• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
Also, GAF people suck at the game (except me 'cause I'm the best).
They do not, I goto pub play and easily get to the top of the ranks, I goto the gaf server and have stats like 5 kills 27 deaths. We are clearly above average!

Clydefrog

Crafting question:

I have 3 refined now from crafting my drops together over a period of time. Once I get my fourth refined, should I:

a. Use them with the purple metal I got during Halloween to craft some sort of Halloween hat.

b. Use them with a class token to create a class-specific hat (that's how that works, right?) I think I have a pyro, soldier, and sniper token.

c. Do something else with all this damned metal that I've saved up for a while.

thx

edit: I already have a sniper hat (the yellow bandana), ze goggles, napper's respite, soldier's pot.... I think that's it.

rac

Banned
Boonoo said:
Communication is key. Make sure you have a mic and make sure you use it. Let people know when you've killed someone, when you're dead, when you hear them get uber, when you see them moving, etc.
When I was playing on tf2lobby barely anyone was using a mic. It was still fun though.

Clydefrog said:
Crafting question:

I have 3 refined now from crafting my drops together over a period of time. Once I get my fourth refined, should I:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490735&page=1153
Try to get a good deal on trading metal for hats. You'll save yourself metal.

desh

Clydefrog said:
Crafting question:

a. Use them with the purple metal I got during Halloween to craft some sort of Halloween hat.

b. Use them with a class token to create a class-specific hat (that's how that works, right?) I think I have a pyro, soldier, and sniper token.

thx

edit: I already have a sniper hat (the yellow bandana), ze goggles, napper's respite, soldier's pot.... I think that's it.

a. This is a gray area, I'm not sure how well the Skull and Juju are trading, so it might be worth it.

b. Definitely DO NOT do this. You are throwing away metal, you could almost get 4 hats with each of your refined metal if you trade properly. Although those hats would be low in demand, but you should be able to get almost any non vintage (craftable) hat for 2 refined metal or less.

c. Metal is the currency of TF2, so use to "buy" stuff that you want in the trading forums.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can make a Polycount hat with 4 of them, which I had to do after not being able to find anyone who would even do the trade of 3 refined + 2 reclaimed for the Pyro one.

Yeef

If you're after a set hat and can't find someone willing to trade for your metal I say just go ahead and craft it. (4 refined + any weapon from the set).

If you're looking for a non-set hat you can usually trade it for less metal than it'd take to craft.

You could also hold onto your metal and weapons until the next patch hits which is rumored to be a medic set with some extra weapons for other classes. Who knows when that will be though. Knowing Valve there's no telling!

Boonoo

rac said:
When I was playing on tf2lobby barely anyone was using a mic. It was still fun though.

Yah, it's full of baddies. If you use your mic your team has a much better chance of winning, though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you're starting out as a medic in 6v6, pm me or add me on steam and I'll give you a few pointers. Pet's also an excellent resource...whenever he graces us with his presence :p

Buff order really only applies in the opening round, there's a whole host of other crap to worry about during regular play.

Scout, just guard the goddamn flanks and most people will be fine.

Solly...you might want to wait til you're good with jumps.

Demo, be sure you know the good sneaky traps, aiming with pills, range and exploding distance for stickies (the BIG thing is that you can toss stickies in the air and detonate them before they hit the ground)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think Valve may squeeze 2 more in this year. One this month for the new game mode, and a festive event update in December.

rac

Banned
This might be my last trade ever.
I want to trade my Ol' Snaggletooth and non vintage whiskered for vintage whiskered.
Help me out.

Yeef

I had some great spying tonight. I haven't played Spy in a long time, but I feel like I've gotten better at the class despite that. Maybe it's osmosis or something.

Orellio said:
soldier. I dont get it, it's stupid.
He knows. That's just his way of complaining.

Forkball

So how much is paint worth? It seems that most people trade paint for other colors of paint, so it's hard to gauge what else to trade for some.

Forkball said:
So how much is paint worth? It seems that most people trade paint for other colors of paint, so it's hard to gauge what else to trade for some.

I think Black (A Distinctive Lack of Hue) and White (An Extraordinary Abundance of Tinge) are the rarest colors, you could only get them via crates, although I'm not sure if that's still true or not. So it stands to reason those two would be worth more than the other colors.

Edit: Apparently not.

Edit 2: Apparently apparently not? Would be nice if people knew for sure before correcting me. I get enough contrary replies to my posts as it is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kulock said:
I think Black (A Distinctive Lack of Hue) and White (An Extraordinary Abundance of Tinge) are the rarest colors, you could only get them via crates, although I'm not sure if that's still true or not. So it stands to reason those two would be worth more than the other colors.
Those are flooded with crate #1's people got. Pretty sure those are the most common and unwanted.

desh

Hazaro said:
Those are flooded with crate #1's people got. Pretty sure those are the most common and unwanted.

Aren't the black and white paints the only ones that don't drop normally in the game, and can only be obtained through opening a crate? They certainly used to be the most sought after paints, has that changed?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hazaro said:
No, they are the ones that go for the most due to people not being able to find them in random drops.

rac

Banned
Clydefrog said:
So I should be ashamed that I have black paint? It means I opened a crate :(

I have purple paint too though!
Yes be ashamed. I will only forgive you if you give the paint to me.

n0b

Kuro Madoushi said:
be sure you know the good sneaky traps

This makes no sense. A trap that you know is a trap that the enemy can know, therefore it is not sneaky.

Its called learn the chokepoints, watch the patterns, learn where they are going to go to avoid your trap, and get them there too. Then you can make any place a trap.

The biggest beginner protip: TF2 is about two things: Movement and Range.

Before you are good in 6v6 you have to know how to use most of your class' full movement potential, and you have to know the effective ranges for your guns intuitively. Even as medic, learn to fight, then just don't do it unless you have to.

Boonoo

n0b said:
This makes no sense. A trap that you know is a trap that the enemy can know, therefore it is not sneaky.

Its called learn the chokepoints, watch the patterns, learn where they are going to go to avoid your trap, and get them there too. Then you can make any place a trap.

There are quite a few spots where stickies are undetectable--inside rocks or other objects. Those are sneaky no matter who knows about them. And there are still any number of places that are sneaky even with traps out in the open. Knowing how to place your stickies is important, too.

As far as avoiding traps, it's not so much a matter of finding new routes as it is getting good about checking for stickies--one of the pocket soldier's main jobs is checking for traps. Often times people will be in a rush and won't check for them, though.

And in a lot of places the demo can sticky all paths at once. (gran mid to yard, for example. He can sticky the garage and the closet and watch both at the same time. If his stickies are well hidden he may catch an impatient scout or soldier.) Efficient demoing forces early uber pops (since you'll have to pop to push through the stickies); that's why getting a demo pick can be so advantageous, because you can push in and pop once you're there.

Twig

Banned
But the point is, if you know that you can put stickies there, then so can the enemy, and if the enemy is smart, he will always check for stickies.

Boonoo

Twig said:
But the point is, if you know that you can put stickies there, then so can the enemy, and if the enemy is smart, he will always check for stickies.

Half the time making them spend time to check for stickies is the whole point. They either have to waste time checking, or if you can't manually check they have to pop through them.

Forcing early uber pops is a big deal. It means you don't have to pop yours for several seconds, and you'll have a window at the end of theirs when you're still protected.

Good stickies kill bad players and force good players into bad situations.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
Half the time making them spend time to check for stickies is the whole point. They either have to waste time checking, or if you can't manually check they have to pop through them.

Forcing early uber pops is a big deal. It means you don't have to pop yours for several seconds, and you'll have a window at the end of theirs when you're still protected.
I'm not disagreeing; I'm just restating n0b's point, with which you obviously agree:
Good stickies kill bad players and force good players into bad situations.
U:

Hazaro said:
Whaaa?

If you say so.
Black and white are easily the most valuable.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
n0b said:

The biggest beginner protip: TF2 is about two things: Movement and Range.

Before you are good in 6v6 you have to know how to use most of your class' full movement potential, and you have to know the effective ranges for your guns intuitively. Even as medic, learn to fight, then just don't do it unless you have to.

You can still find out of the way traps and unsuspecting places people don't know about. Or places they're hard to see, but SOLLYS might not see so that if you see a combo coming, you can detonate and get the medic after the SOLLY walks by. It's not simply just checkpoints either. There are quite a lot of maps like Mainline that are not commonly played on Pubs that will have traps people aren't used to.

Movement, Range, and I'd say Time is the biggest factor in 6v6 and in pubs to some degree.

Time management is what I keep in mind when I play. Kill the medics to force them to take more time to charge up. Get their teles to slow them down. Put sentries in awkward places that won't kill people, but will throw them off enough to slow them down while your (hopefully decent) team gets the finishing blow. Use pyros to airblast to kill the time on ubercharges...even IF you die, you can take an ubercharge down to half which can be a huge asset to the team. Time is running out? Make sure you're part of the final push. You don't get a medal for staying alive at the end of the round.

For 6v6, time, especially for medics, is the most important factor. When is your uber going to charge? Where is the enemy's charge? How long til he gets one? I'd take good time management over learning how to fight as a medic any day since most decent scouts and SOLLYS can take out medics alone no matter what you do.

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
Not only do you not know how to spell soldier, you don't even know how to properly pluralize nouns that end in 'y'.

It must be hard to survive when you haven't even passed elementary school, yet. ):

Unless, of course, sollys is some new kind of STD and you're trying to tell us something?

Boonoo

desh said:
What exactly do you mean by this?

He means fast horizontal jumps so that you can move around the map quickly without hurting yourself too terribly much.

Here's a quick intro. He goes over a bunch of stuff as well as roll outs on the common maps.

You don't need to perfect them before you start playing, but they're something to aim to.

desh

Yeah, I thought you might be talking about specific rocket jumps through tight spaces.

I've been doing horizontal rj's since 1996.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
desh said:
Yeah, I thought you might be talking about specific rocket jumps through tight spaces.

I've been doing horizontal rj's since 1996.
Well, I haven't seen you play, so I can't specifically say. But, if you think you've got it down, go lobby a bit and if you have any more questions, just let us know.

OMGWTFBBQ GODHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Twig said:
It's official. Kuro's got a case of the solly. No choice but to chop it off.
Money%20Hat%20-%20B.jpg

desh

Kuro Madoushi said:
Well, I haven't seen you play, so I can't specifically say. But, if you think you've got it down, go lobby a bit and if you have any more questions, just let us know.

OMGWTFBBQ GODHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

I probably don't as RJ's in quake are not quite the same as in TF2; however, I do regularly do horizontal RJ's in TF2, but I probably don't have the right technique.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
desh said:
I probably don't as RJ's in quake are not quite the same as in TF2; however, I do regularly do horizontal RJ's in TF2, but I probably don't have the right technique.
Takes time. The really good SOLLYS do it effortlessly, don't miss jump, strafe in midair, and go exactly where they want to go.

On Badlands, I know this one SOLLY who can horizontal RJ from his side of the map RIGHT into the face of a medic if he's hiding behind the crates. He'd only have one rocket to do any damage though...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How do I get those nice yellow numbers in that TF2 soldier vid?
And what is the difference between the deep 'ding' and shrill 'ding' for damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom