• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeef said:
When I get a chance (probably Monday) I'm going to modify the demo page so that it shows who played in each demo and which team they were on and which class they were. Maybe I'll also add a search box to search based on player name.

Pro-ass shit. Not that I would ever willfully interact with the demo playback system ever again, I just like things that are neat. Maybe also add the additional instructions like ~ for console playdemo <filename> and Shift + F2.

Also apparently Cuban Legend doesn't know about the uberwhip. Yes, seriously, I waste ubers by whipping people. Also, you really shouldn't be ubering me because I only have 3 rockets. When I run out, I'm going to start whipping. We still took C on Steel, so suck it. Also it's BorgNINE like the number, not neen. Also, you're a gold farmer. Also cocks.

Also I almost said something on the mic last night.

Also king of page 169.

Acerac

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
How boring.

The problem with people who like payload more than any other mode is that they seem to be incapable of enjoying a game that ends in a stalemate. Whatashame.
*Shrug* I guess some people find both teams being walled exciting. Who am I to judge? ;)

Ooh, nice ninja-edit. I learned to play this game on 5 gorge, I can appreciate a good stalemate. At least on 5 gorge you can always make meaningful progress, even if it can be wiped out.

Acerac said:
*Shrug* I guess some people find both teams being walled exciting. Who am I to judge? ;)
Hightower never feels like that, though. You just have bad taste!

BAD TASTE!!!

While I can understand your distaste for stalemates, you're wrong.

Also Hightower is beautifully designed to be fun for EVERY class, no matter how you play. It's open, it's vertical, it's horizontal, it's not too big. It's fucking fantastic.

Sianos

I'd rather play a five hour hightower match where every class is viable than sit through the forty hour long spamfest that is Dustbowl/Goldrush/Hoodoo/Payload in general.

You can't really "wall" hightower, there's no good sentry spots and if you need crowd and sentry control get a wartime Demo. Every class is viable there, instead of the soldier/demo/heavy/medic of payload. As a heavy/medic person, I see why you like prefer regular payload. :p

For stock Gullywash they drained the water under the point leaving a cavern instead, which is the one thing I dislike about it now. The water was a neat gimmick and was why it was called Gullywash. But oh well, its still a great map and they probably did that for balance reasons to help pyro ambushes.

Acerac

Banned
NSQuote said:
I'd rather play a five hour hightower match where every class is viable than sit through the forty hour long spamfest that is Dustbowl/Goldrush/Hoodoo/Payload in general.

You can't really "wall" hightower, there's no good sentry spots and if you need crowd and sentry control get a wartime Demo. Every class is viable there, instead of the soldier/demo/heavy/medic of payload. As a heavy/medic person, I see why you like prefer regular payload. :p
There's no purposeful walling, it just kind of happens due to the design of the map.

For reference, I'm more of a medic/engy person, but it is a good point that that may be why I dislike the map as I don't feel that either of the classes can excel during hightower. Medics die too quickly to be able to reasonably build uber and are too easy to flank, making it very difficult for even skilled teammates to give them the protection they need. Engies on the other hand get almost no use out of teleporters which have always been my favorite aspect of the class. Beyond that, their sentries are horrifically easy to pick off making for a frustrating experience.

I agree that the 7 classes I like less than my main 2 are pretty decent at the map however. Hence the reason I'm always playing soldier/heavy on the map. -_-

Javaman

Togglesworlh said:
Demoman is gonna be better than a soldier with direct hit, though.

Losing the splash damage cripples the soldier so much. It's just not worth it.

This is exactly the problem with most regular payload maps. It's either a complete steamroll or you're beating your head against a brick wall.

At least with Hightower, there's a good sense of back and forth. It's fucking awesome.
The demo is limited by range though. Sure you can charge up the shots for distant targets or stuff above you but any decent engineer can out heal you. Rockets on the otherhand can kill them from anywhere and any distance. To me its a lot harder to defend against those 2 quick rockets. The kill window is very small, just a second or two. A demo lobbing stuff blindly won't be able to see that I've shot 1/2 of his grenades or moved my sentry to saftey.

I may be the only one, but I LOVE maps that are stalematey. (Warpath, barnblitz (lesser so these days since people havve figured out good offensive eng spots) and sometimes hydro.) It just means tghat the teams are pretty even and it'll actually take some teamwork to push through. Maybe those maps would be more fun w\o alltalk where you can actually coofdinate something.

Tenck

Acerac likes easy matches :/

Hightower is the bestestestestestestest map ever.

You and I should be best friends from now on Toggle! You have great taste in maps.

Acerac

Banned
Tenck said:
Acerac likes easy matches :/

You and I should be best friends from now on Toggle! You have great taste in maps.
Acerac likes playing the classes he enjoys and maps where the characters he enjoys aren't gimp! ;)

Acerac said:
There's no purposeful walling, it just kind of happens due to the design of the map.

For reference, I'm more of a medic/engy person, but it is a good point that that may be why I dislike the map as I don't feel that either of the classes can excel during hightower. Medics die too quickly to be able to reasonably build uber and are too easy to flank, making it very difficult for even skilled teammates to give them the protection they need. Engies on the other hand get almost no use out of teleporters which have always been my favorite aspect of the class. Beyond that, their sentries are horrifically easy to pick off making for a frustrating experience.

I agree that the 7 classes I like less than my main 2 are pretty decent at the map however. Hence the reason I'm always playing soldier/heavy on the map. -_-
Agree with Medic, but Gunslinger Engi dominates that map horribly well. Just like most KOTH maps.

Acerac

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
Agree with Medic, but Gunslinger Engi dominates that map horribly well. Just like most KOTH maps.
Fair enough. I do get a good amount of use from slinger engie on the map. The speed at which you can build/rebuild minisentries is amazing.

Javaman said:
The demo is limited by range though. Sure you can charge up the shots for distant targets or stuff above you but any decent engineer can out heal you. Rockets on the otherhand can kill them from anywhere and any distance. To me its a lot harder to defend against those 2 quick rockets. The kill window is very small, just a second or two. A demo lobbing stuff blindly won't be able to see that I've shot 1/2 of his grenades or moved my sentry to saftey.
That's actually a fair point on the range, but the sacrifice you have to make for the direct hit is just way too huge to make it worth it. X:

I may be the only one, but I LOVE maps that are stalematey. (Warpath, barnblitz (lesser so these days since people havve figured out good offensive eng spots) and sometimes hydro.) It just means tghat the teams are pretty even and it'll actually take some teamwork to push through. Maybe those maps would be more fun w\o alltalk where you can actually coofdinate something.
I really love Warpath but I honestly think it's mostly nostalgia from during beta when we would play that multiple times a night. When we've been playing it recently, it hasn't really been stalematey, though. Hah.

Barnblitz is one of the few payload maps I almost enjoy except that the way it's designed means there's not much "long range". I like Cashworks way more, though. X:

Tenck said:

Damn right. O:<

My drops so far this week: Black Box, Battalion's Backup, L'estranger. lol

I'm starting to get >7 kills as a Scout on non-Valve servers regularly. Could it be I am actually improving? :O :O

Sianos

I got the new booties a drop, which is nice because NU WEAAAAAAPON... but its still the booties.

While the set looks very nice, its a bit odd having the booties and the bottle in the same set.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
NSQuote said:
I got the new booties a drop, which is nice because NU WEAAAAAAPON... but its still the booties.

While the set looks very nice, its a bit odd having the booties and the bottle in the same set.
Oh, the peg leg? Yeah, it is odd, but I want dat Pegleg.

Bakphoon

Just got this:

nb0XU.jpg

I thought Bill's Hat is level 10?

So I see it shows you guys when other people (like me) get that stupid Reliable Snapshot Overflow Error... Also, I couldn't see all the arrows in Oreo's head...

mojiimbo

Blizzard said:
...? It wasn't even me, was it?
Not sure if it's what he's talking about but you were giving "some guy with a Sniper unusual" a hard time on Badwater during that one round where you guys only made it past the first or second point. He's new to the server so he probably doesn't know most people don't really mean it personally.

Blizzard

Banned
mojiimbo said:
Not sure if it's what he's talking about but you were giving "some guy with a Sniper unusual" a hard time on Badwater during that one round where you guys only made it past the first or second point. He's new to the server so he probably doesn't know most people don't really mean it personally.
I apologize. I try to typically blame myself for most things but sometimes (all the time?) I gripe if there are scouts or snipers not helping. Sorry to be rude.

Oreoleo

cooljeanius said:
Also, I couldn't see all the arrows in Oreo's head...

Yeah I don't know what that was all about, guess it's just a limitation of the demo/replay system? Dante must have shot 10 or more into my head, it looked really cool until they all disappeared by the time we capped the first point :(

Forkball

EmCeeGramr said:
crap I think my keyboard's dying

the demos from tonight will show me jerking around and suddenly not moving or aiming like a lunatic
So your keyboard is possessed by Dog Chasing Cars?

Yeef

Because the item servers kept going down. Time spent playing while the item servers are down count toward your time limit even though you don't get drops during that time.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I been stuck at Preparing to Load TF2 part for the last 2 days :/

Did my Update failed or the servers just too crazy?

Borgnine said:
Pro-ass shit. Not that I would ever willfully interact with the demo playback system ever again, I just like things that are neat. Maybe also add the additional instructions like ~ for console playdemo <filename> and Shift + F2.

Also apparently Cuban Legend doesn't know about the uberwhip. Yes, seriously, I waste ubers by whipping people. Also, you really shouldn't be ubering me because I only have 3 rockets. When I run out, I'm going to start whipping. We still took C on Steel, so suck it. Also it's BorgNINE like the number, not neen. Also, you're a gold farmer. Also cocks.

Also I almost said something on the mic last night.

Also king of page 169.
Hey bro. chill. bro. bro chill. chill bro bro

I didn't expect you to be some weirdo who didn't go around trying to kill people when ubered. Just sayin

YOUR MOTHER IS A GOLD FARMER

ALSO, GOLD COCKS
Bakphoon said:
Just got this:

nb0XU.jpg

I thought Bill's Hat is level 10?
henk_holl_by_fireborn4sjx0.jpg

Forkball

I could buy real Pyro dolls for $10!

Also it seems like the Decal Tool drops, though I assume it's fairly rare like the Name or Description Tags. Valve redeemed.

Forkball said:
People want 12 refined for the Pyro Conscience.

Fuck you TF2 economy.

considering a refined is worth about $.80 and the Cremator's Conscience sells for 9.99 in the mann store, 12 refined is about equal to its worth right now. Just wait for more people to get drops and it's value in metal goes down.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anony said:
is that suppose to be some chinese knockoff of bill's hat lol
Nope, its the German Version.

No clue why it is level 5 though, try and see if someone will give you a million moneys for it or something.

Yeef

Latst update broke my clientscheme.res so that a bunch of menus are just white nothingness. I'll have to rejigger it.

Top Bottom