• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
BloodySinner said:
What's wrong with the weapon? The title says it all. It's almost like using the Q3A rocket launcher. It requires some serious aiming.
I WILL HATE IT UNTIL THE DAY I DIEEEEEE AND THEN I WILL HAUNT IT

Twig said:
I WILL HATE IT UNTIL THE DAY I DIEEEEEE AND THEN I WILL HAUNT IT
ludwig.gif

I've spent way too much money on crates to have never gotten an unusual. I know they're called "unusual" for a reason, that's obvious, but the Holiday crates were supposed to have a much better chance. It's pissing me off because you used to be able to be OCD and get one of every item, but I can't even get one of a generic type after spending more money than I care to think about on the privilege of opening those crates that they throw at you.

Of course it's my fault for falling for it, but for as much time as I invest in the game, it feels like being left out when I can't land one, just like how it took forever for me to land a single hat, pre-crafting. I know they're useless, but for how much time I spend playing and talking about the game, and now additional money for virtual items, it feels like a failure that I can't land a single one, as they become more and more commonplace.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Kulock said:
I've spent way too much money on crates to have never gotten an unusual. I know they're called "unusual" for a reason, that's obvious, but the Holiday crates were supposed to have a much better chance. It's pissing me off because you used to be able to be OCD and get one of every item, but I can't even get one of a generic type after spending more money than I care to think about on the privilege of opening those crates that they throw at you.

Of course it's my fault for falling for it, but for as much time as I invest in the game, it feels like being left out when I can't land one, just like how it took forever for me to land a single hat, pre-crafting. I know they're useless, but for how much time I spend playing and talking about the game, and now additional money for virtual items, it feels like a failure that I can't land a single one, as they become more and more commonplace.
Eventually there will be enough that a few (dozen) normal/vintage hats should be able to get them

Xdrive05

TF2-ites, is there a "TF2 for noobs" post/thread? I've owned the game since Orange Box, but I only played it for about a half hour.. like 4 years ago. And since then it blew up into a cultural phenomena, or whatever, I was struck with "oh shiiiii... I've already missed the train-itis" and never picked it up.

So now I've decided to go for it and commit. Any advice for a many-years-lttp guy? Thanks in advance. :)

(._.)

Banned
Just play the game on any pub server that isn't running any crazy game breaking mods. Really just choose any class you're interested in but I suggestmedic as your first class so you are contributing while you're learning. I have some good server IPs itt.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417293

Play on the GAF server also since a lot of the games/players are usually really soft there (sorry
119yp1k.gif
)

Yeef

Xdrive05 said:
TF2-ites, is there a "TF2 for noobs" post/thread? I've owned the game since Orange Box, but I only played it for about a half hour.. like 4 years ago. And since then it blew up into a cultural phenomena, or whatever, I was struck with "oh shiiiii... I've already missed the train-itis" and never picked it up.

So now I've decided to go for it and commit. Any advice for a many-years-lttp guy? Thanks in advance. :)

The Wiki is your best friend.

TF2 isn't an extremely complicated game. Just jump in, play the classes that interest you the most and you'll pick it up fairly quickly. Keep in mind your classes obvious strengths and weaknesses and learn the layouts of the popular maps and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Certain classes are harder to learn on than others (Spy and Engineer are particularly hard to play well with little experience), but even so, if a class really interests you it's better to learn from your mistakes than play a different one.

Don't get too disheartened if you die a lot. TF2 is the sort of game where even great players die semi-frequently. At the same time, if something isn't working try to understand why it isn't working and change up your tactics.

If you're in the US play on the GAF server (tf2.langui.sh). It's often empty, but if you join the GAF TF2 Group on Steam we generally send out an announcements which tends to get the server to fill up (usually around 9~10ish EST). It's a pretty casual server with all talk enabled (everyone can hear everyone else regardless of team or livingness), and most people are friendly and the people that are rude are only playfully so. Having a mic helps a lot since only festisio spay attention to text chat.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yeef said:

TF2 isn't an extremely complicated game. Just jump in, play the classes that interest you the most and you'll pick it up fairly quickly. Keep in mind your classes obvious strengths and weaknesses and learn the layouts of the popular maps and you shouldn't have too much trouble. Certain classes are harder to learn on than others (Spy and Engineer are particularly hard to play well with little experience), but even so, if a class really interests you it's better to learn from your mistakes than play a different one.

And don't be worried or afraid about the new weapons. Every class is still very playable with stock equipment, very few items are straight upgrades, and many times the stock equipment can be the better option for a situation. But use the new item drops as motivation to try new classes, see what options it provides and see what classes you like to play.

Veal

Yeef said:

Don't get too disheartened if you die a lot. TF2 is the sort of game where even great players die semi-frequently. At the same time, if something isn't working try to understand why it isn't working and change up your tactics.

If you're in the US play on the GAF server (tf2.langui.sh). It's often empty, but if you join the GAF TF2 Group on Steam we generally send out an announcements which tends to get the server to fill up (usually around 9~10ish EST). It's a pretty casual server with all talk enabled (everyone can hear everyone else regardless of team or livingness), and most people are friendly and the people that are rude are only playfully so. Having a mic helps a lot since only festisio spay attention to text chat.
Man I'm new to TF2 and this post is awesome. Been having a great time with the game despite being a previous consolite who barely plays FPS's to begin with! I just love the whole TF2 universe, plus people haven't been huge douches! Major plus.

In general I've found the TF2 community to be considerably less caustic than most online FPS communities - I think it's the overarching sense of humor and art style of the game that has kept away a lot of the douchey dudebros. I hope you enjoy yourself, and yeah, don't worry about how often you die. Just keep playing, learn the map layouts, see what other people do and learn from that. TF2 is, in a sense, just throwing bodies at something until you achieve your goal anyways.

Psy-Phi

IMO, the best class for any new player to player is the Medic. As a medic, you don't need to bother with the objectives of the map, and not knowing the map doesn't matter because you will be running around with your team healing them. There's some finesse that comes in with the Medic class during Uber/Kritzkrieg usage (a new player wouldn't even have the Kritz tho right? Been so long), but that isn't something to concern yourself with. And as you do better and better as a medic, not only will the team love to have you around, but you'll be topping the score chart on your team (and points are doled out intelligently for the Medic's duties, the better you are at healing, the higher your points will go).

Medic is the first class I played in TF2, and really got me into it. While I'm sure any class would be fun, the Medic gave me an opportunity to learn the classes, maps, and keep my eye on my surroundings while sitll feeling like I was contributing to the team. I'm usually anxious about beginning a new team oriented game online. Playing Medic let me forget about not being a good player because of my ignorance.

_Bro

Banned
Kulock said:

If it makes you feel better, the best thing I found was the direct hit. I was so cool since I got it right when it first came out.

I was "YEAH! ABOUT TIME!"

and then i had no idea how to play the game against demomans. What a game.

Akim

Banned
I finally picked up TF2 due to the sale. I had it on 360, but when they didn't update it and the community died, I quit. Hoping to get back into it now.

DogWelder

(._.) said:
Just play the game on any pub server that isn't running any crazy game breaking mods. Really just choose any class you're interested in but I suggestmedic as your first class so you are contributing while you're learning. I have some good server IPs itt.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417293

Play on the GAF server also since a lot of the games/players are usually really soft there (sorry
119yp1k.gif
)
Wat? For a pub server, GAF regulars are above average. Although there's no-one that can consistently frustrate anymore ever since Silencer left. What's your in-game name? Can't tell from your GAF username.

Yeef

esc said:
Wat? For a pub server, GAF regulars are above average. Although there's no-one that can consistently frustrate anymore ever since Silencer left. What's your in-game name? Can't tell from your GAF username.
Exclamation mark!

(._.)

Banned
There are some good players on it but I would say there is a general lack of teamwork. I really only play on other three pubs which are top tier with great communities built around them (SourceOP, FreeFrag, etc) so maybe my expectations are high.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Psy-Phi said:
IMO, the best class for any new player to player is the Medic. As a medic, you don't need to bother with the objectives of the map, and not knowing the map doesn't matter because you will be running around with your team healing them. There's some finesse that comes in with the Medic class during Uber/Kritzkrieg usage (a new player wouldn't even have the Kritz tho right? Been so long), but that isn't something to concern yourself with. And as you do better and better as a medic, not only will the team love to have you around, but you'll be topping the score chart on your team (and points are doled out intelligently for the Medic's duties, the better you are at healing, the higher your points will go).

Medic is the first class I played in TF2, and really got me into it. While I'm sure any class would be fun, the Medic gave me an opportunity to learn the classes, maps, and keep my eye on my surroundings while sitll feeling like I was contributing to the team. I'm usually anxious about beginning a new team oriented game online. Playing Medic let me forget about not being a good player because of my ignorance.
I think the Solder and Pyro are other good Classes

Yeef

esc said:
Oh...well then I don't really remember enough to comment one way or the other. Thanks Yeef.
The was plenty of teamwork back in the heyday. I think a lot of the more team-oriented players haven't been playing lately though. Probably a combination of sale games pulling them away and not liking the last few updates.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TF2 is stuck in a negitive feedback loop right now for a lot of Gaf. Because others aren't playing, they aren't playing, thus others don't play. We need to try and get it to be a Positive Feedback loop again, so we all just need to start playing, which others will see us playing, and will play.

DogWelder

I dunno mang, without naming names, several GAF regulars have said they don't play anymore because they've gotten bored or they're frustrated with new-age TF2.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Likely, but still, part of the problem is others not playing the game. The reason I don't play as much is every time I look at the server (Usually at 11PM EST, when I get off of work), no one is playing on the GAF server.

I haven't been playing as much lately because I got a lot of new games for Christmas I've wanted to try out, and also being on vacation gives me less time to play than when I was back in college last semester.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Yeef said:
The was plenty of teamwork back in the heyday. I think a lot of the more team-oriented players haven't been playing lately though. Probably a combination of sale games pulling them away and not liking the last few updates.
I say we need Twig to come back. And Oreo. But mostly Twig.

Twig

Banned
Jangaroo said:
I say we need Twig to come back. And Oreo. But mostly Twig.
Man you haven't been playing for months!

Also: I'm busy with other games (or just one (it's not hard to guess what game would be sucking up ALL OF MY TIME)).

Yeef

Twig said:

Also: I'm busy with other games (or just one (it's not hard to guess what game would be sucking up ALL OF MY TIME)).
Super Mario World, obviously.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:

Just beat WoW already so you can come back to the superior TF2, now with more hat.

I got a Defiant Spartan today, the thing is so ridiculous looking I am keeping it. You will see me coming from a mile away!

IceMarker

I'm fine with TF2, my only issues are A) the store is overpriced in many areas, B) Crates and Keys will always be a useless feature, C) Loch 'n' Load sucks on ice, and D) THEY SHOULD INCREASE THE DROP RATE PERMANENTLY. AGAIN.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I had a Dream last night, where their were new achievements for the Polycount and newer weapons. Make it happen Valve!

Yeef

There really needs to be a server variable to force vanilla items only. It'd be interesting to play that way one night just for nostalgia's sake.

Yeef said:
There really needs to be a server variable to force vanilla items only. It'd be interesting to play that way one night just for nostalgia's sake.
I've played on servers where the Backburner was blocked and it defaulted you back to the flamethrower

I imagine type of scripts like that exist.

But there's a difference between a server saying they want vanilla items only, and actually running a server with only vanilla items. I imagine a "vanilla items" only server wouldn't be that popular when people realize they don't have their sandvich, axetinguisher, equalizer or degreaser anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
VANILLA.
SERVERS.
PEOPLE.

Also, I have 2 extra candycanes I'll trade for a Loch-n-Load.

EDIT: TF2 blog updated? "Shh. Sascha is asleep." is all that shows in my RSS feed o_O

Yeef

enzo_gt said:
VANILLA.
SERVERS.
PEOPLE.
Vanilla servers run a mod that enables that. That's useless. What I want is the ability to change to vanilla on the fly, just as you can change to medieval mode on the fly, highlander mode or change weapon spread on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom