• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeef said:
Vanilla servers run a mod that enables that. That's useless. What I want is the ability to change to vanilla on the fly, just as you can change to medieval mode on the fly, highlander mode or change weapon spread on the fly.
Why would you want to disrupt gameplay halfway through a match? That's equivalent to you losing your connection to Steam mid-game and screaming "fuck" when you realize your loadouts have been reset and cant be changed.

Yeef

enzo_gt said:
Why would you want to disrupt gameplay halfway through a match? That's equivalent to you losing your connection to Steam mid-game and screaming "fuck" when you realize your loadouts have been reset and cant be changed.
Except that's not how it would be at all. It would be me (or someone else) saying "Hey, do you guys wanna play a vanilla match next round?"

"Yeah, sure." "Sounds good." "Alright."

"Alright, let me just set it up."

No need to install any mods, restart the server or anything else.

Remy

Server is back up and now SourceMod enabled. Haven't played much on it yet but seems okay. Certainly less console error than with Mani.

I'll throw out a Steam invite tonight for some evening spah checkin'.

Yeef

Twig said:
Vanilla mode would make me ragequit every time people wanted to do it. :3

WORST.
But you play Spy and Heavy always talk about how bad the Spy and heavy weapons are. I don't understand.

Vanilla mode would suck for Pyro, but just about every other class would be fine.

Javaman said:
Maybe not vanilla mode, but a mode that cuts out everything added after the last class update. (engineer?)
That'd be cool as well.

(._.)

Banned
Javaman said:
Maybe not vanilla mode, but a mode that cuts out everything added after the last class update. (engineer?)
I would say everything after the Engy update. You crazy, mini sentry imho.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
But you play Spy and Heavy always talk about how bad the Spy and heavy weapons are. I don't understand.
???

I have nothing against any of the spy weapons and the only heavy weapon I hate is natascha.

Also I only rarely play heavy.

Remy

For those of you not in the Steam group, we're starting things up in 10 minutes. See you on the server!

tf2.langui.sh

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
???

I have nothing against any of the spy weapons and the only heavy weapon I hate is natascha.

Also I only rarely play heavy.
Twig said:
EDIT: Also, the ambassador is a horrible, terrible, awful excuse for a weapon. Don't use it. Ever. Seriously. It's bad.
... D:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just giving you a hard time. I like trying to headshot snipers but then I have to shoot them AGAIN so yeah.

Yeef

So many stax.

Good times.

Twig said:
oh yeah good point i forgot ambassador exists because it's so bad that no one uses it
I've seen you bad mouth the Dead Ringer (Crazily so) and the Cloak and Dagger (rightfully so).

Forkball

I got my first paint drop (A Deep Commitment to Purple) tonight on the GAF server. For some reason I always get pretty good drops on the GAF server.

Morris

Disco Devil
I'm new too, was playing Medic, Scout and Sniper on the GAF server (I'm FloydM7). It was pretty fun and I wasn't doing too bad to be my first time playing :lol

Yeef

AcciDante said:
You weren't around a corner, YEEF!
I was around TWO corners. Learn how lag compensation works, and then stop having 99 ping!

[Edit] This is a better link: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Interpolation#Lag_compensation

Network latencies and lag compensation can create paradoxes that seem illogical compared to the real world. For example, you can be hit by an attacker you can't even see anymore because you already took cover. What happened is that the server moved your player hitboxes back in time, where you were still exposed to your attacker.

I need to set sv_fluxcapacitor to 0. That would fix everything.

Forkball

Speaking of lag, recently I've been getting a lot of it. One time I jumped on a server and it was unplayable due to the insane lag I was getting. I restarted my network and it seemed to fix it, but tonight on the GAF server I got more lag than I ever got on it. I don't know if this is because of the high traffic Steam is getting due to the sales or what.

Nabs

RocketDarkness said:
I crafted that hat about a week ago, finally. Still haven't really used it, since I don't have much experience with the Dead Ringer. But it looks nice! I have a fez. Fezzes are cool.

Dude, we should play sometime. It could be funny.

Also, I'm a fan of the DR because I'm impatient. You don't have to use it with the set. I do recommend that you give it a test, because it's pretty quiet, and fun.

I have a Fez because I like the way it looks. I never use the set bonus though, since I hate YER.

I hope they remove the need for a hat on the set bonus, so I can wear the Fez without getting tons of trade requests, and people raging at me.

It only gets worse when I have the fez + big kill.

jdogmoney

I would do naughty things for a Larrikin Robin...

I have any of the following:

Frontier Justice
Jag
Dalokhos Bar
Ambassador
Cloak and Dagger
Backburner
Homewrecker
Chargin' Targe
Equalizer
Natascha
Razorback
Jarate
Tribalman's Shiv

A Grenadier's Softcap would be okay, too, but only because I have the other things for that outfit.

Psy-Phi

TF2 GAF, time for shameless self-promotion: I started a server last month, US West Coast; yet to get a lot of traffic running through it yet and tryin' to change that.

It's just the official Valve signed-off maps, running ALL TALK, nothing else special (and no HLStatsX). The community that plays there, occasionally, prefers those settings (All Talk & No Crit). They like No Spread too but I'm not too sold on that one yet, might be why they don't play there unless the other two servers for the community are full :p.

Anyway, just trying to get people to come through you can connect to: TF2.NeuroticApe.net, or if you prefer IP 173.230.150.176:27015. If nothing else, add it to your favorites and when you see some people on, hop in. Unless you are looking for special mods or maps. Need to see what the bandwidth will be like with a full server before I think about adding any third party maps that people would ave to download.

Also, open to ideas to make the server stand out a bit. May not implement them, but know that I'll listen. There's an advert that pops up every round with my e-mail addy for the server. Write em in there, or PM me here.

EDIT: Crits are on again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
jdogmoney said:
I would do naughty things for a Larrikin Robin...

I have any of the following:

Frontier Justice
Jag
Dalokhos Bar
Ambassador
Cloak and Dagger
Backburner
Homewrecker
Chargin' Targe
Equalizer
Natascha
Razorback
Jarate
Tribalman's Shiv

A Grenadier's Softcap would be okay, too, but only because I have the other things for that outfit.
Unless the value of hats crashed while I wasn't looking, I don't think you are going to get a good one for that. You may be able to get an Elis Cap though!

running ALL TALK and NOCRIT
That is where I went "Pass", Nonrandom Critical hits are so built into the game as it is, that I for one enjoy the random Critical Hits on top of it. Plus, they aren't completely random, Melee has a higher rate to make up for the lack of range, plus there is the increase in chance for every point of damage you do while alive.

Twig is on the West Coast, he doesn't have a problem playing the current or past main Gaf Server, Bacon is on British Prison Island, and doesn't have to many issues still.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope at least it is No random crit and not No crit at all. No crits at all would be more terrible and change the dynamic a lot, though I am almost sure it is the former.

No spread I never really minded. Other then the really artificial look of it, I don't think it makes much of an impact on gameplay.

Twig said:
I used to have 20 ping to Java's server, and even then I'd get killed by magic around-the-corner bullets. By people with similarly low pings, no less! \:
I had ridiculously low ping with Java's server, it was usually in the single digits! Although part of that might have been being at college where there was fiber optic internet...

Javaman

Twig said:
I used to have 20 ping to Java's server, and even then I'd get killed by magic around-the-corner bullets. By people with similarly low pings, no less! \:

That was just my anti-Twig script doing it's thing.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Akim said:
I opened up a crate with my holiday key and got "pink as hell" :lol

is that worth anything to anyone?
You can likely get some reclaimed metal for it, maybe Refined. I wish I got paint to drop more often for me, I would enjoy painting a few of my hats.

Psy-Phi

Drkirby said:
Unless the value of hats crashed while I wasn't looking, I don't think you are going to get a good one for that. You may be able to get an Elis Cap though!

That is where I went "Pass", Nonrandom Critical hits are so built into the game as it is, that I for one enjoy the random Critical Hits on top of it. Plus, they aren't completely random, Melee has a higher rate to make up for the lack of range, plus there is the increase in chance for every point of damage you do while alive.

Twig is on the West Coast, he doesn't have a problem playing the current or past main Gaf Server, Bacon is on British Prison Island, and doesn't have to many issues still.
I kind of agree with you, but it does make the game a bit more skill based to not have random crits destroy you. I'll turn it off for now and see if it makes a difference.

Twig said:
barf in my mouth why don't you

i'm sorry but i just won't play on a server like that!

:lol Sorry Twig, since the folks who desire that setting really don't play frequently I don't mind turning it off for a while to see if it gets more people through. I only hate crit rockets anyway :p.

Honestly, I'd like to find a plug in that put up for vote during the setup time of the match things like Random Crits y/n? All talk y/n? Unlockable weapons y/n? Kind of leave it up to hte people playing at the time so that if an admin isn't on (me and one friend) there's still some kind of control for the playerbase. I bet there is one that lets me put that in. Just new to this admin stuff (wanted to start a server with the idea of the unlockable put up for a vote).

Forkball

As much as I hate a random crit that kills me at full or near full health, they are part of the game. It keeps matches dynamic and interesting, and they've saved my ass more times than I can count.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
+1 for no crits no sale. I fucking love crits, they keep the WTF and spice in the game that would otherwise make it stale. Much like the physics in Halo, so many weird bugs and glitches, and NO ONE complains because they make it the awesome game it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom