• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
FALSE

YOU'RE ALL WRONG

Valve needs to make more Gravelpit-types.
Gravel pit works for me!

*edit*
Boonoo said:
Every class can get from spawn to the middle point of badlands in 20 seconds or less. I think people are really overestimating the time it takes to get around these maps. Once the fighting has started you'll probably get in an encounter in less time than that.
I just tried with heavy, and it looks like it takes me 27 seconds to get from near the medicine cabinet to touching the middle point. Maybe 22 seconds if I have the running gloves and a tailwind. Add that to the default spawn timer of 9,047 seconds, and you've got yourself a long wait! :mad:

Twig

Banned
do i look like someone who plays tf2

no

shut up blizzard it doesn't take that long to get places in badlands you are such a baby

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
do i look like someone who plays tf2

no

shut up blizzard it doesn't take that long to get places in badlands you are such a baby
You only say that because
since you don't play TF2 at all
you never play heavy!

Yeef

The second point in Badlands is extremely annoying for most classes. The center point and finals points are fine.

Yeef

5gorge is pretty good. it's just Gorge mirrored at the final point. The first point is the second point and the area near spawn (next to the shack) is the final point.

The granary change is very minor, but I like it.

Both variations of the Natascha suck horribly (all versions have the range reduction, even though the blog post made it seem otherwise). The Spin-up debuff is probably the best change.

Forkball

5CP Gorge seems interesting. I actually like the original version a lot, but it doesn't seem to be played so often. Playing as an attacking spy with Your Eternal Reward is a lot of fun. Although there's a lot of firefighting in the entry to the last CP, if you get past that you can easily sneak your way to their spawn. There's always a sniper hanging around in a remote place, so you can backstab him and then chain backstabs as people exit the spawn, or backstab the engy that undoubtedly put a sentry in the right corner and sap it.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Gravel pit works for me!

*edit*

I just tried with heavy, and it looks like it takes me 27 seconds to get from near the medicine cabinet to touching the middle point. Maybe 22 seconds if I have the running gloves and a tailwind. Add that to the default spawn timer of 9,047 seconds, and you've got yourself a long wait! :mad:

Heavy goes 99.67% with the gloves on. That should get him there in 20. Less if you're not actually trying to run on to the point.

From forward spawn to the middle of spire is right around 20 as well. I didn't bother going from mid spawn to final.

The point is that complaining about running back to the action is dumb since while action is going on it will be rare to not encounter someone within 10 or so seconds of leaving spawn--especially on full 24 man servers.

The second point is that anyone who complains about it being hard to build teleporters on 5cps is dumb because you don't need teleporters. The only time you would ever even think about worry about building them is if you're attacking the final point and you need a tele to help break a turtle. Until then their useless and you should be gunslinging it up.

Both variations of the Natascha suck horribly (all versions have the range reduction, even though the blog post made it seem otherwise). The Spin-up debuff is probably the best change.

HA! nice. They should combine all the nerfs in one. The range reduction is great. There was nothing more infuriating than getting slowed to a crawl by a heavy across the map.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
Heavy goes 99.67% with the gloves on. That should get him there in 20. Less if you're not actually trying to run on to the point.
Less what if you're not trying to run to run to the point? Less time if you're not trying to run quickly? Also, what route did you take to get 20 or less? I want to know how to repeat it. ;_; Did you start from in front of the medicine cabinet in spawn?

The point is that complaining about running back to the action is dumb since while action is going on it will be rare to not encounter someone within 10 or so seconds of leaving spawn--especially on full 24 man servers.

The second point is that anyone who complains about it being hard to build teleporters on 5cps is dumb because you don't need teleporters. The only time you would ever even think about worry about building them is if you're attacking the final point and you need a tele to help break a turtle. Until then their useless and you should be gunslinging it up.
The point is, 5-point captures have at least 2-20 seconds of running for heavies. That's slow! Maps should be nicer to heavies.

HA! nice. They should combine all the nerfs in one. The range reduction is great. There was nothing more infuriating than getting slowed to a crawl by a heavy across the map.
Wait a second... I'm getting the feeling you don't like things that help heavies or hurt scouts here. :/ For my own balance suggestions, I would like the force of nature to not do knockback. If the scattergun was unable to do crits, the shortstop unable to slow as much (especially at distance), the scout jump height reduced, and maybe the run speed a little slower, I'd be happier. ;p

In fact, a little auto-aim that actually lets me hit scouts (especially laggy ones) would be awesome. That's the best thing about sentries and nataschas!

Scouts. :mad:

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Less what if you're not trying to run to run to the point? Less time if you're not trying to run quickly? Also, what route did you take to get 20 or less? I want to know how to repeat it. ;_; Did you start from in front of the medicine cabinet in spawn?
Less if as soon as you get outside the house you start fighting people. So it's only 20 if all we're talking about is hitting the point.
I think I ran out the right side of spawn dropped down to the left then ran up the stairs, then down the drop down then up the hill and across the bridge then out the house.

The point is, 5-point captures have at least 2-20 seconds of running for heavies. That's slow! Maps should be nicer to heavies.

That's a lot better than when you have to take the third point in badwater! Now that's a run. I think 5cp maps have a stigma of taking a long time to get places, but it just isn't true. It's probably that teles just aren't useful, and that throws people off. And with a more mobile game type thems the breaks.
Wait a second... I'm getting the feeling you don't like things that help heavies or hurt scouts here. :/ For my own balance suggestions, I would like the force of nature to not do knockback. If the scattergun was unable to do crits, the shortstop unable to slow as much (especially at distance), the scout jump height reduced, and maybe the run speed a little slower, I'd be happier.

In fact, a little auto-aim that actually lets me hit scouts (especially laggy ones) would be awesome. That's the best thing about sentries and nataschas!

Scouts.

You're on to me! I actually wouldn't mind any of your gun nerfs. Although I think the FAN would be a buff. It's really hard to double meatshot someone with it because they get bounced away. Does the shortstop even slow? I've never noticed any slowing from it. They should get rid of it anyway.

Slowing as a whole is a lame and sloppy mechanic. I think the heavies 2 guns should be like the mini guns in Alien Swarm, one that's quicker but less powerful and one that's slower but more powerful. Maybe it's a boring difference, but I think it would do more to switch up different heavy play-styles than the 2 guns do now.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
Less if as soon as you get outside the house you start fighting people. So it's only 20 if all we're talking about is hitting the point.
I think I ran out the right side of spawn dropped down to the left then ran up the stairs, then down the drop down then up the hill and across the bridge then out the house.
Hmm, maybe dropping down early is faster. I think I stayed high until the wall exit, then across the bridge.

That's a lot better than when you have to take the third point in badwater! Now that's a run. I think 5cp maps have a stigma of taking a long time to get places, but it just isn't true.
This is what teleporters are for! (i.e. badwater) :D I think one of the common push maps is the same way -- the final control point is so far away that teleporters are very helpful.

You're on to me! I actually wouldn't mind any of your gun nerfs. Although I think the FAN would be a buff. It's really hard to double meatshot someone with it because they get bounced away. Does the shortstop even slow? I've never noticed any slowing from it. They should get rid of it anyway.
Maybe we should also reduce the number of scattergun shots to 4. Or 3! Mainly scouts make me sad because I can't hit them and I am convinced they occasionally do like 130+ damage in single shots.

Also, Sunday I should be available to play your favorite highland class: The heavy!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Please post feedback related to players being immune to movement impairing effects generated by hit-scan weapons here.
Does this mean I can run upto a sentry gun as an Ubercharged (Or just plain healed) Pyro and use a Home Wrecker on it?

Drkirby said:
Does this mean I can run upto a sentry gun as an Ubercharged (Or just plain healed) Pyro and use a Home Wrecker on it?

There's still missiles, but that would actually make that hammer finally worthwhile. (Other than an Engineer's complete adoration for saving some of his buildings after a Stab-and-Sap.)

Boonoo

Drkirby said:

I don't think knockback is a movement impairing effect. I was assuming that they were really just talking about natascha and shortstop. I dunno, though.

Chinner said:
THEY'VE RUINED THE STOVEPIPE

:mad:

But now you can wear a pink Gibbus instead!

Forkball

The TF2 wiki has updated pics of painted hats, so you can see how they compare to the old ones. They look pretty good for the most part, a definite improvement.

Forkball said:
The TF2 wiki has updated pics of painted hats, so you can see how they compare to the old ones. They look pretty good for the most part, a definite improvement.
Not all of them, yet. They're slowly working on getting them all. All of Spy's are done, and I think Scouts are done also.

A small patch is also coming soon (maybe tonight) that puts the hole pack in the headsplitter hat. For some reason, Valve covered it up, yet the way the covered it made it actually use more polygons. They told the creator the fix was being published with last night's update, but it wasn't.

Blizzard

Banned
I saw an update. Is there anything new in the beta tonight? I wasn't sure if they would be putting out update details in the "game updates" news for the beta, or somewhere else.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The_Technomancer said:
...my brother has been playing for six days now...

....he just got his third random hat drop...

....statistics hate me, I swear.
Seriously, fuck your brother.

No seriously, fuck him.

142 hours and no hat drops here.

snack

I'm curious if any GAF people have an Unusual hat, a Medal, or a Max Head to trade. I've been looking far and wide, but to no avail.

Chinner

Banned
snack said:
I'm curious if any GAF people have an Unusual hat, a Medal, or a Max Head to trade. I've been looking far and wide, but to no avail.
you could spend like $100 on one. lots of people on SA just sell them lol.

Blizzard

Banned
How are they even allowed to change the times at the last minute? Some people [not me of course] may have schedules and important things to do. :(

I should be available at 7 for heavy. I made sure I could get in Mumble. Boonoo doesn't seem to be online yet. n0b mentioned he might not make it, so we may have a team of 4 or something!

I might be able to play if you guys don't have enough players. Haven't had too much success with getting Mumble to work, but I can still try.
Also, I took some screenshots in-game that I want to upload to the internet. However, I keep getting told there's a problem with the images, no matter what file type I change it to. I also tried moving them to a different folder and uploading from there, but that didn't work either. Any idea what's wrong?

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
GOOD LUCK, GUYS!
We got stomped. Their demo and sniper were really good, and their spy (classily named "fag slayer") got a ton of ambassador headshots on badwater. It might be worthwhile to request the spy's demo just for fun, but ultimately presumably they were just really good, if somewhat obnoxious:

high3kiic.jpg

A couple of scoreboard pictures:
http://www.abload.de/img/high4cc4j.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/high55i4u.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/high6gdam.jpg

I should have demos too, but I'm not planning to upload them unless anyone just wants to see them. They probably aren't that exciting, though we did cut it very close getting all 5 points on steel offense (before they did the same thing more easily).

cooljeanius said:
Also, I took some screenshots in-game that I want to upload to the internet. However, I keep getting told there's a problem with the images, no matter what file type I change it to. I also tried moving them to a different folder and uploading from there, but that didn't work either. Any idea what's wrong?
If you're using the TF2 F5 button, I seem to recall that they can be saved as some odd format (TGA sounds right, thanks bacon), and you'd have to convert them with an image editor. Otherwise I don't know what could be the problem. I just use Fraps.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Get on 20 minutes after it starts, then NO PLAYING FOR ME.

I was even checking ETF2L sorta regularly alongside here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom