• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
BloodySinner said:
Good grief, I fucking hate crates. You can't even turn them to scrap metal.
Someone started a trade with me, and they wouldn't give me anything for 7 of my crates. Not even a lousy piece of scrap metal...

corn_fest

Thanks again for the stuff Yasae. I'll be sure to continue this gifting chain thing at the holiday sale...
BloodySinner said:
Good grief, I fucking hate crates. You can't even turn them to scrap metal.
Check the Trading forum on the official steam forums. I've seen crates go for 1 scrap before.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
I'm willing to trade any of the crates that I have which is about 8. I do not plan on buying keys so message me and we can meet up online at some point to trade. Willing to accept metal, new weapons, or hats (which would be probably crazy)

Yeef

You can trade for keys, but since they cost real money their relative value is pretty high. If you don't want to open crates either use them as sweetners when trading or just delete them.

[Edit] Just so you know: weapons, hats and misc. items (crates, duels, paint) each work on separate drop systems, so getting a crate drop doesn't affect how many weapons you get or your chances of finding a hat.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
[Edit] Just so you know: weapons, hats and misc. items (crates, duels, paint) each work on separate drop systems, so getting a crate drop doesn't affect how many weapons you get or your chances of finding a hat.

Ohhhh. Cool. Thanks. That makes me feel better haha

zlatko

Banned
Bought this game on the Steam Sale, and I'm so confused. I went through the tutorial, and hopped into a game finally/somehow, and was really only able to kick a lot of butt as a Heavy.

I haven't played a FPS on PC since like Doom/Quake era. I really like what I've been playing so far though, because even though I was getting pooped on I was having a blast.

Anywhere I should look at to just get the 4-1-1 if you are total noob? Like this equipment stuff, how to play your class well, what I should be searching for when I look for games, etc.

zlatko said:
Bought this game on the Steam Sale, and I'm so confused. I went through the tutorial, and hopped into a game finally/somehow, and was really only able to kick a lot of butt as a Heavy.

I haven't played a FPS on PC since like Doom/Quake era. I really like what I've been playing so far though, because even though I was getting pooped on I was having a blast.

Anywhere I should look at to just get the 4-1-1 if you are total noob? Like this equipment stuff, how to play your class well, what I should be searching for when I look for games, etc.

For starters, just about every class plays differently, but with some experimentation and practice, you can enjoy a lot of different playstyles. The key thing is to learn what each class excels at, and work around that. From there learn the maps, and pay attention to where people seem to catch you off-guard from. Those spots come in handy for building Sentry Guns, hiding as Spy, and so on.

You can play on an Instant Respawn 32 Person server to get some basic practice in, but ideally you'll want to play on 16-24 person servers with regular respawn times, since that's what the game is balanced for. Respawn times are dynamic based on the situation, they're not just there to delay you from playing. On 32 players some of the maps and choke points can get a little messy and spam-friendly, and anything less than 10 and the game is going to feel very empty.

The equipment isn't going to be that important to you early on, most of it just offers an alternate way of playing a class, not necessarily a superior way. Except the Ubersaw for the Medic, if you get one of those, find out how to equip it immediately. The rest of it's based on what your playstyle is like, so the Huntsman bow is for Snipers who like to play closer to the battlefront, the Eyelander sword is for Demomen who like to get up in the enemy's face and melee, the Ambassador handgun is for Spies who've stabbed so many Snipers they can't stop pretending to be one, and so on.

And remember this rule: There is always a Spy behind you. At all times. No matter how impossible it may seem.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:
official wiki is jank

don't you ever correct me again, you son of a bitch
Just never linked to the horrid ad filled site again.

"You want to view then next page? TO BAD, REDIRECT AD!"

zlatko said:

When you look for servers, avoid these:
- Instaspawn - No spawn time means it's harder to push forward, teaches bad habits since you'll just keep on getting yourself killed. "It's okay to die, I'll revive ASAP anyway!"
- 24/7 2fort (or just 2fort) - 2fort is simply a bad map, and very frequently devolves to engie fests and sniper wars.
- 100% crits - Encourages spam.
- 25+ players - Game is designed for 24 players at max. More than that, game becomes spamfest.

Try to avoid custom maps for now. Stick with official maps. These ones are either usually used in competitive games, or are the best in their map types, or just plain fun and balanced.
- Gravel Pit
- Badlands
- Hightower
- Viaduct
- Badwater
- Coldfront
- Granary
- Doublecross

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zlatko said:

You are one of us now. Welcome...to the Brotherhood of Hats

zlatko

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
You are one of us now. Welcome...to the Brotherhood of Hats

143792-hats.jpg

I feel humbled kind sir.

Large-ish paint patch coming tonight. The guy who made the Frenchman's Baret and Vita-Saw (Daimo?) made a fix for paint and it got accepted. Painted items no longer look like plastic, and most have a much richer color. They now also gain the original texture, so painted Kabuto keeps all the textured knicks and damage to it, instead of just being a solid color.

Also makes a few new hats paintable, including the long awaited Camera Beard!

• Improved painting on the following all-class hats: Ghastly Gibus, Ghastlier Gibus, Spine-Chilling Skull, Voodoo Juju, Wiki Cap, Bill’s Hat, Mann-Co Cap.

• Improved painting on the following Scout-specific hats: Batter’s Helmet, Troublemaker’s Tossle Cap, Bonk Helmet, Ye Olde Baker Boy, Whoopee Cap, Bombing Run.

• Improved painting on the following Soldier-specific hats: Soldier’s Stash, Tyrant’s Helm, Killer’s Kabuto, Stout Shako.

• Improved painting on the following Pyro-specific hats: Brigade Helm, Respectless Rubber Glove, Vintage Merryweather, Handyman’s Handle, Napper’s Respite.

• Improved painting on the following Demoman-specific hats: Demoman’s Fro, Glengarry Bonnet, Scotsman’s Stove Pipe, Hustler’s Hallmark, Tippler’s Tricorne, Carouser’s Capotain, Rimmed Raincatcher.

• Improved painting on the following Heavy-specific hats: Football Helmet, Officer’s Ushanka, Tough Guy’s Toque, Hound Dog, Heavy Duty Rag, Dealer’s Visor.

• Improved painting on the following Engineer-specific hats: Texas Ten Gallon.

• Improved painting on the following Medic-specific hats: Prussian Pickelhaube, Vintage Tyrolean, Gentleman’s Gatsby.

• Improved painting on the following Sniper-specific hats: Master’s Yellow Belt.

• Improved painting on the following Spy-specific hats: Fancy Fedora, Backbiter’s Billycock, Magistrate’s Mullet.

• Restored the Frenchman’s Beret’s color scheme and phong mask.

• Improved the Carouser’s Capotain’s original model.

• Improved the Handyman’s Handle’s original model and texture.

• Fixed issues with the Scotsman’s Skullcutter’s and the Vita-saw’s smoothing.

• Made the following items paintable: Sergeant’s Drill Hat, Pyro’s Beanie, Whiskered Gentleman, "Dangeresque, Too?", Safe’n’Sound, Trophy Belt, Frenchman’s Beret, Camera Beard, Max’s Severed Head, Alien Swarm Parasite, Ellis’ Cap.

• Fixed Natasha and Texas Ten Gallon not using a phong mask (a.k.a looking like plastic)

Some things to note
- Stovetop now paints just the stripe. In a bizarre turn of events, the Gibus and Stovetop switch painted methods.

- Hats are not shiny anymore (neither will be Natasha, but Rocket Launcher/Jumper will still be since Valve stated they actually liked the improved shinyness of the Rocket Launcher)

- Killer's Kabuto is no longer black when painted black (for some reason). It's now a very deep brown, almost wood tone. I don't know why this is the only hat that does this, it'll probably be fixed in the future.

- Troublemaker's Tossel is now solid painted, no more stripe (which is sad, I liked the stripe)

- Napper's Respite is now (finally) back to being the backpack colors. To get the old(new) look back, it will have to be painted team colored. Ones painted orange are now pretty useless

- Lowers the amount of memory needed to render paint, but increases the file sizes of every hat. Also destroys hats in Garry's Mod

- It's rumored this update will also add community made kill icons for the rest of the weapons

IceMarker

Wolf Akela said:
- 24/7 2fort (or just 2fort) - 2fort is simply a bad map, and very frequently devolves to engie fests and sniper wars.
Apparently you've been playing on some shitty 2fort servers, 2fort is my most played map and my favorite, on the server I play on I never see sniper wars or engineer wars.

Yeef

No, 2fort's just a terrible map.

Of the official CTF maps double cross is the only really good one. Well and Saw mill are just okay, but 2fort is awful.

MrMister said:
Apparently you've been playing on some shitty 2fort servers, 2fort is my most played map and my favorite, on the server I play on I never see sniper wars or engineer wars.

It's not uncommon for 2fort matches to devolve to that. The map simply has many bad design choices.

1. All paths to the intel can be covered in one area which is right next to the spawn. Engies can instantly get a Lv3 sentry. Manage to take it down? Expect to see it back moments later, maybe even more of them.

2. If you fall down the bridge, you're screwed unless you're really good at wall RJs while in the water. You'll have to take a long ass walk around the sewers.

3. Very tight corridors. Scouts are practically useless on a well-populated server.

4. Snipers. Where else can they snipe but at the balcony? Your base is way too small; enemies will already be at melee range before you can react. Around the doors by the bridge? Yeah, really open, extremely prone to enemies on the bridge + snipers on the balcony. Sewers? Enjoy waiting a minutes for an enemy, because no one wants to go through there unless they had to (see #2 for an example), and chances are, that's route that Spies would take.

If you happen to be in an instaspawn 2fort server, just give up any idea of winning or losing. The game is deadlocked unless the map timer runs out.

Forkball

2Fort is basically a dicking around map. Most of the time people aren't trying to win, but instead have sniper battles, trying to rack up sentry kills due to the tight corridors, grenade spamming with demo etc. Everyone wants to do their own thing, so it's impossible to get everyone to work together to get the intel, which is vital since the map is so designed to fuck you over that you really need to organize a group in order to push through the narrow ass corridors with sentries on every corner.

I've had some good moments on the map though, like running a scout on the roof of the bridge, blowing away a sniper with my scattergun in mid air, and then capturing the intel pretty much by myself before the other team even noticed. Another time I was a spy in the sewers near the staircase up to the base. I was using cloak and dagger, and I think it ran out for a split second, causing a nearby pyro to see me. I hid in that little area before the stairs, and the pyro came right down and looked straight at me. I thought I was fucked, but for some reason, the pyro switched from his flamethrower to his shotgun, and tried to do the hadoken taunt right at me. I moved, decloaked, and backstabbed him while he was doing the taunt.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
2Fort is basically a dicking around map. Most of the time people aren't trying to win, but instead have sniper battles, trying to rack up sentry kills due to the tight corridors, grenade spamming with demo etc. Everyone wants to do their own thing, so it's impossible to get everyone to work together to get the intel, which is vital since the map is so designed to fuck you over that you really need to organize a group in order to push through the narrow ass corridors with sentries on every corner.

I've had some good moments on the map though, like running a scout on the roof of the bridge, blowing away a sniper with my scattergun in mid air, and then capturing the intel pretty much by myself before the other team even noticed. Another time I was a spy in the sewers near the staircase up to the base. I was using cloak and dagger, and I think it ran out for a split second, causing a nearby pyro to see me. I hid in that little area before the stairs, and the pyro came right down and looked straight at me. I thought I was fucked, but for some reason, the pyro switched from his flamethrower to his shotgun, and tried to do the hadoken taunt right at me. I moved, decloaked, and backstabbed him while he was doing the taunt.
:lol
Guy wanted to do a taunt kill...
Speakimg of which, do taunt kills go through DF spies?

balladofwindfishes said:
http://www.daimao.org/gallery/

preview of some of the new paintable hats and some of the changes

I was wrong about the Kabuto. It's a deep black, but some of the rust from the original texture makes it look a little odd.

Ushanka looks way, way better. Probably the biggest improvement.

It always bugged me how plasticky the Sergeant's Drill Hat looked, I'm glad they're fixing that. This is all a bit strange on reflection, though...

2008: "We're changing a bunch of aspects of gameplay and adding new abilities!" "FUCK YEAH!"
2010: "We're changing how hats look when painted and adding paintable beards!" "FUCK YEAH!"

This game has definitely taken a weird turn over the years. :lol

corn_fest

Hey guys, traded my Circling Peace Sign Unusual Engineer's Cap and a nonvintage Baseball Bill's Sports Shine for:

Vintage Master's Yellow Belt
Vintage Brain Slug
Vintage Brigade Helm
Vintage Backbiter's Billycock
Familiar Fez
Grenadier's Softcap
Stout Shako

Did I do good? I don't give a fuck about unusuals and there will keep being more of them, while vintages will retain their value, I guess. Plus these are some pretty good vintages. Probably going to try to dump the Polycount Hats now while they're still worth a lot.

Kulock said:
It always bugged me how plasticky the Sergeant's Drill Hat looked, I'm glad they're fixing that. This is all a bit strange on reflection, though...

2008: "We're changing a bunch of aspects of gameplay and adding new abilities!" "FUCK YEAH!"
2010: "We're changing how hats look when painted and adding paintable beards!" "FUCK YEAH!"

This game has definitely taken a weird turn over the years. :lol
All the classes have 4+ weapons and 30+ achievements. At this point, there isn't much new dramatic abilities Valve could change in the same respect that a class update did.

corn_fest said:
Hey guys, traded my Circling Peace Sign Unusual Engineer's Cap and a nonvintage Baseball Bill's Sports Shine for:

Vintage Brain Slug
Vintage Brigade Helm
Familiar Fez
Grenadier's Softcap
Stout Shako

Did I do good? I don't give a fuck about unusuals and there will keep being more of them, while vintages will retain their value, I guess. Plus these are some pretty good vintages. Probably going to try to dump the Polycount Hats now while they're still worth a lot.
If you're going to just dump the Polycount Hats, would you trade your Fez for a Milkman? It's a polycount hat for polycount hat

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
corn_fest said:

Vintage Brain Slug
Vintage Brigade Helm
Familiar Fez
Grenadier's Softcap
Stout Shako

Eh, I guess. Really, I don't llke the effects of the unusuals, but I am not going to trade for hats for "Value", just "Do I like it, will I ware it?"

Really, I just need 1 hat per class anyway.

All the classes have 4+ weapons and 30+ achievements. At this point, there isn't much new dramatic abilities Valve could change in the same respect that a class update did.
MORE ACHIVEMENTS!

corn_fest

balladofwindfishes said:
If you're going to just dump the Polycount Hats, would you trade your Fez for a Milkman? It's a polycount hat for polycount hat
Heh, sure. I was actually looking for a Milkman instead, as it seems more viable than Eternal Reward spy. Now I just need to get some Mad Milk...

balladofwindfishes said:

Oh, I'm not complaining, don't get me wrong. It's just a funny contrast when you think about it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
balladofwindfishes said:
Global Renovation by Neutralization

Believe

Forkball

In addition to hats, Valve will add special costumes or clothing for the classes. This is inevitable, don't try to argue with me.

Also I haven't seen the GAF server active recently. Is everyone playing new games thanks to the sales?

The patch I mentioned would come late yesterday was delayed to some time later this week so Valve could put in a bug fix they're having a tough time fixing.

Whatever that could be, nobody knows. Maybe it's the LOD model fix they promised, so the Ambassador Camera-Beard Backbiter Spy is not 4x as large a file size as just vanilla Spy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom