• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

corn_fest

Update just released:
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Engine (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2: Deathmatch)
Fixed a dedicated server crash when HLTV disconnects
Fixed a crash in the materialsystem

Team Fortress 2
Fixed a bug with the Horseless Headless Horsemann falling through playerclip ladders
Fixed a bug with grenades sometimes exploding on friendly players
Fixed the Sticky Jumper doing damage to enemies
Fixed spectators collecting the Haunted Halloween Gift in Mann Manor
Fixed trading the Saxton Hale Mask granting the achievement to the recipient
Fixed the Candy Coroner achievement not awarding the Mildly Disturbing Halloween Mask
Updated Mann Manor
Improved clipping to prevent players from getting out of the map and to fix various exploit ledges
Updated the Ghastlier Gibus to be tradable
Updated the localization files

sharkmuncher said:
I want to join, but my link to the GAF server in my favorites is gone and when I try to re-add it finds it and then nothing happens. I just want to play :(
If there's anyone from GAF on your friends list playing on the server, click the dropdown menu next to their name and join.

The_Technomancer said:
Just tried to join the GAF server and was told it was running an old version of the game. Anyone else have the same problem?

I finally got connected to the GAF server and was greeted with this message, still can't play

Proven

The_Technomancer said:
Its empty I think because of the update. As for the password...its not that difficult to guess ;)

You'd be amazed at how inept I can be.

Edit: And now I know that steam is cap sensitive.

Yeef

logo.png

Hint: password is NOT neogaf.

Greyvvolf

snack said:
What color are these gift drops?
The gift box is green with a yellow bow. The size of the gift box is actually pretty big too. You can't miss it... that's if you actually get a chance to even see it. I finally saw one after 6 hours or so of playing since the event started.

Anybody plan on making a private password protected server of 12 people to try get some masks?

snack

Greyvvolf said:
The gift box is green with a yellow bow. The size of the gift box is actually pretty big too. You can't miss it... that's if you actually get a chance to even see it. I finally saw one after 6 hours or so of playing since the event started.

Anybody plan on making a private password protected server of 12 people to try get some masks?
Thanks.

I'd be down for a private server mask grab session. :D
ID: Japanator

Javaman

Greyvvolf said:

No luck on my end yet. I've yet to see the gift or sucessfully melee/kill the headless. I'll probably switch it to a "cheesemint" server during the last couple of days.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What can you switch? Other then lowering the player cap and instant respawn, there isn't much you can do.

Also, I would just go as a solder and hit him with your melee, you don't have to get a melee kill, just hit him with the melee near his death.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Drkirby said:
What can you switch? Other then lowering the player cap and instant respawn, there isn't much you can do.

Also, I would just go as a solder and hit him with your melee, you don't have to get a melee kill, just hit him with the melee near his death.
I got the metal/pumpkin by wailing on him with my Eyelander

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Greyvvolf said:

The one time I got a gift it was pure luck. First time spawning after the update right in front of the manor. It was clipping through the floorboard so it looked smaller than it normally does.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Don't know if this works.... but for those who just want to get it...

Start your own server on the mansion level.

Type
sv_cheats 1; noclip; hurtme -9999999; bot; tf_halloween_force_boss_spawn; sv_cheats 0

Shoot with heavy (100 ammo should get him down)

Melee with scout till he dies.

Got sent that saying that it works. I was playing in a fun server and people used the opportunity to kill people who were just meleeing. Kinda mean.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Great gameplay with GAF members today. I never joined the GAF server because I always though ping would suck (me being from Brazil and everything), but i was really bored of the 32 player servers my country insists in creating.

So I joined and was getting 175 ping and it was still VERY playable and enjoyable. Awesome server.

Will join again.

Edit: I also wonder if I can keep and craft the Haunted Metal after Halloween. I have nowhere near enough weapons to create two refined metals right now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
IMO, the Horsemann achievements are easy. Some are having bad luck with them, but they aren't too hard with a large group. Its the masks that are hard to get.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just to clarify, since I was being called out for shooting people in TF2 yesterday - is the GAF server officially turning into a baby group zerg whenever the horseman is up?

Hugbot

Drkirby said:
IMO, the Horsemann achievements are easy. Some are having bad luck with them, but they aren't too hard with a large group. Its the masks that are hard to get.
I had some luck yesterday running a timer while playing - the gifts spawn on a very rigid timer so you just need to be alive when it pops and ready to look for it. It has a fade-in time though and I got killed while standing on it waiting one time, which was a bummer. There were conflicting reports of it spawning in one of several set locations or anywhere on the nav mesh though - personally the nav mesh sounds more likely as there are one or two places where it can spawn outside of reachable space.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lyphen said:
Just to clarify, since I was being called out for shooting people in TF2 yesterday - is the GAF server officially turning into a baby group zerg whenever the horseman is up?
Yeah it's kind of a dick thing to do. Part of the fun of the Horseman is that everyone works together to take him down.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Stallion Free said:
Yeah it's kind of a dick thing to do. Part of the fun of the Horseman is that everyone works together to take him down.
Guess I'll stick to IGNPC until the 8th. :<

Babies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
drizzle said:
Might as well kick sick dogs on the streets and burn houses down in minecraft.. jackass..
Only my team deserves the glory a Horseman kill which yields absolutely nothing after the achievements! And as far as I know, I'm fighting men with guns!

2gv8q6w.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lyphen said:
I don't know, I know its slightly assholeish, but I just shoot any red I saw quickly then went back to the horsemann. Really easy to do when you are on the very top area and red team is "it" down below at C.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Lyphen said:
Only my team deserves the glory a Horseman kill which yields absolutely nothing after the achievements! And as far as I know, I'm fighting men with guns!
Drkirby said:
I don't know, I know its slightly assholeish, but I just shot any red I saw quickly then went back to the horsemann. Really easy to do when you are on the very top area and red team is "it"
It's also easy to do when you already got both the achievement and the unusual metal. Fuck everybody else right?

On the first day I could get by not killing each other when the Horsemann showed up, but right now I'll either just kite the HHH back to my base and/or exterminate whoever from the opposing team is around, because somebody on the other side is going to be an ass and kill me anyway.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's an FPS man, killing the other team isn't being an asshole. If someone really wants to ruin the game by crying about being shot at, then cheat your way with the console command so you can get back to playing TF2.

Edit: But whatever, like I said, if thats what the GAF server is looking for, it isn't like I need to force my ideals instead of having a good time elsewhere.

Proven

The way I see it: It's TF2. It's always about RED vs. BLU. If the Horseless Headless Horseman was a server event, then everyone on the server would already be on color. Instead, we get the interesting situation of having a third party join the field, as well as a second objective to fight over. My only problem now is that Manor feels more like a comp map than a map good for big team battles.

Hugbot

Lyphen said:
It's an FPS man, killing the other team isn't being an asshole. If someone really wants to ruin the game by crying about being shot at, then cheat your way with the console command so you can get back to playing TF2.

Edit: But whatever, like I said, if thats what the GAF server is looking for, it isn't like I need to force my ideals instead of having a good time elsewhere.
Exactly. On just about every server I was playing on while waiting for slots in the servers I actually like, people would use the HHH to help defend points and generally take in some kills off of him. On the LCs and the GAF server, people generally didn't fight while he was up and just wailed on him. I tend to just go with the flow on that kind of stuff, it sucks being the guy not shooting the other team when people are killing while he's up and it sucks when one or two dudes are the only ones picking off people chasing him around and whacking him. That's my take on it at least - I don't really prefer one or the other but I like when there's an agreement in place.

Remy

Are we seriously having a whiny titty babby moment?

Should we also have a formal agreement to stop shooting each other for the 5-15 seconds the gifts appear, as well as the two minutes before it might appear because everyone should be spawned when the gift appears? No, we should NOT.

What next - no kills during humiliation? NOT cutting our way out of primate hell?

I'm going to quote Proven because he is right:

It's TF2. It's always about RED vs. BLU. If the Horseless Headless Horseman was a server event, then everyone on the server would already be on color. Instead, we get the interesting situation of having a third party join the field, as well as a second objective to fight over.

HHH spawns every 8 minutes or so. If you don't get to kill him because someone gibbed you, get him next time. Sheesh.

Hugbot

Remy said:
HHH spawns every 8 minutes or so. If you don't get to kill him because someone gibbed you, get him next time. Sheesh.
I played on a few rounds where the agreement was that you wouldn't really shoot the people killing him while he was up and it worked fine, and plenty of pubs where there's a de facto agreement that you are just going to use him to kill the other team because no one knows each other anyway. It works fine either way. It's really whatever though, it's not like we need to form a committee and discuss this, it's up to the people on at the time as to which way it goes.

Also it would be neat if the team that killed him got a bonus or something

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hugbot said:
Exactly. On just about every server I was playing on while waiting for slots in the servers I actually like, people would use the HHH to help defend points and generally take in some kills off of him. On the LCs and the GAF server, people generally didn't fight while he was up and just wailed on him. I tend to just go with the flow on that kind of stuff, it sucks being the guy not shooting the other team when people are killing while he's up and it sucks when one or two dudes are the only ones picking off people chasing him around and whacking him. That's my take on it at least - I don't really prefer one or the other but I like when there's an agreement in place.
This is the only post that makes any sense on the subject at hand. Everybody else can shut it, and move on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder how long it will take to make a mod to allow you to play as the Horsemann, or spawn him in other maps. Stalemate in 2fort? SPAWN THE HORSEMANN! Getting steamrolled by Blue? SPAWN THE HORSEMANN! Team stack? BECOME THE HORSEMANN!

Also, I want my old Gibus :/

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Lyphen said:

I usually get the achievements and then play on other maps. The new manor map is horribly designed anyway.

Ketch

I really like the new map, until you get into the mansion. Has anybody looked at the non-event version of this? I'm assuming that the layout inside of red's "base" is gonna be the same as the mansion, but I havn't seen it yet.

Clydefrog

Drkirby said:
I wonder how long it will take to make a mod to allow you to play as the Horsemann, or spawn him in other maps. Stalemate in 2fort? SPAWN THE HORSEMANN! Getting steamrolled by Blue? SPAWN THE HORSEMANN! Team stack? BECOME THE HORSEMANN!

Also, I want my old Gibus :/

That would be JAWSOME!

What happened to your Gibus?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey rac, how do you feel that valve changed how the black paint on the Troublemaker's Tossle Cap looks :lol

It became slightly spookier, I imagine.
It is far to spooky now!

Also, now that Valve has added console commands to start up trades dirrectly, I wonder if someone is going to make a way to do a TF2 trade without starting the game up. The trading boards would likely get much more active, for better or worse :lol

Clydefrog

Oh, they changed the Gibus for the Halloween update?

In other news, I did get the unusual metal and the pumpkin head last night! AND I found a present! (got a demoman mask)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom