• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yasae

Banned
sooperkool said:
Just got TF2, where do I learn how to play well?
Just got an SSL 4000G, how do I learn to mix?

Somebody'll get that.
Play and gain experience - though I would search for spy strategies. There's no jumping right into that class.

Clydefrog

i laughed

chgyC.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
fallengorn said:
We need more TF2 political cartoons.
Definitely. It's like the perfect output for it as well, simply based upon the accents and "nationalities" of the classes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zlatko said:
Is there an official Gaf server for TF2 I could jump aboard on? ;D
The server status is currently kinda in limbo, I need an answer to this as well. Do we have a plan for a new server? I didn't really follow everything that was going on...

Yeef

Old server is still up (for how long, only Java knows); new server is at tf2.langui.sh.

Both servers have been empty for the last week or so. Probably because everyone is playing games that they bought on sale instead.

Yeef said:
Old server is still up (for how long, only Java knows); new server is at tf2.langui.sh.

Both servers have been empty for the last week or so. Probably because everyone is playing games that they bought on sale instead.
For me, it's because I've been busy with schoolwork... I should be able to be on this weekend though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So... How rare is this?

badge2.png

I have this, and ever since I equipped it, I've been getting a ridiculous amount of friend request, trade requests, and monetary offers.

Here's the backstory of how I got it: http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2010/11/29/thanks-valve/

Anyway, I don't really play TF2 (I'd like to, but I blow at it), but I'd like to know if anyone else has any information about this. Someone told me I'm the only one in the world who has this, but I find that a little hard to believe.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Dacvak said:
So... How rare is this?
Pretty god damn rare, as in you're the only one to have it right now.

There's no way for anyone to get it yet. They'll probably give it out for Portal 2 pre-orders, but even then, they're not going to be labeled vintage.

Cute looking companion cubes, btw. Don't know why they don't sell paper weights of it in the Valve store. Plushies aren't the same. :p

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
fallengorn said:
Pretty god damn rare, as in you're the only one to have it right now.
Holy fuck.

This is both awesome and shameful at the same time, because I absolutely suck at TF2. :<

Forkball

It's not rare at and totally useless. I will trade you a Huntsman for it. The Huntsman is like a sniper rifle, BUT WITH ARROWS.

But if you don't want to trade, I'd get something for it since they will probably be a pre-order bonus for Portal 2, and thus many people would have one so it won't be a big deal. It's strange that it's labeled "vintage" though, those are for items obtained before a certain update, and this item didn't even exist at that time.

corn_fest

Dacvak said:
So... How rare is this?
Holy shit, man, that was you? That story was burning up the Steam User's Forums and Reddit. Yeah, you're probably the only person outside Valve who will ever get a vintage one of those. In fact, I think you're the only person besides Robin Walker himself with one.

I'll trade you for it :p

Dacvak said:
So... How rare is this?

I have this, and ever since I equipped it, I've been getting a ridiculous amount of friend request, trade requests, and monetary offers.

Here's the backstory of how I got it: http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2010/11/29/thanks-valve/

Anyway, I don't really play TF2 (I'd like to, but I blow at it), but I'd like to know if anyone else has any information about this. Someone told me I'm the only one in the world who has this, but I find that a little hard to believe.

:)

I demoed at PAX as well. Got a picture of my toddler playing with the companion cubes around here somewhere. I'd been so addicted to SSFIV that I've not even logged on yet to see what the in game item was. Now I know. I'll have to fire up TF2 sometime this weekend.

MKDhh.jpg

Dacvak

TheFightingFish said:
:)

I demoed at PAX as well. Got a picture of my toddler playing with the companion cubes around here somewhere. I'd been so addicted to SSFIV that I've not even logged on yet to see what the in game item was. Now I know. I'll have to fire up TF2 sometime this weekend.

MKDhh.jpg
Nice!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dacvak said:
So... How rare is this?

badge2.png

Haha that is so awesome! GAFFERS RULE, SUCKERS!

Chinner

Banned
Dacvak said:
So... How rare is this?

http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/files/2010/11/badge2.png[/MG]

Here's the backstory of how I got it: [url]http://blog.pikimal.com/geek/2010/11/29/thanks-valve/[/url]

Anyway, I don't really play TF2 (I'd like to, but I blow at it), but I'd like to know if anyone else has any information about this. Someone told me I'm the only one in the world who has this, but I find that a little hard to believe.[/QUOTE]
eh its pretty common, i'll give you 2 scrap for it.

Remy

Patch just came out, updating the server now...

All done. Looks like most of the hats got the materials updated? Don't have the file list handy, sorry.

Remy

Do people want me to kick the server over to the beta version?

(Also, the server may be filled with pubbers because I updated the server which means people can actually connect to it.)

Twig

Banned
Shouldn't they be BUFFING that horrendous pile of scout dung?

Remy: As I understand it, beta server means normal players can't connect. That would be awful, since you can't get random hat drops when playing beta. X: (I would say don't switch. But then I won't be playing for another couple of weeks, yet.)

EDIT: Demn... too late... anywho xD

Original Post:

So yeah, Team Fortress 2 is starting a new Beta...
Basically it will be the place for Valve to test new things with the community before doing an update on the "real game".

The Beta is public, you can get it now from Steam for free if you own TF2. It's around 4 Gbs and you need to have a special sever. People can place there own server for the Beta if they want: Read here. (Use "-game tf_beta" with HLDSUpdateTool to install the server files for the Beta)

So... what's different?:

- What sorts of things will we use the beta for, you ask?

• Testing and tuning various class, item, and weapon changes
  • Testing map changes and variants
  • Running higher level, game-wide experiments (like doubling player health)
  • Testing new technologies without the risk of breaking the game

- What's in the initial release?

• Three Natascha variants:
    • -40% damage
    • -25% damage, -25% health
    • Spin-up/down time increased, slowdown-on-hit effect falls off over distance.
  • Map changes:
    • cp_granary: new entrance added into the RED and BLU mid ramp room.
    • cp_5gorge: 5 CP version of cp_gorge.
  • Misc balance changes:
    • Players being healed by a medic are immune to movement-impairing effects generated by hit-scan weapons.

Source: Team Fortress 2 Blog

Remy

Twig said:
Remy: As I understand it, beta server means normal players can't connect. That would be awful, since you can't get random hat drops when playing beta. X: (I would say don't switch. But then I won't be playing for another couple of weeks, yet.)

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling too. Or at least not as a long-term thing; maybe if there's interesting changes we can swap over for a day or two.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't try to open TF2 while TF2 beta is downloading.

Yeah I know but my steam crashed. Stupid GAF Server announcement.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Whoa, nice! But THREE nerfed versions of Natascha? Boonoo has been complaining too much, I see. :mad:

My bitter tears have had great results.

I'm excited for 5cp gorge. it could be fun.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah, 5cp Gorge would be fantastic. I always felt that it was too short of a map, though surprisingly big enough for how it was.

Boonoo

speedpop said:
Yeah, 5cp Gorge would be fantastic. I always felt that it was too short of a map, though surprisingly big enough for how it was.

I actually love it's length. It would be fantastic if there were more 2 cap point payloads. The 3 stagers and 4 cap points are just too long.

It will be interesting, though, to see how it will work as a 5 cp. I wonder how they'll shift it around and mirror it. Maybe they could work that little house right outside blu spawn into 2.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
My bitter tears have had great results.

I'm excited for 5cp gorge. it could be fun.
Nerfed Natascha AND 5-point capture, the worst of both worlds. Now maybe we'll have a stalemate for 20 minutes while people rush back and forth. Q.Q

Valve needs to get some more normal capture maps and payload maps to make up for it. And not stalematey payload race either!

Side note, if there was a way to make a 5-point capture map where there is a REALLY quick way to get to the action, or even a way for engineer teleporters to move back and forth between the first two spawn points, that would help a lot. Otherwise that sort of map really seems to cater to scouts, demos, and soldiers. I know you hate all of those classes, so surely you agree with me! :D

Yeef

I'd say leave the server as a normal server. I doubt many people will want to play beta every night. The people that are interested will probably only do it once or twice a week and shouldn't have any problem finding alternate servers.

Twig said:
Shouldn't they be BUFFING that horrendous pile of scout dung?
I haven't actually played the beta yet, but one of the variations sounds like a bit of a buff. Theoretically the longer spin up with movement drop-off loses the -25% damage, so it does the same damage as Sascha.

Blizzard said:
Side note, if there was a way to make a 5-point capture map where there is a REALLY quick way to get to the action, or even a way for engineer teleporters to move back and forth between the first two spawn points, that would help a lot. Otherwise that sort of map really seems to cater to scouts, demos, and soldiers. I know you hate all of those classes, so surely you agree with me! :D
Well, I like the way the Red spawn on steel leads to every point. If someone could figure out a way to do that with a 5cp map it would be wonderful.

Boonoo

Every class can get from spawn to the middle point of badlands in 20 seconds or less. I think people are really overestimating the time it takes to get around these maps. Once the fighting has started you'll probably get in an encounter in less time than that.

Boonoo

Twig said:
Valve needs to make more Gravelpit-types.

Truth. Too bad that they've said they're not making any more because TF2 players are babies and can't handle splitting up the team to cover two objectives.

Yeef

Gravel Pit is awesome. Junction is a similar map, but I'm not a big fan of indoor maps (unless I'm playing Pyro at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom