• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Ninja Dom said:
Just got The Chargin' Targe for the Demoman.

It's a shield that replaces the Sticky Bomb Gun. I can't live without my Sticky Bombs.

Anyone wanna trade??
You know you can just keep it in your backpack, in case you ever want to give charging into enemies and slicing their heads off a try!

If nothing else, it's good practice since it might teach you to aim pipe bombs better. If you're already a pipe bomb expert than nevermind. :p

Blizzard said:
You know you can just keep it in your backpack, in case you ever want to give charging into enemies and slicing their heads off a try!

Or just get a Caber, charge into a crowd, hold down M1 and chase after people until they gib. It's a lot of fun losing an Uber to that.

There's three or four weapons designed around you having the Targe, so I'd recommend holding on to it too.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
Or just get a Caber, charge into a crowd, hold down M1 and chase after people until they gib. It's a lot of fun losing an Uber to that.

There's three or four weapons designed around you having the Targe, so I'd recommend holding on to it too.
Yeah, there was a medic who was not happy at me last night after I exploded him with the caber. :lol It's hard for the demo using it to survive, but it usually kills anyone who's not a heavy even if you don't charge. I did manage to hit a scout with it and HE survived, so there must be some sort of glitch where they can avoid the explosion damage or whatnot. Maybe if they're in the air?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Heavy's Sandvich said:
I like the shortstop but it hasn't really replaced the Scattergun for me.

I love the Force-a-Nature.
Shortstop is so goddam amazing.

Also I have 2 extra Brass Beasts and Fists of Steel.

I played Spy for a bit. It was fun, stabbing people in the back is very satisfying. However, I have a problem when dealing with Sentries, as soon as I decloak they turn around and kill me easily. Sometimes I managed to kill the Engineer but the damn sentry kills me afterwards, so yeah. Help?

corn_fest

Sgt.Pepper said:
I played Spy for a bit. It was fun, stabbing people in the back is very satisfying. However, I have a problem when dealing with Sentries, as soon as I decloak they turn around and kill me easily. Sometimes I managed to kill the Engineer but the damn sentry kills me afterwards, so yeah. Help?
Usually better to sap the sentry first, although if you use the last disguise key (b?) or recloak quick enough you might be able to get away.

Alternatively, try the Your Eternal Reward?

Blizzard

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
1. Use the eternal reward knife if you have it. You can craft it. If you kill someone with it, you get a disguise. If you then kill the engineer while disguised, the gun won't kill you and you can sap it.

2. If you don't have that knife, make sure you're wearing an enemy team disguise. If you're disguised, the gun won't shoot you.

3. Once you're disguised, try one of the following:

3a. Sap the sentry and try to distract the engineer so he doesn't repair it before it breaks.

3b. Sap the sentry and try to kill the engineer as he runs to repair the gun. Remember that if he repairs it quickly enough you'll die if you used an attack, since attacking makes you lose your disguise.

3c. If the engineer is very close to his gun, and the gun is facing away from you, backstab him, and hit 2 (I think) to change to the sapper. Then sap the gun before it shoots you. This sequence has to be done rather quickly though, since you only have like half a second before the gun spins around.

corn_fest said:
Usually better to sap the sentry first, although if you use the last disguise key (b?) or recloak quick enough you might be able to get away.
I'm pretty sure that cloaking and disguising take a second or two before guns will stop tracking you, so you'll be dead unless you're rather far away.

Merry Christmas TF2 GAF! I got some new games to play, so I might put TF2 on the back burner for a while... btw, one of the new games I got was Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, which kind of reminds me of TF2 in a way... I mean, besides his name being Hatsworth, it has a similar sense of humor as some of the TF2 comics...

corn_fest

Blizzard said:
I'm pretty sure that cloaking and disguising take a second or two before guns will stop tracking you, so you'll be dead unless you're rather far away.
Do you think that you could activate the DR fast enough, depending on range? I can't remember if I've managed to do that or not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cloak and Dagger spy here.

Putting my leet Unusual Detective Noir to use. ;_;

Truthfully, I can't use DR or the original invisiwatch properly. The paths required for collecting metal always fuck me over, and I like the sneaky approach that works well for me.

Blizzard

Banned
corn_fest said:
Do you think that you could activate the DR fast enough, depending on range? I can't remember if I've managed to do that or not.
If you're like 25 feet away and stab an engineer, I'd guess the DR would work if you were quick and not injured, but it might also depend on whether the rockets hit you or just the bullets.

Blizzard said:
1. Use the eternal reward knife if you have it. You can craft it. If you kill someone with it, you get a disguise. If you then kill the engineer while disguised, the gun won't kill you and you can sap it.

Suggesting someone new to Spy use the ER is a terrible idea. It's powerful if you're already good at Spy, but learning where and when to disguise and how to sell that disguise is a big key, and you have virtually no control over that with the ER.

Speaking as someone who's fallen to it way too often, the game is very forgiving about stab-and-saps, especially if the Spy does it from behind the Sentry.

Blizzard said:
If you're like 25 feet away and stab an engineer, I'd guess the DR would work if you were quick and not injured, but it might also depend on whether the rockets hit you or just the bullets.

The DR is almost instant (ridiculously so) and absorbs 90% of incoming damage for the first several seconds of the cloak. Even if the rockets hit after the decoy's already fallen, unless you're really at the very edge of death's door, you'll take the ~10 HP damage without a problem, especially if you were near the Engineer's Dispenser while disguised a moment ago.

If you're worried about fumbling with the Disguise Kit during the limited cloak time, check in the options for the Last Disguise button (mine's set to B, but I don't remember if that's default or not), and tap that while or after you're cloaking. It'll automatically put on the last disguise you had on, and a Sentry doesn't care what disguise you have on, just as long as it's that Sentry's team color. The Last Disguise button is also how you switch what weapon you look like you're carrying, which is part of selling your disguise to the enemy team.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
Suggesting someone new to Spy use the ER is a terrible idea. It's powerful if you're already good at Spy, but learning where and when to disguise and how to sell that disguise is a big key, and you have virtually no control over that with the ER.
That is true, it just came to mind as the only safe way to stab an engineer.

The DR is almost instant (ridiculously so) and absorbs 90% of incoming damage for the first several seconds of the cloak. Even if the rockets hit after the decoy's already fallen, unless you're really at the very edge of death's door, you'll take the ~10 HP damage without a problem, especially if you were near the Engineer's Dispenser while disguised a moment ago.
I would like to think it's instant, but I'm convinced that there's been either a 250-500 ms delay for the watch to snap out and unfold, during which time I got killed before it activated, or else I actually took enough damage to kill me through the cloak. Or maybe it was just lag.

If you're worried about fumbling with the Disguise Kit during the limited cloak time, check in the options for the Last Disguise button (mine's set to B, but I don't remember if that's default or not), and tap that while or after you're cloaking. It'll automatically put on the last disguise you had on, and a Sentry doesn't care what disguise you have on, just as long as it's that Sentry's team color.
The last disguise button is a great suggestion. Just remember that it takes a couple of seconds until the disguise is fully activated, and I'm pretty sure sentries will shoot at you until it's done (or until you're fully cloaked with say, the cloak and dagger).

Blizzard said:
I would like to think it's instant, but I'm convinced that there's been either a 250-500 ms delay for the watch to snap out and unfold, during which time I got killed before it activated, or else I actually took enough damage to kill me through the cloak. Or maybe it was just lag.

I think it's lag. Here's what the Wiki says on the matter:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Dead_ringer said:
When ping and network transmission are not an issue, a Spy can bring up the Dead Ringer and be protected in less than 1/100th of a second. In the average online match this margin is greater, but the times serve to show that the Dead Ringer was designed with no real activation delay.

So I just nabbed myself a Loch-N-Load... The gun is pretty awkward to use. The reload animation is also pretty off. The gun has TWO barrels. So why isn't there two grenade bombs coming out of it? A lot of these new weapons need some serious polish.

I do agree that the reloading animation needs to be altered.

I don't understand what you meant about two grenades being fired, do you mean at the same time?

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I do agree that the reloading animation needs to be altered.

I don't understand what you meant about two grenades being fired, do you mean at the same time?

800px-LochnLoad.png

Yes, at the same time. There is two barrels. Why is only one of them being put to use?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BloodySinner said:
So I just nabbed myself a Loch-N-Load... The gun is pretty awkward to use. The reload animation is also pretty off. The gun has TWO barrels. So why isn't there two grenade bombs coming out of it? A lot of these new weapons need some serious polish.
So I'm presuming you never noticed the grenade launcher has 6 barrels and only 4 can be loaded with ammo?

Ninja Dom

I've put a good 7 hours into TF2 over Christmas Day and today. But there's never anybody online on the NeoGAF server. When do you lot all play?

Plus I've started getting 3 or 4 requests an hour from people trying to trade me for my Earbuds (OSX Represent) :D

Blizzard

Banned
remz said:
It used to be 6 before the nerf. :(
What the...I guess I'm glad I missed that particular play feature. :lol With 5 demomen or so defending dustbowl, there are enough pipe bombs rolling around as is.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Ninja Dom said:
I've put a good 7 hours into TF2 over Christmas Day and today. But there's never anybody online on the NeoGAF server. When do you lot all play?

Plus I've started getting 3 or 4 requests an hour from people trying to trade me for my Earbuds (OSX Represent) :D
Usually later in the evenings. Best way to get into games is to join the TF2 GAF group. Whenever an event invite goes out (no matter the title) it usually means people are jumping on to the server to play

Yeef

Blizzard said:
What the...I guess I'm glad I missed that particular play feature. :lol With 5 demomen or so defending dustbowl, there are enough pipe bombs rolling around as is.
At launch Demo had 6 grenades and ricocheting them off of other surfaces could still score a direct hit. it was pretty crazy.

So according to NeoDement on Facepunch, kill icons are coming early January along with whatever graphical fixes for these new models the creators want.

NeoDement is the person who made the original set of community kill icons. He also made the Skullcutter.

Some changes to items will probably be (from what I've read)
-Blighted Beak no longer clips with pretty much every single Medic hat
-New updated versions of a few Fancy V Nasty items
-Warrior's Spirit fits on Heavy's hands as intended
-Loch n Load sits on Demoman's hands and looks as intended. Right now this weapon is a mess, and it's totally Valve's fault. Swizzle specifically made it to work with Demoman's stock animations. Valve also messed up the sights on it.
-Steak gets better normal maps, so it doesn't look like a piece of plastic

remz

Yeef said:
At launch Demo had 6 grenades and ricocheting them off of other surfaces could still score a direct hit. it was pretty crazy.
God I miss those days SO MUCH.

as a demoman, iit was a glorious time to live.

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
-Steak gets better normal maps, so it doesn't look like a piece of plastic
I wonder if they'll make it so you can't throw a steak on the ground (causing it to instantly turn into a sandvich). That'll be a tragic day. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BloodySinner said:
800px-LochnLoad.png

Yes, at the same time. There is two barrels. Why is only one of them being put to use?
You could argue he is drunk, but don't forget the normal Pipe Bomb launcher has 6 barrels but only 4 shots per reload.

I'm trying to organise a little session for tomorrow evening, as in Monday. It's aimed more at those in Europe as I'm trying to get my server to be used! Pay all this money for it to sit idle.

The IP address is: 217.163.25.136:27015 [Eurogamer + Friends]

Come and play if you can, should start around 8pm GMT.

Add me on steam regardless: Efeman

Zomba13

Might as well ask here.
Is anyone willing to trade Max's Severed Head for my Unusual Trophy Belt (Sniper hat, Haunted and painted Team Spirit) and whatever else they want in my backpack.
I really should have preordered the devil's playhouse but I decided to wait until all the episodes were out and buy them then and play through them like I'd done with the other S&M seasons and Monkey Island. Not gonna make that mistake again though.

Yeef

Javaman said:
I remember when valve used to make new official maps instead of cosmetic junk. Thems were the days.
They did make degrootkeep. An expanded version for normal play would've been nice though.

Blizzard

Banned
wartime1020 said:
I can only play so much 5 cap maps and CTF.
Thank you. :lol We had 5-point snow capture, 5-point capture converted to CTF, 5-point capture badlands, 5-point capture...granary? And maybe one more thrown in there, basically in a row. At least we played harvest at one point!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Harvest and Nucleus > Every other TF2 map. Dustbowl can go suck a dick.

KotH is still one of the best modes in TF2.

Forkball

Christ I played a bit of TF2 tonight and the lag was unbearable. I've never had this problem before. At first I was DLing a game, but then I quit and paused the dl and played, but it still had that problem. I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe Valve's servers are getting hammered or the paused download is fucking up with it. Oh well time to play The Witcher.

I got another Festive Crate from a random drop. Valve has been trolling me lately with these drops, I swear. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

edit: nvm, didn't realize you could buy a Festive Winter Crate Key. But screw that.

Grimm Fandango said:
I got another Festive Crate from a random drop. Valve has been trolling me lately with these drops, I swear. What the fuck am I supposed to do with this?

edit: nvm, didn't realize you could buy a Festive Winter Crate Key. But screw that.

Trade them at TF2TP. They're more likely to have Unusuals in them, so you can get a decent amount of metal for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom