• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ookami-kun said:
Just wondering - have you guys been banned for doing the Heavy and Engineer glitches?
1) You should not of been able to be vac banned for it.
2) You would likely get banned from servers for it though
3) It was just fixed in the last patch.

MNC

Drkirby said:
NOT OF NOT OF NOT OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

/twig

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Drkirby said:

Yeah I know, still kinda fun doing it in non-serious servers/servers you don't go to.

So does anyone have any tips for effectively meleeing?

I keep trying to hit the other player, but end up constantly not turning the right amount when the player is behind or completely guessing wrong where the player is around me.

And what is the value rate of vintage weapons compared to regular weapons?

Yeef

The way this game handles melee is terrible, but that's part of what makes it amusing. Between the actual melee mechanics and lag compensation meleeing face-to-face is like playing the lottery. It's best to melee if you can catch the person off guard.

If you want some info on the actual mechanics, read this: http://technofovea.com/blog/archives/278

Twig

Banned
Pretty much everyone who wants their vintage weapon sets probably has them by now, so they're not really worth much anymore.

If you're lucky, you can get a piece of scrap metal, I suppose.
Yeef said:
The way this game handles melee is terrible, but that's part of what makes it amusing. Between the actual melee mechanics and lag compensation meleeing face-to-face is like playing the lottery. It's best to melee if you can catch the person off guard.

If you want some info on the actual mechanics, read this: http://technofovea.com/blog/archives/278
Man, I completely disagree.

I utterly despise melee in this game, except for demo swordsman just because they found a way to make me overlook the flaws.

But it's so fucking frustrating. Ugh.

also

NOT OFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!

Yeef

Twig said:
Pretty much everyone who wants their vintage weapon sets probably has them by now, so they're not really worth much anymore.

If you're lucky, you can get a piece of scrap metal, I suppose.

Man, I completely disagree.

I utterly despise melee in this game, except for demo swordsman just because they found a way to make me overlook the flaws.

But it's so fucking frustrating. Ugh.
It can be frustrating when you're playing for real, but in those matches where everyone is running around as a punching Heavy or otherwise being silly it's tons of fun.

I remember having a melee only duel on top of the bridge in 2fort and it was excellent.

Instro

So I saw a Heavy yesterday using the Iron Curtain(the new gun from Poker Night). Im confused as to how he got it when the game hasnt even unlocked yet? Is it also a random drop now or something?

Twig

Banned
Melee only is not fun. God I hate melee only.
Instro said:
So I saw a Heavy yesterday using the Iron Curtain(the new gun from Poker Night). Im confused as to how he got it when the game hasnt even unlocked yet? Is it also a random drop now or something?
You can craft it using a heavy token.

1-D_FTW

Dug said:
whatthe.jpg

Uh, am I the only one thats update is 4,000 mega bites?

No. Mines at 4.1 GBs too. Loaded up Steam and was WTF. Update paused.

EDIT: Actually I'm at 4.123 GB so I'm the biggest loser.

Boonoo

Are you on a FAT32 system? I've heard that that could be the reason since they reconfigured the files so that none would be bigger than 4gigs.

MNC

Twig said:
Except I also hated melee only when I still had only 20 ping and didn't play spy.

Shit is awful anti-fun.
Uhm, your gaf name wasn't Twig before right....... Seriously it was only your steam name right I totally forgot your gaf name

AcridMeat

Banned
Silly glitch happened today, sucked for the other team.
94xxk.jpg

I also would like some advice. I've been slowly working my way to crafting a hat. I don't play a ton so it has taken months and months and months but I have 2 of the highest metal and now 2 refined.

What I want to know is whether I should go for a regular ass hat or go for a class token as well. I really want the brain slug for the pyro, but that means I would have to get two more of the highest metals and wait until I can craft the token. I know there's not even that great of a chance of crafting the brain slug hat and who knows when I'll have the materials to craft a hat again.

It's another reason why I kind of want to craft a normal hat so I can use it with all classes.

corn_fest

AcridMeat said:
I also would like some advice. I've been slowly working my way to crafting a hat. I don't play a ton so it has taken months and months and months but I have 2 of the highest metal and now 2 refined.

What I want to know is whether I should go for a regular ass hat or go for a class token as well. I really want the brain slug for the pyro, but that means I would have to get two more of the highest metals and wait until I can craft the token. I know there's not even that great of a chance of crafting the brain slug hat and who knows when I'll have the materials to craft a hat again.

It's another reason why I kind of want to craft a normal hat so I can use it with all classes.
Crafting a random hat does not necessarily result in an all-class hat. You may be able to trade whatever you get for a brain slug, so I would just craft a random hat.

AcridMeat

Banned
corn_fest said:
Crafting a random hat does not necessarily result in an all-class hat. You may be able to trade whatever you get for a brain slug, so I would just craft a random hat.

Oh I see. I was under the impression that crafting a hat means crafting for all classes and you have to craft with a token to get one of the class specific hats.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
For once, we agree. Although I don't mind it in a sudden death setting.
Your bad taste isn't all bad, after all! And, yeah, it's okay for sudden death, because sudden death is meaningless anyway.

MNC said:
Uhm, your gaf name wasn't Twig before right....... Seriously it was only your steam name right I totally forgot your gaf name
I've been Twig for years and years.
but when i first joined gaf i was "TheOneGuy" here - then i changed it to twig to avoid confusion

Fun fact: my first Steam name was "Pwee Master." No, I don't know what the fuck it means. U:

Boonoo

AcridMeat said:

If you just craft three refined together you have a chance at any hat. There's a good chance that the hat you'll get could easily be traded for a brain slug. You may have bad luck and get a hatless or something though.

You're best chance of getting exactly what you want is waiting for 4 refined and crafting a polycount hat (4 refined plus a polycount item from that class). You'll be able to trade that for 2 normal hats pretty easily. So you could get the brain slug plus something else.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If you are willing to include your soul into the offer, you can likely get a normal brain slug for 2 Refined on a TF2 treading site or board.

Boonoo

I kind of want a brain slug now. I think it would look great in blue and red with the team spirit paint.

Speaking of Team Spirit paint, anyone know if it drops (or can you only buy it)?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
I kind of want a brain slug now. I think it would look great in blue and red with the team spirit paint.

Speaking of Team Spirit paint, anyone know if it drops (or can you only buy it)?
Nope, no drops. They will likely add it to the next crate series IMO though, or else the paint is going to be worth more then most hats :lol

Anywhere I can go to see how things look in Team Spirit? Only seen Bill's Hat so far.

Yeef

Stop jumping on the brain slug bandwagon. I hope everyone's gets deleted except for mine.

Anyway, it's fairly easy to get a non-vintage brain slug by trading less metal than it would take to craft a random hat. You could probably get one right now if you look hard enough.

Also, melee-only is awesome. Especially on KOTH maps.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Okay, I've been playing TF2 a lot more lately. Can someone explain to me all the item crap? Like I have 2 supply crates but I can't open them?

And apparently I can make items?

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Nope, no drops. They will likely add it to the next crate series IMO though, or else the paint is going to be worth more then most hats :lol

Anywhere I can go to see how things look in Team Spirit? Only seen Bill's Hat so far.

I imagine they'll be added to the wiki soon enough.

Okay, I've been playing TF2 a lot more lately. Can someone explain to me all the item crap? Like I have 2 supply crates but I can't open them?

And apparently I can make items?

Your best bet is just perusing the official TF2 Wiki.

Crates can only be opened with keys which can either be bought or traded for. You can usually trade crates for 1 or 2 scrap if you don't want to open them.

There are several things that can only be found in crates. White and Black paint (hopefully team spirit paint soon enough) and unusual hats.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Did valve mess with the Mouse Sensitivity Settings, I can't seem to get it right at the moment after messing with some other settings.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Did valve mess with the Mouse Sensitivity Settings, I can't seem to get it right at the moment after messing with some other settings.

One of the biggest changes they made this patch was to mouse settings. I'm not sure if acceleration is now off (you used to have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it off before) by default, but if it is that may be the change you're feeling. If it's off you should leave it that way and get used to it. Acceleration is bad.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just Checked, my mouse never had acceleration on, but some how my mouse sensitivity magically got turned down. I decided to turn acceleration on for a second and good god.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Crappy Laptop mouse didn't fix it ether, n0b's FPS fix made TF2 look like utter crap and messed up my mouse. Now I need to fix the fix :/

commissar

Drkirby said:
Crappy Laptop mouse didn't fix it ether, n0b's FPS fix made TF2 look like utter crap and messed up my mouse. Now I need to fix the fix :/

That config fixed the 10fps I'd get when itunes changes songs but broke my mouse too.
Also causes random lag spikes by about 150ms every now and then :(

MNC

Twig said:
Your bad taste isn't all bad, after all! And, yeah, it's okay for sudden death, because sudden death is meaningless anyway.

I've been Twig for years and years.
but when i first joined gaf i was "TheOneGuy" here - then i changed it to twig to avoid confusion

Fun fact: my first Steam name was "Pwee Master." No, I don't know what the fuck it means. U:
OH YEAH THEONEGUY

Seriously you really are like "That one guy" :V
guilty I'm the one nobody ever remembers lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom