any of the new hats. Seemed a bit extreme to me.

Boonoo

moojito said:
For a while there I was just deleting crates as I got them, but I heard rumblings about keys being tradable, maybe discoverable and just keep them now.

What would I have to trade to get a spy fez? Is another new class hat or a number of other hats combined my only hope? I saw someone offering a trade - 3 normal hats for any of the new hats. Seemed a bit extreme to me.

I've been able to get 1-2 scrap a crate. As long as people are trading for them they're worth more than a standard weapon drop, so I don't mind them at all.

On a related note I found a name tag, will trade for any hat.

snack said:
Thanks. I will try this out tonight.

One thing to note, if you don't have achievement_idle you'll have to put in a different map.

Boonoo

Accessing the Mann Co. store will do the trick. If you're every gifted an item in game you can also just go to the store to get your drop.

Yasae

Banned
(._.) said:
Some of the Polycount winners are getting paid almost a starting salary for a decent level modeling job. All for creating just a set of items for one class and contributing in ideas while being balanced, iirc.
Well if you're going to play residuals, you play the fucking game. Not this 25% bullshit. But that would require these submissions being worth a percentage of gross, and they're not.

The demand they created with these items is worth the money earned so far - Valve knows and is laughing all the way to the bank. Again, why don't their in-house artists get a cut from their creations? It's going to be worth considerably more than a starting salary by the end of this for drastically less work.

moojito

The vibe I got from the statement about this was that valve want to pimp out this in game store thing to other games. And what better way to get good, free publicity than the "some kids get loads of money for creating stuff" story, even though it turns out some of them were pros, etc.

While I'm here, anyone interested in spy videos should check out some of this guy's work: http://www.youtube.com/user/TonePottery

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yasae said:
Well if you're going to play residuals, you play the fucking game. Not this 25% bullshit. But that would require these submissions being worth a percentage of gross, and they're not.

The demand they created with these items is worth the money earned so far - Valve knows and is laughing all the way to the bank. Again, why don't their in-house artists get a cut from their creations? It's going to be worth considerably more than a starting salary by the end of this for drastically less work.
It is possible their in house employees get very generous bonuses for each sucessful game. And it sounds like Valve wasn't expecting the hats to sell as well as they did, I bet they expected 1/10th the sales.

I was trying to play some TF2 today, but I cant find any servers.
does anyone know how to fix this?
I already tried re-installing the game, didnt help.

Boonoo

It could be a router issue. Have you tried looking for servers just through steam? Is it only TF2 that doesn't show up?

Ketch

Occasionally my server browser has issues getting server information as well. I guess it's a bug or some kind of connection issue, but normally I just jam on the refresh button about 100 times and it fixes right up.

Iadien

DesertEater said:
I was trying to play some TF2 today, but I cant find any servers.
does anyone know how to fix this?
I already tried re-installing the game, didnt help.

This happens to me temporarily every time I start up TF2. This first started happening with a semi-recent patch.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
It is possible their in house employees get very generous bonuses for each sucessful game. And it sounds like Valve wasn't expecting the hats to sell as well as they did, I bet they expected 1/10th the sales.
Their producers and directors get bonuses and/or percentages of a game's gross, but I doubt anyone working under them does.

Whatever. All they did was model a few items. Their contributions are a drop in the bucket.

Now let me boot up TF2 real quick....

desh

MisterAnderson said:
Can you run out of "crate drops" like you can regular loot items per week? Is there a cap to how many crates drop?

I believe so. For the past two weeks I've been putting in a lot of playing time, and last week I didn't get a drops starting Friday, and the week before I didn't get any drops starting Saturday. For both weeks, once Wednesday night at about 7 pm pacific time came around, I started getting drops again.

SyNapSe

Drkirby said:
And it sounds like Valve wasn't expecting the hats to sell as well as they did, I bet they expected 1/10th the sales.

While the micro-transaction gig clearly works well, I think a lot of people spent a decent chunk of change in the store in return for the endless months of support at no cost.

moojito

I'm rubbish with the dead ringer. I hate not being able to decide when to cloak. Even with the normal invis watch I'm finding some wary snipers hearing the sound of me decloaking near them, so I'm still after the set bonus.

Blizzard

Banned
Yasae said:
Uh... I can't hear the decloak at all for Eternal Reward + DR. That's bugged and game-breaking.
Yeah, I hate spy and pyro (well, all other classes too). Setting things on fire is almost as unfair as becoming completely invisible. In most games, being invisible would be considered HACKING. :mad:

Also, I thought it just reduced the sound instead of making dead ringer completely silent. The only good news for that weapon combination is that they have no other choice but to try to attack their first victim with a knife and no cloak, since pistol + facestab presumably doesn't get them a disguise. If you see an uncloaked fez spy running around, you kinda know what to expect, and you'll only have to kill them once or twice.

Ultimatum

Banned
hmm it feels like my hit rate with the direct hit is higher when the other person is in the air lol. so gratifying killing people that way.

Yeef

(._.) said:
imo that weapon is a downgrade compared to the basic rocket launcher
If you have good aim it's better because it does a lot more damage and shoots faster. If you can't aim then it's not very good. I generally find it more entertaining than the normal rocket launcher.

Boonoo

The main trouble with the DH is that you lose a lot of utility. Shooting around corners, bouncing people away to protect a medic, defensive spam, kritz use are all better with the original.

I think the DH would need to have something like a 6 rocket clip to begin to really approach the normal RL in usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom