• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, I just found the Huntsman, finally. I had some fun testing it out in Medieval mode. I was surprised when I found out my arrow was on fire. I discovered that completely by accident...it felt good :p

Now to get the Medic's crossbow.

dragonlife29 said:
Yay, I just found the Huntsman, finally. I had some fun testing it out in Medieval mode. I was surprised when I found out my arrow was on fire. I discovered that completely by accident...it felt good :p

Now to get the Medic's crossbow.

The Pyro can also set the Sniper's arrow on fire.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BloodySinner said:
The Pyro can also set the Sniper's arrow on fire.
Or in Degroot keep, he can put his huntsman next to the lit torches to light it, since pyros don't have their primary or secondary weapons capable of creating fire in that mode.

Yasae

Banned
Twig said:
I used to have 20 ping to Java's server, and even then I'd get killed by magic around-the-corner bullets. By people with similarly low pings, no less! \:
Well we'll see who has the bigger ping... I mean, lower ping this week.

And if I can find the server, because the add IPs function showed nothing. I had my good internet running this week in the single digits for most servers. Lower ping does give you some advantage unless you face off against people with really high latencies. It was plain easier to make kills; I usually had the upper hand and could react quicker if there was sloppy hit detection. Direct hit, scout, and sniper were all very usable and effective.

Sibylus

Banned
Crits: for. The game is a little bit more sterile without them. Boto likes the pizazz.

enzo_gt said:
Or in Degroot keep, he can put his huntsman next to the lit torches to light it, since pyros don't have their primary or secondary weapons capable of creating fire in that mode.
As an amateur history enthusiast, I totally geeked out at the addition of braziers to this map :D

Clydefrog

Psy-Phi said:
TF2 GAF, time for shameless self-promotion: I started a server last month, US West Coast; yet to get a lot of traffic running through it yet and tryin' to change that.

It's just the official Valve signed-off maps, running ALL TALK, nothing else special (and no HLStatsX). The community that plays there, occasionally, prefers those settings (All Talk & No Crit). They like No Spread too but I'm not too sold on that one yet, might be why they don't play there unless the other two servers for the community are full :p.

Anyway, just trying to get people to come through you can connect to: TF2.NeuroticApe.net, or if you prefer IP 173.230.150.176:27015. If nothing else, add it to your favorites and when you see some people on, hop in. Unless you are looking for special mods or maps. Need to see what the bandwidth will be like with a full server before I think about adding any third party maps that people would ave to download.

Also, open to ideas to make the server stand out a bit. May not implement them, but know that I'll listen. There's an advert that pops up every round with my e-mail addy for the server. Write em in there, or PM me here.

EDIT: Crits are on again.

a best coast GAF server? HELL YEAH! i'll try to hop on whenever i'm in a tf2 mood :D

Remy

Code:
Fixed an exploit related to The Amputator.
Duel result notifications now show the winner's Steam avatar.
Fixed the alpha channel for CP_Yukon's donation stamp.
Fixed a client crash caused by overflowing the audio buffer.
The Earbuds and the Gentle Manne's Service Medal are now gift-wrappable.
Stock TF2 weapons with custom names or descriptions are now gift-wrappable.
Updated DeGroot Keep to fix a problem with missing models.
Fixed a server takeover exploit related to point_servercommand entities.
Fixed an exploit that allowed servers to circumvent the restrictions on commands they're allowed to force clients to issue.
Festive Winter Keys have been changed to regular MannCo Crate keys.

Updating server as we speak.

EDIT: Update done, we're back up. Who wants to play?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hahahaha that's what people were talking about :lol

I always love messing around with that stuff, but I missed out this time.

Nabs said:
Dude, we should play sometime. It could be funny.

Also, I'm a fan of the DR because I'm impatient. You don't have to use it with the set. I do recommend that you give it a test, because it's pretty quiet, and fun.
I'm totally down for that. When do you usually play, and on which servers? I'm not particularly tied to one server, though I do mostly frequent GAF and the Lost Continents.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So after watching RD at work I decided to try and go back to using the regular Spy Watch just for kicks on Coldfront. By the gods I've forgotten how much farther you can travel while cloaked compared to the Cloak and Dagger.

Yeah, the GAF games earlier were awesome :D I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover TF2 but I'm glad I play it now.

Ever since I got the Huntsman, I have loved playing as Sniper. I think I'm getting better each time I use him and have scored some incredible kills that make me go ":eek:." Some of them are luck but some of them are intentional...and it's awesome.

On that Coldfront game, I was up sniping on the hill and an enemy Pyro/Sniper combo came after me and I got headshots on both in about 2 seconds. Point-blank. I died right after, sure, but after that happened I was pumped for more.

Jangaroo

I was watching you a little bit while I was cloaked. I decloaked and then out of nowhere some soldier was chasing after me and I was like an itch from death but then you got him and I was all, "Thank god for Dragon and his huntsman." And then I proceeded to backstab three people afterwards. Was a good game.

Jangaroo

Man I tell ya you and Silencer were super hard to backstab. You guys kept looking behind and I was all, "STOP TURNING AROUND GOSH DARN IT LET ME STAB YOU!!!"

That's why I hate playing Spy :lol I always feel like everyone knows I'm there or they bump into me/turn around. And they usually do -_-

I was there for a little while on Blu team playing Spy on Upward. The Engi on red team had super spy detection and knew when I was dead ringing every single time. Not a single backstab until I switched back to the old knife, instead of YER.

koshunter said:
I was there for a little while on Blu team playing Spy on Upward. The Engi on red team had super spy detection and knew when I was dead ringing every single time. Not a single backstab until I switched back to the old knife, instead of YER.
There's a fair number of tells that someone's Dead Ringing. If they aren't attacking when perhaps they should be, they might be Dead Ringing. If they die from the first hit, they might be Dead Ringing. If you hear their footsteps afterwards, they might be Dead Ringing. Footsteps are difficult to hear in the heat of battle, but if it's just you and the engineer, it's not particularly hard.

For people that have good spy detection, if the situation permits, it may be better to try and drop down from higher ground directly behind them. Alternatively, open fire with the revolver. It's a hell of a strong gun when you can get a good shot or two off before they even realize where you are.

And yeah, it was fun spying with you Jangaroo. You freaked me out when you came up behind me, so I took a couple of shots at you and apparently convinced them you were on their team, hahah. I do plan on getting some practice with the Dead Ringer at some point, but it's hard to get used to the limited cloak time, hahah.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jangaroo said:
Man I tell ya you and Silencer were super hard to backstab. You guys kept looking behind and I was all, "STOP TURNING AROUND GOSH DARN IT LET ME STAB YOU!!!"
I think he turns his sound up to hear decloaks

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How can one join the GAF server, I haven't figured it out yet :)

(pretty new to TF2, too)

Bufbaf said:
How can one join the GAF server, I haven't figured it out yet :)

(pretty new to TF2, too)
Go to favorite tab in-game, click add server and put tf2.langui.sh on it.

Spy has been getting harder to use when there are like 5 friggin pyros on the enemy side spy checking everything with two dispensers near by.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Go to favorite tab in-game, click add server and put tf2.langui.sh on it.

Spy has been getting harder to use when there are like 5 friggin pyros on the enemy side spy checking everything with two dispensers near by.
The trick is to disguise as a dispenser.

They'll never see it coming!

Cipherr

Ok so I was getting my shit rocked on the GAF servers yesterday trying to learn to play a spy. This is so much harder than just taking a heavy. I need to know:

Can people hear me decloaking?

Do I have to wait for my cloak to fully fade before I can backstab?

If Im disguised as the opposing team, and I'm running about with my knife out, do they see me as a Sniper running around with a Knife (I.E. Suspicious as fuck :lol ) or do they see a Sniper running about with his rifle like normal? There's like, no mirrors in the game so Ive been unable to figure this out. And the game doesn't seem to have a tutorial for the class either.

Ive tried to set my hotkeys for the weapon swaps, but even then it doesn't just PULL THE WEAPON OUT, it activates that "menu" on the right side of the screen, and I still have to mouse click to 'select' it. Is there anyway around this pointless ass delay? Two button clicks to actually equip the weapon is annoying. Especially when trying to learn to backstab an engineer then sap a level 3 sentry.

Whats the deal with rocket jumping as a soldier? I'm hearing I need to fire at the ground behind me? And something about crouch jumping to go higher?

The rate at which I find items seems to have decreased incredibly since I started. The first few days when I bought the game, it was a bow here, a knife there, a direct hit there, on and on. Now I don't get anything but these locked boxes and the keys never drop.

Does the soldiers Black Box rocket launcher have the same reduced splash damage as the direct hit? It doesn't have the red text saying it does, but I noticed on the blueprint that its made from metal, and a direct hit. I don't know if it inherits the direct hits stats or not.

I hate to dump all that here, but hopefully someone can answer some of them for me.

Cipherr said:
Ok so I was getting my shit rocked on the GAF servers yesterday trying to learn to play a spy. This is so much harder than just taking a heavy. I need to know:

Yes.

Yes.

If Im disguised as the opposing team, and I'm running about with my knife out, do they see me as a Sniper running around with a Knife (I.E. Suspicious as fuck :lol ) or do they see a Sniper running about with his rifle like normal? There's like, no mirrors in the game so Ive been unable to figure this out. And the game doesn't seem to have a tutorial for the class either.

In the bottom right, where it shows which class you're disguised as, it will show the actual player who you're disguised as, as well as the weapon currently equipped. You can change the weapon by pressing the "Last Disguise" button (default: B). This will change your displayed weapon to the slot you have selected (ie Revolver => Primary, Knife => Melee)

Ive tried to set my hotkeys for the weapon swaps, but even then it doesn't just PULL THE WEAPON OUT, it activates that "menu" on the right side of the screen, and I still have to mouse click to 'select' it. Is there anyway around this pointless ass delay? Two button clicks to actually equip the weapon is annoying. Especially when trying to learn to backstab an engineer then sap a level 3 sentry.

It's somewhere in the Advanced Multiplayer options menu.

Whats the deal with rocket jumping as a soldier? I'm hearing I need to fire at the ground behind me? And something about crouch jumping to go higher?

Rocket jumping involves using the explosion of the rocket to propel yourself. Depending on the angle, you can use it to move forward or upwards in an instant. Crouching after you jump increases the propulsion.

The rate at which I find items seems to have decreased incredibly since I started. The first few days when I bought the game, it was a bow here, a knife there, a direct hit there, on and on. Now I don't get anything but these locked boxes and the keys never drop.

Keys don't drop. Assuming you bought the game during the recent sale, they had an increased drop rate active during that time. Expect roughly 4-8 items per week from here on out. And no, crates don't use up your item drop slots.

Does the soldiers Black Box rocket launcher have the same reduced splash damage as the direct hit? It doesn't have the red text saying it does, but I noticed on the blueprint that its made from metal, and a direct hit. I don't know if it inherits the direct hits stats or not.

Nope. Normal rocket functionality.

I hate to dump all that here, but hopefully someone can answer some of them for me.

Oh, and if you're new, don't play Spy. Understanding the other classes is fairly important to understanding how to play Spy.

Blizzard

Banned
I should try to find time for TF2 again at some point.

I played some in the last week or so and was goofing off with spy, and I think even if I didn't decloak near him, there was the most paranoid sniper on cold front I have ever seen. Maybe I killed him a few times one game, but once it turned to cold front he would constantly check behind himself while standing on a hill, and almost every single time he saw me he would endlessly run around the area near the second point chasing me as I dead ringer'd. I did so badly. :lol It was kind of fun trying to fight him though. Every once in a while you run into someone like that...pyros are also bad to keep chasing you once they suspect where you are, and NEVER FORGIVE YOU AND NEVER GIVE UP. ;_;

btw, teammates playing pyro should use the damn airblast. I swear I was the only pyro using it, I saved tons of teammates on fire thanks to it; at least they appreciate my efforts since they said I was the only helpful Pyro.

Jangaroo

Most people seem to forget that airblasting puts out fire. And I swear that I was quite a bit far away from them when I decloaked. They're just really good at looking behind them periodically like Sciz.

Yeef

Cipherr said:
Yes. The dead ringer decloak is significantly louder than the other watches.

Yes. The Cloak/decloak animation takes 1 second. During that time you can't attack. There's a similar delay with disguising (assuming you're using the default knife). Disguising as your own team is faster than disguising as an enemy. Disguising when cloaked, no matter the team, is also slightly faster than when uncloaked.

By default when you disguise your disguise will be wielding its primary weapon. If you look at the disguise overlay it'll tell you which weapon your disguise has equipped (see image). Pressing the 'last disguise' key (default b) while disguised will make your disguise switch to the corresponding weapon of whatever class you're disguised as. For example, if you have your knife out hitting B will make your disguise switch weapon to their melee weapon.
Disguise_hud.png

Q will autoswitch to your last weapon without changing any default settings. That said, If you go to options > Multiplayer you can enable quick switch which makes all weapons switch without bringing up the menu. You can also set the game to remember the weapons you used most recently before you died. When you're doing a sap + stab it's a good idea to take out your sapper then switch to your knife. That way when you stab all you have to do is press q to ready your sapper.

To rocket jump you jump and hit yourself with your own explosion. Depending on the trajectory of your shot you can either get really high or go forward really fast. Crouching jump before shooting will make you go higher/further.

The way the TF2 drop system works you get a limited number of drops per week. Once you hit that limit you won't get anymore until the drop cap is reset (Wednesday nights at around 8pm EST). The nice thing is that if you don't hint your limit the extras will roll over into the next week. Generally 6~8 hours of playing will make you hit the cap.

I'm assuming you started recently. A week or two ago there was a double drop rate for Christmas. basically everyone got twice as many drops for the week compared to normal. Even if you didn't play during that time if you already owned the game a bunch of those drops may have rolled over for you.

The Black Box is identical to the standard rocket launcher except that it has 1 fewer shot per clip and heals 15 health if it scores a hit on someone. If a pyro reflects the rocket they'll get the 15 health when it hits someone rather than you.

You can find the answers to just about every TF2 question on the official TF2 Wiki.

Blizzard said:
Every once in a while you run into someone like that...pyros are also bad to keep chasing you once they suspect where you are, and NEVER FORGIVE YOU AND NEVER GIVE UP. ;_;

The most entertaining thing when you're playing Pyro is when you randomly puff a patch of air, maybe even by accident, and suddenly a Spy lights up. You can just hear the scream of frustration in their head
because I've been in that position myself

I finally got my Croc Helmet the other day, so I decided to mess with the Sydney Sleeper again. While it was funny to see an enemy Sniper take shots at me over and over and not kill me (because he was always aiming for my head), has anyone else noticed the rifle can be... "quirky"? It's extremely sensitive to teammates walking in front of your shot, even more than the Sniper Rifle usually is (probably because of the October 6th fix), and I think it doesn't know what to do with headshots sometimes. They're supposed to count, just not crit, but sometimes it seemed to flat-out ignore them. I think because it's so unpopular, there are some lingering bugs that aren't going to get polished out for a long time.

Still, it's great just to troll other Snipers who don't pick up on it.

Yasae

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Most people seem to forget that airblasting puts out fire. And I swear that I was quite a bit far away from them when I decloaked. They're just really good at looking behind them periodically like Sciz.
That's exactly when backs are most open.

The only thing I really hate are stair stabs because, you know... Those don't connect in the first place. They're exploitative. Even if you crouch they still hit you. It's buggy trash. Thankfully there aren't too many places to use it.

Sciz de-friended me long ago.

Sgt.Pepper said:
btw, teammates playing pyro should use the damn airblast. I swear I was the only pyro using it, I saved tons of teammates on fire thanks to it; at least they appreciate my efforts since they said I was the only helpful Pyro.
I don't use it because I have the Backburner equipped, and that takes away the ability to do so. Otherwise, I would.

Good games again, GAF. Some great defense on both teams. And damn you, oreolo(?). You got me good as Sniper :lol

Oreoleo

dragonlife29 said:
Good games again, GAF. Some great defense on both teams. And damn you, oreolo(?). You got me good as Sniper :lol

Hah, thanks. It's a rarity I'm up to par with the sniper rifle, so I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love the new rake, anther useful Pyro Melee weapon to add to his arsenal of useful situational stuff. Now if they just remove the hats to the Polycount sets, I will be golden, being able to change from 10% speed to 50%+ Healthpack/75% Slower Medic Healing to the Heavy Killer , Axtinguisher, and the Mini-Sentrys Worse nightmare, the Homewrecker.

Still love using the Flare Gun every now and then, but it is something you just have to put away once you can no longer keep some distance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
RocketDarkness said:
I think I'm gettin' the hang of the Dead Ringer, hahah. Managed to break my Points/Kills/Backstab records today. :D
Deadringer on goldrush is silly.
Invincible killing MACHINE.

Hazaro said:
Deadringer on goldrush is silly.

Much more so before DR's last nerf. It was basically god mode in this part of the map.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufAcdhTOVI

Spy's first set of unlockables got nerfed soooo many times. I still miss the days when being a combat spy was a good option since DR decloaks did not drain metal. Ambassador didn't have cooldown either, pierced through enemies and had hitbox detection that would make Huntsman green with envy. :lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wolf Akela said:
Much more so before DR's last nerf. It was basically god mode in this part of the map.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufAcdhTOVI

Spy's first set of unlockables got nerfed soooo many times. I still miss the days when being a combat spy was a good option since DR decloaks did not drain metal. Ambassador didn't have cooldown either, pierced through enemies and had hitbox detection that would make Huntsman green with envy. :lol
This is why you need some of every class, a Pyro would of been able to help take down that spy without to much trouble. Heck, a bunch of classes could of, just communicate with your team. "Hey, there is a dead Ringer Spy over here before the first capture point I can't kill, anyone able to help?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom